Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nations, nation-states and nationalism.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
benzs_s View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote benzs_s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nations, nation-states and nationalism.
    Posted: 04-Mar-2006 at 02:42
In the 20th century we saw the full force of what we know as 'nationalism'; highly-organised attempts by an elite to dupe a mass of people into fighting, working or otherwise for their country. However, this begs the question, 'what is a nation?' How is it classified and when did the concept really come into being?

[I should point out at this point, that many people, myself included, believe that there was no real concept of 'nation' before the early-modern period, due to a vast array of factors and historical phenomena. But that really deserves a topic in its own right, so I won't discuss it here, even though the topic will probably come up if anybody decides to reply to this thread ]

In contemporary society we are surrounded by so-called nation-states, so let's begin with what a 'state' is; fairly simple really, a state is territorially limited and has within it an infrastructure which pervades the existence of the people within it. It is important to note, then, that, in theory, one can have a 'state' without a 'nation' (whatever a nation is defined as), but this is virtually never the case, the only exception really being the Vatican City, which is a state filled with Italian nationals... so, really, this isn't an exception at all, it's just a sovereign state made up of the Italian nation, but I'm sure you see my point here.

However, a state can contain multiple nations. Take Canada, with its English-speaking and French-speaking peoples, or the United Kingdom, which contains four nations under the banner of a single-state. Conversely, one can be a nation without having a state, like the Palestinians who, of course, have no officially recognised (that is to say, according to the earlier definition of state) state but clearly there is a unique nation in existence.

So what, then, is a nation? A simple definition would appear to be that of a people unified by some common characteristic. But what are these characteristics? Language surely cannot count as a basis of describing a nation, otherwise the UK and the USA would be part of the same nation (which inherently is not the case), and, closer to home for me, Wales would not be seen as a distinct nation from the rest of the United Kingdom (Wales has two official languages, each of which is spoken to different extents depending on the location). So, having ruled language out, what about history or other elements thereof? This is probably the most clear indication of what makes a nation what it is; again, I use the United Kingdom as an example of this, where the English and the Scottish have a clear national difference due to the fact that for the better part of the 13th to 15th centuries, the two countries were at war. This not only makes the two peoples different, but also defines the people within the particular self-defined 'state'. However, this doesn't apply completely; take Italy, which was formed in the late 19th century from a series of disparate and, one might say, distinct city-states. In the early 20th century a variety of liberal Italian governments had huge difficulty spurring the Italians into being patriotic and loving their country, particularly those from the south of Italy and Sicily who didn't believe they were part of the same country as the rest (there was even a revolt by a Sicilian to prove this point), and the government had to resort to invading various other countries to try to improve nationalism through war. Even under Mussolini patriotism wasn't exactly at its height. So, Italy had a state, but did it really have a nation, despite the fact that the people were, on the whole, in the same history (Romans, Gaulish invasion, Renaissance etc)? What exactly was missing in the early years of the nation-state's formation?

So here I am, still struggling to define 'nation'; one thing I do know, however, is that nationalism cannot exist without a 'nation', so the earlier model I described would apply to the colonial states of the 18th and 19th centuries (such as the United States which, despite not being a 'state' before the War of Independence, probably was its own distinct nation as the people shared a common background etc, hence the nationalism), but, really, defining 'nation' is tough, even though we throw the word around nonchalantly in every-day speech.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2006 at 05:46

...the English and the Scottish have a clear national difference due to the fact that for the better part of the 13th to 15th centuries, the two countries were at war.

You're right it's tough defining 'nation' but it doesn't help when you confuse the issue with terms like 'country' which is different again. the wars between Scotland and England were dynastic wars for territory rather than wars between 'nations' or 'states'.

In fact Scotland has always incorporated at least two nations: the English-speaking, Anglo-Saxon-descended Lowlanders and the Gaelic-speaking, British or earlier, Highlanders

...many people, myself included, believe that there was no real concept of 'nation' before the early-modern period

Then what did the Greeks see themselves as? They certainly saw Greeks, no matter from what city or 'state' as distinct from the barbarians outside. Same goes for the Chinese. And the Jews. And lots of others.

If you're analysing the concept of the 'nation-state' then I think you have to restrict yourself to the concept of 'nation' as it is generally used in the phrase 'nation-state'. That I think refers to a situation in which all the members ('citizens') of a independent state see themselves as sharing a common heritage and, in effect, an extended family relationship.

Much of the early modern period was spent (in Europe anyway) bolstering the concept that the members of each political grouping belonged to the same 'nation'. But that's a matter of propagandising and acculturation more than one of objective racial classification.

