Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The recipe thread (serious attempt)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The recipe thread (serious attempt)
    Posted: 30-Apr-2006 at 00:29

Korean Cabbage Kimchi

The favorite kimchi vegetable is Chinese (or Napa) cabbage. The Koreans ferment it in enormous quantities. They then pack the kimchi into huge earthenware jars, bury the jars in the ground up to the neck, and cover the lids with straw until the kimchi is needed. Kimchi almost always includes hot pepper, usually dried and either ground or crushed into flakes. Because the ground dried hot pepper sold in Korean markets is generally fairly mild, Koreans can use generous quantities. Some of the Mexican (and New Mexican) ground peppers now sold in supermarkets are comparable. If you can't find ground pepper with a moderate heat level, you might combine sweet paprika and cayenne to suit your taste.

3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon pickling salt 6 cups water
2 lbs. Chinese (Napa) cabbage, cut into 2-inch squares
6 scallions, cut into 2-inch lengths, then slivered
1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
2 tablespoons Korean ground dried hot pepper (or other mildly hot ground red pepper)
1 teaspoon sugar

Makes about 1 1/2 Quarts

1. Dissolve the 3 tablespoons salt in the water. Put the cabbage into a large bowl, a crock, or a nonreactive pot, and pour the brine over it. Weight the cabbage down with a plate. Let the cabbage stand for 12 hours.

2. Drain the cabbage, reserving the brine. Mix the cabbage with the remaining ingredients, including the 1 teaspoon salt. Pack the mixture into a 2-quart jar. Pour enough of the reserved brine over the cabbage to cover it. Push a freezer bag into the mouth of the jar, and pour the remaining brine into the bag. Seal the bag. Let the kimchi ferment in a cool place, at a temperature no higher than 68 F, for 3 to 6 days,until the kimchi is as sour as you like.

3. Remove the brine bag, and cap the jar tightly. Store the kimchi in the refrigerator, where it will keep for months.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=recipe+kimchi

South Korea promotes dog meat

South Korean defenders of an old culinary tradition, dog meat eating, are launching a new initiative on Monday.

They are aiming to popularise canine cuisine in the run-up to the World Cup finals, which are being jointly hosted by South Korea and Japan in May and June.

A group of dog meat restaurant owners are to set up a nationwide federation, while a one day seminar will discuss ways of promoting dog meat.

The controversy surrounding dog meat eating in South Korea refuses to disappear.

Now around 100 dog meat restaurant owners are planning to fight back at their critics.

They are launching a nationwide federation to promote dog meat to foreign visitors in the run up to the World Cup.

They plan to launch websites in English and Japanese to promote the eating of dog meat and defend it as part of the national culture.

The sites will publicize restaurants near World Cup stadium and there are plans to hold sampling parties for foreigners.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/1758765.stm

http://briansprediction.com/south%20korea%20dog%20cloning%20 dog%20meat.jpg

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2006 at 10:18

Talking about cabbage... it's one of my fav vege... I found a recipe.. which is my fav dish for cabbage.. try for ur self..

Originally posted by http://www.wokme.com/recipes/malaysian/malaysian_stir_fried_cabbage.html

Malaysian Stir-Fried Cabbage 

Ingredients

Pictured above; Cabbages

1 medium sized cabbage
4 tablespoon of vegetable oil
2 teaspoons of curry powder or tumeric powder
250 grams of minced beef
250 grams of  cooked prawn meat
1 onion, finely chopped
1 chilli finely chopped
1 teaspoon of salt salt
1 teaspoon of pepper
Splash of water.
Coriander to garnish.

Directions

Shred cabbage into thin strips.

Heat the oil in a saucepan and stir fry the beef over medium heat until cooked..

Heat oil in a saucepan, then stir-fry onions and the beef with the curry powder and salt over medium heat, cooking in small batches then returning all to the pan for 2 minutes until mixed and cooked throughout. Remove from pan and set aside.

Add the chopped prawn meat and chilli to the pan and stir fry, once cooked mix with beef mixture and set aside.

Heat the wok to high and add a little water and remaining oil, then add the cabbage in batches.

