Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Kubuntu

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
Over-Lord of the Marching Men

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kubuntu
    Posted: 08-Oct-2008 at 03:06
 I'm going to try and install kubuntu.
(given some time to avoid procrastination and get rid of homework backlog).

This isn't my first experience with linux--I tried xandros for a while. It kind of sucked, ended up getting all screwed up and crashing, and it was years ago. So it might as WELL be my first experience. All I remember is that manually unwrapping tarballs is annoying and that there can be inadequate information on compatibility with certain programs.

So, is there anything anyone can tell me about what to expect, what to watch out for, etc?

I've read the documentation on the Kubuntu site; I'm looking more for tips that would have been left out or not mentioned. There is no substitute for person-to-person advice.

Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2008 at 15:37
I installed ubuntu on my home computer twice and kubuntu once on a computer at work. It is the easiest way of installing linux in my experience. Also, the last version of ubuntu is good enough that my wife has worked with it for months now and she barely ever talks about getting windows (only when the issue of certain applications that she must run that don't have a free version.)

Kubuntu seems to match more the UI of windows; I prefer more the gnome UI, but that must be because I worked with macs a long time ago :)
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2008 at 21:59
Since I'm trying to share the drive with an install of windows, would you advise installing kubuntu within windows, or doing the wacky partitioning stuff?

Reason I ask is that there's a partition on my drive that I would LIKE to use for kubuntu, but It has had some problems, so I might just take it apart and make a new one. It's not as if there's anything important on it.

I started to wonder if installing Kubuntu on windows might be easier-there could be some slowdown, but...I have a quad-core CPU. I doubt there's be any appreciable difference.

So, which would be better, given those circumstances?

Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2008 at 16:07
If you are just trying kubuntu out, try installing it within windows. Partitioning will probably give you the true speed of the OS, though.

Or if you have an old computer around, you can always just back it up, erase the disk, and install kubuntu just on that drive. That way you won't have to partition your current windows disk and you can try kubuntu.

Gharanai View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Afghan Empire

Quote Gharanai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2008 at 00:00
I have been a reguler user of Ubuntu, but have just ordered for Kubuntu so which it has something newer and more improved then Ubuntu, but to be honest and not baised non of them can even get near WINDOWS.

hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2008 at 15:44
Only when it comes to playing games and other specialized windows-only software. The development tools are excellent, it starts up quickly, and it is free.

Games are the main reason to keep using windows. :)
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2008 at 16:27
Originally posted by hugoestr

Games are the main reason to keep using windows. :)

Which is part of why I want to learn to use linux...in a matter of months months, I'll be heading off to a a very interesting place which, sadly, will probably not involve a lot of powerful gaming computer-building opportunities. Since I won't really need to be playing games much, I figure I'll pretty much exclusively be using some other operating system than windows...and to be honest, I'm not really enamored of Macs. There's something a little totalitarian about how you can't build your own mac and so forth, I don't really care much about design, since that's pretty subjective--and linux is even MORE secure. And from all acounts, the desktop GUI is pretty nice-looking. And  "easy to use" is the worst excuse I ever heard to pay hundreds of dollars.

Post Reply Post Reply