Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Alexander the Gay?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Poll Question: Do you think Alexander the Great was gay?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
18 [14.29%]
34 [26.98%]
74 [58.73%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alexander the Gay?
    Posted: 10-Sep-2006 at 03:25

"Before Alexander, there were tribes, and after him, all was possible"

Sokrates View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Sokrates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2006 at 13:41
 Homo, Bi or Heterosexual , Alexander the Great is one of the most significant, if not the most significant, people in the whole history of mankind. Any deduction about the sexual orientation of a man that died more than 2000 years ago , are devoid of sense.
apro282 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote apro282 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2006 at 00:49
Originally posted by Jeru

A friend of a friend who leaves next door to a man who is friends with a historian told me that Alexander is gay.Don't you believe me?Go ask my friend!By the way the movie was nice,but Troy was better!

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL!!!!!

Edited by apro282 - 12-Sep-2006 at 00:50
maqsad View Drop Down
General
General

Quote maqsad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2006 at 16:18
Originally posted by Istor the Macedonian

Lets not forget how Greeks scultured woman's body. Look for Aphrodite of Melos in Louvre museum site. 

When compared to how they sculpted men's bodies it doesnt make a very big case though. I don't know if excercise was specifically reserved and encouraged for greek males and discouraged for greek females but it looks like most of the greek females in sculpture suffered from a severe lack of excercise and possibly a diet that was too high in sugars and cereals.

And another thing, was not homosexuality, or at least bisexuality actually encouraged in ancient sparta? Was it not encouraged for spartan warriors to take young boys as "apprentices" and have physical relations with them as part of the "male bonding" process or was this just a vicious rumor? An article on the spartans I read on wikipedia insisted on that and I admit I was a little bit disturbed to read that. Also it asserted that spartan men did not mind if their wives were impregnated with "studs" because their society was geared towards eugenics and survival and propagation of the fittest. Shocked
apro282 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote apro282 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2006 at 11:17
Originally posted by maqsad

Originally posted by Istor the Macedonian

Lets not forget how Greeks scultured woman's body. Look for Aphrodite of Melos in Louvre museum site. 

And another thing, was not homosexuality, or at least bisexuality actually encouraged in ancient sparta? Was it not encouraged for spartan warriors to take young boys as "apprentices" and have physical relations with them as part of the "male bonding" process or was this just a vicious rumor? An article on the spartans I read on wikipedia insisted on that and I admit I was a little bit disturbed to read that.

No it wasn't, infact the exact opposite is true, and I wouldn't be using wiki, a site that anyone with fingers could edit, as a source of valuable information. I suggest actually reading Xenophon, Constitution of the Lacedaimonians 2.13  and Symposium (The Banquet) 8.70 which state clearly how wrong your assumptions above are.
Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Perseas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2006 at 19:41
Just some quotes i have collected that have to do with his sexuality.

As he afterwards contemplated the wealth and display of Darius, he was seized with admiration of such magnificence.  Hence it was that he first began to indulge in luxurious and splendid banquets, and fell in love with his captive Barsine for her beauty, by whom he had afterwards a son that he called Hercules.[
[Justin  9.10]

At any rate Alexander, so it seems, thought it more worthy of a king to subdue his own passions than to conquer his enemies, and so he never came near these women, nor did he associate with any other before his marriage, with the exception only of Barsine.  This woman, the widow of Memnon, the Greek mercenary commander, was captured at Damascus.  She had received a Greek education, was of a gentle disposition, and could claim royal descent, since her father was Artabazus who had married one of the Persian kings daughters.  These qualities made Alexander the more willing he was encouraged by Parmenio, so Aristobulus tells us to form an attachment to a woman of such beauty and noble lineage. 

