Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

If USSR had lost to Nazi Germany?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Red4tribe View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Red4tribe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: If USSR had lost to Nazi Germany?
    Posted: 06-Jul-2006 at 15:44
I know even if Moscow had been taken Russia would have not suredered I am just pointing out how close the Germans were to Moscow.If Moscow had been taken the morale of the Russian people would have fallen fast..
Had this day been wanting, the world had never seen the last stage of perfection to which human nature is capable of attaining.

George Washington - March 15, 1783

Gundamor View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gundamor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2006 at 19:56
Close is only good in horseshoes and hand grenades. Russia was alot stronger then people give them credit. Even at that timeframe. And remember Napoleon took Moscow yet still failed as probably would the Germans.
"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind"
Red4tribe View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Red4tribe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2006 at 15:50
Germany would have never conqured the whole world but Russia was close to being defeated especially in December 1941.German troops could see the lights of Moscow.
Had this day been wanting, the world had never seen the last stage of perfection to which human nature is capable of attaining.

Gundamor View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gundamor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2006 at 20:37
There's no way hitler would of conquered the world. He had a tough time crossing the channel imagine trying to invade North America. Also had he defeated the British isles, which probably would of taken decades, the British empire would have reorganized in Canada along with every other conquered european government. The Nazi ideal's would have prevented them from ever being a long lasting regime.

Edited by Gundamor - 30-Jun-2006 at 21:36
"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind"
Dampier View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Dampier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2006 at 18:53
But of course the problem is he couldnt have "finished" Britain. He failed in the Blitz, the Battle of Britain and he had no way to cross the chanel. Short of invasion he was screwed.
thedude View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote thedude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2006 at 23:14
Its hard to say what would have happened. Personally, if Germany didn't spread its armies on three fronts ( East, West and South) I think Germany could have beaten the URSS. Hitler screwed up and it cost him the War. He had an alliance with Stalin, he could have finished Britain the completly focus on them. Keep in mind, the USA would have had to stay neutral. Regardless, if Hitler would have won, I think Hitler would have conquered the world.
There is too many "IF's" and "BUT's" to come up with a fully complete answer.
Dampier View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Dampier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2006 at 11:50
Mr Marshal- this is the Historical Amusement forum. In other words the "IF" place.....
Marshal_Vauban View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Marshal_Vauban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2006 at 19:03
nah...

Every event's in history just HAPPEN.
"The art of fortifying
does not consist in applying rules or following a procedure,
but in good sense and experience."
Marchal Sbastien le Prestre de Vauban
Red4tribe View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Red4tribe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2006 at 18:57
Just about everything in life is an if.

Janissary
Janissary

Quote Marshal_Vauban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2006 at 18:38
"IF" man "IF".
It is story for SF.

Edited by Marshal_Vauban - 22-Jun-2006 at 18:38
"The art of fortifying
Red4tribe View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Red4tribe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2006 at 18:32
If the ussr had been taken over by Hitler the war for the most part would have been lost even if America had come in.America would have been defending Alaska from attack from Japan and Germany.Germany would have been able to use all the extra troops they had they had from the Eastern front and send them to Africa and with the help of Italy I presume that America and Britian would have been driven out even with the Royal Navy which was stronger then Germany's or Italy's.

Janissary
Janissary

Quote Marshal_Vauban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2006 at 18:28
It's just wery interesting to think about that. But in history you can not us "IF".
"The art of fortifying
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Marshal_Vauban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2006 at 18:27
It's just wery interesting to think about that. But in history you can not us "IF".
"The art of fortifying
Dampier View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Dampier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jun-2006 at 11:38
Originally posted by gcle2003

Generally I agree with you (I've only read the last few posts) but I don't think you know the Luxembourg/Belgian Ardennes very well. I don't think leaving them unguarded was 'foolish' although it did turn out to be mistaken.

Even in late 1944 the Americans were taken totally by surprise by the German success in pushing an armoured attack through the Ardennes, and if you go over the ground you can't possibly be surprised they were surprised (although you can see how easy it was to hide preparations from aerial reconnaissance).

It's bad enough driving a car through them on today's roads.

Well I suppose I'm talking through hindsight but having looked at various generals my belief is that you should always be extra wary about "impossible" areas.
I have been to the Ardennes by the way and you're right, the roads are a pain. Must have been awful in those tanks...

Originally posted by Laelius

Consider one important fact, the US was fighting a war on two fronts
Britain was fighting on three; N. Africa, Far East, W. Europe.

Edited by Dampier - 21-Jun-2006 at 11:39
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jun-2006 at 08:14

Consider one important fact, the US was fighting a war on two fronts
The British were fighting on several fronts too.

and for the most part had yet to engage the Germans on land en masse.  If you allow the US the same advantage of the USSR and allow a war on a single front the it would become apparent that the US would have a number of advantages of its own.  First the US fleet of WW2 was arguably the most powerful in history, only Nelson's fleet bears exception, with this unparalleled naval power the German positions in Italy, Greece and Scandinavia would become unteneble. 
There is no possible argument for saying that the US fleet in WW2 was the most powerful since Nelson. It was smaller than the Royal Navy, and remained so until well after the war was over.

