Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Favourite Period of Byzantine History

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Poll Question: Which do you like most?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [1.56%]
14 [21.88%]
30 [46.88%]
8 [12.50%]
2 [3.13%]
9 [14.06%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favourite Period of Byzantine History
    Posted: 08-Feb-2006 at 18:20
Just out of curiosity I want to see which period of Byzantine history each of our Byz nuts like or find most interesting. i will reveal my choice later. Have fun.
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2006 at 20:24
i vote for 640 - 1071. It was the time when Byzantium was true superpower of age expecialy in the 10th and 11th century. In this timeframe we can see constant rebirth(from 9th century) of orthodox Roman Empire. It reached its heights during reign of Basil The Bulgarslayer. Only medieval state which population we can describe as nation.
RomiosArktos View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote RomiosArktos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2006 at 20:57
I agree.The old good time!
Thracian View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Thracian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2006 at 02:24
Well, Bulgaria was also a state nation
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2006 at 02:46
1071-1185, the Age of the Komnenoi.
poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2006 at 02:55

Originally posted by Komnenos

1071-1185, the Age of the Komnenoi.

As expected

AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2006 at 07:47

An impossibily hard question to answer, I can think of atleast 4 periods of Byzantine history that I love, Justinians reconquests, the reign of Heraclius, the height of the empire under the great warrior emperors ending in Basil II and the revival under the brave Comnemi.

All 4 end on a sad note, the inevitable decline after Justinian, the rise of Islam under Heraclius, the succession of the Bulger-Slayer and the Comnemis failure despite their best efforts.

I think the choices are to broad to choose from easily, as Iconoclasm is to me the most boring part of the empires history by far yet it is in the band which includes John I,  Basil II etc.

I'll choose the Comnemi for now, but being far from my final decision, i'll have to consider this for some time.

A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
BlindOne View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote BlindOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2006 at 15:14

Really hard to choose. I have the same problem with Heraclius here

- Justinians time with the great buildingship and reconquest (the amazing general belisarius)

-The heraclius time with the first crusade  (against the persians) and the Thematic systen

-The apogium with Basil

-Or the brilliant leadership of Comneni (i really believe that if any of them was in power in 1204, constantinumple wouldn't fall, or should i say never been sieged?)

-Or the heroic effords of the last emperors and the heroic last stant?

Can't desite sorry .

That I am stricken and can't let you go
When the heart is cold, there's no hope, and we know
That I am crippled by all that you've done
Into the abyss, will I run

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2006 at 15:20
I love all of Byzantine history because it is my ancestral heritage but 1453 and the period leading up to the fall of Constantinople are closet to my heart.
Movie- As long as it was done as historically accurate as possible I would love to see an epic movie made about the fall of constantinople in 1453 to the Turks.
It should be historically accurate but at the same time they should not make the Turks look like total savages.

Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2006 at 20:06

Constantine XI, thanks for including 1461 (fall of Trebizond) as the last year of the late period!

I love all periods of Byzantine history.  But the late period (1204-1461) is by far my most favorite.  Specifically I like to study the late Byzantine army, in terms of its composition and armament, and the Orthodox Church (particularly the unionist councils of Lyons and Florence).

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2006 at 04:52
 476 - 640...especially during the age of Justinian when he tried to reconquer the lost Western Roman lands....during that time Constantinople is the most powerful city in the world. Well it really falls on 1461 since Trebizond is the LAST Byzantine city to fall...Byzantine civilization is truly the bridge form medieval to modern world....If there is a scholarship studies for Byzantine studies, I gonna grab it!!
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2006 at 05:28

Still no closer to making my final decision, but I have been thinking about all the false dawns Byzantium had in regard to reclaiming its past glory.

Justinian, he had reconquered much of the western empire, but the empire was doomed to decline after his death, losing much of what he had regained, his heir was always going to be less able to deal with the problems the empire faced.

Heraclius, defeated Persia for the last time and it seemed that after centuries of the Roman and Persian empires fighting had come to an end and Byzantium was top. Only for this victory to horribly coincide with the rise of a new power in the Arabs. Byzantium would struggle and barely survive, losing much territory it would never again reclaim.

Basil II, brought the empire to its apogee of power, destroying the Bulgars as a threat and ushering in it seemed an even more prosperous and brighter future than had gone before. But with no son of his own, the throne passed to his brother Constantine and so began the decline yet again.

