Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Your country´s best movies?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your country´s best movies?
    Posted: 13-Jun-2009 at 10:57
Originally posted by Carcharodon

Originally posted by ulrich von hutten

A small collection of my favourite movies

Nosferatu - 1922

OH yes, this is also a favourite!

What is this creature? Some sort of vampire?
Carcharodon View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Carcharodon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2009 at 11:48
Talking about history films: Iceland has made some memorable films in that genre. Here is a couple of them:

-Utlaginn (1981) this movie is based on the old Icelandic viking saga about Gisle Sursson who is declared an outlaw. It is directed by August Gudmundsson.
Here is  a scene when some men are looking for him in a house. But the woman in the house gives them a real scolding:

-When the Raven Flies (1984), ), a brutal Vikingsaga. Directed by Hrafn Gunnlaugsson.
Trailer:

-Shadow of the Raven (1988), a brutal saga set in the early medieval period. Also by Hrafn Gunnlaugsson.

It is well worth noticising that in all these three movies, and also in the Sami film Ofelas, participates the actor Helgi Skulason who´s sharp featured face has become synonymous with the ancient Nordic people.

Edited by Carcharodon - 13-Jun-2009 at 15:53
Baron
Baron

Quote Carcharodon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2009 at 11:58
Originally posted by cahaya

Originally posted by ulrich von hutten

A small collection of my favourite movies

Nosferatu - 1922

OH yes, this is also a favourite!

What is this creature? Some sort of vampire?

Yes it is the Vampire count Orlok who is based on count Dracula from the book Dracula by Bram Stoker. Because of copy right issues the filmmakers couldn´t use the name from the book so they renamed the Vampire Orlok instead.
This is one of the best Vampire movies ever made and still today it can chill the blood of the viewer:

Trailer:

The full Movie:

About the book Dracula:

Edited by Carcharodon - 13-Jun-2009 at 12:02
Etnad View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Etnad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2009 at 11:22

Sounds interesting.

But I think you have some good movies. For example one can mention a couple of really memorable films by the legendary Danish director Carl Theodor Dreyer:

-Vampyr (1932), a creepy, dreamlike vampire movie after a story of J Sheridan Le Fanu. The film was a French German production but with the Danish Dreyer as director.

-Ordet (the Word, 1955), a strong religious drama. After a play by Kaj Munk.

By the way what do you think about Lars von Trier?

Oh, I thought we were only talking about historical movies.
Yes well indeed we have some original film in this country, we've allways been popular for making different films.
Lars von Trier is a brilliant man, god bless his "sickness". I actually find him to be one of the best directors in the world, because he knows how to make movie like art - provocative. Instead of just making a love movie or a movie concerning a particular topic, he takes everything that is basic to us, and turns everything upside down. - Like we see it in his new Anti-Christ.
Have you seen his movies :)?

Baron
Baron

Quote Carcharodon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2009 at 20:29
Etnad:  Oh, I thought we were only talking about historical movies.

Yes, but as always in these threads one sometimes stray away a bit. And at least Vampyr is set in historic times.

Have you seen his movies :)?

Yes, I´ve seen a couple of them and I also saw his TV series Riget where also the genial Swedish actor Ernst Hugo Järegård participated. Those films are really special.

Edited by Carcharodon - 16-Jun-2009 at 20:30
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12