[Plutarch, Alexander]

He also held weddings at Susa for himself and for the Companions; he himself married Darius eldest daughter Barsine, and, as Aristobulus says, another wife as well, Parysatis, the youngest daughter of Ochus. He had already taken to wife Roxane, the daughter of Oxyartes the Bactrian. To Hephaestion he gave Drypetis, another daughter of Darius, sister to his own wife (for he desired Hephaestions children to be cousins of his own); to Craterus, Amastrine daughter of Oxyatres, Darius brother; to Perdiccas,  a daughter of Atropates, satrap of Media; to Ptolemy the bodyguard and Eumenes the royal secretary, the daughters of Artabazus, Artacama and Artonis respectively ; to Nearchus the daughter of Barsine and Mentor; to Seleucus the daughter of Spitamenes the Bactrian, and similarly to the other Companions the noblest daughters of Persians and Medes, numbering about eighty.

[Arrian 8.4.4- 8.4.8]

Note here we arent talking the Barsine, widow of Memnon. But Barsine, elsewhere found as Stateira.

For Alexander's first mistress in Asia, by whom he had his son Hercules, was Barsine the daughter of Artabazus; and in the distribution of the Persian ladies amongst his captains, Alexander gave Apame, one of his sisters, to Ptolemy, and another, also called Barsine, to Eumenes.

[Plutarch, Eumenes]

Soon after, Alexander assumed the attire of the Persian monarchs, as well as the diadem, which was unknown to the kings of Macedonia, as if he gave himself up to the customs of those whom be had conquered. And lest such innovations should be viewed with dislike, if adopted by himself alone, he desired his friends also to wear the long robe of gold and purple. That he might imitate the luxury too, as well as the dress of the Persians, he spent his nights among troops of the kings concubines of eminent beauty and birth. To these extravagances he added vast magnificence in feasting; and lest his entertainments should seem jejune and parsimonious, he accompanied his banquets, according to the ostentation of the eastern monarchs, with games; being utterly unmindful that power is accustomed to be lost, not gained, by such practices.

[Justin, Book 12, part 3]

Then he put on the Persian diadem and dressed himself in the white robe and the Persian sash and everything else except the trousers and the long-sleeved upper garment.  He distributed to his companions cloaks with purple borders and dressed the horses in Persian harness. In addition to all this, he added concubines to his retinue in the manner of Dareius, in number not less than the days of the year and outstanding in beauty as selected from all the women of Asia.  [SIZE="3"]Each night these paraded about the couch of the king so that he might select the one with whom he would lie that night. Alexander, as a matter of fact, employed these customs rather sparingly and kept for the most part to his accustomed routine, not wishing to offend the Macedonians

[Diodorus Sic. XVII.77.5]

Pausanias was in love with his wife, Apelles with Alexanders mistress, she was called Pancaste and came from Larisa.  She is said to have been the first woman Alexander slept with

[Aelian - Varia Historia, 12.34]

And yet Alexander conferred honour on him [Apelles] in a most conspicuous instance; he had such an admiration for the beauty of his favourite mistress named Pancaspe, , that he gave orders that she should be painted in the nude by Apelles, and then discovering that the artist while executing the commission had fallen in love with the woman, he presented her to him, great-minded as he was and still greater owing to his control of himself, and of a greatness proved by this action as much as by any other victory: because he conquered himself, and presented not only his bedmate but his affection also to the artist, and was not even influenced by regard for the feelings of his favourite in having been recently the mistress of a monarch and now belonged to a painter.

[Pliny, The Natural History]

Then the queen came with a group of ladies of noble birth who made libations from golden bowls.  The queen herself placed her little son at Alexanders knees, and from him gained not only a pardon but also the restitution of her former status, for she retained the title of queen.  Some have held the belief that it was the queens beauty rather than Alexanders compassionate nature that won her this,  and it is a fact that she subsequently bore a son who was named Alexander, whoever his father was.

