Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Procrastination

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Procrastination
    Posted: 30-Oct-2008 at 19:51
Perhaps somewhat ironically (And somewhat humourously), I've been putting off working on an essay I intended to have finished by tonight. Until tomorrow. There are times when my level of procrastination reaches epic heights. But such has been my procrastination that I went on to Wikipedia and looked up what it actually means. I've kinda been using the word without really knowing what it means for years. Yeah, I was putting off looking that one up.

I worked out that I am the

"The tense-afraid type of procrastinator is described by Fiore (1989) as feeling overwhelmed by pressures, unrealistic about time, uncertain about goals, dissatisfied with accomplishments, indecisive, blaming of others or circumstances for his/her failures, lacking in confidence and, sometimes, perfectionistic. Thus, the underlying fears are of failing, lacking ability, being imperfect, and falling short of overly demanding goals. This type thinks his/her worth is determined by what he/she does, which reflects his/her level of ability. He/she is afraid of being judged and found wanting. Thus, this kind of procrastinator will get over-stressed and over-worked until he/she escapes the pressure temporarily by trying to relax but any enjoyment gives rise to guilt and more apprehension." http://web.archive.org/web/20070306075016/http://www.mepcoeng.ac.in/scienceforum/psycology/psyhelp/chap4/chap4r.htm

What kind of procrastinator are you?
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2008 at 19:52
"escapes the pressure temporarily by trying to relax but any enjoyment gives rise to guilt and more apprehension"

I can't explain how often this is the case by the way!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2008 at 20:27
I'm procrastinating at the moment.

I am writing an email and I'm not sure how to start. It's somebody I don't know, but it's not formal enough for 'L.S.' or 'To whom it may concern'

Which I think is an excellent excuse for taking an hour and a half for writing it.
Voskhod View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Voskhod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2008 at 10:51
Feeling overwhelmed by pressures, unrealistic about time, uncertain about goals, dissatisfied with accomplishments, indecisive, blaming of others or circumstances for his/her failures, lacking in confidence and, sometimes, perfectionistic... etc... yep, sounds like me. Although, I think I could be the relaxed type as well. (easily-frustrated, self-indulgent, preoccupied with meeting their more basic emotional needs, e.g. for attention and approval by peers, love, or self-esteem, etc)

Thanks for the link, it's a good website. There's so much to read though, maybe I'll have a look through the threads at this forum for a while and go back to it when I feel like it...
"All the true heroes of history will be forgotten and all the villains will be remembered as heroes."
- Leo Tolstoy
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2008 at 10:57
WHAT DO WE WANT?
Procrastination!
WHEN DO WE WANT IT?
Ohh...next week will do....

Edited by gcle2003 - 31-Oct-2008 at 10:57
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2008 at 11:10
Well .. idunno .. I don't think my procrastination runs along any "men are from mars" psychoanalytic, touchy-feely business. It's usually just the notion that if I delay doing something, there's a chance that I'll think of a more efficient way to do it. Basically I am very lazy and always seeking to maximize time for reflection and recreation. 
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2008 at 12:07
Originally posted by gcle2003

WHAT DO WE WANT?
Procrastination!
WHEN DO WE WANT IT?
Ohh...next week will do....

That deserves a hearty LOL Smile
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2008 at 20:13
Originally posted by Parnell

"The tense-afraid type of procrastinator is described by Fiore (1989) as feeling overwhelmed by pressures, unrealistic about time, uncertain about goals, dissatisfied with accomplishments, indecisive, blaming of others or circumstances for his/her failures, lacking in confidence and, sometimes, perfectionistic. Thus, the underlying fears are of failing, lacking ability, being imperfect, and falling short of overly demanding goals. This type thinks his/her worth is determined by what he/she does, which reflects his/her level of ability. He/she is afraid of being judged and found wanting. 

Damn!!!  I could not find a better description of myself!!!!!!

"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2008 at 10:32
Yeah, assignment in three hours, but i'm here, reading threads made my Denis Cavanagh on a history forum lodged in cyber-space. I've definitely got procrastination issues. In fact, i would venture to assert that this site would be much the less better off if it were not for this wholly maligned human foible, that i hate, but i never get around to organising it out of my life. And that's not even being ironic.
 Post Reply Post Reply