Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ottoman Cyprus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ottoman Cyprus
    Posted: 08-Dec-2005 at 15:27

Ok, let us see what you got here:

"... The Greeks over whom throughout this land the Latins have dominion, have
thirteen Bishops, of whom one is an Archbishop..."

Why would I care about 1211 AD? Let me again bring you back closer to our era. Just before the Ottomans took Cyprus, here is what the thirteen Bishops looked like:

"After the establishment of Kingdom of Cyprus the catholic kings gradually reduced the number of orthodox bishops from 14 to 4 and forced those away from their towns. The archbishop was moved from Nicosia to the region of Solia, near Morfou, the bishop of Larnaca was moved to the village of Lefkara etc. Each orthodox bishop was under the catholic bishop of the area. The catholic church tried on occasion to force the orthodox bishops to make concessions on the differences in doctrine and practices between the two churches, sometimes with threats and sometimes using violence and torture, as in the case of the 13 monks in Kantara.Source Link

Also:

"After doctrinal controversies split Christianity between East and West, the church survived 400 years of attempts by Roman Catholic rulers to force recognition of the authority of the pope in Rome. After Cyprus's conquest by Ottoman Turks in the sixteenth century, the sees of the Orthodox bishops were reestablished, according to the Ottoman practice of governing through a millet"  http://www.ciaonet.org/atlas/countries/cy_data_loc.html

"...'They were singing in the Greek tongue, so we could not understand them,
because all the people in Cyprus speak Greek..."

Speaking the same language does not mean Orthodox cohessiveness.

"...'The people in Limassol are Greeks and so are all the inhabitants of Cyprus,
and they speak Greek..."

Same goes for here. If they spoke the same language, shared the same culture, it does not mean an Orthodox cohesiveness. In fact:

The conquest of Cyprus by the Ottoman Empire led to the recognition of the Orthodox church as the only legal christian church. The church was considered by the ottomans to be the political leadership of the christian population (Rum millet) and was responsible for collecting taxes. Because of the different policies of the ottoman empire towards muslim and non muslim citizens, certain christians converted to Islam. These are known in Cyprus with the name "Linopampakoi".  Source

Also this strengthening of the Orthodox Cohesiveness is observed over many other Orthodox territories that came under the Ottoman Empire even in Romania and the Balkans:

"The Ottoman system tended not to submerge national languages and identities, and encouraged a sense of identity based on religious community, the millet, perhaps working to strengthen an Orthodox cohesiveness which was lacking in the wars of the pre-Ottoman period"

http://www.du.edu/~sward/kosovo.html

Also:

"The imposition of the Ottoman rule fostered cohesiveness among the island's populous, a cohesiveness that eventually led to the first faint stirrings of a form of nationalism...The Church of Cyprus, a separate branch of the Greek Orthodox " http://www.ndu.edu/library/n3/SSP-85-020.pdf

These facts you deny are well documented. Not by Turkish sources as you expect always but by independent sources including the US congress report of "Crisis on Cyprus 1975: One Year After the Invasion" Hearings. Washington DC, 1975. Page 72 of the report.

Originally posted by Phallanx

Well yes, most books I own are of Hellinic authors, I don't see why they aren't credible or the authors should be titled nationalists.

Well what do you say if most of my sources were Turkish authors? I think it is a common sense and reasonable point for me to bring up that you heavily emphasizes on Hellenic authors.

Second. in order for him to have been a "co-founder of Hellinic nationalism" he must  have continuously lived through every single era of Hellinic history

If the quotation mark was not there, I would have accepted that. However, I would ask you if you seriously read without your glasses. This is your second time quoting me wrong. The quote of "co-founder of Hellenic nationalism" should have been quoted correctly to "co-founder of Greek nationalism" and the explaination I provided following that, explains I'm only interested in modern nationalism of Greece.

One correction, the quotes you presented are NOT from Graham Speake's "Encyclopedia " but if you look in the top right you'll see :
 Reviewed by Paul Stephenson, University of Wisconsin, Madison

Yes, it would have been a correction if I said it was a Graham's quote. All what I said that it was a publication of the University of Pennsylvenia. The book was copied and pasted as the initial source and the whole review of Mr. Stephenson had its own link.

The fact that some may claim his work to be nationalistic means absolutely nothing to me..

Of course it will mean nothing to you especially he is your main source.

But honestly is all this of some relevance to our discussion or do you have some kind of interest in my preference in books ???

Yes, can't say no. However, think of the receiver as yourself. Would you prefer a direct link ot the same information or a random book name that doesn't even have a page number? Sources are mainly for verification purposes. So, make it easy too if you can.

What do I see here, yet another admirer stalking my every post... now I'm really flattered.. 

If you waited a second and thought about what you typed, you would have found too that you are stalking every post I posted. Anyhow, I hope I won't see more of these fillers to our discussions. Focus please.

You dared to claim better knowledge of my own history, yet don't know of the basics..If you don't know of the 'secret schools' during the Ottoman empire then honestly, why are we wasting our time.

