Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Timeline-191: Confederates Win Independence

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Timotheus View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Timotheus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Timeline-191: Confederates Win Independence
    Posted: 06-Feb-2007 at 00:16
There's this gigantic series of alternate history novels collectively referred to as Timeline-191, with the basic idea that the Confederacy wins independence. You can get a fairly detailed picture of it at Wikipedia. It is a very interesting series of conjectures, mainly deficient in that it is not divergent enough from real history...but enough about that. What do you think the results of Confederate independence would have been?
Opium is the religion of the masses.

From each according to his need, to each according to his ability.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2007 at 05:05
I started reading some of them but found them very heavy-going and gave up, which surprised me because his book "The Case of the Toxic Spell Dump" is one of my all-time favourites.

One thing I thought completely far-fetched is that the Confederacy allied with Germany would have won in WWI.

Timotheus View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Timotheus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2007 at 21:52
It didn't exactly work that way; Confederates were with Allies and USA were with Central Powers. I do find it rather reasonable that without the massive influx of American troops at the time just when the balance was starting to tip to the Germans, that World War I might have gone the other way.

...and, as the storyline continues, Germany had no hard peace enforced on them, therefore no Nazi Party...
Opium is the religion of the masses.

From each according to his need, to each according to his ability.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 07:51

Originally posted by Timotheus

It didn't exactly work that way; Confederates were with Allies and USA were with Central Powers.
My error. Thanks for pointing it out.
I do find it rather reasonable that without the massive influx of American troops at the time just when the balance was starting to tip to the Germans, that World War I might have gone the other way.
Notif you look at the internal political and economic situation in Germany. Not as bad as it was in Russia, but still terminally weak.

The German army's claim that they were let down or betrayed is usually presented as a whining excuse. But there was something in it.

What was seen in 1917/18 was the final collapse of the absolutist empires. It probably would have happened without a war at all.

...and, as the storyline continues, Germany had no hard peace enforced on them, therefore no Nazi Party...

Edited by gcle2003 - 07-Feb-2007 at 07:51
 Post Reply Post Reply