Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Definition of a Woman

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Definition of a Woman
    Posted: 28-May-2006 at 15:22
DEFINITION of a woman

The movie Go West was a critically acclaimed blockbuster in Bosnia and Herzegovina. It tells the story of two homosexual men, one Serb (Milan) and one Muslim (Kenan), and their desperate attempt to survive the war in Bosnia and Herzegovina.

The film opens at a peace concert in Sarajevo and in the next scene, Muslim residents of Grbavica are herded onto cattle cars and deported to concentration camps beyond Mount Trebevic. Milan accompanies Kenan during the deporation because he doesn't want to leave him. The train reaches its destination and the men, women, and children are herded inside a small warehouse. Once the soldiers begin separating the men from the women and children, Milan cuts his hair and borrows a veil from a woman crammed against them in the camp. Together they transform Kenan into a Muslim woman. Milan exits the camp, insists he is a Serb and his capture is a mistake, shows his uncircumsized penis as proof, and requests that his woman be allowed to leave with him.

And so the story begins. They spend the rest of the war living behind Serb lines with Kenan trying to hide not only his faith but also his gender. He assumes the name Jelena and reveals his identity only to a few people whom Milan informs him are safe.

Here's a screen capture from a scene where Milan and one of his friends are trying to take a photograph of Kenan (as Jelena) to use for a fake, Serbian identification document.

Anyhow, all of this makes me wonder - what is a woman, really? I don't mean in a physical sense, that's obvious enough, but in a societal sense. There were so many things Kenan had to do, to change, in addition to his appearance. He had to change how he walked, how he greeted other people, how he used the bathroom, how he interacted with other people. He had to be more timid in expressing his views.

In one scene, the Serb lady who had befriended Jelena (she doesn't know he is really Kenan) ridicules two Muslim woman passing by the village after fetching water. "Jelena" protests, modestly. A few scenes later, the Serb woman walks up to the ruins of the mosque in her village and re-arranges the men's, women's, and children's shoes outside. The shoes were left outside when the people inside were shot and the mosque blown up, and she sets them up orderly and evenly in a very long, wordless scene. Why did Kenan's timid nature get through? If he had reacted angrily, as did the real Muslim women being ridiculed, would it have been the same, or could it dismissed as primitive and vulgar?

All of it just makes me think quite a lot. I'm curious, in your opinion, what is a woman? Beyond the physical, describe what a woman is in your society.

Edited by Mila - 28-May-2006 at 20:57
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2006 at 16:02
unfourtunally i think for the past 10 000 years a woman is seen as a subordinate of a man thanks to the plough. because of that specific tool all the work was commited by man so they say. Before the invention of the plough the men hunted and the women getherd food. The men wern't always succesfull almost never so the women were of great importance. But not after the plough was invented. So my history teacher keeps repeating(sexist bas***d)(he flunking me has nothing to do with itBig smile)

Hmm let me see to me a woman is...
I think about my mother Anam(my mother) I think ones mother is the single most important parent a child has.
A mother will love his child uncondisionally( A father I think not)(You don't have the feeling you have to make your mother proud to make her love you but with ones father they do)
there's a saying in turkish "Bir ana yidirir yemez, giydirir giymez......"( I think I got it right)

It means " a mother wil not eat but feed her child, will not wear(clothin) but cloth her chil" basiclly it means a mother allways thinks about her chil first)
(God I love my mother)

secondlly what I wanted to point out is that the woman is the most important natural recouse of our planet.
Education comes from women: If a childs mother is ignorant(don't know if it's the right word) not educated this child will have a disadvantage to other children. If we want to educate the next generation we need to start with the women in ALL countries so they can educate the rest and so on and so on.(get the point)

loving women isn't enough we need to respect them.

Btw ( really hate those extreme feminist b**** who wan't to kick all the men in the nuts(they got probably hurt once) out of revange))

I woman needs to be educated but still soft and warm.

(pls forgive my lack of english)
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2006 at 20:55
Hi,

Mila I have to say I completely disagree with you on one point: it is almost impossible to define a woman physically as it is almost impossible to define a human. Can you? I can't.

Nonetheless, xi tuge's right. First and foremost, women are mumy. If we consider that the very aim of an individual and of a group is to reproduce, the role a woman in society becomes clear. That said, the strategies used by each population may be all through different, also the aim is still the same: keep the matrix working.

M.
I am a free donkey!
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2006 at 00:10
I think women throughout history have been defined as the gender that bears, nurtures and cares for the children and home while the men hunted for food and protected their families. Women have been stereotyped into that role from generation to generation. It's only normal for a mother to encourage her daughter to become a good nurturing mother to her children, and so on and so on. Men could never understand this, because their mothers would not encourage the same to them. Boys are encouraged to become doctors, lawyers, engineers, etc. to sustain and support their families and homes adequately. However, that has begun to change because there are some women today who financially support the household while some men stay at home and care for the children (whether by choice or due to lack of employment).

"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
TURKOGLU_ View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote TURKOGLU_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2006 at 02:26
A very interesting definition Mila.Thanx for the thread.
While in custody,Mr.Koksun Selim jumped out of a small window of a rest room on the 6th floor of Suwon Immigration Control Office last February 27 at around 4 a.m.
MigrantOK Phillipines 2006. 4 No.9
 Post Reply Post Reply