Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Favourite Roman authors?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
zeno View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote zeno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favourite Roman authors?
    Posted: 05-May-2007 at 11:52

Suetonius, Petronius and Juvenal

my passion for the ancient world is relatively new (i'm doing a Masters on Roman myths this year), and i'm interested in what kinds of Roman literature are popular these days
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2007 at 12:06
Originally posted by zeno

Suetonius, Petronius and Juvenal
my passion for the ancient world is relatively new (i'm doing a Masters on Roman myths this year), and i'm interested in what kinds of Roman literature are popular these days

Welcome to AE zeno!

It is good to see that you are involved in the Classics.  As an undergraduate I was a history and Classics double major.  For my MA now I am doing history, although my work with Byzantium does involve the Classics at almost every turn.

Suetonius is good.  I am primarily interested in the work of the Roman historians and chroniclers, and later in time period.  One of my favorites is Ammianus Marcellinus, who wrote about the reign of Julian and his immediate predecessors.  Vegetius is good too, for his military treatise.

zeno View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote zeno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2007 at 14:07
ok, which emperors/events do Marcellinus and Vegetius cover?
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2007 at 01:11
I liked Suetonius for his refreshing style that takes in the little details of the imperial court.

While a writer such as Tacitus gives us a much richer source of information about the Empire as a whole, Suetonius provides a work which is more entertaining overall.
Theodore Felix View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Theodore Felix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2007 at 01:15
Tacitus. One has to love his cynical style and cant complain at the level of accuracy.
Melisende View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Melisende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2007 at 00:59
I enjoyed Caesar's "Gallic Wars"
"For my part, I adhere to the maxim of antiquity: The throne is a glorious sepulchre."
kilroy View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
AE Editor

Quote kilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2007 at 08:20
I always loved reading Cicero's speeches, letters and volumes.  They are always colorful and entertaining.  His political speeches almost always poke fun at the biggest players of the day, and his orations during trials are unsurpassed.  
Kilroy was here.
zeno View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote zeno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2007 at 09:22
can anyone recommend a speed by Cicero or a chapter from Caesar that are particularly enjoyable?

I admit that Tacitus is one of the most vivid writers, his personality really comes across in his judgements. It is his lack of detail that can be so frustrating.

Has anyone enjoyed any particular pieces of Horace or Ovid? I have only looked into the Fasti so far.
New User View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote New User Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2007 at 13:50
tacitus tacitus tacitus...learning latin and can't wait til I can read his work from the original language, love his style!
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jul-2007 at 08:52
Livy Livy Livy!
Mumbloid View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Mumbloid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jul-2007 at 13:57
Publius Virgilius Maro (vergil) Smile

Edited by Mumbloid - 02-Jul-2007 at 14:00
The future keeps the past alive.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2007 at 08:35
Ovidius , ars Amandi.
Martialis , Epigramms
QueenCleopatra View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote QueenCleopatra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2007 at 16:28
Seutonius, Plutarch, Cicero and Catullus.
Her Royal Highness , lady of the Two Lands, High Priestess of Thebes, Beloved of Isis , Cleopatra , Oueen of the Nile
zeno View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote zeno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jul-2007 at 16:52
Suetonius
Petronius
Juvenal
Ammianus Marcellinus
Vegetius
Tacitus
Livy
Virgil
Ovid
Martial
Cicero
Catullus
Plutarch

Illirac View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Illirac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2007 at 09:30
Plautus and Cicerio
For too long I've been parched of thirst and unable to quench it.
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jul-2007 at 17:47
Yeah, I do like Marital and Juvenal, not, of course, as primary sources but because of the little essential bits of context that they can give you. We, as ancient historians, have the additional challenge of having to deal with a completely self-contained period of history in which there is not modern cultural or political paralell to really latch on to. Unlike those guys in the modern world history section, we must use these sources like Marital, Juvenal, and also Terence, to get the cultural background that we need to include in our stuff so that we can see the bigger picture. Just because those writers haven't given me any primary stuff in my new article (please read! - Titus Quinctius Flaminius and Rome's war with the east, not done yet though! Smile ), they are no less valubale in giving the background needed to slot it all into.
 Post Reply Post Reply