Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Romans vs Stormtroopers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
okamido View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended, tit for tat

Online Status: Offline
  Quote okamido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Romans vs Stormtroopers
    Posted: 15-Sep-2012 at 14:45
I think that Alani is using common sense, as this very scenario has played out many times in history. Aztecs, Zulu, the Matabi war in Rhodesia. Superior weaponry will alter the psycological make up of a situation, and scatter a superior force. 
The moment that the legionaries were 'touched by Vulcan', they would scatter.
Delenda est Roma View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2012 at 14:59
I don't see it. Its not common sense they probably wont run.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2012 at 20:26
Originally posted by Delenda est Roma

Not when there are 5,000 Romans and 20 Germans....
Itll be a pitiful battle really. They could just kill them with arrows or slings or ballista. Or just overwhelm them. The first people to use gunpowder didn't really suprise anyone. The Romans had liquid fire and numerous much scarier weapons. Anyway most Romans wouldn't hear the guns anyway as they charge. It would literally be impossible to hear the shots of 20 guns over the sounds of 5,000 charging men.

Were Roman slings and arrows powerful enough to outrange the Germans' rifles?
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2012 at 20:30
The ballista mightve been able to. But where is the battle taking place?
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2012 at 21:20

It doesn't matter. Use common sense.
Superstition can be a very tricky one when dealing with common sense, as it does not always follow that one necessitates the other, and what we might consider to be a common sense decision, or call, may not necessarily be so clear cut for others.  
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2012 at 21:31
Well it is here. They have huge advantages versus the Germans. They could just starve the Germans out if they wanted....

Dig a system iof trenches as they do in sieges...
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2012 at 22:02

Well it is here. They have huge advantages versus the Germans. They could just starve the Germans out if they wanted....

All of those things are all well and good, Delenda est Roma, but with the potential of so much of our technology to be seen as possessing supernatural powers, that superiority it numbers isn't automatically a deal clincher. Are you aware of an incidents of Roman armies when going into battle suddenly seeing those they are about to take on as possessing god like powers?
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2012 at 22:24
Nope not all. Any scientific study gives this to the Romans they have all the physical advanatges.
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2012 at 22:43

Nope not all. Any scientific study gives this to the Romans they have all the physical advanatges.
You have a scientific study on the reactions of Roman soldiers to the exposure to seemingly god like powers? Personally I've not even heard of any scientific evidence backing up the existence of any deity, yet supposedly Romans believed that deities stalked their very existence. Are you like the Romans, Delenda est Roma, do you believe that you are being watched from every shadow and stalked now by deities? 

Edit: Oops, sorry, forgot the last sentence. Should have added the following: If you were like the Romans then you might understand where they are coming from in regards to their beliefs. 

Edited by TheAlaniDragonRising - 16-Sep-2012 at 00:03
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2012 at 23:10
Wow you've gone to far. Goodbye.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2012 at 00:12
Originally posted by TheAlaniDragonRising

You have a scientific study on the reactions of Roman soldiers to the exposure to seemingly god like powers? Personally I've not even heard of any scientific evidence backing up the existence of any deity, yet supposedly Romans believed that deities stalked their very existence. Are you like the Romans, Delenda est Roma, do you believe that you are being watched from every shadow and stalked now by deities? 

Delenda, you can serioudly blindside him by providing refs/souces for those studies.

Alani, what? Are you making tiswin too?  Cool your jets my friend.  Considering the content, or rather, the lack of it, you might have the makings of a Presidential Press Sec.  It takes skill to string words together so they look and sound good,  But you really haven't said a damn thing.  Google-Ron Nessin.
Alani, you only get one unofficial warning from me,  this is it.  Don't Muck it up. 

AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2012 at 00:24
Enough said, red. Anyway no one could ever accuse me of stringing enough words together to sound good.
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2012 at 00:56
I meant that physically the Romans have all in their favor. With 5,000 bodies thry can easily starve out the Germans or simply take them by assault. Guns don't make people gods. The Native Americans did not mistake the Whites for gods that was false. Men who have nevwr seen guns do not think their beholders gods but mere men.

Will you stay within bounds Alani?
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2012 at 06:02

I meant that physically the Romans have all in their favor. With 5,000 bodies thry can easily starve out the Germans or simply take them by assault. Guns don't make people gods. The Native Americans did not mistake the Whites for gods that was false. Men who have nevwr seen guns do not think their beholders gods but mere men.

Will you stay within bounds Alani?
Obviously my lack of a decent education has shown me for what I am again, Delenda est Roma, as incompetent, and someone who is easily made to look stupid when presented with someone such as you with a superior intellect and reasoning. As for bounds, Delenda est Roma, I am too stupid even now to understand where I have overstepped them by accident. It's probably best from now on for me to stick to those areas on this site the mindless like myself cannot get themselves so confused so easily.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2012 at 19:02
Guys, don't take this too seriously. It's just a bit of fun
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2012 at 14:40
Alani, give it a rest.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2012 at 19:37

If the Romans resorted to trench warfare it would give the stormtroopers a huge advantage. They could launch hit-and-run attacks on the Romans, then mow them down with machine-gun fire if they tried to counterattack. Even if the Romans did cross the barbed wire and didn't drown in the mud, the Germans would simply fall back to the support trench and the legion would be back to square one
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2012 at 20:30
No quite simply the Germans would starve to death. The Romans wouldn't have to lift a finger.
Mountain Man View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2012 at 17:12
Originally posted by Nick1986

A squad of stormtroopers find themselves transported back to the Iron Age and are taken in by the local Goth chieftain. Their mission: defend the Fatherland from Roman invasion and capture a gold eagle. Between them and the Gothic reinforcements is a whole Roman legion. Can the Stormtroopers hold off the Romans long enough for more Goths to arrive, or will the discipline of the legion triumph?

Stormtroopers

Luger pistol
Mauser box cannon
Mauser rifle
Bergmann submachine-gun
Madsen machine gun
Potato masher grenade
Bayonet
Knife
Trench club
Shovel

Romans

Gladius
Pilum
Bow
Sling
Lorica segmentata armor
Shield
Who wins?

Depends.  Ammo?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2012 at 19:44
Originally posted by Mountain Man

Originally posted by Nick1986

A squad of stormtroopers find themselves transported back to the Iron Age and are taken in by the local Goth chieftain. Their mission: defend the Fatherland from Roman invasion and capture a gold eagle. Between them and the Gothic reinforcements is a whole Roman legion. Can the Stormtroopers hold off the Romans long enough for more Goths to arrive, or will the discipline of the legion triumph?

Stormtroopers

Luger pistol
Mauser box cannon
Mauser rifle
Bergmann submachine-gun
Madsen machine gun
Potato masher grenade
Bayonet
Knife
Trench club
Shovel

Romans

Gladius
Pilum
Bow
Sling
Lorica segmentata armor
Shield
Who wins?

Depends.  Ammo?

Each stormtrooper has full ammo pouches and grenades. The squad also brought a few crates of ammo to resupply
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12