Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

dowry: the importance towards women and cultures

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: dowry: the importance towards women and cultures
    Posted: 07-Oct-2006 at 13:01

Dowry is practiced by many cultures, ethnics and religions.. some cultures require women to give dowry and others vice versa.. I believe many topics have discussed on this however, why women deserve the 'previlege' more thn men..?

In Hindu
Dowry (Dahej/Hunda) as we all know is paid in cash or kind by the bride's family to the groom' s family alongwith the giving away of the bride (Kanya-dana). The ritual of Kanya-dana is an essential aspect in Hindu marital rites: Kanya = daughter, dana = gift. A reason for the origin of dowry could perhaps be that the groom and his family had to take up the 'onerous' responsibility of supporting the bride for the rest of her life.

Bride-price on the other hand involves the receipt of presents, in cash or kind, by the bride's family in return for giving away of the bride. Hence bride-price has the character of an exchange.

source: http://www.hindubooks.org/sudheer_birodkar/hindu_history/practices1.html

In Chinese Society

Several days after the presentation of the betrothal gifts, the girls family sent porters with an inventoried dowry to the boys house. The dowry consisted of practical items, including a chamber pot, filled for the occasion with fruit and strings of coins. This procession gave the girls family the opportunity to display both their social status and their love for their daughter, and wealthy parents often included serving girls to attend their daughter in her new home.

source http://www.chcp.org/wedding.html

giani_82 View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Online Status: Offline
  Quote giani_82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2006 at 07:33
In Japan where rites are up to perfection we can see several kinds of women - one being taught to calculate the financial status of the family since sanurai-s for centuries yeailed only war; another for entertaining - geisha - appearing nearly at the end of the War between the three greats Oda Nobunaga, Taiko, and Tokugawa Ieyasu (and as of modern day is still known as a state of the art); and of course some become servants in the end. The poor villager could afford only one, as for a great daymio there was a vast choice, disreguarding the provinces, the distances, or the price.
Of course in China they insisted that two women under one root meant trouble, but in the good old fashion Indo Europeic tradition the Mother of the Earth was always of an important status.
Though I still can't figure out how the hebrews chose the wives for their sons?!?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising everytime we fall."
Confucius
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2006 at 07:39
In medieval Europe the practice of giving or receiving gifts along with a marriage went through an interesting revolution. In the early middle ages, the husband's family had to pay the family of the wife a "morgengarbe" (It's German, I hope I spelt that right) or in English a morning gift. The implication here was that the female was so economically valuable, that her loss to another family was large enough to justify paying the wife's family compensation.

As the middle ages progressed, the exchange was reversed. Particularly in wealthy families, the morning gift was discarded and replaced with the dowry. Women increasingly came to be seen less as an economic asset and more an economic liability.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2006 at 16:40
"Women increasingly came to be seen less as an economic asset and more an economic liability."

a liability? how come u judge ur wife as a liability?
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2006 at 17:23
Originally posted by cahaya

"Women increasingly came to be seen less as an economic asset and more an economic liability."

a liability? how come u judge ur wife as a liability?

I think wealthy medieval people came to see women more as a liability because such women needed to be supported, while it was not customary to expect such women to contribute economically. Peasant and burger women could be expected to engage in labour, but it would be considered a disgrace for some wealthy women to engage in manual labour. Of course, I am generalising here.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2006 at 17:33
I understand ur point.. but in my place a wife is an asset cos she does contribute to family income.. work together as the husband to ensure her family get the best thing they can have.. I guess most of women in SE Asian region should be an asset to their husbands... 
Vivek Sharma View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2006 at 01:34
In India the patriarchial societies give dowry to the groom's family, while in the matriacchial societies the groom's family gives dowry to the bride's family.
PATTON NAGAR, Brains win over Brawn
 Post Reply Post Reply