Many advocates of 'nation-states' later extended it to the political goal of combining various people all seeing themselve as so sharing into one state, so that all the peoples of one 'nation' were united in one 'state'. Again that usually meant a barrage of propaganda to try and convince them of that identity.

(This reply is a bit muddled. I guess I lack clear definitions here as much as anybody.)

benzs_s View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote benzs_s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2006 at 07:22
Originally posted by gcle2003

...the wars between Scotland and England were dynastic wars for territory rather than wars between 'nations' or 'states'.

Yes, they were, I was just citing one example of why people in each country/province, or whatever, might consider themselves to be of a different nationality. Obviously there are other differences, such as those you listed, but the fact remains that the Scots and English will consider themselves to be of different nationalities.

Then what did the Greeks see themselves as? They certainly saw Greeks, no matter from what city or 'state' as distinct from the barbarians outside. Same goes for the Chinese. And the Jews. And lots of others.

As far as the Greeks go, yeah they considered themselves to be Greek, sharing a common language and religion, but the Peloponnesian War can highlight to some extent the differences in approach of the different city-states and, therefore, could point towards the lack of a definitive 'nation' status.

Many advocates of 'nation-states' later extended it to the political goal of combining various people all seeing themselve as so sharing into one state, so that all the peoples of one 'nation' were united in one 'state'. Again that usually meant a barrage of propaganda to try and convince them of that identity.

This is a good point and, again, can be related to language; the development of the printing press would have standardised language within states with the appropriate infrastructure, thus drawing the people closer to become more of a unit. How many people in England/France/Spain, or any other country, do you think spoke the same language? As with the example I gave with Italy, which even in the 19th century had vastly different dialectal forms of the same language which could have been construed as entirely distinct linguistically, it's not as if regards language people in medieval societies or before actually considered themselves to be part of a wider 'nation'... in relation to, say, a member of a parish. And, nor was any government really at liberty technologically to tell its people that they belonged to this one distinct 'nation'.

My knowledge of extra-European history is woeful, so any examples or case studies which could redress this balance would be appreciated!

Edited by benzs_s
Beylerbeyi View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2006 at 08:22

I agree that there were no nations before modernity. Ancient Greeks, Chinese etc. were not nations in the modern sense. They were relatively coherent ethnic groups, but that's not enough to be a nation. Nation, above all, is a political concept.

One problem in defining the nation arises from the two different philosophies on the nature of nation, I believe. Namely, the civic nation ideal and the ethno-cultural nation ideal. The civic nation ideal emphasises political allegience and common ideals as the basis of nation. Originates from France, and prime example is USA, for obvious reasons. Ethno-cultural nation ideal emphasises common ethnicity, language, culture and history as the basis of nation. Originates from the German romantic-volkisch tradition, I guess.

However, we should keep in mind that it is the state which creates the nation, not vice versa. Even Mussolini said the same thing. It is important that which model a state (basically the sum of institutions who run the infrastructure in a given territory) adopted at the point of creating its nation, or which model the state uses to perpetuate the national sentiment.

mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2006 at 09:33
I think the notion of a "nation" rose during the French revolution.

A "nation" being an entity where each citizen has its duty for his nation. In the case of the French Revolution every citizen had to bear arms to support the Republic. Before the revolution as benzs_s had pointed out the war were between clans/families/dynasties for land, especially in mainland Europe.

States of Italy and Germany were early cases of Nationalist movements, which in the end unified the both countries (the movements accelerated by Napoleon, when he swept aside 100 or so small Germanic kingdoms).

It was the same trend in the Balkans, Serbian nationalism against Austria-Hungary and Bulgarian nationalism the Ottoman Empire.

So maybe a "nation" has the same concept as a "republic"?

thats my take, heh...

Edited by mamikon
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2006 at 11:26
I disagree: nations are self-identified communities, normally united by language (and other customs). Nations have existed always and they have been able to identify themselves as such - examples: Greeks made a clear distinction between Hellens and Barbarians, Basques did (and do) the same distinction between Euskaldunak (Basque speakers) and Erdeldunak (speakers of any other language). Cherokees or Egyptians were also perfectly able to identify their nations without doubt, as were Hebrews or Irish.

This did not mean that nation and state were a single thing and that one could not be at war with connationals or allied with foreigners. The motherland in reference to which treason and heroism was measured wasn't always the nation but the tribe or the state.

