Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sherlock

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vladd View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Vladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sherlock
    Posted: 21-Jan-2012 at 10:24
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2012 at 10:40
I'm a huge Sherlock Holmes fan, and I think the BBC's Sherlock is fantastic, with the second series being even better than the first. For me a remake will either work very well or it will stink and disappear altogether. The BBC have a remake of real quality, but if the American can add something into the mix and it's also quality, then I say let them. I might be influenced though by the knowledge of there not being another series to Sherlock until probably 2013, and could do with something to plug the gap somewhat.LOL
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Vladd View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Vladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2012 at 12:30
Maybe they should update one of their own, Nero Wolf perhaps?
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2012 at 13:07
New Scotland Yard was formed 1890:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotland_Yard
First Sherlock in "A Study in Scarlet" 1887:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherlock_Holmes
Was Sherlock promoter of new detectives in Scotland Yard?Online school for detectives for young people in Britain those days.
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2012 at 13:08
Originally posted by Vladd

They could do that too, Vladd.

Btw, Vladd, I found it very interesting in the last one in the series where they were talking about if a seed of doubt can be placed into someone's mind, then the person will put all their energy in substantiating that point, regardless if it turns out to be true or not. I love it when they talk about real psychology matters. After the seed it sown into the person's mind it's the confirmation bias people feel compelled to follow, not that they explained it as being called the confirmation bias, and something people can easily be trapped by. 
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Vladd View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Vladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2012 at 14:13
Originally posted by medenaywe

Was Sherlock promoter of new detectives in Scotland Yard?Online school for detectives for young people in Britain those days.

Scotland Yard was moved to it's new site and became New Scotland Yard in 1890, Scotland Yard  was originally formed in 1829 at 4 Whitehall Place.

Vladd View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Vladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2012 at 14:16
Originally posted by TheAlaniDragonRising

They could do that too, Vladd.

Btw, Vladd, I found it very interesting in the last one in the series where they were talking about if a seed of doubt can be placed into someone's mind, then the person will put all their energy in substantiating that point, regardless if it turns out to be true or not. I love it when they talk about real psychology matters. After the seed it sown into the person's mind it's the confirmation bias people feel compelled to follow, not that they explained it as being called the confirmation bias, and something people can easily be trapped by. 

The writing has many levels it seems.

AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2012 at 14:18
An interesting bit of info for those interested, is that at the time of being written the numbers on houses in Baker street didn't go up to 221B, and was only added to to make up the numbers because of the popularity of Sherlock Holmes.Smile
Vladd View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Vladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2012 at 14:54
I used to have a book of letters Abbey National received at their office for Sherlock Holmes from all over the world, wonder what happened to it.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2012 at 15:04

Scotland Yard was moved to it's new site and became New Scotland Yard in 1890, Scotland Yard  was originally formed in 1829 at 4 Whitehall Place.

Power of advertisement was revealed long time ago Vlad,do not neglect this fact here!I believe if we searched Sherlock  cases  from  books and compare them with Scotland Yard cases will find big similarities.
Dostoevsky did the same.He wrote his live.Russia used it as manual for detectives in Russia.Psycho analyst of human criminal behavior in "Crime and Punishment",he was Arthur C. Doyle in Russia.
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2012 at 15:18

Power of advertisement was revealed long time ago Vlad,do not neglect this fact here!I believe if we searched Sherlock  cases  from  books and compare them with Scotland Yard cases will find big similarities.
Dostoevsky did the same.He wrote his live.Russia used it as manual for detectives in Russia.Psycho analyst of human criminal behavior in "Crime and Punishment",he was Arthur C. Doyle in Russia.
He was definitely interested in real life crime, and got involved in some cases, so I'm guessing that there's a good chance elements from those found there way into his stories. 
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2012 at 15:32
How many movies in Hollywood today have been ordered by churches,political parties,social groups&movements etc...?How many ancient dramas&operas&songs did they order with purposes?We have been always "manipulated" Alani,by written word and multimedia devices:Games,Actors,Gladiators etc..etc...Our profession today was triggered by books&movies&songs we have listened during our youth and after.It is not only altruism in front.There were lot of Top Shop shows among it.Look at TV serials today:firemen,policemen,lawyers,doctors,soldiers from all types,etc...It was the same those days.
First it was "Iraqi Gold" than war in Iraq,wasn't it!Somehow world becomes predictable,isn't it?
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2012 at 15:40

How many movies in Hollywood today have been ordered by churches,political parties,social groups&movements etc...?How many ancient dramas&operas&songs did they order with purposes?We have been always "manipulated" Alani,by written word and multimedia devices:Games,Actors,Gladiators etc..etc...Our profession today was triggered by books&movies&songs we have listened during our youth and after.It is not only altruism in front.There were lot of Top Shop shows among it.Look at TV serials today:firemen,policemen,lawyers,doctors,soldiers from all types,etc...It was the same those days.
First it was "Iraqi Gold" than war in Iraq,wasn't it!Somehow world becomes predictable,isn't it?
Indeed, medenaywe, the more things change the more they stay the same. Not that we should accept such a situation or the abuse it suggests politically or socially.
Vladd View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Vladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2012 at 04:17

Anyone interested in Holmes here's a little something I threw together.

http://www.scoop.it/t/sherlock-holmes-consulting-detective

AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2012 at 12:31

Anyone interested in Holmes here's a little something I threw together.

http://www.scoop.it/t/sherlock-holmes-consulting-detective

That's really good Vladd, have you heard of this Sherlock fan site?
Vladd View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Vladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2012 at 06:51
Thanks will check it out :)
Vladd View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Vladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2012 at 08:37
 Post Reply Post Reply