[Curtius Rufus VIII,10,34]

For, passionate as this king was, he was in like measure self-controlled when it came to the observance of decency and the best form.  When, for example, he had taken captive the daughters of Darius and his wife as well, a woman of very distinguished beauty, he not only kept his hands off them, but he even refrained from letting them know that they were captives, and ordered that everything be done for them just as if Darius were still king.  Therefore Darius on learning this, raised his arms and prayed to the Sun that either he or Alexander might be king.

[Athenaeus: Deipnosophists XIII]

A mathematician is a person who thinks that if there are supposed to be three people in a room, but five come out, then two more must enter the room in order for it to be empty.
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2006 at 00:19
Originally posted by Sokrates

Homo, Bi or Heterosexual , Alexander the Great is one of the most significant, if not the most significant, people in the whole history of mankind. Any deduction about the sexual orientation of a man that died more than 2000 years ago , are devoid of sense.

I agree with you 100%, and my quote was from Ptolemy l of Egypt.
Sirona View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Sirona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2006 at 09:36
Ancient and contemporary sexual practices and identities are really very different and to judge Alexander by today's standards is therefore not very correct. He was bisexual, from what we can make out from the sources, but this was a common sexual practice back then, and not only amongst Ancient Greeks but some other ancient groups too.

Besides that, I agree that his sexuality is quite besides the point considering what his role in history was. His importance isn't linked to his sexual preference at all.
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2006 at 14:14
For those that beleive that Alexander was homosexual,gay, bi or any sexual relative did have to present us any linguistic or historical fact ?

Edited by akritas - 30-Sep-2006 at 14:26
Sirona View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Sirona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2006 at 14:41
Here's a brief article by Dr. Jeanne Reames-Zimmerman, with references to Arrian and Curtius.

http://pothos.org/alexander.asp?paraID=42

In addition, I am taking a class in Alexander this semester, and this issue came up in the beginning of the semester as it is to be expected and the professor's explanation (as a Greek historian) was along the same lines with the article I linked to. I did not find the link through my class resources, but while doing a quick search on references to the subject.

I believe we are all aware of the eastes-eromenos concept.

akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2006 at 15:01
Sirona if your post is an answer in my question I think that your link is clearly as about Alexander sexuality.

No. I say no, not because he had no relationships with men and boys but because our term "homosexual" and "gay" are inappropriate terms for antiquity

There is not any quote or reference  from any ancient writer regarding the supposing Alexander's homosexuality. This is myth that built in the last quorter of the 20th cent from the modern writers.
Sirona View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Sirona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2006 at 16:05
Akritas, as I said, I am not arguing that Alexander was gay or homosexual, he was not. And in any case, these are modern terms. However, bisexuality was common in the ancient world and you are not doubting that, I believe? That's why I mentioned the erotas-eromenos concept.

I don't think we will never know for sure as the people in question have been dead for over two millenia, but Alexander's relationship with Hephaeistion and later the Persian courtier were documented (not documented in the sense of an erotic tale, but the nature of the relationship.)

I am not a Greek history scholar, I'm only doing a minor in history (I am studying in Greece, by the way) but I can ask for exact sources from my professor who is Greek, and a history professor concentrated in ancient Greek history. As for the 20th century invention comment, in fact, no, it has been discussed much earlier but has been more of a "hot" topic in the 20th century what with the gender issues and everything. But like I said before, I don't think Alexander's sexuality really matters in terms of his historical role.

Edited by Sirona - 30-Sep-2006 at 16:05
apro282 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote apro282 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2006 at 19:14
Originally posted by Sirona

Akritas, as I said, I am not arguing that Alexander was gay or homosexual, he was not. And in any case, these are modern terms. However, bisexuality was common in the ancient world and you are not doubting that, I believe? That's why I mentioned the erotas-eromenos concept.

I don't think we will never know for sure as the people in question have been dead for over two millenia, but Alexander's relationship with Hephaeistion and later the Persian courtier were documented (not documented in the sense of an erotic tale, but the nature of the relationship.)