Sorry I had to cut this quote from the middle. It is 6 lines talking about nothing and at the end no source. If it is so well known and a basic knowledge, then it is available everywhere online and offline. So, quit your fillers and go find that source.

I'm honestly starting to loose any interested in this 'discussion'.

You mean: I'm honestly starting to lose any interest in this discussion.

Let's say you're right, why would any non-Muslim feel humbled by paying for not serving in the Muslim military or why would they want to fight for those that conquered him to begin with ???.

They need to be humbled and equaled. While Muslims are obligated to pay Zakah and taxes to the government, they have to be equalled. Especially if they are not serving the military (which is encouraged at that time since most wars were carried with religious banners, so it will be unfair to draft them in the army both, for them and the army). Why would they fight with those who conquered them? Simple, money, avoiding the taxation, and fighting those they hate (Orthodox joining the Ottoman armies in the their battles against the Hungarian-Austrian Kingdom). Many reasons and incentives that exist even in any military today.

As far as I know, this is gramatically incorrect and it actually makes no sence. I'm not sayng this to belittle or as any form of an insult, but to simply point out that even you make mistakes while expressing your thoughts in english which obviously isn't your 'mother-tongue'..

Congratulation on your findings. Yes, English is not my first language. Does this discredit my participation? Anyhow, I really have no problem making English mistakes and i ALWAYS do if you went back to my previous posts. No one comment on these mistakes because we are all focusing on the information. Focusing on such issues shows you run out of words probably. By the way, a suggestion for you. Before you look into other's shortcomings, look for that in your own self. Go back to the section where I corrected you in grammer and spelling:

I'm honestly starting to loose any interested in this 'discussion'

If you had made that without your silly comment, I would have not even bothered myself commenting on it. However, I think you like to embarrass yourself.

As I said above, my choice of using "minorities" was probably a wrong expression, but I do specifically use the plural form of the word "minority" which obviously indicates "more than one"...

Ok, I really don't care what you meant by such and such or your intention, as long as we both agree at the end that both of the Greek and Turkish population of the island experienced the heavy taxes laws and both rebelled as early as the island came under the Ottoman domain and not only after 1668. 

http://www.apsa2005.net/FullPapers/PdfFormat/Full%20Paper% 20(O-Z)/Pinar%20Ulucay.pdf..

First source, its link does not work. Go back and copy it again Please. Also, the original webpage is www.aspsa2005.net, an Asian Planning School Association Conference of 2005

N.D. Hurtrel "Du Voiage de Jerusalem " 1670 wrote:..

If I weren't mistaken, it is actually "Du Voyage de Jerusalem". Anyhow, I see the quote, but no the source. Im still interested. 

Ioannis Cotovicus, Prof. in the University of Utrecht in 1598-99 wrote::..

Ok, an Itlaian Catholic theologian visiting Cyprus in 1598, since the island fell to the Ottomans in 1571 and writing about the cruelty of the Ottomans, how objective?

Yeah you're right, it's all about pride...but who's ??? ::..

Ask Mila.

Regarding Kotumeyil post and your refuse to accept that the feudal system was minimized and extracted out of Cyprus, I present to you this:

"The second important result of the Ottoman occupation benefited the Greek peasants who no longer remained serfs of the land they were cultivatingNow they could acquire it against payment, thus becoming owners of it.  At the same time the Orthodox Church was liberated because the Turks were afraid of the presence of the Catholic Church as it might instigate an attack of Western Europe against them.  Gradually the Archbishop of Cyprus became not only religious but ethnic leader as well, something the Turks promoted wanting to have somebody responsible for the loyalty of the Greek flock.  In this way the Church undertook the task of the guardian of the Greek cultural legacy which is partly carried on even in our days, although diminished after independence"

Though I disagree with a lot of comments in the article that I brought my quote from, however, Im suprised that they agreed with the fact that the Orthodox Church was liberated and the Ottomans rule over Cyprus ended the serfdom and started the ownership of lands by local peasants. That article came from the Cyprus government Historical Encyclopedia of Cyprus. Source.

If you are still disagreeing even with the Cyprus government over thier OWN history, then I cannot find anything to classify it except pure arrogance.

Anyhow, our posts are growing larger and larger with less information and more of "fillers" and "rubbish". Try to respond focusing on the issue instead of busying yourself with my English.

D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
OSMANLI View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote OSMANLI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2005 at 15:56

'The Christions were treated badly'

Really, is that why Greek was allowed to be spoken as a official language of Cyprus, is that why a high level of autonomy was given to the Greeks.

The an important part of the economy of Cyprus at the time of the Ottomans was alcohol, which was exported. In the middle of the 18th century products such as Wine and Brandy.  Are we meant to believe that the Ottoman Turks/Muslims were making these? (lets remember the first alcohol drinks production in the whole of the Muslim world was in the Turkish Republic. This company was founded by Mustafa Kemal)

OSMANLI View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote OSMANLI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2005 at 16:36

O yes i nearly forgot. I gave my word to explain the origins of the Turkish Cypriots to Leonides.

