Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Famous Legends Regarding Women

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Famous Legends Regarding Women
    Posted: 29-May-2006 at 19:30
Legend Regarding Amazon Warrior Women

The legend of the Amazon Warrior Women speaks about blond women who terrified their male counterparts in the battlefield and who were violent, and Ancient Greek literature is littered with stories about them. These women were known as experts in horseback riding, and in military techniques. Some scholars have even said that these women were part of the Trojan War. Speculating about the Amazons traditions and accomplishments are observed in the writings of Hippocrates, Homer and Herodotus. The Amazon Tribes were matriarchal (contrary to most societies) and men only performed jobs that were traditionally given to women. Currently, some anthropologists are trying to prove their existence. There are almost no hints or scientific evidence that these women ever existed.

Source: http://tx.essortment.com/amazonswarrior_ryci.htm

Legend Regarding Women Surfers

Etchings of Polynesian women surfers have been captured as early as 1819 by author Mark Twain. There are stories in Hawaiian chants of female surfers riding the waves. This illustrates that women on the islands were surfing alongside the men from the inception of surfing in Hawaii.

The famous legend of a woman named Kelea tells the story of how her surfing attracted the attention of an Oahu chief in Maui, whom, eventually, she marries.

Another legend is of Kaahumanu, the overweight (over 200 lbs) but favorite wife of King Kamehameha I, who, considering her weight, was an expert waverider.

There is also the legend of women surfing the waters in Tahiti, Aotearoa (New Zealand) and Rapa Nui (Easter Island). In fact, the first person to try surfing in Australia was a woman named Isabel Letham. She was the first to ride tandem with Hawaiian legend Duke Kahanamoku.

Source: http://www.coastnews.com/sports/women_surfers/women_surfers.htm#

I love surfing...here's some shots of women surfers.

Ill be writing about other legends as I come across them. In the meanwhile, please share any legends of women that you know of.

Edited by morticia - 29-May-2006 at 19:32
"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2006 at 12:00
1 breasted women launching arrows would sacre anyone. But, on a serious note, I wonder if they could be the Minionan warrior priestesses. The fought bare breasted, could the legend come from there.
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2006 at 13:55
Originally posted by Sparten

1 breasted women launching arrows would sacre anyone. But, on a serious note, I wonder if they could be the Minionan warrior priestesses. The fought bare breasted, could the legend come from there.

Maybe, but there is no "scientific" proof that Amazon warrior women existed at all. There is, however, proof that the Minoan women favored open bodices and flounced skirts, as depicted in the hand painted "frescoes" left behind after the Minoan civilization disappeared during the volcanic destruction of Thera.

Frescoe of Minoan Women

Frescoe of Minoan Woman

Edited by morticia - 30-May-2006 at 13:56
"Morty

Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2006 at 21:49
the second one is actually a man I think (no curles and no boobs)
I am a free donkey!
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2006 at 13:35
Originally posted by Maharbbal

the second one is actually a man I think (no curles and no boobs)

Well, I'm glad to see that someone is on the ball!    You're right Maharbbal - must've copied together with the first one (with curls and boobs)!
"Morty

Post Reply Post Reply