I am not a Greek history scholar, I'm only doing a minor in history (I am studying in Greece, by the way) but I can ask for exact sources from my professor who is Greek, and a history professor concentrated in ancient Greek history. As for the 20th century invention comment, in fact, no, it has been discussed much earlier but has been more of a "hot" topic in the 20th century what with the gender issues and everything. But like I said before, I don't think Alexander's sexuality really matters in terms of his historical role.

Sinora you are totally wrong in believing that  bisexuality was common in ancient Greece and your "history professor" is basing most of that BS info on modern interpetations views put forth by 19th century "scholars", who they themselves were openly Gay/Bisexual, and Dover, and anyone who is familiar with Dover will tell you his info is tented with bias. 

Akiras, to answer your question, no there isn't any ancient text which say this to be true.  What people seem to fail in understanding is the concepts of "eros" in ancient Greece is not what some modern individuals think it to be.  The following is a post which was posted by another poster in a message board and the person who wrote it is very well informed and knowledgable in ancient Greek society:

"Philip, I dont get what exactly your question means (I guess it is due to my poor command of the English language, even though my good friend Apro tells you otherwise ). But if you ask me if the Spartan law allowed homosexuality or encouraged it in any way, my answer is NO, plainly because there isnt evidence for that, on the contrary various ancient Greek sources/writers (who are not Spartan themselves) tell us exactly the opposite. For instance:

Aristotle the great philosopher, writes that the Spartans are people who dont appreciate homosexuality and dont practise sodomy, as opposed to some other people.
Xenophon, the famous Athenian historian and philosopher, in his historical piece of writing called Lacedaemonians Politeia/Country, reports that Lycurgus (the great Spartan legislator and founder of Spartas law) praised as the most worthwhile form of education the admiration of a virtuous man for the soul of a child and his endeavor to shape that child/boy into a good fellow-warrior, so that he could live well in his companionship. Conversely, Lycurgus considered any kind of carnal passion for the body of a child/boy to be a great source of shame.
Plutarch the biographer also confirms the aforementioned about Lycurgus and the Spartan law.
Given also that the Spartans were people who deeply respected their law (it was obeying their law that they fell to the last man fighting bravely a lost battle at Thermopylae :-)), it is quite unlikely that homosexuality/pederasty was the common practice of the Spartan society, as it is claimed today by some non-Greek scholars who misinterpret the institution of pederasty in ancient Sparta. Is it the problem that they are not Greek themselves, or that the present-day thought is so mistrustful of customs which brought men so close to their fellow men in a very ancient, so distant society?

As an aside here, let me mention what was the exact meaning of the ancient Greek word eros and its derivatives, so that you be able to understand more easily what the institution of pederasty was in ancient Sparta:

In ancient Greece, Eros, i.e. the little winged God who was Aphrodites son, was the incarnation of love. According to the ancient Greeks (as in the famous work by Plato, the Symposium, it is reported) there are two kinds of love: the first has to do with the satisfying of our fleshy desires (sex), while the second aims at the good of the person that someone loves, that is at his or her moral perfection. So the ancient word eros has a double meaning, and when I write it without quotation marks (eros) it will denote the first kind of love whose purpose is the sensual or carnal pleasure, but when I write it with quotation marks (eros) it will denote the second kind of love mentioned above. That kind of eros is the one about which Ill talk from now on.

Eros is connected with the ancient Greek verb ero, which means neither I love nor Im in love, but I long for, I yearn, i.e. Im continually seeking through my soul for whatever Im lacking. A psychic need was contained within this verb, which sought a deeper satisfaction. When I ero somebody/something, I am an erastes of him/it, which means Im a lover of him/it but not in the sense of the sexual partner but in the sense of the admirer/worshipper. So someone can be an erastes/lover of wisdom and valor for instance, which means that he never gives up searching for these virtues because hes an admirer of them and he longs for them. Another paradigm is that of the great philosopher Socrates, who presented himself as an erastes/lover to his students, because through the cultivation of their souls he aimed at their moral perfection, i.e. at the beauty of their souls. And eros always turns towards the beautiful, as the flower turns towards the sun (i.e. the human soul always longs for the beautiful). From the aforementioned it is obvious that there could be eros between two individuals without any bodily contact. This is also known as Platonic eros, and sensual or carnal pleasure is not its purpose because it can never fulfill us as individuals, and because we gain it by exploiting in some way the beloved person (eromenos in ancient Greek), who is thus diminished in this manner.