But nations have existed always, what is diferent of equating them to the state. It is this: the asociation of nation and state what becomes strong in the 19th century (Romanticism). Nevertheless, many states had before been organized along national lines: Vasconia (and later Pamplona-Navarre) is a clear example of early nation-state... but there are many others that equate the state to a dominant nation/ethnicity: England, Germany (there was formally a Kingdom of Germany, associated to the Empire), France (after the crusade against the Cathars and specially since the Hundred Years' War), Hungary, Poland, Serbia, Bulgaria, Byzantium (Greek nation), Russia, Denmark, Sweden, Islam (Arabian nation), Persia, Portugal, etc.

That the nation-state has not been the ideal nor the dominant form it doesn't mean that it did not have existence before the Burgueoise era.  

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2006 at 05:49

Originally posted by mamikon

The concept - and indeed that of the nation-state - was certainly alive in Elizabethan England: "I know I have the body but of a weak and feeble woman; but I have the heart and stomach of a king, and of a king of England too."

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers.
  For he today that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother. Be he ne'er so vile,
  This day shall gentle his condition.
  And gentlemen in England now abed
  Shall think themselves accursed they were not here,
  And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
  That fought with us upon St. Crispin's Day."

may not exactly represent what Henry V and his soldiers felt, but it certainly expresses what Shakespeare and his audiences felt.

(In fact it's arguably part of that "barrage of propaganda" I talked about.

pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2006 at 12:11
Originally posted by gcle2003

Originally posted by mamikon

The concept - and indeed that of the nation-state - was certainly alive in Elizabethan England: "I know I have the body but of a weak and feeble woman; but I have the heart and stomach of a king, and of a king of England too."

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers.
  For he today that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother. Be he ne'er so vile,
  This day shall gentle his condition.
  And gentlemen in England now abed
  Shall think themselves accursed they were not here,
  And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
  That fought with us upon St. Crispin's Day."

may not exactly represent what Henry V and his soldiers felt, but it certainly expresses what Shakespeare and his audiences felt.

(In fact it's arguably part of that "barrage of propaganda" I talked about.

Absolutely true!  Elizabethan theater (OK, theatre) was just as much a propaganda instrument as film during WWII.  And why not?  It kept the "home front" in the wars.

Don't get me wrong, it was not centrally directed, and didn't reach much beyond the right parts of London, but that is where the important opinions were located.  If the good folk of Sandwich had been introduced to cinema, perhaps they would not have kept on trading with the Spanish Netherlands!   

pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2006 at 12:20

Mamikon's point that "nation" dates from the Fr. Rev. is interesting for modern concepts of nationhood.  But as an adjunct to the Elizabethan theatre post, in the same period, (1580s to 1609) and even later, the armies of the Dutch and Spanish tended to segragate Irish, Scots, Germans, Frenchmen (and English) into separate regiments and called those the "nations."

I don't know the etymology in that case, but it was more based on language than anything.  There were Catholic Scots in the Spanish army and Calvinist Scots in the Dutch, etc.

Just an observation.

Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2006 at 13:30

The conceptions of nation were already discussed by 16th century Polish philosofers. Commonwealth of Poland and Lithuania was even called "Republic of two nations". I think that first polish political thinker who touched this problem was Andrzej Frycz Modrzewski who was known in Europe as Andreus Fricius Modrevius.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrzej_Frycz_Modrzewski

"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2006 at 17:23
Lots of people claim that the modern nation-state was born at the peace of Westphalia.

I think the problem lies in how you define a nation, do it differently, and you get different points/times of origin.

Who was it that said nations are forged through the force of arms? Theres a fair amount of truth in that.
Arrrgh!!"
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2006 at 01:35
Originally posted by Cywr

Lots of people claim that the modern nation-state was born at the peace of Westphalia.

What Westfalia did was to end the wars of religion. Without religion to serve as propaganda, leaders needed a new ideal to light the fire in the hearts of their soldiers: that became nation.

But nation had existed before: one could well say that it started with Joan d'Arc, with the Swiss rebellion, with the Etruscan or Hebrew uprisings maybe...

It's not so much weapons what make nations but peoples in arms. Mercenary or Imperial armies can hardly build them.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2006 at 03:41

In fact, what Westphalia brought was the acceptance of the existence of "equal" independent states which were "sovereign" in their domestic affairs.

The process of "being a nation" didn't take place simultaneously all over the world and each process had characteristics of their own. One definite thing is that even if there was a concept of nation before the rise of capitalism, it was much narrower than the modern concept of "nation". The ethnic and linguistic similarity might be the basis for some small nations within a small region like Basques but in general we can not speak of ethnic and linguistic homogenity for larger nations. They are constructed entities. As for England and France, the history of the modern concept of nation may be seen earlier but this is just because they are the central countries.

One of the most important reasons of the formation of nations was thedevelopment of the trade between different cities.  The main aim was the integration of different markets within the boundaries of a state.Another important thing was to encourage the trade by abolishing domestic customs charges between different cities of a state. These developments can be elaborated through the fact that capitalism always has the tendency to "globalise". Though city states - -> nation states --> .... all the world

At the cultural level, as indicated above, press and theaters were of utmost importance. These organs constructed such "common cultural heritage". 

[IMG]http://www.maksimum.com/yemeicme/images/haber/raki.jpg">
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2006 at 06:01
You confuse nation with state. Taxes and all that paraphernlia are things of the state, while language, etc. are what define a nation.

A nation has little to do with a state... only in modern thought the idea of nation-state has been born.

Ancient Greeks were a single nation while they had a plurality of states - you can argue maybe wether Dorians and Jonians were separate nations but you can't pretend that Thebes was a nation on its own right: it was just a polis: a state.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Halevi View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Halevi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2006 at 06:22
Originally posted by Maju

You confuse nation with state. Taxes and all that paraphernlia are things of the state, while language, etc. are what define a nation.

A nation has little to do with a state... only in modern thought the idea of nation-state has been born.

Ancient Greeks were a single nation while they had a plurality of states - you can argue maybe wether Dorians and Jonians were separate nations but you can't pretend that Thebes was a nation on its own right: it was just a polis: a state.

The comeback to that, of course, is that the concept of 'nation' is an anachronism... that it didn't exist prior to the nation-state era.

Since people have always banded in tribal groups, however, this becomes a bit of an etymylogical question.

I know in the Jewish tradition, etc, the 'children of israel' go back quite a while... then again, they're just a bunch of related tribes.

There are words in hebrew that correllate to a 'people' ('am' ... 'uma' ... they come from the same root as the word for mother... [sound familiar, arabic speakers?]) ... these days, they are used to mean 'nation'... but this seems like an anachronistic translation to me.

Anyone have any insight, here?

Edited by Halevi
"Your country ain't your blood. Remember that." -Santino Corelone
Halevi View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Halevi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2006 at 06:25

Ok, here we go... apparently the English word nation has its roots in an old French word first recorded c.1300:

Originally posted by Online Etymology Dictionary

Nation:

c.1300, from O.Fr. nacion, from L. nationem (nom. natio) "nation, stock, race," lit. "that which has been born," from natus, pp. of nasci "be born" (see native). Political sense has gradually taken over from racial meaning "large group of people with common ancestry." Older sense preserved in application to N.Amer. Indian peoples (1650). Nationality "the fact of belonging to a particular nation" is from 1828.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=nation&sear chmode=none

Edited by Halevi
Halevi View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Halevi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2006 at 06:30
Also:

Originally posted by Online Etymology Dictionary

Race:
"people of common descent," c.1500, from M.Fr. razza "race, breed, lineage," possibly from It. razza, of unknown origin (cf. Sp., Port. raza). Original senses in Eng. included "wines with characteristic flavor" (1520), "group of people with common occupation" (c.1500), and "generation" (c.1560). Meaning "tribe, nation, or people regarded as of common stock" is from c.1600. Modern meaning of "one of the great divisions of mankind based on physical peculiarities" is from 1774 (though even among anthropologists there never has been an accepted classification of these). Klein suggests these derive from Arabic ra's "head, beginning, origin" (cf. Heb. rosh). O.E. eode meant both "race" and "language;" as a verb, geeodan, it meant "to unite, to join." Racial is first attested 1862. Race-riot attested from 1890.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=race

Note how, as late as the 1500's, race was still used to mean 'people of a common occupation' or 'generation' (or even to differentiate between wines!) ...

Interesting.

Edited by Halevi
kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2006 at 07:36

Originally posted by Maju

I think you are confusing the concepts of "nation" and "ethnicity".A nation has much to do with state. The states construct their own nations. Even in the Basque example, what makes you a nation in the modern sense is the desire to establish a nation-state of your own. You associate the "freedom" of your nation with an independent nation-state. Because you don't have a nation-state of your own (although you have an autonomous one) you claim that Basques are the slaves of Spain.

As for the trade, taxes, military service for the "nation", etc.  all reflect the development of capitalism, need for easing trade, accumulation of capital, expansion, etc. Replacement of the professional armies with the compulsory military service for the "nation" are all related with the expansion impetus of capitalism; because the capital accumulation has to be endless. This is also the real dynamics under imperialism.  

Edited by kotumeyil
benzs_s View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote benzs_s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2006 at 17:34
So kotumeyil, you would suscribe to the view that nations are constructed, not born?
kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2006 at 17:58
yes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>