Sorry for the late reply.

The Turkish Cypriots were not from Turkoman areas, as you mentioned. They were mainly from the Karaman region of Anatolia. Although many are also noted to be from other regions of Asia minor. All being of Turkish ethnicity, many were forced to live in Cyprus. The initial migrants however were the Mujahids, the soldiers the won the war in Cyprus.

^The above depics my ancestors. In their conquest of Limassol castle. They later settled in a village near Limassol. Known as BiNATLI, or the 'thousend horsemen' in their memory. They later called their families from Anatolia to settle with them. These are my ancestors. The village although mainly Turkish also had Greek Cypriots too. they called the village Polemitya. If iam right in saying'Pole' or 'Bole' means war in Greek, although i would appreciate a translation.

^above Lala Mustafa Pasha, first Ottoman govener of Cyprus

Edited by OSMANLI
Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2005 at 18:55

Why would I care about 1211 AD? Let me again bring you back closer to our era. Just before the Ottomans took Cyprus, here is what the thirteen Bishops looked like:

You continuously make me wonder why I waste my time...
As I told you before and fortunately you continue to prove me right in every single post you make, Copy/Paste does NOT constitute knowledge..

Why care....???
Let's see, besides that your source, is based on an article posted in wikipedia to begin with. But anyway, since I also used it in my first post I'll pass that.

Would you probably care if you actually knew when the so-called 'Kingdom of Cyprus' in your quote was founded???

Do look it up and you'll find the 1190's by King Richard, which makes us wonder exactly how far "After the establishment" did this alleged event take place since Wilbrand wrote the quote presented some 20yrs after its establishment... oh and since you have a hard time with the meaning of "some", it does mean approximately..

Anyway, the 13 monks from Kantara mentioned, weren't just tortured but were burnt alive for not accepting the differences in practice of the religion of the Catholics.. But then again, my sources are biased since they're written by Hellinic authors so forget I mentioned it..

Speaking the same language does not mean Orthodox cohessiveness.

I do recall saying that under a Christian rule, which is exactly what Byzantium and the Latin conquerors were, there is no need for a 'strong' religious cohenssion, its as simple as 1+1 that under the Muslim rule the whole issue is different. But to insist that, quote:

"The cohesiveness of the Orthodox and between Greek and Cyprus (again, notice this for the 3rd time, GREECE & CYPRUS) were brought alive by the Ottoman rule."

This is as proven at least rediculous. If language, customs and the very definition of GREEK Cypriots used in texts dated to the 12th cent. (and earlier) or in all your sources do not indicate a connection/cohenssion between the population of two countries, I honestly don't know what the hell does..

Yes, it would have been a correction if I said it was a Graham's quote. All what I said that it was a publication of the University of Pennsylvenia.The book was copied and pasted as the initial source and the whole review of Mr. Stephenson had its own link.

When you present : "Graham Speake (ed.), Encyclopedia of Greece and the Hellenic Tradition (2 vols.).   London/Chicago:  Fitzroy Dearborn Publishers, 2000.  Pp. 913, 1861.  ISBN 1-57958-141-2"

and then present not one but two quotes, you directly imply that this is your source.. Anyway...

If you waited a second and thought about what you typed, you would have found too that you are stalking every post I posted. Anyhow, I hope I won't see more of these fillers to our discussions. Focus please.

Now you either don't know of the link you presented (which I doubt) or you're simply acting as if you don't.
Presenting my own words from a different topic in a totally irrelevent forum, can be considered stalking, otherwise explain the so convenient coincidence..
No objection to your cross-checking what I've written, everyone does that me included. But speaking of nationalism, glasses and the whole load of crap you've presented about my sources and then giving me that quote from that specific forum is as if you're just asking for it..

So, quit your fillers and go find that source.

Cut the BS, you posted the above link clearly to provoke. Had you wanted to find a link all you had to do was a damn google, look at how simple it is :
"secret school" + ottomans 

http://www.google.com.gr/search?hl=el&q=%22secret+school %22+%2B+ottomans&btnG=%CE%91%CE%BD%CE%B1%CE%B6%CE%AE%CF% 84%CE%B7%CF%83%CE%B7&meta=

"secret school" + greece
http://www.google.com.gr/search?hl=el&q=%22secret+school %22+%2B+greece&meta=

There are some 30.000 results among these two.. its now all up to you, to find out which are relevent and obtain knowledge on the issue..

Especially if they are not serving the military (which is encouraged at that time since most wars were carried with religious banners, so it will be unfair to draft them in the army both, for them and the army). Why would they fight with those who conquered them? Simple, money, avoiding the taxation, and fighting those they hate (Orthodox joining the Ottoman armies in the their battles against the Hungarian-Austrian Kingdom). Many reasons and incentives that exist even in any military today.

