Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Would you "design" your baby?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Online Status: Offline
  Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Would you "design" your baby?
    Posted: 20-Mar-2007 at 21:01
You do understand the can of worms you future eugenicists are presenting correct?

For one, even though the promises of genetic engineering are beauty, intelligence and health we don't know enough to consider if these can all be mutually inclusive en mass. Let's say we have a gene that can guarentee an IQ of 200 but it causes troubles with another gene that causes a child to be born without ears, however there is a way that we can correct the ears but in order to do so the child will be incapable of reproducing....I mean genetics is far too complicated to assume that they can create 'perfection'.

Of course that's a slight smokescreen since I can't prove that, so lets assume they can create the "perfect" man. First off, whose cultural preferences are we to base this child off of? I'd assume it would be European preferences since  they have the most money to spend on this. This means that non-europeans would find themselves yet again in an inferior class, except this time the basis wouldn't be without grounds.

Next your telling me that people with defects need these "fixed"? Recently a topic that suggested this was shut down because it was found to be offensive. Mental and Physical disorders exist for a reason and an attempt to eliminate these with 'a pill'. Would just serve to create more bias against such unfortunate people. "Oh I see your child has autism, I guess that means you didn't love him enough to get the treatment." How horrible would that be? Just because someone is different doesn't mean their wrong or abominations, just because people don't care about a person with disabilities doesn't mean all people are as uncaring. There is a reason our species has altruism as one of it's traits you know, and if this step is taken we could eliminate that from humanity.

Now I'm not utterly against all reproductive treatments, however I don't think anything should be done to affect the genome of a person. We are individuals for a reason and no human life is worth more than any other. To think otherwise is a horrid thought and should have no place in society.

Artificial methods should be used to make us more human, not to take humanity and make it more artificial.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123