Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What are you reading?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 46>
Author
Evildoer View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Evildoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What are you reading?
    Posted: 08-Oct-2004 at 13:18
Road to Wigan Pier by George Orwell.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2004 at 16:16
Currently I'm reading 'De kleine vrede in de Grote Oorlog' (The little peace in the Great War) from Michael Jrgs. It's a Dutch translation of a German book. It's about the spontaneous truces on the Western Front during Chrismas 1914. Really a moving story.
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2004 at 17:25

Right now im reading the book of Andrzej Sapkowski "Bozy wojownicy" (can translate it into english as "Gods wariors" or "Divine Wariors"). It is a second book of story after "Narenturm".

Authour is quite famous in Poland as a fantasy wirtter but his books Narrenturm and God's Wariors are very different than his other books.

At the first look the book seems to be a historic novel. Action takes place in the 15th century during hussite wars. The historic backrground is really good and i didnt find any mistakes so far. But well, its hard to say that it is historic book because it has its second bottom. Medieval ages were famous for burning witches and wizzards and in these books they really exists. So in the completelly historical world we find a group of people who are usually the professors or students of medieval european universities but are in the same time they are secretelly practicing magic and alchemy and often they can be found behind the real historical events and battles. Right now iv read 1/5 of the book and find it really interesting. The Pope called crusade against Czech heretics under the command of Henri de Beaufort which invaded Bohemia and was cut on pieces by the hussite army.  Really interesting story.

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2004 at 20:14
I just finished my Saladin biography and now are reading A Consise History of Russia and the Memoirs of Babur the Tiger both at once!
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2004 at 13:33

Right now i am reading 3 books:

-Henry Kissenger,Diplomacy

-Oral Sander,Political History from Middle Ages to 1918

-Tayyar Ari,International Relations and Foreign Policy

Edited by TheDiplomat
ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

Abyssmal Fiend View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Abyssmal Fiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2004 at 15:48

Two, right now.

Warriors of God: A book about Saladin and Richard the Lionhearted during the Crusades.

The Assassination of Heydrich: Assassination attempt on Reinhardt Heydrich during WWII.

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
Master of Puppets View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Master of Puppets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2004 at 09:50

Just read:

Dutch:
Harry Mulisch, De Procedure (interesting and quite good, but not as brilliant as some of his other works)
Willem Frederik Hermans, Nooit Meer Slapen (a masterpiece of black existentialism)

Now reading:

In Dutch:
Vergilius, Aeneis (no explanation needed)
Harry Mulisch, Het Stenen Bruidsbed (brilliant, quite difficult)

In French:
Camus, L'tranger (quite good so far)

In German:
Rdiger Safranski, Nietzsche, Biographie Seines Denken (very interesting)

In Greek (with the aid of a translation into German):
Aischulos, Oresteia (not far enough to cast a judgement so far)

Wherever I turn, there is Death.
The Epic of Gilgamesh; Tablet XI, line 245
vagabond View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote vagabond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2004 at 12:14

Am still working on Eberhard Bethge's biography of Dietrich Bonhoeffer and Bonhoeffer's "Ethics".  Slow going.

For light reading - have just finished "The Secret Life of Bees" - kind of a feel good story about the tribulations of a teen aged girl in the American south during the Civil Rights campaigns.  Good but predictable.

More interesting was "Life of Pi" - about the teenaged son of an Indian zookeeper who leaves the subcontinent with his family and all the animals to start a new life in Canada.  Their ship sinks and the boy ends up in a lifeboat with a wounded zebra, an orangutan, a hyena and a tiger.  I'm not convinced that it lives up to the jacket's promise of "the soul sustaining power of fiction" but it's a very good read.

In the time of your life, live - so that in that wonderous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it. (Saroyan)
Jagatai Khan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Jeune Turc

Quote Jagatai Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2004 at 10:47

I could not read Whom for the Bells toll,it bored me.

I am now reading "Memleket Hikayeleri" by Refik Halit Karay.

Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2004 at 10:05
"Cleopatra" and "Julius Caesar" both by Grant. Kind of intesting to read them both at the same time. couple chapters from one then the other. sort of expands the time frames of each book. 
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2004 at 20:06

I'm reading two books currently, and both are excellent and highly recommended.

The first book I'm reading is "The Struggle for Mastery: Britian 1066-1284", by David Carpenter. So far (I'm only about 163 pages in), it gives an entertaining and informative account of the demographics and economics of the peoples of Britian before the Norman Conquest. A good account of William the Conqueror's invasion and consolidation of England is given, as well as the politics of Wales at that time and the ambitions of the Scottish Kings. The book also has a good narrative of the reigns of William Rufus and Henry I, and their attempts and ultimate success at forging and defending a cross Channel state. So far, I would highly recommend the book. It is kind of confusing at times though, for it does not give much background of to many of the historical figures introduced.

The other book I'm reading concurrently is "The Birth of Vietnam", by Kieth Weller Taylor. I would also highly recommend this book, as it is very entertaining and informative as well, even though I have not finished this book either (only about 123 pages in). It can be read in many ways: first and foremost, it's a book of the forging of the Vietnamese identity and their struggles for independence from China from the third century B.C. to the tenth century A.D. A good account of the founding myths of Vietnam and their effect of the Vietnamese national identity is given. Also, the effect of various early independence leaders on the development of Vietnamese independence movements is given. It can also be read as an account of the Chinese conquest and provinicial life and politics in a remote border region of Chinese civilization. There's also some information of the various kingdoms of South East Asia and Southern China before and after the Chinese invasions.

Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2004 at 21:09

"The Struggle for Mastery: Britian 1066-1284",

sounds like it's right up my ally. I'll have to take a look for it. Thanks

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2004 at 13:24
i've read half of Erik Hildigners book about Steppe warfare, but I had to quit because it's so bad. instead I'm reading now the new osprey book about Steppe warfare which is really awesome so far....
babyblue View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote babyblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2004 at 10:50
         had a browse through Kinokuniya today...a very very big book shop in Sydney...bought myself a book called Thunder out of China, by Theodore H. White and Annalee Jacoby. Should keep me at home more for the comming week...hopefully.
vagabond View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote vagabond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2004 at 14:30
Finally worked my way through Eberhard Bethge's biography of Dietrich Bonhoeffer - very slow going.  Have gone on to Alexander Adams biography of Sitting Bull.  It's not so much a biography as a survey of the Plain's Indian Wars - with an attempt at focusing on Sitting Bull's role.  As there were so few writtne records of the period from an Indian point of view - he seems to be doing a good job of balancing the perspectives.  I enjoyed "Moon of Popping Trees" by Rex Smith much more - it is the best, most well balanced short account of the events on the Plains in that period that I have seen.
In the time of your life, live - so that in that wonderous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it. (Saroyan)
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2004 at 11:12
Vagabond my freind stop reading all those books about indians or you will turn into the most dreaded creature - A Canadian elementry school Social studies teacher.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Dec-2004 at 19:26
I recently read 'For the power and the glory' by Graham Greene. Really a good novel. It's the third book of Greene I read (the others were The Comedians and Monsignor Quixote). I'm certainly going to read more Greene. 
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Dec-2004 at 16:40
the armies of Bactria 700 BC - 450 AD pretty good so far, though I spotted a few mistakes yet. parallely I'm readign bits of the book i got myself fro christmas, Charge! great Cavalry charges of the Napoleonic wars. aslo looks pretty neat so far, though it lacks the polish Chevaux-legers charge at Somosierra and the capture of that Prussian fortress by Lasalle for some reason...
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2005 at 14:11

incouraged by recent discusions of King Arthur I took to reading (or rescaning) all the non fiction books I could lay my hands on about the topic- about 12 of them at the moment.  

Murph View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2005 at 19:21
for school right now i'm reading j.d. salinger's nine stories....i've read 4 of the nine, and i've yet to comprehend one of them

i realize that salinger's ideas and meanings are out there, but i cant find them

if anyone's read the book and understand the meanings behind any of the stories your help would be greatly appreciated
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 46>