While I can accept that some may accept to fight for the Muslims in order to avoid the taxation, receive a better treatment...etc.

I fail to see WHY on earth would a conqueror, any conqueror of any faith, be more lenient and treat the conquered better than his own people...

You are actually claiming, that Islam, is treating the same non-believers that the 'faithful are instructed to fight, far better than its believers..

Sorry but it sounds so REDICULOUS !!!!

You want me to believe, that the non-Muslims would pay the exact same amount of 'tax' (which the ZaKah IS NOT), by enforced to go and fight while the infidels are safe at home..

then what is the humbled part (or brought low I've seen in other translations).. or what about the very fact that the text mentions "out of hand"

does this not imply that no matter if they ever reach a higher social status as you've suggested, they still aren't considered equals but sub-, always a 'raya', always a 'giaur' the subdued infidel.. and nothing more, so please save me from your preaching cause it's not really working, but is having an opposite effect..

By the way, a suggestion for you. Before you look into other's shortcomings, look for that in your own self. Go back to the section where I corrected you in grammer and spelling:

I'm honestly starting to loose any interested in this 'discussion'

If you had made that without your silly comment, I would have not even bothered myself commenting on it. However, I think you like to embarrass yourself.

You can't be so simple, I do mean please.
I clearly brought it as an example to explain my previous wrong use of the word "minority", so why are you over-reacting??

Feel embarrassed ???

what on earth for, for making a mistake while writing in a forum...????
You obviously have a huge issue to work out, I've seen that inferiority complex far too many times. It's really unheathly so do look into it..
embarrassed...

Try to respond focusing on the issue instead of busying yourself with my English.

As you see, there is no need to ask Mila about anything. Your inferiority complex has made you mention the simple example I gave what is it ? 3-4 times in one post..
I couldn't care less about your english, where you're from, what religion you believe in, but all those seem to be issues of great imporatance to you.. Feel insulted all you like, continue mentioning the same thing over and over again, I honestly couldn't care less...

Regarding Kotumeyil post and your refuse to accept that the feudal system was minimized and extracted out of Cyprus, I present to you this:

Where do you see me refusing anything ????
You have yet another issue to deal with and that is obviously the comprehension of an example..

While you conveniently quote the part you prefer and suits you, you actually neglect to read all the rest that supports what I've been saying. Or now that the site has served its cause, it should be titled biased because it's Cypriot and not worth quoting or maybe the author is also influenced by the work of Paparrigopoulos, so God forbid we accept anything that may be or actually proves him as an accurate source..

Anyway, since you did mention Kotumeyil post. I found this site that actually supports what I said about the feudal system never actually being abolished, but simply changed hands" see: http://www.aihgs.com/Turkeyre.htm

"Units of villages and farmlands were assigned as timars (fiefs) to cavalrymen according to the expected productivity and tax revenue. The local sipahi (horsemen) then lived on the revenues of his fief, kept order, carried out the sultan's regulations, and gave military service on campaigns. This system was particularly strong in the Balkans; later conquests in the Arab areas were put under administrators who were tax-farmers rather than cavalrymen."
---------------

So where did this take place, was it in the Balkans where all the infidels lived or was this form of generocity applied in the Arab areas ???

Oh, almost forgot, for your convenience...

fief = "Under the system of feudalism, a fiefdom, fief, feud or fee, consisted of heritable lands or revenue-producing property granted by a liege lord in return for a vassal knight's service usually fealty, military service, or security.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiefs"

What were the infidels used for, even though you've chosen to reject it :

"All of the foregoing groups-men of the pen, men of religion, men of the sword-constituted, with their families, the upper level of Ottoman society, the so-called askeriye(military) class. They served faith and state, in the Ottoman formula. They paid no taxes. The bulk of the reaya (population) were peasants, nomadic herdsmen, artisans, merchants. They were the food growers, goods producers, and taxpayers. "
------------------------

A little something on how well they were treated...

J.A.R. Marriott, The Eastern Question: An Historical Study of European Diplomacy. Oxford University: The Clarendon Press, 1919. Pp. 66-94]
CHAPTER IV
THE OTTOMAN EMPIRE: ITS ZENITH, 1453-1566
SULEIMAN THE MAGNIFICENT

"The attitude of the Ottomans towards the Greek Christians was inspired by a mixture of motives. It was due partly to an innate tendency towards toleration, and still more perhaps to invincible indolence. In view of the hideous massacres perpetrated by Abdul Hamid it is not easy to insist that religious toleration is one of the cardinal virtues of the Turk. Yet the fact is incontestable.

Although the Ottoman State was essentially theocratic in theory and in structure, although the sole basis of political classification was ecclesiastical, the Turk was one of the least intolerant of rulers. He was also one of the most indolent. So long as his material necessities were supplied by his subjects the precise methods of local government and administration were matters of indifference to him. This had its good and its bad side. It often left the conquered peoples at the mercy of petty tyrants, but where the local circumstances were unfavourable to tyrannies it left the people very much to themselves. "
--------

They need to be humbled and equaled. While Muslims are obligated to pay Zakah and taxes to the government, they have to be equalled.