Sorry if all the aforementioned sound scholarly and boring, but pederasty in ancient Sparta is directly related to the concept of eros which Ive just analyzed. As I mentioned above, eros which has nothing to do with fleshy desires and carnal pleasure always turns to the beautiful (i.e. the human soul always longs for the beautiful). The ancient Greeks have always been erastes/lovers of measure/moderation, harmony and beauty. The beautiful was worthy of every form of admiration, respect and honor by the ancient Greeks. For instance, the beautiful, healthy and harmonious human body (as the ancient Greeks immortalized it in statues and sculptures of unique beauty), whether it belong to a man or a woman, was an object of admiration. And since the beauty is first and foremost a characteristic of youth, let us examine the so-called pederasty in ancient Sparta:

While the word pederasty in all languages means an erotic perversion, in classical antiquity it was also used in the sense of a pedagogical institution, based on the pure and disinterested love of boys, i.e. on the concept of eros as I analyzed it above, and not on homosexual relations with them. That pedagogical institution was used not only in ancient Sparta but also in ancient (classical) Athens to some extent, only that in Sparta it was officially enacted by the city-state. From now on when I speak of that ancient pedagogical institution Ill use the word with quotation marks (pederasty), in contradistinction to pederasty without quotation marks, which will mean what we all mean today by this word (i.e. a man who has sex with a boy).

Back to ancient Sparta, the so-called pederasty was (at least from the 6th to the 4th century BC) a part of the obligatory education of all the little male Spartans, which was called agogH. The suitable age for adolescents to receive this education (i.e. the pederasty) was thought to be from twelve to eighteen. At that age they could be assigned to an adult man as their companion, who in agreement with the customs had to be over twenty years of age. So it was very good fortune and an honor for a boy when a citizen who enjoyed general public esteem, took him under his wing. Conversely, it was shameful for a boy if he did not have the honor of such a friendship. This relationship was also marked by the consent of the boys father, who felt proud when a worthy man chose his son. This custom/institution of pederasty had its roots in Doric practices (the Spartans belonged to the Doric tribe). The Dorians, just like the Spartans, were warlike people, and they introduced the custom of pederasty because the men lived in army camps and by the very nature of things the older men became the teachers and guides of the future warriors/soldiers.

In such a pederastic relationship, the adult man was the erastes/lover of the boy (paedikon), a lover not in the sense of the sexual partner but in the sense I have analyzed it above. That is, the lover felt admiration for a beautiful young boy who selected to teach/train, and that admiration for the beauty of the boy (both, the beauty of its body and its soul) was the main stimulus for the man to proceed with the selection of that boy whose inner world he wished to mould so as to make him into the proper/good (kalos kagathos) man. The lover had with the boy ceaseless discussions, which dealt with a great range of subjects. Through these discussions the man tried to inspire the youth with moral values, such as obedience to the laws, the ways of proper behavior, nobility and ethos, so that he would become a courageous and moral man. The adolescent in his turn had to respect his mentor, and deeply esteem him and to show by his behavior how obliged he was to him.

