Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Favourite Period of Byzantine History

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Poll Question: Which do you like most?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [1.56%]
14 [21.88%]
30 [46.88%]
8 [12.50%]
2 [3.13%]
9 [14.06%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Athanasios View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Athanasios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favourite Period of Byzantine History
    Posted: 29-Jan-2007 at 09:56
Although the peak of the byzantine empire was through the Macedonian dynasty's era, Justinian's era has some very interesting incidentes and is pleasant like Ancient Rome or Ancient Greek history.The truth is that after Sassanid empire lots of "evil" foes surrounded the empire and the fihgt of its existance started. So ,after Heraclius, Byzantine history becomes more specific you know, because of the territorial shrink (loss of Northern Africa and N.Italy and S.Spain) we now talk about Grecko_Roman Empire , not the continuation of the "Global"Roman Empire.I think that this is the reason that not many westerners are interested to learn about Byzantine Empire,nor Greeks but this is for other reasonsUnhappy.
I don't think that Bulgaro-Byzantine conflicts affected that much the western civilization nor the wars with turks, arabs and normans.There wasn't any speciefic battle (except the  2victories against Arabs in 8th century)that is noteable from westerners.
Eventhough Byzantium was the main frontier of christianity and Europe....

Praetor View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Quote Praetor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2006 at 05:03
Originally posted by Knights

Me personally, I think that the 476AD-640AD period in Byzantine history is very fascinating, and possibly my favourite. The campaigns of Narses and Belisarius are very interesting, but not to be outdone later on in this period by the antics of Heraclius (namely his Sassanian Wars). Various legal, civil and economic achievements also take my interest, such as the rebuilding of the Hagia Sophia under Justinian I in the 530's and the revision of the ancient roman law code, the corpus juris civilis. Thumbs Up
The era of Basil II is probably equally favourable to me - because of the fact that the Byzantines were probably at their peak under his rule - however I can only vote for one period Disapprove

I completely agreeThumbs Up the reign of Justinian is probably (in my opinion) the most interesting in Byzantine History (and that's saying something) so many interesting events/personalities are crammed into his reign such as the Nika Riot, Empress Theodora, Belisarius and Smugling silk! Then there's the epic struggle between the Byzantine and Sassanid empires, culminating in the brilliant campaigns of Heraclius. my second choice would be the time of the Byzantine counter-offensive and apogee under such emperors as Nicephorus Phocas II ("pale death of the saracens"), John Tzimisces and Basil the II (Bulgar slayer) a great deal of military campaigns, political intrigues and Constantinople at its true peakCool. In other words I agree completely with Knights but just wanted to share my opinion and and the reasons why this is so.
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2006 at 08:35
Me personally, I think that the 476AD-640AD period in Byzantine history is very fascinating, and possibly my favourite. The campaigns of Narses and Belisarius are very interesting, but not to be outdone later on in this period by the antics of Heraclius (namely his Sassanian Wars). Various legal, civil and economic achievements also take my interest, such as the rebuilding of the Hagia Sophia under Justinian I in the 530's and the revision of the ancient roman law code, the corpus juris civilis. Thumbs Up
The era of Basil II is probably equally favourable to me - because of the fact that the Byzantines were probably at their peak under his rule - however I can only vote for one period Disapprove

Edited by Knights - 25-Oct-2006 at 08:44
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2006 at 14:12
Well of course I had to vote for the age of Justinian (476-640), although I gave serious thought about voting for the 640-1071 period the rise of Islam or the glory days of the Komnenus dynasty 1071-1185.
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2006 at 06:24
I voted for 476-640...For Byzantines had kind of an unmatched and uncontested glory especially in time of Justinian..
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Preobrazhenskoe View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Preobrazhenskoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2006 at 00:32
I chose the second era. Come on people! The reigns of Justinian the Great and Maurice! It just can't be beat. Lol.

Eric 
vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2006 at 12:31
Khan Ortumag also helped emperor Micheal defeat rebel Thomas the Slav's army which seriously threatened the stability of the empire with the greatest insurrection of its history around the late 800's.
The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2006 at 08:16
Originally posted by Red_Lord

As a bulgar my favourite periods are when Byzantia is not so strong(then we were strong).But I think 717-718 and common defence of Constantinopol(agains islamic armies of arabians) is a great part from our and Byzantine history.Smile

You do have to give the Bulgars credit for assisting the Byzantines in that conflict, it was a smart move which ensured their own survival for centuries to come. Infact, this is one event where the Bulgars helped achieve one of the most decisive victories in world history.
Red_Lord View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Red_Lord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2006 at 08:04
Originally posted by Herschel

"The Fall of Constantinople, 1453" by Steven Runciman, but it goes into great military detail and it is oh-so gripping.