What the hell have I just read ???

They need to be humbled...
First lets clear that humbled = broken: subdued or brought low in condition or status; "brought low"; "a broken man"; "his broken spirit"
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

So how can anyone support that they were well treated when YOU call this a NEED !!!

Your claim actually supports all I've been saying in total refute to your petty attempts of proving otherwise. That is the exact mentality of the Ottoman empire, THEY NEED to be HUMILIATED, THEY NEED TO BE HUMBLED, THEY NEED to be BROUGHT LOW..

After this I honestly have NO intention of continuing, you've just proven my point and make any further discussion worthless..besides, your rediculous comments will lead this into a flame...

Humbled...

To the gods we mortals are all ignorant.Those old traditions from our ancestors, the ones we've had as long as time itself, no argument will ever overthrow, in spite of subtleties sharp minds invent.
Hamoudeh View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Hamoudeh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2005 at 22:15

I would like to add that on the issue of Jizya and Zakat, the Jizya is less and can be avoided while the Zakat cannot be. Also Jizya was often used for the community in question itself, in addition it ought to be perceived as any tax of which in return the protection and services of the state are offered.  

If one wonders how it is possible for the conquerer to treat the conquered "better", one has to make sure this "better" is not limited to solely one perspective which in this case it is. In the Islamic state, there were many freedoms for non-Muslims that Muslims did not have, and there were many obligations for Muslims that non-Muslims did not have.

I'll give a few examples:

A Muslim was obligated to pray 5 times a day, yes punishment followed when this whas neglected. A non-Muslim had no obligation in this. A Muslim was obligated to fast during Ramadan, a non-Muslim was not. A Muslim was forbidden drinking alcohol, a non-Muslim was not. A Muslim was forbidden eating porc, a non-Muslim was not. A Muslim was forbidden to have icons, crosses and engage in religious matters that Islam forbids, a non-Muslim was not. There are numerous other examples to mention which are obligated or forbidden for Muslims, and not for non-Muslims.

One could say the non-Muslim is treated better from a non-Muslim perspective, but from a Muslim perspective it is the Muslim that is treated better. People of true faith insist on religious law to be implemented, even if it is in their worldly disatvantage. This is how many Muslims would look at it, and have looked at it when they practiced their religion. Non-Muslims might not perceive it as being humbled on these matters, many haven't due to the experiences they had with others of their own faith in the past; in Syria, in Egypt but also in the Balkans and throught the different eras including that of the Ottomans.

Edited by Hamoudeh
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2005 at 10:14

After this I honestly have NO intention of continuing, you've just proven my point and make any further discussion worthless.

Uha, sure. You said that "you loosed any interested in this discussion" however I see that you are struggling to avoid this thread . I won't be surprised if you came back posting, but at the same time, not surprised too if you didn't.

Anyhow, I will keep things shorter than your full page post since I believe no forumers is interested to read all that non-sense.

This is as proven at least rediculous. If language, customs and the very definition of GREEK Cypriots used in texts dated to the 12th cent. (and earlier) or in all your sources do not indicate a connection/cohenssion between the population of two countries, I honestly don't know what the hell does...

Go back to the post and look again for the sources. Your counter-argument so far does not disprove those reports rather than talk about Greek culture and language and left for the reader to imagine and assume. I want to see a credible source that clearly refute the statement that Orthodox Cohessiveness was streghthened by the Ottomans rule.

and then present not one but two quotes, you directly imply that this is your source.. Anyway......

Yes, move on. Assuming is not any form of intellegence.

Cut the BS, you posted the above link clearly to provoke. Had you wanted to find a link all you had to do was a damn google......

Not my job to find for you sources. Plus, since you are talking about "B.S" you could have saved all my comments on you if you had done it earlier. Now, since I got you to bring these sources all the way to here, guess what? I will refute them

1- Wikipedia clearly shows that the "Secret Schools" came from a painting, probably "Gyzis".

An oil paintaing portraying a secret school ("krifo sxolio" in Greek), where the Hellenic-Orthodox spirit was kept alive. 

an oil paintaing portraying a secret school ("krifo sxolio" in Greek), where the Hellenic-Orthodox spirit was kept alive.

2- Athens News Newspaper itself (published daily in Greece) has published this in their article: http://www.athensnews.gr/paideia/1pai10.htm

"Otherwise there were only village schools. It is an enduring myth that these had to be held in secret, a myth perpetuated by Nikolaos Gyzis in his late nineteenth century painting The Secret School. But there was no need for such secrecy."

A Greek newspaper publishes an article that calls the "secret schools" a MYTH!! So, I guess it is not a very well known accepted "FACT" as you claim it to be. Thank you for the links, that is how I found those in the first 3 links already

You want me to believe, that the non-Muslims would pay the exact same amount of 'tax' (which the ZaKah IS NOT), by enforced to go and fight while the infidels are safe at home.. ......