The Allied air forces would still sweep the Luftwaffe out of the sky,  Allied bombers would still be able to savage German railways and refineries whilst the Werhmacht would be forced to fight the allies on a number of different fronts from Scandinavia to the Greek peninsula.  Ultimately if the bomb doesn't get the Germans the Allies win against a castrated Germany in a Cold War like solution.

It's true that the only question that matters in WW2 is who gets the atom bomb first.

The rest is details.

Edited by gcle2003 - 21-Jun-2006 at 08:15
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jun-2006 at 08:02
Originally posted by Dampier

Good points about Kasserine but there is a huge difference in that the Blitzkrieg into France was much newer then, took advantage of an area (the Ardennes) that was foolishly unguarded .

Generally I agree with you (I've only read the last few posts) but I don't think you know the Luxembourg/Belgian Ardennes very well. I don't think leaving them unguarded was 'foolish' although it did turn out to be mistaken.

Even in late 1944 the Americans were taken totally by surprise by the German success in pushing an armoured attack through the Ardennes, and if you go over the ground you can't possibly be surprised they were surprised (although you can see how easy it was to hide preparations from aerial reconnaissance).

It's bad enough driving a car through them on today's roads.
Dampier View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Dampier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2006 at 07:35
Good points all, actually the most annoying British role to be ignored for me was always in the Far East where very little is said either about the battles in Burma or the Aussies in Papa New Guinea. I should also say that I get upset over people ignoring the Commonwealth- look at the Springbok campaigns in Africa, Malta which you so rightly mentioned, The Aussies in Papa New Guinea, the Indians in Burma etc. Not to mention that every commonwealth nation fought in just about every theatre of war.

Good points about Kasserine but there is a huge difference in that the Blitzkrieg into France was much newer then, took advantage of an area (the Ardennes) that was foolishly unguarded and was a much more "open" campaign. Still, it's true that every defeat teaches a lesson.
Laelius View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Laelius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2006 at 19:38
I can understand your sentiment, certainly the British are frequently given a back seat in the pantheon of this world's greatest war and I agree that their contribution is unfairly ignored.  For instance how often does anyone mention the terrific losses the RAF inflicted in the air battles in the mediterranean, over Malta specifically?  I've seen estimates that 40% of the Luftwaffe had been destroyed over this tiny island and fighting in the rest of the Med, what would be the consequence of the fighters and bombers deployed to the Med to counter the RAF were sent to the Eastern front?

As for the BEF, well when there are High Command struggles, an awfully led French Army, very few men and bungled mistakes (liek the whole Ardennes thing). There were victories though (Dunkirk- yes Hitler could have destroyed the BEF but he didnt and the fighting on the way back was excellent). While the American loss was total with few saving graces.

The BEF was saved only by Goering's intervention, even still they were chased out of Europe.  Personally I'd argue that the American defeat at kasserine was all but identical to the British defeat in France.  In this case the American forces were not only horribly under prepared but also under a completely incompetent commander in Fredenhall, Patton didn't turn II corps into a competent fighting force overnight because he was a superman, rather the troops simply responded better to a man capable of commanding them.  Even before Patton took command the American troops seemed to perform well in the later stages of the German's Kasserine assault when they held their positions at Thala, sibba and Djela El Hamra.
Dampier View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Dampier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2006 at 17:00

That must explain why it was the US asking British troops to help theirs with "extra  training"! Or why the first US major combat was such a  disaster that Rommel dismissed the Americans!

The US asked for help with forming its Ranger batallions and for the rest the US wanted to capitalize on the British buffoonery at Dieppe.  Of course the American effort in North Africa was pathetic compared to the masterful conduct of the BEF in France...

You might be quick to throw stones but the efforts of the British army and Airforce weren't always stellar...

Sorry if I gave that impression- it just seemed very unfair to label the British as inferior forces. As you mentioned the Brits helped train the Rangers- there was a reason, because Britain in general had better or more extensive special units and forces (Commandos, LRDG, SAS, SBS, SOE etc) and more experience than their American allies. Nor did the poster seemed to have actually studied British tactics- the Commando tactic for example was highly successful (as you mentioned Dieppe was tactically a disaster but strategically a victory because it taught the Allies great lessons that were used on D-Day, however there were plenty of successful Commando missions). Another was SOE and its dealings with partisans and resistance people. Then we look at innovations like rocket firing planes (the Typhoon), Hobarts funnies etc in retaliation to the Blitzkrieg.  Or the SAS/LRDG raiding tactics etc.

As for the BEF, well when there are High Command struggles, an awfully led French Army, very few men and bungled mistakes (liek the whole Ardennes thing). There were victories though (Dunkirk- yes Hitler could have destroyed the BEF but he didnt and the fighting on the way back was excellent). While the American loss was total with few saving graces.

The American forces were obviously good all I object to was random putting down of the British Army in particular without any referances or evidence to prove a point.
Giannis View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Giannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jun-2006 at 18:09
I heard a story, that Hitler didn't want to completely annihilate USSR, he knew that this was practically impossible. His objective was to make peace with western democracies and keep the east-front always open.

The reason for that was to keep his army always fighting the weaker, after the loss of Caspian oil and Moscow, Red army.

His society was based on military behaviour and war idols. It makes some sense.

How long could the 3rd Reich stand in peace time?
Give me a place to stand and I will move the world.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>