Such a pederastic relationship was a love on a psychic level, a spiritual bond, eros without the accompaniment of Aphrodite as the ancient Greeks said, i.e. eros without any bodily love/sexual intercourse. In fact, as I have already mentioned, Lycurgus and the Spartan law forbade pederasty as we mean it today (i.e. the pederasty which includes sexual intercourse), considered it to be a punishable offense and the courts rigorously persecuted it. It was strictly forbidden for the adolescent to assume any posture that facilitated contact with the backside or introduction of the male member into any part of his body, and play in this way the role of a woman (i.e. the role of a carnal object). That would be humiliating, since women were reckoned to be second class/inferior than men beings back then. The young boy was destined to become a citizen, and as a future citizen should not be dishonored in that way. It would be debasing for the adolescent to find himself in the passive position of humiliation and submission. Just how disgraceful they considered this to be is shown for instance by a representation on a ancient red-figured vase. This representation depicts a Persian in a posture which is declared by the inscription underneath: I am Evrymedon. I have submitted myself. Behind him there can be seen an arriving Greek, gesturing with his genitals in such a way there can be no doubt as to his intentions. This vase, painted after the victory of the Greeks against the Persians, triumphantly proclaims (just like some people would do today when their team wins at football/basketball ): We scre*wed the Persians!

From the aforementioned it is obvious that as opposed to what many people think today pederasty in ancient Sparta was not male homosexuality, but the primary method of raising the male youth. It was considered to be an important pedagogical factor/institution, which, examined from a moral point of view, had its own special character that was maintained on an aesthetic, religious and educational basis. Its purpose was the maintenance of institutions, and the elevation of social and personal virtue with the assistance of the city-state. This ethic that was built up around eros in relationships between men with virtue as their aim, was the source of great valor and the secret of male friendship. As difficult as it is to understand today, this love had nothing humiliating, corrupting or effeminate about it. It was the force that gave rise to heroism and directed valor to remarkable heights. Because eros lends a divine spirit and makes men braver, and furthermore it is the best way to maintain the line of battle. And indeed, the salvation and victory of the warriors lay in their friendship which formed the line. A brilliant proof of this assertion concerning this particular form of male behavior was the so-called Sacred Band of Thebes. They were called the company of lovers, many times sarcastically by those who were envious of the rise of Thebes to power. Just like the Spartans, they were reckoned to be great warriors/soldiers, and they showed at the battlefield the great valor and self-sacrifice of the Spartans: in the battle of Chaeroneia, for instance, the soldiers of the Sacred Band of Thebes fell to the last man (just like the 300 Spartans at Thermopylae) fighting bravely against the Macedonian king Philip B. Deeply moved by their great valor, the victorious king Philip said: A curse on those who have treacherously hinted that such men could have done or accepted anything vile

Since it is not my intention to show any form of bias, let me also add that (even though there isnt sufficient evidence for that) we cant exclude the possibility that there were indeed some homosexual relationships between men in ancient Sparta. Sexual deviations have existed in all places and in all eras, and ancient Sparta/Greece shouldnt be excluded from this rule. Furthermore, let me also add that anything that occurs between two people that is completely consensual is a personal matter - and respected. But if such male homosexual relationships existed indeed, they constituted by no means the rule, and they didnt characterize the ancient Spartan society, as I have already argued. In other words, ancient Sparta (/Greece) is by no means the cradle of perversion, as many people tend to reckon her today! "
~mvarda
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2006 at 23:33
Alexander was Bi.
Oliver Stone made a film called "Alexander's Sex Life".
What do his sexual preferences have to do with his other historical achievements?
Back then bisexuality was something less politically sensitive.
Some radical Spartan militarists used bisexuality to make the warriors actually "love" each other so they would be even more willing to die for each other in battle, but these same soldiers were then encouraged & expected to eventually marry and raise a family.  The Spartans clearly went through too many extremes in their quests for military perfection.

Edited by Hellios - 02-Oct-2006 at 23:56
apro282 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote apro282 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2006 at 23:50
Originally posted by Hellios

Alexander was bi.  Oliver Stone made a film called "Alexander's Sex Life".  What does sexual preferences have to do with his other historical achievements though?  Anyhow, maybe back then homosexuality was seen as something less politically sensitive?  Maybe he was also a pioneer in gay rights LOL?