Trust me, I'm not so concerned if you can be convinced or not. If you are not, just go find a source that disprove it.

Hamdoudeh also offeres an insightful post.

You can't be so simple, I do mean please.
I clearly brought it as an example to explain my previous wrong use of the word "minority", so why are you over-reacting??......

Taking about being simple, you will learn to point out your points without having to spend 5 lines instructing me on English, which no other serieous forumers really cared about. You could have just simply said your point straight.

I've seen that inferiority complex far too many times. It's really unheathly so do look into it..
embarrassed.....

Most natural people, when they bring a comment but at the same time they has fallen into (much worse) the same mistake in their post just three lines above that comment, it does make them feel "unintellegent".

As you see, there is no need to ask Mila about anything. Your inferiority complex has made you mention the simple example I gave what is it ? 3-4 times in one post.. ..

Inferiority complex? So what are you now? A Psychologist too? I did request you cut your fillers but it seems the tendency of nuisance in an argument is just built inside you.

While you conveniently quote the part you prefer and suits you, you actually neglect to read all the rest that supports what I've been saying. ..

I think you are intellegent enough to get it. It is simply similar to as "even the accuser has admitted it". So, despite all the propoganda of the government of Cyprus (Duh! obviously a government, what do you expect), they have admitted it!

Your arrogance (I have to use it this time since I promised I have no classification of your refusal) makes you go beyond not only opposing what the Cyprus Greek Government is saying in the link I gave you, but deciding that this link  http://www.aihgs.com/Turkeyre.htm, the Australian Institute of Holocaust and Genocide Studies can prove otherwise. The Cyprus government itself did not only remain silent about that fact, but packed it up!!

By the way, what happened to this broken link you presented of the Asian Planning School Association Conference of 2005

http://www.apsa2005.net/FullPapers/PdfFormat/Full%20Paper% 20(O-Z)/Pinar%20Ulucay.pdf.. << I asked you to re-check that broken link!

Finally I must admit your improvement in using sources. You have jumped from 1 source in every 4 posts to 7 sources per post

The rest of your post is more sources of "intolerance" treatment of the Ottomans. That we can spend all ourlives stating evidance of both sides. I leave the forumers to judge.

Edited by ok ge
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2005 at 13:25

see that you are struggling to avoid this thread .

Struggling

To educate you on issues you obviously know nothing about hell yes, but to avoid.. Hell just for this, crappy comment I'll continue.. (obviously the reason you posted it)

Go back to the post and look again for the sources. Your counter-argument so far does not disprove those reports rather than talk about Greek culture and language and left for the reader to imagine and assume. I want to see a credible source that clearly refute the statement that Orthodox Cohessiveness was streghthened by the Ottomans rule.

I'll explain this for the very last time.
Every source you've provided mentions that only after the Ottoman rule did they form a sence of strong Orthodox cohessiveness.
"A strong sence" does not mean that it previously never existed nor did I ever attempt to refute this issue.
MY objection is to your stupid remark quoted above (that you conveniently AVOID to address)

""The cohesiveness of the Orthodox and between Greek and Cyprus (again, notice this for the 3rd time, GREECE & CYPRUS) were brought alive by the Ottoman rule."

This is nothing remotely related to what any of your presented sources support. You DIRECTLY have suggested that Hellinic and Cypriot cohenssion (NOT ONLY ORTHODOX) was non-existant prior to the arrival of the Ottomans..

So either PROVE it, since you like playing with sources that there was NO previous cohenssion between Hellas and Cyprus or give me a break.. and accept what you wrote was wrong... You're just arguing for the sake of argument, continuously going in circles...

Wikipedia clearly shows that the "Secret Schools" came from a painting, probably "Gyzis".

Had you read the wikipedia article you allgedly quoted, you would have seen that it mentions NOTHING about Gyzis. But instead under the pic it says :

"An oil paintaing portraying a secret school ("krifo sxolio" in Greek), where the Hellenic-Orthodox spirit was kept alive."

You obviously mixed wiki. with the other link..
So when you do quote, do it correctly..

Athens News Newspaper itself (published daily in Greece) has published this in their article:

Interestingly enough, none of the Lamprakis group media sources in Hellinic lang. never published anything remotely similar even though it does have a mainly pro-Turkish approach in the issues 'friendship', EU...etc 
Anyway, I find Brewer and all the rest of the so-called historians of our time, revisionists and some what non-trustworthy.

