Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I think, therefore I am

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tusi View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Tusi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I think, therefore I am
    Posted: 22-Aug-2009 at 22:06
Are the two sentences the same?

We have all heard the famous saying, "I think, therefore I am". However, here's a possible problem with the saying,
The phrase above basically says that the most definitive proof that we exist is that "I think". Everything around us could be an illusion, but taken down to its most basic level, the fact that "I think" shows "I am".
Here's a possible problem with it..... there are many animals/creatures that have some sort of thinking process. Thinking can be defined by the electrical impulses that go on in the brain as a result of external phenomenon. However, just because an animal "thinks", doesn't mean that it knows "it is". What us humans have is the awareness that we are thinking. We KNOW that we are thinking, and this knowing, this awareness is not part of the thinking process.
As such, would you say the following sentence is more accurate? Or is it the same?
"I am, because I am aware I think"
Sander View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator

Quote Sander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2009 at 12:04
I agree that being aware you think is very typical for man, but do you know one creature that can think normally and does not know he thinks?

IMO," I think, therefore I am "  covers it already.

I even think that " I think, I am " will do.  One has to think a bit more , perhaps, but that is what man does. Approve

opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2010 at 17:59
Tusi, wearing the mask of a terrorist, made the initial post! Or at least that is the photo he or she chose to identify their self!

His or her last sentence was this;

"As such, would you say the following sentence is more accurate? Or is it the same?
"I am, because I am aware I think"

A very good example as well as a question! But then we have to get in to the definition of "awareness?", which raises numerous problems!

Most every creature, it seems, is "aware" of its environment, or it could not survive nor defend itself if necessary! Most every creature is also aware of its opposite sex! Or, in most all situations, there would be no reproduction! Most every creature, in some manner, is also aware of hunger, etc.!

The real question is "Are most creatures really aware that they are "creatures?" Do, most of them give any regard to other creatures other than to treat some of them as food, ignore most of them, and run from the rest?

A very deep question, but one that seems to very much identify Humans as the most "aware!" of the bunch!

Regards,
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
toyomotor View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

BANNED TROLL

Quote toyomotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2014 at 04:31
Originally posted by Sander

I agree that being aware you think is very typical for man, but do you know one creature that can think normally and does not know he thinks?

IMO," I think, therefore I am "  covers it already.

I even think that " I think, I am " will do.  One has to think a bit more , perhaps, but that is what man does. Approve

I think all creatures think, at different levels, without conscious thought that they're doing so.

Humans, for example, do so many things purely from habit and without conscious thought.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2014 at 04:44
I think is bad in this moment here!
 Post Reply Post Reply