Once cabbage is nearly cooked, add a cup of cabage, with a cup of the meat mixture and stir fry on high for a few seconds.

Do not overcook the cabbage, it is best served a little crisp.

Serve sizzling with some coriander to garnish. serves 6

eat with rice.... .. i prefer use tumeric powder rather thn curry powder..

Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2006 at 15:05
Guys soon it will be dead hot summer for most of us.

Here is the only good thing my Greek friends are eating in London,
perfect for over 30 weathers:

Ingredients:

Watermelon
Feta cheese

How to do it (for dudes only, chicks know)

Open the feta pacage
Cut it into peace
Open the watermelon (very funny you can through it into the air and use
your mother's knife as if you were a gazi getting through a templar
bunch, don't get hurt though).
Pick up all the watermelon slices you've spread around the kitchen and
put it into your girlfriend's male best friend's plate. Spit on it (if you get
caught doing that say whether it is an old voodoo curse to wish him luck
or you had been tring to catch a mosquito and decided play it chameleon
style)

Eat it watch France winning the World Cup.
I am a free donkey!
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2006 at 13:39
Originally posted by Maharbbal

Guys soon it will be dead hot summer for most of us.

Here is the only good thing my Greek friends are eating in London,
perfect for over 30 weathers:

Ingredients:

Watermelon
Feta cheese

How to do it (for dudes only, chicks know)

Open the feta pacage
Cut it into peace
Open the watermelon (very funny you can through it into the air and use
your mother's knife as if you were a gazi getting through a templar
bunch, don't get hurt though).
Pick up all the watermelon slices you've spread around the kitchen and
put it into your girlfriend's male best friend's plate. Spit on it (if you get
caught doing that say whether it is an old voodoo curse to wish him luck
or you had been tring to catch a mosquito and decided play it chameleon
style)

Eat it watch France winning the World Cup.

This is the first time I've seen a recipe for "slicing" fruits and cheeses! ...and the "spitting" must give it extra flavour! ahhhhhh! Where's Cahayaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!

Edited by morticia - 25-May-2006 at 13:40
"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2006 at 14:05
Hmm, i have a recipe for watermelon curry somewhere, its a Rajasthani recipe.
Arrrgh!!"
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2006 at 15:07
Take a few boiled pataoes(natural) peal them put them in a bowl mash them up ad one glas of milk(water glas 33/cl) mabey 1.5 or 2 hasn't got to thin. Take half an onion chop it in squares(tiny) ad them in the "mix" you also can ad( how do you say this it's salca in turkish) it's tomato(sticky red stufLOL) 1/2 spoon.(this is additional) you can ad some parsely for the flavour. ad any igredient you like not to much thow
I forgott at an egg or 2(it depends). Stirr the guhy stuff Big smile

Take friyingpan put some oil in it.(I prefere Sunfloweroil or Kornoil(I hope it's called like thisTongue))

You need to take the guhy stuff I remind you it needs to be thick enough to stick like doe. Take it with a spoon and toss it in to the oil let i frie

that stuff is realy jummy don't let the guhyness scare you.
(it's an old family recepy dating back to last week when i was hungry and in a creative mood).

btw  if you want it with chicken ad curry to the gue(how do you spell gue,guh or ghue???)

Edited by xi_tujue - 28-May-2006 at 15:09
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2006 at 09:15
Yuhuuu!!! Hello everybody... now i am back with a recipe from india originally... it's nice.... normally it is serve during diwali or any normal days and can eat this while watching World Cup.. lol.. for malay we make this during eid too... so... try

Originally posted by http://festivals.iloveindia.com/janmashtmi/murukku.html

MURUKKU

Murukku %28Rice Chakli%29

< =text/> < ="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js" =text/>
Ingredients

4 cups Raw rice
Half cup White gram
25 gms White sesame seeds
25 gms Cumin seeds
2 tablespoons Asafetida powder
100 gms Butter
Table salt - to taste
Oil - for frying

Method
  • Wash and clean the rice well. Let it out to dry and once it has dried completely, powder it nicely.
  • Fry the gram orange and powder it and keep it aside.
  • Mix the powdered rice, powdered gram, white sesame seeds, cumin seeds, asafetida powder, butter and salt together, without adding water. Take a little of this mixture, add water to it to get a dough like consistency. Now take this dough and twist it into circular shapes of the murukku (chakkli).
  • Heat oil in a kadai. Test how hot it is by dropping a pinch of dough into it - if it sinks, the oil hasn't become hot enough. If the dough springs to the top with bubbles all around it, then the oil is just ready.
  • Drop in the murukku gently into the hot oil and fry golden brown. Keep flipping the sides till the murukku is done.
  • Store in an air tight container.

for rice part... normally there will be rice flour in packet sold in the market so...dont worry about drying the rice and all.

Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2006 at 18:18

Bread Inside Bread(1 person, ideal for penniless brethrens)

Cut a slice of bread in form of a sandwich bread...Then take off the inner soft white part of it, and then reverse the rest of the bread so the outer side will come inside and you will be holding the inner white side...Then put the soft white bread you removed inside the sandwich bread you prepared and eat with joy!!

Bon apetit ;)
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2006 at 10:21
Originally posted by Kapikulu

Bread Inside Bread(1 person, ideal for penniless brethrens)

Cut a slice of bread in form of a sandwich bread...Then take off the inner soft white part of it, and then reverse the rest of the bread so the outer side will come inside and you will be holding the inner white side...Then put the soft white bread you removed inside the sandwich bread you prepared and eat with joy!!

Bon apetit ;)

I'm still HUNGRY! Got anything to spread on that piece of bread?
"Morty

morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2006 at 09:35
I recently went to dinner at a local Mexican restaurant and had the most delicious "quesadillas" ever! Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:
Large flour tortillas
Grated cheese - either mild or sharp cheddar, or Monterey Jack
Olive oil or grapeseed oil

Optional:
Sliced mushrooms
Green onions
Black olives, sliced
Fresh tomatoes, diced
Chicken pieces
Avocado

Lettuce
Apple cider vinegar
Salt

Heat a large cast iron frying pan to medium high heat. Add a small amount of oil, about a teaspoon and spread around the bottom of the pan with a spatula (you could use butter as well). Take one large flour tortilla and place it in the pan. Flip the tortilla over a few times, 10 seconds between flips. When pockets of air begin to form within the tortilla, take a handful of grated cheese, sprinkle over the top of the tortilla, making sure that the cheese does not land on the pan itself. Add whatever additional ingredients you choose - green onion, sliced mushrooms, olives, tomatoes, etc. If you would like your quesadilla to be a chicken quesadilla, add some diced cooked chicken. Take care not to layer on the ingredients to thickly - this is a quesadilla, not a quiche.

Reduce the heat to low and cover the pan. The cast iron pan should be hot enough by now to have plenty of residual heat to melt the cheese and brown the tortilla. If the quesadilla begins to smoke too much, remove from the heat. After a minute, check to see if the cheese is melted. If not, return the cover and keep checking every minute until the cheese is melted. When the cheese is sufficiently melted, use a spatula to lift up one side of the quesadilla and flip over the other side, as if you were making an omelette. The tortilla should by now be browned slightly. If it is not browned, turn the heat up to high and flip the quesadilla over every 10 seconds or so until it gets browned. Remove from pan and cut into wedges.

To make the lettuce to accompany the quesadilla, thinly slice some iceberg lettuce. Sprinkle some cider vinegar on it and some salt.

"Morty

Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2006 at 10:47

It looks very good Morty, but i think i won't cook it pretty nice as in the pic. I think i have to do it multiple times.

morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2006 at 16:45
This past May I attended the New Orleans Heritage Jazzfest and, as usual, all I did was eat! I love creole/cajun food and I loved the crawfish etouffee. Here's the recipe:

Crawfish Etouffee

INGREDIENTS:

4 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup butter
2 bunches green onion, chopped
1 large onion, diced
1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 pound crawfish, peeled
1 teaspoon tomato paste
1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon water

DIRECTIONS:
Heat oil and butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Stir in onion, green onion, green pepper and celery; cook until transparent. Mix in crawfish and tomato paste; cook for 10 minutes.
Pour chicken broth into skillet. In a small bowl, dissolve cornstarch in water. Stir dissolved cornstarch into crawfish mixture and cook until thickened, about 35 minutes. Serve over a bed of white rice or even over pasta.