So sorry but I'll prefer, Steven Runciman, The Great Church in Captivity, Cambridge University Press, 1968, p. 218

" Even though the 'High Gate' never meddled with the Patriarch's Academy in Konstantinoupoli, the provincial commanders could be as oppressive as they chose. Many of them considered the education of the minority as the most unwanted thing"

-----------------

From : Steven Runciman, The Great Church in Captivity, Cambridge University Press, 1968, p. 224

" It is impossible that the Turks would ever allow the Church to obtain enough money in order to construct many schools. And, even if they could raise the ammount needed, it is equally impossible to believe that the provincial Turkish command would allow Hellinic schools preform large scaled education.. While there was never an official order, the existing schools were confiscated and the children sent home, so any further attempts were meaningless..

(the above quotes may not be the exact words used since I've translated it from my own copy which is written in Hellinic)

--------------

George Horton, "The Blight of Asia" (can be read online) quoted Sir Edward Pirs saying :

"Under the rule of its new masters Constantinople was destined to become the most degraded capital in Europe, and became incapable of contributing anything whatever of value to the history of the human race. No art, no literature, no handicraft even, nothing that the world would gladly keep, has come since 1453 from the Queen City. Its capture, so far as human eyes can see, has been for the world a misfortune almost without any compensatory advantage."

Rene Paux in his book "Poor N. Epirus' (probably a mistranslated title) mentions visiting Argyrokastro in 1913, just one year after it's independance. He has recorded that the children told him of going to school in utmost secrecy. If this took place in the later stages of the empire, one cna only but imagine what was going on in the 16th, 17th cent..

Or what about General J. Makrygiannis (see war of Independence in 1821' ) that in his memoirs makes an extent reference to the priests and the 'secret schools' ..

Further proof are the many toponyms in various areas of Hellas like in Ioannina, Mani, Io, Korinth, Crete, Boeotia...etc where we find villages named, (yup you guessed it) "KRYFO SXOLEIO" or the well known little island of 'DASKALEION' just across the shore of Tolo in Peloponessos (outside Nauplio) other areas, have remote caves named so..
note that DASKALEION mean 'place of teaching'.. and local legend has it that the children were either 'smuggled' in small fishing boats or even swam across to be taught..

Here in Volos, we have two areas that were reknowned as 'secret schools' one is the Church of Agios Nikolaos used in the later stages of the empire (right in the center of the city and the other a cave converted into a Church just outside the town (Panagia Trypa) 'Virgin hole'..

without having to spend 5 lines instructing me on English

Stop being so damn hard-headed and read what I said.. it was an example, so stop nagging about what everyone else clearly understood. The embarrassment you mentioned before, is actually looking staight at you as we speak..

Your arrogance (I have to use it this time since I promised I have no classification of your refusal) makes you go beyond not only opposing what the Cyprus Greek Government is saying in the link I gave you, but deciding that this link  http://www.aihgs.com/Turkeyre.htm, the Australian Institute of Holocaust and Genocide Studies can prove otherwise. The Cyprus government itself did not only remain silent about that fact, but packed it up!! 

Oh, great one forgive me,

Since when do politicians wright history and how exactly does the Cyprus gov. site refute what is once again common knowledge to everyone but you ???

The EXACT quote I presented was.. :

""Units of villages and farmlands were assigned as timars (fiefs) to cavalrymen according to the expected productivity and tax revenue. The local sipahi (horsemen) then lived on the revenues of his fief, kept order, carried out the sultan's regulations, and gave military service on campaigns. This system was particularly strong in the Balkans; later conquests in the Arab areas were put under administrators who were tax-farmers rather than cavalrymen.""

so what do we get with a simple damn google ???

"Administrative structure strengthened and centralized through elaboration of tahrir-defter (cadastral survey-record books) system based on military fiefs (timars). "
www.turizm.net/turkey/history/ottoman1.html

"The conquered land was parcelled out to the Sultan's followers, who held it as feudal fiefs (timars and ziamets) directly from him. The land could not be sold or inherited, but reverted to the Sultan when the fiefholder died."
www.answers.com/topic/ottoman-greece

"In the Ottoman army, light cavalry long formed the core and they were given fiefs called timars. "
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ottoman_Empire

"They were given fiefs called timars in the conquered lands, and were later......... "
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_of_the_Ottoman_Empire

"A timariot (or timar holder; timarlu in Turkish was an irregular Irregular military that served the Ottoman Sultan and in return was granted a fief called a timar. The timariots had to assemble with the army when at war, and had to take care of the land entrusted to him in times of peace. When at war, the timariot had to bring his own equipment and in addition a number of armed retainers (cebelu). Food was supplied during campaign. "
http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/timariots

This could continue forever... all you had to do was write " timars fiefs ottoman" in a simple search engine.. you know how it works

http://www.google.com.gr/search?q=+timars+fiefs+ottoman& hl=el&lr=&start=10&sa=N

By the way, what happened to this broken link you presented of the Asian Planning School Association Conference of 2005

All you had to do was copy/paste the first line in a google and BINGO.. but anyway..
www.apsa2005.net/FullPapers/PdfFormat/ Full%20Paper%20(O-Z)/Pinar%20Ulucay.pdf

If it still doesn't work do a google and use :

"According to Gunnis (1973) the earliest reliable reference to Nicosia "

You see it, its the very first result..

