Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Architectural Greatness

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Architectural Greatness
    Posted: 26-Aug-2008 at 09:33

Heys,

What were the great architectural buildings (besides the Seven Wonders of the World)? I just know that the architecture of the lands was great but when I started to think about it, everything just slipped past my mind... 

The timeframe, I'm talking of is around 3rd century BC here. The Roman theatres wouldn't yet be built... but there must be something (oh, and I'm speaking of the Ptolemaic, Seleucid, Roman, Carthaginian, Iberian, Macedonian lands right now...)

Praetor View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Praetor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2008 at 12:57
well If I'm not mistaken the Parthenon is an example of great architecture (though what constitutes "great" architecture is rather subjective) that was extant during this time period, I would probably also add the Military harbour of Carthage (though it isn't really a single building). The temple Complex at Karnak is still standing at this time, though I'm not sure in what condition it would have been in. These are of course but a few examples that meet the criteria (I'm assuming by your mention of the seven wonders that these monuments simply have to be present during the 3rd century).

I'm sure others can expand greatly on my examples from this rushed post of mine..............

Regards, Praetor.

Edited by Praetor - 27-Aug-2008 at 13:08
 Post Reply Post Reply