Goes great with a fine cabernet! Enjoy!
"Morty

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2006 at 19:43
This season I grew white Eggplant for the first time. Never having had experience with it, are there any recipes specifically for White Eggplant.  Also is there any special way to prepare them, I've picked two of medium size and they seem awfully "seedy"?
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2006 at 15:35
Originally posted by red clay

This season I grew white Eggplant for the first time. Never having had experience with it, are there any recipes specifically for White Eggplant. Also is there any special way to prepare them, I've picked two of medium size and they seem awfully "seedy"?

Red Clay...did you know that white Eggplant is also known as the "Apple of Love"? They are prepared just like a regular Eggplant. Here's a recipe for eggplant parmesan.

Eggplant Parmesan
1 lg. eggplant (white or regular)
1/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 lb. Mozzarella cheese, sliced
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/4 c. dry white wine
1 c. cracker crumbs
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 c. olive oil
2 c. canned tomato sauce
2 tbsp. minced parsley
1/4 tsp. basil
1/4 tsp. oregano
1 bay leaf, crumbled
1 tsp. salt

Pare eggplant(white or regular) and cut crosswise into 1/4" slices. Beat egg with wine. Dip eggplant slices into egg and wine, then dip them in cracker crumbs. Saute garlic in oil for 5 minutes. Add eggplant and saute for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove eggplant and keep hot. Add tomato sauce, parsley, basil, oregano, bay leaf and salt to oil remaining in skillet and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
Arrange alternate slices of eggplant, Parmesan, and Mozzarella cheese and sauce in a casserole. Top with Mozzarella cheese. Bake in a moderate oven for 30 minutes. Serves 6

Enjoy!

Edited by morticia - 04-Aug-2006 at 15:36
"Morty

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2006 at 11:02
I rented me a book on East European (includes central Europe and the Balkans), so that should keep me going for a while. SOme of the Bulgarian casseroles look interesting.

I'm sure Mila will be pleased to know that Bosnia doesn't get mentioned, instead its just general "Eastern Adriatic" LOL

Arrrgh!!"
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2006 at 13:00
I'm back !
i want to share with u guys my favourite dish...

Garoupa Steamed!!! garoupa is kerapu in malay

Last two weeks i spent 3 days in Island.. so we (me and some frens) went for fishing... we cought 2.. 0.8Kg - 1.0kg Garoupas.. not me.. my fren did..

The first garoupa my fren's caught

the second garoupa.. lol

garoupa steamed.. yummy!!!

STEAMED GAROUPA

Preparation time: 10 min
Cooking time: 10 min
Serves 4-6

INGREDIENT

1 Garoupa - 1 lb/750 g
2 dried Chinese mushrooms (soaked till soft and cut in strips)
1 tbsp shredded ginger
1 red chili (cut in strips)
1 stalk spring onion (cut into 1 in/2.5 cm strips)

SEASONING INGREDIENTS

1 tsp salt
1 tsp light Soya sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp MSG (optional)
1 tsp tapioca flour
Juice of 1 small lime

COOKING INSTRUCTION

1. Scale and clean fish.
2. Rub seasoning ingredients over fish. Let it stand for 30 minutes.
3. Arrange mushrooms, ginger, chili and spring onions on fish.
4. Steam for about 10-15 minutes. Serve hot.

P/S: other than garoupa u can use seabass or siakap in Malay for steaming style... taste great..

morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2006 at 11:53
Hi Cahaya! That looks very much like a "grouper" fish in my country, which are very tasty. That's a very nice sized one that your friend caught. Great recipe - I'll try it for sure! I especially like the red chili and ginger included in your recipe. Thanks!     
"Morty

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2006 at 13:03
U are most welcome Morty EmbarrassedLOL
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2006 at 16:39

Do you have and easy recipe for Ayam Betawi?

It seems to be obscure (but i swear i ate some for lunch), maybe it goes by other names?
Arrrgh!!"
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2006 at 11:05
Ayam Betawi.. is it indonesian food? do u have a pic? coz sometimes in indonesian lang the names differ from us...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>