Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Women and Religion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Women and Religion
    Posted: 14-Jan-2007 at 22:22
Originally posted by morticia

Even though there is ample evidence of womens leadership in the early church, such leadership became increasingly prohibited as the church became a public institution, as it was not considered proper for women to hold leadership positions in public.   

There is evidence proving that there was an order of deaconesses in the Church up until--I believe--somewhere around the ninth century (I might have made that date up; feel free to check it). There is also evidence that ordination to the female diaconate was sacramental. Many have suggested reviving the ancient order of deaconesses, and I believe some local churches may have done it. There is not however, strong evidence for the presence of a female order of presbyters in the early Church.

As for whether or not this constitutes female "oppression," I guess that depends on your understanding of Christianity. The Church understands that women and men possess different, but equally important roles.

-Akolouthos
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2007 at 22:45
Originally posted by Northman

Dont you think they deserve it? Big%20smile 

Hehe, I can't say no to that. Smile
Sorry for jousting with you earlier - was having a bad day here.
You're right - when there's lack of certain subject matter, a sub-forum is a good idea & I wish we could do it for all human segments of society who's contributions to history are under-represented. 

Edited by Hellios - 15-Jan-2007 at 13:52
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2007 at 13:23
Originally posted by Paul

Man is a unique creature, he has a brain capable of creative thought andof developing beyond his cultural condition. Even a few women have this ability too. So no excuses for not using it. Being born into a religion environment is no excuse for a women not to abandon it.

Abandon it? ....at the risk of being stoned to death or burned at the stake? Outspoken women regarding religion (or any other subject for that matter) were unheard of in the olden days . Indeed, there are still some countries where women cannot look directly at a mans face without being punished. Oppression is not easy to overcome and takes many many years of tolerance and changes to make even a slight indentation. Women just need to be relentless, patience, and keep harping on it, even at the risk of annoying men, which is understandable. Men just have to learn to deal with it!

Reality is I think women who are oppressed by religion quite enjoy it. Society conditioned in them a masochistic streak and they revell in thier bondage. In most cases in repressive religious societies, men and women are highly segregated.It's the older genration of of women who break the spirits of the younger women not the men

Ouch! I just got whiplashed by those comments! The truth of the matter is that the spirit of the older generation of women was broken by MEN. In reality, I think that men are resentful of all the power theyve lost over women and they just cant stand it. Those feminists, huh? How dare they? What a bunch of greedy b_ _ tches!

Edited by morticia - 15-Jan-2007 at 13:24
"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2007 at 13:42
Originally posted by Mixcoatl

I wouldn't say women enjoy a subordinate position, but I think Paul has a point when he says that it's often the older generation of women who break the will of the younger generation. Female genetical mutilation in East Africa for example, is most vigourously supported (and performed) by the older women there.

Genital mutilation is the custom in many parts of Africa. Genital mutilation is performed in order to kill the sexual urges of a woman, so they may remain loyal and faithful to their husbands and have no sexual appetite for another man. Again, a painful procedure endured by a woman to appease the men.   
"Morty

morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2007 at 13:44

Personally I have as much sympathy for women who whinge about their inequality in religion as I would a black man who joins the Ku Klux Klan and then gets a niggling feeling he might not be getting treated as well as the other members.

Tsk, Tsk, Tsk...I'm afraid there's just no hope for you, Paul!   
"Morty

malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2007 at 21:29
I personally blame the XY chromosomes, they wanted to break away from the XX and create their own faction. Aren't men born as women till the Y chromosome actually kicks in.
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2007 at 22:33

Originally posted by Mixcoatl

I wouldn't say women enjoy a subordinate position, but I think Paul has a point when he says that it's often the older generation of women who break the will of the younger generation. Female genetical mutilation in East Africa for example, is most vigourously supported (and performed) by the older women there.

Genital mutilation is the custom in many parts of Africa. Genital mutilation is performed in order to kill the sexual urges of a woman, so they may remain loyal and faithful to their husbands and have no sexual appetite for another man. Again, a painful procedure endured by a woman to appease the men.   

Actually it's not endured by women to appease men. This implies a willing victim resigned to their fate. Actually genital mutilation is performed upon a helpless and unwilling child, by women, the child having no concept of appeasing men.

