Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Women's rule in the HRE

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Women's rule in the HRE
    Posted: 17-Aug-2006 at 07:30
The end of the Holy Roman Empire in 1806, also brought to the close, a fascinating phenomenon that in this form only could have existed in the HRE.
Up to 1806, and right through the Early Modern period, amongst the over 300 statelets that constituted the HRE, were 10 territories that throughout their existence were  ruled only by women, and by Imperial law could be ruled only by women.
The territories, distributed all over the HRE, were Church domains, lands owned by convents, whose abbess also performed the privileges and duties of a worldly ruler.
The larger of these ecclesiastical domains were proper statelets in their own rights, with their own judicial system and their own currency and with their own, but rather, small armies.
Head of the wordly administration was the abbess, with no other over-lord than the Holy Roman Emperor himself. As rulers, the nuns would have a vote in the Imperial diets, and contribute to the financies or, on occasions, to the defense of the Empire.
The abbesses, in theory, were elected democratically to their position by the nuns of the convents, in practise, the abbesses were mostly the daughters of leading aristocratics families of the HRE, sometimes banished into monasteries, and not always was their conduct such as would be expected of a nun that had devoted her life to the Church.

Alas, the end of the HRE in 1806, ended the independency of all these strange statelets ruled exclusively by women, but now as, at the occasion of the 200th anniversary of the end of the HRE, something of a re-evaluation of its faults and merits happens in Germany, feminine rule is remembered fondly.

Source: "Der Spiegel", 7/8/06

Edited by Komnenos - 17-Aug-2006 at 08:37
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2006 at 08:30
Very interesting. Thanks for telling this, I had never heard of such places before.

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2006 at 12:43
Can anyone explain me why this was moved from the Imperial forum? This belongs there.

EDIT:

To be exact, it belongs here too...

Edited by rider - 17-Aug-2006 at 12:43
Jay. View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jay. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2006 at 16:25
This is the 100th thread in the women's history forum! Congratulations ClapClap

as for the article, thank you, I've never heard of this before...
Samo Sloga Srbina Spasava
Only Unity Can Save the Serb
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2006 at 11:36
Originally posted by Jay.

This is the 100th thread in the women's history forum! Congratulations [IMG]height=17 alt=Clap src="http://www.allempires.com/forum/smileys/smiley32.gif" width=18 align=absMiddle>[IMG]height=17 alt=Clap src="http://www.allempires.com/forum/smileys/smiley32.gif" width=18 align=absMiddle>
as for the article, thank you, I've never heard of this before...

Thanks, Jay....I was unaware of this topic too! I'm going to have to do some research as regards these 10 territories governed by women! I like that! Having been governed by women, I can only assume that they were probably the most peaceful and prosperous territories of its time!   

Edited by morticia - 22-Aug-2006 at 11:36
"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2006 at 12:07
Yes they only nagged each other to death and oblivion.

Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply