Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

About Tolkien’s books

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Do you think that Lord of the Rings is one of the greatest books ever
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
21 [75.00%]
7 [25.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Beowulf View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Beowulf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: About Tolkien’s books
    Posted: 09-Jan-2006 at 09:59

What is your favourite Tolkien's book?

I read: Lord of the Rings, Silmarillion, The Hobbit, Unfinished Tales, Tree and Leaf.

I know that there are many more books, but unfotunately they are not yet translated into Serbian .  Write your comments about these books...

Socrates View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Socrates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2006 at 10:28
Originally posted by Beowulf

I read: Lord of the Rings, Silmarillion, The Hobbit, Unfinished Tales, Tree and Leaf.

I know that there are many more books, but unfotunately they are not yet translated into Serbian .  Write your comments about these books...

My favourite is Silmarillion. And I have  the same problem concerning those translations...

Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2006 at 12:02
I like the Silmarillion the best as well.

Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2006 at 05:26
I have read Lord of the Rings, Silmarillion, The Hobbit.

I never liked Silmarillion, the story was so abstract.

By the way, what do you think about the movie?

cg rommel View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote cg rommel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2006 at 05:32

i didnt read tree and leaf, i didnt know it was translated......

anyway my favorite out of those is the silmarillion....
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2006 at 08:29

Disliked the movie, I felt the movie makers kept the subject matter on a pedastal wrapped in cotton wool.

Didn't think much of the book. Fellowship was quite good. Two Towers they spent half their time riding around a barren landscape, the author was definately running out of ideas. And return, Sauron, what a let down, build a baddie up for 6 books and he goes out without even a wimper let alone fight.

Silmarrilion I enjoyed though.

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Beowulf View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Beowulf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2006 at 12:24

Originally posted by barish

I have read Lord of the Rings, Silmarillion, The Hobbit.

I never liked Silmarillion, the story was so abstract.

By the way, what do you think about the movie?

I think that book is better then movie. Piter Jackson left out many parts from the book... Some parts of the story shouldn't have been left out (Tom Bombadil ...). And I think that some actors could have done a better job. And I understand that some changes were necessary in order for story to fit in 3 hours time...

It is my oppinion that the first part (FOTR) was the best of all three.  

Beowulf View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Beowulf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2006 at 12:31
Originally posted by cg rommel

i didnt read tree and leaf, i didnt know it was translated......

anyway my favorite out of those is the silmarillion....

I forgot to tell which is my favourite book - it's Lord of the Rings.

Tree and leaf (Drvo i list) is a rather small book, and it's more like a philosophical book - it contains some of Tolkien's thoughts about fantasy and fairy-tale. You can buy it in bookstores in Belgrade (around 200 din). 

cg rommel View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote cg rommel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2006 at 18:37
Originally posted by Paul

Disliked the movie, I felt the movie makers kept the subject matter on a pedastal wrapped in cotton wool.

Didn't think much of the book. Fellowship was quite good. Two Towers they spent half their time riding around a barren landscape, the author was definately running out of ideas. And return, Sauron, what a let down, build a baddie up for 6 books and he goes out without even a wimper let alone fight.

Silmarrilion I enjoyed though.

i agree about the movies..... i liked the battle of minas tirith in rotk, but frodo was boring.... and i agre about two towers...
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2006 at 21:53
Well, the movie was technically good enough.

But the script and acting should have been better.

kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2006 at 06:18
I read LOTR, Silmarillion, Hobbit and Akallabeth & Of the Rings of Power. I have great respect for Tolkien's imagination and ability; however, I don't like the black&white distinction in stories like goods vs. bads.
[IMG]http://www.maksimum.com/yemeicme/images/haber/raki.jpg">
Beowulf View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Beowulf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2006 at 07:26
Do you think that it would be good to make a movie based on some other books by Tolkien and which one(s)? I would like to see a movie based on Hobbit or some storys from Silmarillion.

Edited by Beowulf
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2006 at 00:37
What would have been great is if the Hobbit would have been made into a movie then the lord of the rings trilogy follow.  Of the Tolkien books I have read I like the simarillion the best, I understand the lord of the rings a lot better after having read it.  The only downside to it is having to remember all of those names.
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Illuminati View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Illuminati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2006 at 00:47
The Lord of teh Rings books rocked!

the only thing I didn;t like was that he was very non-descriptive when it came to the battle scenes. The Battle of Helms deep was described in only a few pages, and there were no gory battle details
BMC21113 View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote BMC21113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2006 at 01:11
The Hobbit was my favorite piece of literature written by Tolkien.
"To be prepared for war is one of the most effective means of preserving peace"-George Washington
"The art of war is, in the last result, the art of keeping one's freedom of action."-Xenophon
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2006 at 04:56
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Beowulf View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Beowulf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2006 at 08:24
Thank you Paul.
Socrates View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Socrates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2006 at 08:54
 I agree with Justinian - the Hobbit should have been the first to film...I'd like to see the Silmarillion on big screen...
cg rommel View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote cg rommel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2006 at 12:20
The silmarillion would take at least 6 movies to film everything......
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2006 at 11:15
I thought they were slightly overrated myself, enjoyable (providing you skip the first 50 pages of the first book), but not really my thing. I read it as an adult though, so theres that, i enjoyed the Hobbit when i read it as a kid.
Arrrgh!!"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>