Alexander was "bi" and the Easter Bunny is Pink and comes down a chimney.   And while you are believing that I also have a bridge to sell you in Brookline and a Moon ride to outerspace. LOL

While I'm quoting mvarda's great posts, here is another interesting one

Mvarda replying to this post: 'Spartans were opressors yah ... sparta killed spartan babies/children who were week physcilly and mentally ... killed slaves/helots who were strong--so the spartans were just as brutal to their own kind as the helots. the Nazis were about genocide, they thought they were already superior whereas the spartans trid to keep/make that superiority.'

"Unfortunately there is a myth today about ancient Sparta, which has been gradually constructed since the second half of the 17th century AC, when various totalitarian ideologies/regimes (even racist ones such as that of Hitler) claimed that they were patterned upon the Spartan way of life/principles/ideal. As a result the most people today (even historians/researchers among them) have a stereotype view of the Spartans which has nothing to do with historical actuality. A part and parcel of this myth is the alleged unprecedented/unique cruelty of the Spartans, who were throwing down from Kaeadas (a chasm of Taygetus mountain) deformed newborn babies, haunted by the ideal of a superior race (i.e. something like the Nazis :-)) First, it is evidenced from both, ancient sources/texts and archaeological findings too, that the Spartans threw down from Kaeadas not babies but only either adult alive convicts condemned to death or their dead bodies. This was a practice common to many other ancient Greek cities-states, too. In Athens for instance, they threw their own convicts down from the northwest side of the Acropolis. The Spartans actually exposed deformed babies in places called Apothetes (the verb apotheto in Greek means lay/put something down in a specific place). The Apothetes were places such as a temple, a house, a cave, a forest or a chasm. No ancient text identifies the Apothetes with Kaeadas chasm. On the contrary from the 17th century AC and on, the texts about ancient Sparta take to identifying arbitrarily the Apothetes with Kaeadas, which is a distortion of historical actuality. Second, it is also evidenced that the exposure of deformed babies wasnt a particularity of the Spartan society but A COMMON PRACTICE all over the ancient Greek world. The monstrous baby caused the community fear (any community, not only the Spartan community) and it was undesirable by everybody, so it was abandoned/exposed. I know that this strikes us as extremely cruel in the light of our modern/Christian morality. But we should keep in mind that we talk about societies of a radically different era, during which the whole known world in general was more rough than it is today (theoretically at least ). Third, actually in other Greek cities-states (as opposed to ancient Sparta) were exposed not only deformed babies but healthy/able-bodied babies, as well. Please note that the exposure of able-bodied babies, which the father wouldnt own as his legitimate children or wouldnt like/couldnt afford to bring up (due to social/financial reasons), was a custom wide spread over the Greek world and constantly increasing, until the Byzantine times that emperor Ioustinianos (527-565 AC) forbade it on the penalty of death. Back to antiquity, in the city-state of Athens for instance, a father would initially own the newborn baby as his. Then, in order to become an Athenian citizen, the baby had to be accepted as a member of the fratria of the father. (The city-state of Athens included 4 Ionian fyles, i.e. 4 tribes, and each tribe included a number of fratrias. Each fratria consisted of kindred groups of people who had a common ancestor). Thus during the Athenian feast called Apatouria the father would present his newborn baby to his fratria and would ask to be enrolled as a member of the fratria. If the baby was deformed it was not accepted and thus it was exposed (just like in Sparta). But even in the case that it was an able-bodied baby, if someone doubted the legitimacy of the child (i.e. if someone claimed that one of the parents was not an Athenian) and managed to persuade and the others, then the baby wasnt accepted as an Athenian citizen and it was inevitably exposed, too. The same happened in other Greek city-states, as well. Similarly in Sparta a father would initially own the newborn baby as his. Then the father had to present the baby to his fylH (i.e. to his tribe) in order to be accepted as a member of the tribe, so that to be able to participate in the training called agogH and become someday a homoios, i.e. a Spartan citizen with full civic rights. If the baby was deformed it was exposed, just like in Athens and various other Greek cities-states. But in Sparta -as opposed to other Greek cities- an able-bodied baby was never exposed if someone doubted its legitimacy, because in Sparta there were enacted social classes such as the perioikoi and the helotes in which the able-bodied baby was always accepted. Thus in Sparta such children could remain members of the paternal family/house, without being intended for becoming homoioi someday. From the aforementioned it is obvious that the custom of exposure was actually in Sparta MILDER than it was in other Greek cities. Fourth, only after 1700 AC the Spartan practice (in relation with babies) is isolated from the widespread all over the ancient Greek world custom of exposure of babies and it is characterized as a savage and ruthless action dictated by eugenism (i.e. by the longing for the creation of a superior race). On the contrary ANYONE of those much later views (frequent in texts after 1700 AC) about the Spartans alleged particularity or savagery with regard to babies ISNT REPORTED IN ANCIENT TEXTS. This means that the ancient Greeks didnt reckon the attitude of the Spartans towards babies unusual, extreme or reprehensible (as we tend to reckon it today). Conclusively, the exposure of deformed (and not only deformed) babies was a common practice in the ancient Greek world, and in Sparta in particular it wasn't motivated by the creation of a superior Spartan race, as some contemporary researchers claim. The alleged unprecedented/unique cruelty of the Spartans towards babies is a myth constructed in our modern times (after 1700 AC) within the framework of our modern ethics. Another part and parcel of the modern Spartan myth is the maltreatment of the helotes by the homoioi, which supposedly caused the hatred of the helotes towards the homoioi and vice versa the homoiois fear of the helotes and had as a consequence the idiosyncratic constitution of the Spartan society. The aforementioned also belong to a great extent in the sphere of hyperbole. I could analyze that more extensively, but it would took me ages to construct a brief account of the existed evidence and translate it into English, so I'm finishing this post at this point."