Then the Comnemi, left to pick up the pieces from Manzikert and decades of mis-management since the death of the Bulgar-Slayer. After 99 years of Comnemi control, a period characterised by astonishing diplomatic feats and military success, of reconquest and repairing Byzantiums battered reputation. They came close, but I guess if after just shy of a century of good leadership and strength, an empire is still a mess then nothing short of a miracle would save it.

Everytime the empire seemed to be about to move onto a new level of dominance, power and stability, a new threat or new calamity struck the empire knocking it back decades. All 4 of the periods I like most, all end on really sad notes.

Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2006 at 09:34
My vote for the Heroic Time (640-1071) I like study the dark ages of the Islam's rise, the succes of Leo III, the iconoclastian time, the Thematic system rise and fall, the macedonians, the fight in southern Italy, the...  If we need a few times, the first half of the VIII century and the second half of the X century with Nicephorus Focs and John Tzimisces; i don't like specially the Basil II reign.

But many other times i love: specially Justinian-Mauritius-Heraclius, very very interesting equal or more than the HT although only last one century; and the final stage, one of my favourite moment in all the history is when the emperor go the doors of the walls against the enemy and dissapear in the middle of the combat. Absolutelly wonderful.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2006 at 11:35

Originally posted by Ikki

and the final stage, one of my favourite moment in all the history is when the emperor go the doors of the walls against the enemy and dissapear in the middle of the combat. Absolutelly wonderful.

Ikki, I see that you are from Spain.  Have you ever heard about the Castilian adventurer Don Francisco de Toledo, who fought at the siege of Constantinople in 1453?  He came all the way from Spain with some ships full of grain for the defenders.  He claimed that he was a long-lost cousin of the emperor Constantine XI Palaiologos and died fighting by the emperor's side at the St. Romanos Gate breach.

Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2006 at 12:23

^^^

I have heard of a Castilian presence (or mistakenly referred to as Catalans) in 1453, but so many descriptions of the siege don't mention it I thought it was a mistake.

It's incredible that he would travel so far for a lost cause, had he been somebody merely pretending to be related to the Emperor or pretending he cared about what was going on, surely he wouldnt have died for it.

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2006 at 12:32
Originally posted by Heraclius

^^^

I have heard of a Castilian presence (or mistakenly referred to as Catalans) in 1453, but so many descriptions of the siege don't mention it I thought it was a mistake.

It's incredible that he would travel so far for a lost cause, had he been somebody merely pretending to be related to the Emperor or pretending he cared about what was going on, surely he wouldnt have died for it.

Yeah, it is quite interesting.  Unlike Giustiniani Longo, the Genoese noble who brought 700 heavily armed soldiers with him, de Toledo did not bring any soldiers with him and Castile did not have a large community at Constantinople to guard (and Genoa did), like you mentioned.  To me he seems like a "Don Quixote" type; a little nutty in the head but quite brave and adventerous!

Edited by Byzantine Emperor
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2006 at 13:00
Just out of curiosity: what's with the Other choice? I mean, the other periods cover all of Byzantine history...
What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2006 at 13:31

Originally posted by Decebal

Just out of curiosity: what's with the Other choice? I mean, the other periods cover all of Byzantine history...

I guess "Other" is giving you the option to specify a band of time not included in the list, e.g from 640 to 800 for example, instead of 640 to 1071.

I think the bands are to broad to give much of a definative answer, so other is a chance to specify a period of time you like most.

Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2006 at 19:36

Originally posted by Decebal

I have been a bit arbitrary in dividing the Byzantine period into different eras. For instance, you could subdivide the 640-1081 period into 640-867 (Heraclian post-Arab conquest period to end of Amorian dynasty) and 867-1081 (Macedonian dynasty and Psellus' Chronographia Emperors). Or you could even subdivide those periods further.

Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2006 at 19:45

My favourite period, predictably, is the 640-1081 period. I see this age as one of desperate struggle by Byzantium against immense odds, from which she managed incredible triumphs which set an example to the barbarised West of what was still possible. The Emperors in this period were some of the best in the whole history of Byzantium. I will leave you to judge which ones you like, though.

This period saw Byzantium throw off most of her anachronistic features to reinvent herself as a wealthy, powerful and viable state. Thematic organisation was at its peak, while most of Europe groaned under aristocracy it was a remarkably modern bureaucracy which ran Byzantium, military science was some of the finest in the world and the later part of this era saw an intellectual flowering the world could look up to. It is a period of triumph against severe odds, which makes it so appealing.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>