Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Magic vs Science

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: If the war between the muggles and wizards begin, who would win?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [40.00%]
5 [50.00%]
1 [10.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Online Status: Offline
  Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Magic vs Science
    Posted: 29-Apr-2007 at 15:23

It's a weird question, I know. But I've been talking about with some people, and the debate got interesting. Your thoughts?

Join us.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2007 at 09:53
It always seems to me that to talk about 'magic' vs 'science' is a categorical mistake. The differences are between religion and science in one field and magic and technology (engineering) in another.

Magic and technology are instrumental activities - aimed at controlling the universe (or as much of it as possible), and their relative success can only be assessed by comparing their effectiveness in producing results.

Religion and science on the other hand are expressive activities - concerned with developing and expressing beliefs about the universe.

To a magician or a technologist it is irrelevant if his beliefs are right - as long they work. To a religious person or a scientist the rightness of his beliefs is all.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2007 at 21:13

Magic can be scientific, indeed.

A good contemporary "Magician" or "illusionist" is able to apply science to create wonderful tricks. He/She doesn't fool anyone, but entertain and amazes everyone.

Pinguin

Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2007 at 21:41
Originally posted by gcle2003

It always seems to me that to talk about 'magic' vs 'science' is a categorical mistake. The differences are between religion and science in one field and magic and technology (engineering) in another.

Magic and technology are instrumental activities - aimed at controlling the universe (or as much of it as possible), and their relative success can only be assessed by comparing their effectiveness in producing results.

Religion and science on the other hand are expressive activities - concerned with developing and expressing beliefs about the universe.

To a magician or a technologist it is irrelevant if his beliefs are right - as long they work. To a religious person or a scientist the rightness of his beliefs is all.

Seems to be a clause missing from the second half of this statement, to make them equivalent. Surely it should be,

To a magician or a technologist it is irrelevant if his beliefs are right - as long they work. To a religious person or a scientist the rightness of his beliefs is all - regardless of whether they work.

If I might presume to speculate it.

Glad to see after all this time you're finally leaning towards the ranks of us nihilists. I wonder where we fit on the above example.

Edited by Paul - 30-Apr-2007 at 21:43
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2007 at 11:24
Originally posted by Paul

Originally posted by gcle2003

Seems to be a clause missing from the second half of this statement, to make them equivalent. Surely it should be,

To a magician or a technologist it is irrelevant if his beliefs are right - as long they work. To a religious person or a scientist the rightness of his beliefs is all - regardless of whether they work.

If I might presume to speculate it.

I can take that. I thought I had implied it.

Glad to see after all this time you're finally leaning towards the ranks of us nihilists. I wonder where we fit on the above example.

I'm not sure what you mean by a nihilist. Even the Nihilists weren't nihilists.
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2007 at 20:03
Originally posted by pinguin

Magic can be scientific, indeed.

A good contemporary "Magician" or "illusionist" is able to apply science to create wonderful tricks. He/She doesn't fool anyone, but entertain and amazes everyone.

Pinguin

I meant magic based on Harry Potter novel... not clever illusions...

Join us.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2007 at 20:39

Only the magic of clever illusionists exist...

Harry Potter is just fantasy :)
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2007 at 23:50
Poll question was...

If the war between the muggles and wizards begin, who would win?

Hence, we assume Harry Potter magic is real...

Join us.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2007 at 11:22
Muggles. They'll use human wave tactics.
Arrrgh!!"
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2011 at 03:01
science started as magic!
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2011 at 08:47
If you understand how something works, it's science.  If you don't, it's magic.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
 Post Reply Post Reply