Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Older Women

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Older Women
    Posted: 18-May-2007 at 12:42
Women are living longer and healthier lives today. Here are just a few women who continue to stay active way past retirement age. Congratulations to all of them!

Nola Ochs - age 95 from Hays, Kansas (USA)
She will become the oldest person in the world to earn a college degree when she graduates in June. Age didnt stop her from going forward to achieve what shes always wanted to do. She will get a history degree.

Source: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18338864/

Nola Ochs

Barbara Hillary - age 75 -from New York (USA)
She became the first black woman to reach the North Pole on April 23rd and possibly the oldest at 75 years of age. She now plans on becoming a global warming activist.

Source: http://www.libertypost.org/cgi-bin/readart.cgi?ArtNum=186389

Barbara Hillary

Verna Naylor - age 91 - from Bentonville, Ohio (USA)
Shes the oldest postmaster in the U.S. who is still working in the same office since 1968 and has no plans of retiring.

Source: http://www.daytondailynews.com/n/content/gen/ap/OH_Oldest_Postmaster.html

Verna Naylor
"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2007 at 00:42

I hope to live to 80, though im still a so called "child" at 17.

Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2007 at 04:10

Nothing so called about it .
Not that I can speak of course.
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2007 at 04:25
Quite inspiring Morty, especially the 75 year old reaching the North Pole! It is true, we are living longer, why waste what we have gained (years) Smile Good on 'em I say!

Originally posted by Penelope

We must make the most of "child"hood Big%20smile It is escaping from our grasp so rapidly...
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2007 at 06:24
Hm, old age like that is fine... but there is another side to it. My gran reached 98, but the last 12 years of it she had Alzheimer, she was lonely (even though people visited her all the time... she would forget) and very unhappy, because she knew she was slowly losing her past, her thoughts and her life. If that is what is waiting, I'll take the fast deadly disease at 70, thank you very much... Just enough time to say goodby and the quick way out.

But of course, growing old the way these women do is fantastic. Their lust and enthusiasm for life and living it to the max is envyable... Thumbs%20Up

We must make the most of "child"hood Big%20smile It is escaping from our grasp so rapidly...

I found little to enjoy in my childhood... I am so glad that time is past and I am rid of it... Whatever they tell you, childhood is not the happiest time of your life, your twenties are.... Wink

Edited by Aelfgifu - 20-May-2007 at 06:26

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
heikstheo View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote heikstheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2007 at 07:44
Originally posted by morticia

Nola Ochs - age 95 from Hays, Kansas (USA)
She will become the oldest person in the world to earn a college degree when she graduates in June. Age didnt stop her from going forward to achieve what shes always wanted to do. She will get a history degree.

Source: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18338864/  

Nola Ochs
And when will she be going on for further studies?
Ted Heiks
BA, History & Political Science, Western State College of Colorado, 1984
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2007 at 10:24
Ninety-four year old Phyllis Turner of Australia has become the oldest person to earn a university masters degree. At age 90, she commenced studying for her postgraduate degree and will receive her Medical Science Masters Degree this week.   What an achievement!

Source:   http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070802/wl_nm/australia_masters_dc_1

"Morty

Gharanai View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Afghan Empire

Quote Gharanai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2007 at 15:31

Well let me tell you a story of a women in Bamyan province.

One day I was reading the newspaper and to my supprise I came up with the news which titled as "110 with one Kidney", so I got amazed and started reading it, it was about a women from Bamyan province who aged 110 and was living with her grandson and was so fit that one would say she is around 50-60, during doing house chores she had cutted her belly and was taken to hospital. There the doctors found that she has got only one Kidney and when she was asked about it she told the doctors that she had never been to a hospital or doctor her entire life as she never felt unhealthy, therefore she didn't know that she has only one Kidney.

When I read it I really was amazed that how healthy she looked in the picture while no one could believe she is of 110.

See her yourself...

Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2007 at 18:35
I agree that to have such a zest for life in one's senior years (and to live to the ages that some of these women have) is an enviable achievement.
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2007 at 15:17
Gharanai, that's quite a remarkable story. From what I've read, most people who get to age over 100 years are usually hardworking laborers who walk a lot and lead unstressful lives and who hardly ever seek medical attention. I think that our modern people of today take too much medication which are prescribed by doctors (they have to stay in business somehow)unnecessarily. Thanks for the story!
"Morty

Gharanai View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Afghan Empire

Quote Gharanai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2007 at 06:44
Originally posted by morticia

Thanks for the story!

Anytime.

Dear morticia you are absolutly right that most of the diseases which take place in human body in todays world is mostly caused by the unnecessary usage of medicine and drugs.
Beside that as the world has modernized, the physical activities are getting lesser day after the day.
I mean still there are alot of people in Afghanistan who are aged above 60 but still living soo tall that even we the new generation can not compete them.

In Kabul city there are lots of people living on mountains and hills and in order to obtain water they have to take it from the down side back to their homes in buckets and barrels, and it's mostly done by the elders of the families as they have nothing else to do and the youngers work to earn and survive the family.
That really makes the elders physicallyand mentally fit....

morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2007 at 10:09
Gharanai, I agree with you! The most sought after jobs in today's markets are very sedentary. Most people drive everywhere (at least here in the U.S. they do) instead of walking or riding a bike. People don't like to sweat or do hard labor work, so it's no wonder they're so physically unfit.

"Morty

Post Reply Post Reply