I leave the forumers to judge.

What forumers, you are the only one in here, trying to present the Ottoman RULE as some kind of paradise for its SUBJECTS

Wake up calling. You're ALONE on this..

Edited by Phallanx
To the gods we mortals are all ignorant.Those old traditions from our ancestors, the ones we've had as long as time itself, no argument will ever overthrow, in spite of subtleties sharp minds invent.
OSMANLI View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote OSMANLI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2005 at 14:22

What forumers, you are the only one in here, trying to present the Ottoman RULE as some kind of paradise for its SUBJECTS

I think the jokes on you, many people have been saying that the Ottoman period is a good period.

After this I honestly have NO intention of continuing, you've just proven my point and make any further discussion worthless..besides, your rediculous comments will lead this into a flame...

Your still here??? You said that you HONESTLY had no intention of replying on this topic Is this some sort of a hint that your honesty is something to be questioned?

ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2005 at 15:25

Yup, as I said. Not surprised you came back. Obviously you are struggling with yourself to abide by your own words

Anyhow, as I said. Forumers are always here and we have presented our cases. Insulting, provoking, using "hell", "b.s", "damn google", and "crappy comments", "your stupid remark quoted above " won't help prove your case.

While you are struggling with various resources and tons of Hellenic propoganda sites, I'm proud to say that no single Tukrish, or Northern Cyprus link I've needed to use and all my sources are independent third parties.  In fact, I refuted your statements with a Greek Newspaper and the Cyprus government Website. For some reason, not all greeks agree on your version of the Hellenic history.

I urge you to modify your method of discussion and learn that it is not about winning a discussion and it is no more than presenting evidance and proofs. You won't change my mind, neither I will change your mind.

However, you can continue your extra energy contacting the Cyprus government and tell them they are wrong and correct the severe historical mistake they got of their own history. I myself cannot figure out with all this tention with Turky and the Republic of Northern Cypurs, how did they commit such a mistake that credit the Ottomans 

But hey! you have more than 6 links in your posts  Bravo!

D.J. Kaufman
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2005 at 15:45

As some of us have seen around here, the level of informative debating has often been overtaken by other forms of banter on this thread. With all due respect, I would like to keep this thread open, if there are no objections. Otherwise, the next unruly insult will get this thread closed.

Thanks!

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2005 at 21:47

omg this is too much to read now

so far i got complains about some forumers attitude in this thread,

so to all forumers please stop provoking each other and calling others posts as stupid or crappy, if you wish to discuss do it in respecting manner otherwise dont post.

kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2005 at 03:34

George Horton, "The Blight of Asia" (can be read online) quoted Sir Edward Pirs saying :

"Under the rule of its new masters Constantinople was destined to become the most degraded capital in Europe, and became incapable of contributing anything whatever of value to the history of the human race. No art, no literature, no handicraft even, nothing that the world would gladly keep, has come since 1453 from the Queen City. Its capture, so far as human eyes can see, has been for the world a misfortune almost without any compensatory advantage."

I'm translating one of the books of Sir Edwin Pears in Turkish, "Life of Abdulhamid" in which he claims that Britain had no interest in taking Cyprus from Ottoman Empire; they only wanted to save Greeks!He's a Brit and a damn orientalist, what do you expect?

By the way, the subject of "whether the Ottoman social system was based on feudalism or on Asian mode of production" is one of the most debated issues at the academic platforms on Ottoman history. A google search gives following links:

http://www.google.com.tr/search?hl=tr&q=ottoman+feudalis m+asian+mode+of+production&meta=

[IMG]http://www.maksimum.com/yemeicme/images/haber/raki.jpg">
OSMANLI View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote OSMANLI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2005 at 05:36

I was asked by a member of AE as to why the Turkish Cypriots dialect is diffrent from that of the Anavatan (Mother land, Turkey) Turks.

The reason for this is mainly due to isolation from Istanbul and the mainland(Istanbul Turkish dialect being the standerd for the Turkish language from Ottoman times). Even areas in Turkey have diffrent dialects and accents, an example of this is the Karadeniz (Black sea) dialect.

Another reason is that the Turkish Cypriots came to Cyprus during the Ottoman Empire. However during the language reforms by Mustafa Kemal Cyprus was a British colony. Thus the Turkish Cypriots initialy did not feel the impact of these reforms, meaning that the dialect has many similarities to the Turkish spoken in the time of the Ottomans.

At present the Turkish Cypriot dialect is used in informal occasions. Thus the Turkish Cypriot dialect is coming to an end, as in the schools the standerd Turkish is tought.

Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2005 at 07:42
Thankyou Osmanli, you have answered my questions, if i find anything new ill post it.
OSMANLI View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote OSMANLI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2005 at 08:31

Your Welcome Leonidas!!!

I must say i am enjoying this respect shown by both parties.

Maybe we may even be pioneers for a new era of respect in AE!!!

------

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123