Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ancient Siberia

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
pytheas View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote pytheas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ancient Siberia
    Posted: 02-Jan-2005 at 12:25
I am curious if anyone knows about the following cultures:  The Tahtyk, Okunev, and Neolithic and Mesolithic sites in the Baikal region of Siberia.  I am guessing that my Russian counterparts might be able to shed light on the cultures in question, or at the least point me towards some good references...Cheers
Truth is a variant based upon perception. Ignorance is derived from a lack of insight into others' perspectives.
pytheas View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote pytheas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2005 at 12:49
The readings I have conducted on these cultures seems to indicate a relatively sedentary people with an established hierarchy.  The Neolithic groups were strangely red-haired (ginger-haired for you Brits), and hint at a close connection with populations in Europe.  There are examples in many of the burials of near perfectly preserved human bodies.  One Mesolithic burial included the skeleton of an adult male and the skeleton of a grey wolf, that appeared to have acted as companion in life.  I'm sure there are great references online somewhere.  When I find them, I'll make sure to post them here!
Truth is a variant based upon perception. Ignorance is derived from a lack of insight into others' perspectives.
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2005 at 18:31
Sorry I havn't said anything...people have posted questions like this before...no one here really knows anything about it.
 Post Reply Post Reply