Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

family law

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Athena View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Athena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: family law
    Posted: 19-Jun-2011 at 13:35
I think it the nature of women to have different values and a different perspective on history.  For example, which heading is the best one for discussing social changes and more specifically changes in family law that directly important to our lives?   Would this be a subject desired for the magazine?  Perhaps nothing can give us a better understanding our past and present than knowledge of changing family law.  

1941 copy of "The Oregon Law of Family Relations" by Roy M. Lockenour

Code 63-301   makes parents "liable for the support of adult children when they are poor and unable to work to maintain themselves."   

and how about this one...
"29.  Right of Husband to Wife's Services and Earnings.  Oregon law gives wife the right to her separate earnings.  Cold 63-204 Ore. Const., Art. XV, Sec. 5.  In other words, she has the same rights respecting her money that she earns as her husband does.  She and her husband are equally entitled to the earnings of their children.  Code, 63-394.  However, the common law still gives an Oregon husband the right to his wife's services in connection with the discharge of her ordinary marital and domestic duties.  Theoretically. the wife has no right to desert her marital and domestic to go out to earn money, leaving her husband to care for the home or compel him to employ someone for that purpose.  But the only practical way of enforcing this right is to obtain a divorce and marry another woman who will perform her obligations. 

This subject goes with things like economics and government services.  Today, instead of relying on family to take care of family, we rely on the state, and many modern countries are having an economic problem, that necessitates cutting back on government spending.  Might we consider changing our laws again, legally returning responsibility for family to the family?  How might this impact our lives?  

My own son and daughter are complete unaware of our past, and everyone has come down on me for speaking of family duty.   They tell me, I am to do everything because I "love" my family.   Angry My granddaughter's have been extremely careless and are now raising children without fathers.   One has a job and the other is dependent on the state.   At least they help each other, but they get here by believing things about "freedom", that their parents taught them, and that maybe we need to adjust?   They are darn lucky to have a grandmother who bases decisions on a concept of family duty, and my son and his wife are very glad my sense of family duty means caring for their youngest child, after I asked them to please stop having children.   While I am grinding my teeth, and am dealing with feelings of resentment, as I deal with the after math of everyone's "freedom" and ideas of about what it mean to be a good citizen.    For a couple of generations now, old folks like me have dealing with the backlash of amoral education for a technological society.  How can something this serious not be in our history books?  If social changes like this are in HIS STORY books, please tell me the names of the books.   

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2011 at 13:45
Kids never seem to appreciate what their parents have done for them. I myself only realised it after starting university
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2011 at 10:42
Originally posted by Nick1986

Kids never seem to appreciate what their parents have done for them. I myself only realised it after starting university

At that stage, your only partially aware.Wink Just wait until you have a couple of your own.  You will eventually reach a point where you will apologize to your mom and dad for all of the garbage you put them thru.Big smile I did.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Toltec View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Shape Shifter

Quote Toltec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2011 at 14:05
Originally posted by red clay

Just wait until you have a couple of your own.  You will eventually reach a point where you will apologize to your mom and dad for all of the garbage you put them thru.Big smile I did.

Then a few year later you'll strangle the kids.
Stupidity got us into this mess, why can't it get us out?

History Planet Website
<br /
PADDYBOY View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Historum joker, suspended

Quote PADDYBOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2011 at 07:39
Then a few years later, the kids stick you in one of them dodgy nursing homes.
Not that I'm complaining mind you. The food's quite good here...(just kidding)
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2011 at 09:38
er yes well Paddy keep it down eh.....the one over at Los Luna is still looking for me. Wink

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 29-Jun-2011 at 09:40
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2011 at 11:26
Like the saying goes, "be nice to your kids, they get to choose the nursing home you go to".Big smile
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
ducky View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote ducky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2011 at 14:04
Well, I am not so sure the replies in this thread do justice to the subject.   I am wondering what will happen with the efforts to empower women around the world?  I have heard aid money is being given to women, because they are more apt to spend the money on children.  The report says it common for the men to spend money inappropriately, and usually on getting drunk.   Also a lot of effort is being made to give women, in very poor places, mini loans so they can start businesses.   Surely this will increase womens political power as well.   What do you think?
Now isn't that just ducky
 Post Reply Post Reply