The book is really god but there is only or 3 or 4 maps(I have read it long time before)And without good map it is really difficult to understand military operations.But YES the book is very good.
"The slave is fighting for freedom,free is fighting for perfectness"
Yane Sandanski
Red_Lord View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Red_Lord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2006 at 07:55
As a bulgar my favourite periods are when Byzantia is not so strong(then we were strong).But I think 717-718 and common defence of Constantinopol(agains islamic armies of arabians) is a great part from our and Byzantine history.Smile

Edited by Red_Lord - 06-Sep-2006 at 07:59
"The slave is fighting for freedom,free is fighting for perfectness"
Yane Sandanski
Jazz View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Jazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2006 at 16:39
Originally posted by BlindOne

Not big changes, i can easily understant a Byzantine text.

Really?  That close?

Ok, I took a picture of some Greek inscriptions on the Sea Walls in Istanbul (near the location of the former Buceleon Palace).  It might only be a sentence fragment, and it probably is from the early "Byzantine" era, but I'll find it and upload it for you (or anyone else) to translate.

Edited by Jazz - 28-Aug-2006 at 16:41
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2006 at 05:21
Spoken byzantine greek is very similar to modern greek (in fact it is considered that the modern greek language took its form in the 9th century).

Written byzantine greek is different, as byz emperor said, byzantine authors try to immitate the classical greek language.

Defeat allows no explanation
Victory needs none.
It insults the dead when you treat life carelessly.
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2006 at 01:13
Originally posted by vulkan02

Ok i went to Barnes and Noble today and i found A short History of Byzantium by Norwich which essentially is a summary of his previous three volume work written by the same author. I didn't want to get too into it right away so I got this. I think its about 300 pages total, hopefully it goes into detail summarizing military campaigns as well because i find that more exciting rather than just detailing plain everyday history.

I agree with Herschel about Norwich's book(s).  He is good to start out with a general, non-scholarly introduction on the cultural and social history of Byzantium, with a little politics and military action thrown in.

For informative surveys of Byzantine history, go with Ostrogorsky and Treadgold.  For military, stick with Treadgold's army book, Haldon, and Bartusis.  All of these titles are available on Amazon.com and B&N.com.

How close is Modern Greek to Medieval Greek? If someone were to learn the Greek language, would it help them in reading ancient Byzantine texts?

Like BlindOne said, it is close in ways.  I have heard this from Greek speakers as well.  I do not know Modern Greek.  My background is purely classical Greek - Plato, Xenophon, Herodotus, etc.  Once I started on the Byzantine Greek histories, it was not that bad at all.  Most Byzantine authors emulate and outright copy the great Attic Greek authors, especially Thucydides. 

With Byzantine documentary sources, it is slightly different.  The language is much more formulaic and sometimes closer to demotic Greek.  The strictly classical interpretations and definitions of words, as well as the grammar, becomes less specific and more generalized.  For instance, there seemingly hundreds of ways to translate prepositions like kata, meta, and dia.

Herschel View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Herschel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2006 at 00:42
Hmmm....The book doesn't really go into great detail about military campaigns. His writing style is great at condensing the big picture into managable bites, but he usually focuses on the political and religious environment of the empire. I don't know if you've read "The Fall of Constantinople, 1453" by Steven Runciman, but it goes into great military detail and it is oh-so gripping.
vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2006 at 23:07
Ok i went to Barnes and Noble today and i found A short History of Byzantium by Norwich which essentially is a summary of his previous three volume work written by the same author. I didn't want to get too into it right away so I got this. I think its about 300 pages total, hopefully it goes into detail summarizing military campaigns as well because i find that more exciting rather than just detailing plain everyday history.
BlindOne View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote BlindOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2006 at 15:52

How close is Modern Greek to Medieval Greek? If someone were to learn the Greek language, would it help them in reading ancient Byzantine texts?

Not big changes, i can easily understant a Byzantine text.
That I am stricken and can't let you go
When the heart is cold, there's no hope, and we know
That I am crippled by all that you've done
Into the abyss, will I run

Herschel View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Herschel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2006 at 14:44
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2006 at 13:40
Originally posted by vulkan02

To Byz. emperor, I find John Haldon's book very appealing from the title it has. What do you suggest?

Yes, it is a good place to start for the military history of the period.  Use Ostrogorsky or Treadgold to supplement it, for the political history.

Originally posted by rider

No primary Byzantine authors? I am disappointed in you; I would have thought that the Alexiad and Chronographies would be the first to read.

Translations of the primary sources are okay, but it is more fun to read them in the Greek!  Wink

vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2006 at 12:15
Unfortunately its very hard for me to read on the computer and I always fight with my brother for its use hehe. Ill probably choose one from the list that Byz. emperor provided but thanks for taking your time trying to make me jump the bandwagon Wink.
To Byz. emperor, I find John Haldon's book very appealing from the title it has. What do you suggest?

Edited by vulkan02 - 20-Aug-2006 at 12:19
Nestorian View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Nestorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2006 at 09:05
Definitely 640 - 1071, provide a good lesson in how to survive against the odds.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>