~mvarda

Edited by apro282 - 03-Oct-2006 at 01:08
Batu View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Batu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2006 at 11:05
homosexual relationships were common in greece those times right?
A wizard is never late,nor he is early he arrives exactly when he means to :) ( Gandalf the White in the Third Age of History Empire Of Istari )
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2006 at 11:48
Originally posted by Batu

What supposed to do with the thread if your provocated quote is truth  ?

Edited by akritas - 11-Oct-2006 at 11:49
Vivek Sharma View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2006 at 01:12
What does it matter if he was something or not now. He would still be great.
PATTON NAGAR, Brains win over Brawn
Brainstorm View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Brainstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2006 at 07:37
Originally posted by Batu

Homosexual relationships exist in every culture.
More or less 10%-11% of male population had some kind of homosexual experience. (4% gay ,other bisexual)

The only thing that changes , is how acceptable are these relationships in every society-and this is usually in analogy of how free and progressive is this society.
As for ancient Greece,we cannot judge it as a whole,but always express an opinion about an exact period and exact area.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2006 at 23:28
The concept that gay behavoir is a sin comes from Jewish culture and religion.

Christianity was the one that spread it when tried to change the decadent mentality that existed at the end of the Antiquity and the decline of the Middle Ages. Now, it seems Barbarians and Christians agreed in the topic homosexuality was a sin, or at least a disgusting activity.

Greeks on this topic, and many others are closer to the ancient oriental mentality. Greeks and Romans have lots of homosexuals in theirs ranks, phylosophers included. Arabs of the times of Harun Al-Rachid were also quite tolerant to that behavoir.

Today's gays should take the time machine and leave for those times LOL

Intollerance has been particularly strong in both Catholic and Protestant countries up to recent times. In Catholic countries is still a widespread notion that gays are defective people, like handicaped; abnormal people, anyways. And it is still believed gay relations is an activity against nature.
Killings of gays, particularly travesties, are relatively common in Latin America, for instance.

Pinguin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>