Please explain the difference between this act performed upon a child by women, and a rape performed upon a women by a man.

And before you answer if you consider the former to be pre-conditioned cultural act. Are you condoning rape as a pre-conditioned cultural act by men?

Edited by Paul - 16-Jan-2007 at 22:57
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2007 at 22:50

Man is a unique creature, he has a brain capable of creative thought and of developing beyond his cultural condition. Even a few women have this ability too. So no excuses for not using it. Being born into a religion environment is no excuse for a women not to abandon it.

Abandon it? ....at the risk of being stoned to death or burned at the stake? Outspoken women regarding religion (or any other subject for that matter) were unheard of in the olden days . Indeed, there are still some countries where women cannot look directly at a mans face without being punished. Oppression is not easy to overcome and takes many many years of tolerance and changes to make even a slight indentation. Women just need to be relentless, patience, and keep harping on it, even at the risk of annoying men, which is understandable. Men just have to learn to deal with it!

Reality is I think women who are oppressed by religion quite enjoy it. Society conditioned in them a masochistic streak and they revell in thier bondage. In most cases in repressive religious societies, men and women are highly segregated.  It's  the older genration of of women who break the spirits of the younger women not the men

Ouch! I just got whiplashed by those comments! The truth of the matter is that the spirit of the older generation of women was broken by MEN. In reality, I think that men are resentful of all the power theyve lost over women and they just cant stand it. Those feminists, huh? How dare they? What a bunch of greedy b_ _ tches!

Again the older generation of women weren't broken by men but an even older generation of women. Who inturn were broken by women too. It's endemic.

Personally I've never regarded feminists as a power threat, great comedy, but no power threat.... A post-feminist, now that's a different story.

I think the tombstone of feminism is either Afghanistan or Saudi Arabia.

South Africa was a country that had apartied. Outside the South African embassy, were men, not black but white, who sat in candlight vigil. Companies boycotted the place, songs like free Nelson Mandela were sung and soon enough the white regime came crashing down.

What did women do about the Taliban regime in Afghanistan, which treated women worse than blacks were treated in South Africa? What do they do now about Saudi Arabia? Or ever? What do the feminists of this forum at this precise moment post about Saudi Arabia? The answer to all these questions is sweet Jack.

If women, not Saudi women, but modern western feminist women had half the gumption of men who protested over apartied.............

Edited by Paul - 16-Jan-2007 at 22:58
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2007 at 10:19

Are you condoning rape as a pre-conditioned cultural act by men?

No, Paul, I do not.
"Morty

The_Jackal_God View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote The_Jackal_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2007 at 15:49
" Outspoken women regarding religion (or any other subject for that matter) were unheard of in the olden days ."

when you say things like that, it seems like you haven't had much experience of religion or knowledge of christian history.

let's see: martyrs of the early church - held up and venerated since the get-go: agnes, cecilia, philomena, catherine of alexandria (also an intellectual), agatha, ad infinitum.

second, deaconesses: do you know what the role of the deacons/deaconesses were in the early church? women religious orders and congregations have more than usurped their role. which brings us to another point.

the women religious orders turned out many powerful, influential women in history. in fact, religion was the vehicle that gave these women voices. you have Catherine of Sienna dictating to the popes what they have to do. Teresa of Avila who was fire incarnate. and plenty others,, providing all types of contributions to society, whether helping the poor, teaching, or helping immigrants (Mother Cabrini). there is plenty of history there for you to acquaint yourself with if you choose to do so rather than cling to your pre-conceived notions. And of course, your false assumptions ignore the power and fearful cadres of ruler-wielding irish nuns who have taught generation after generation of school children, so influential during their formative years.

sorry if i'm coming on strong, but your sweeping statements are embittered with prejudicial intolerance of somthing your not familiar with, and these statements get repeated over and over. it would be unfortunate that the true history get obscured by repititious rantings of those biased against it. it just makes more unnecessary work for future historians to unravel.
Mumbloid View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Mumbloid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2007 at 03:53
here for you girls.

I found online a religion who does not discriminate women

Wink

Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2007 at 05:28
There are more religions than that one.
 Wicca for example, and various other forms of Paganism.

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234