Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Properties of Minorities

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Properties of Minorities
    Posted: 07-Mar-2013 at 05:00
*"There are only 34 churches and 18 schools left in Turkey today, mostly in Istanbul"
*"Recent research pegs the number of Armenian churches in Turkey before 1915 at around 2,300. The number of schools before 1915 is estimated at nearly 700"
and he is adding that; "These numbers are only for churches and schools under the jurisdiction of the Istanbul Armenian Patriarchate and the Apostolic Church, and therefore do not include the numerous churches and schools belonging to the Protestant and Catholic Armenian parishes."
http://www.armenianweekly.com/2011/08/01/searching-for-lost-armenian-churches-and-schools-in-turkey/  (Bedrosyan: Searching for Lost Armenian Churches and Schools in Turkey)

And writer is asking that;
"Where are these lost or stolen Armenian churches in Turkey? How many were there before 1915, the turning point in the Armenians’ world, when they were uprooted and wiped out from their homeland of more than 3,000 years? How many churches are there now?"

This attitude makes me crazy. I am wondering that is he making empathy?

*According to the Caucasus Calendar of 1870, a statistical report published by the Russian Viceroyalty of the Caucasus, there were a total of 269 Shia mosques in the territory of Erivan Governorate, most of which now comprises the Republic of Armenia. (I am not adding sunni mosques)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mosques_in_Armenia

*How many of them do still exist? I could just find one "Blue Mosque, Yerevan"
Simple Maths     Exist Church-Mosque number / Past Number
Armenia:1/269     = 0.0037174 Mosque
Turkey  :34/2300 = 0.0147826 Church       so,  Turkey Wins

*At the end, I am also a real Anatolian like a most of modern Turk. I am have a heritage with medieval Armenian, Byzantine Greeks and People in Gobekli Tepe. That's why, here is also my homeland.

Mosques which were taken from muslim minorities. They are using for different purpose now. 
Athens, Greece
Crete, Greece
Thessaloniki, Greece
Nafplio, Greece
Nafplio, Greece
Cyprus
Larissa, Greece
Monemvasia, Greece

Abandoned Mosques
Ioannina, Greece
Lesvos, Greece
Lesvos, Greece
 Crimea, Ukraine
Crimea, Ukraine
Caesarea, Israel
Tiberias, Israel

Converted Churches from Mosques

Kavala, Greece
Lesvos, Greece
Akhaltsikhe, Georgia
Pecs, Hungary
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now Turkey

Armenian Cathedral of the Holy Cross,
Now museum

Hagia Irene
Church (Greek), Now museum and concert hall

Diyarbakır Armenian Church. After the reconstruction, it is a real church now.

Assyrian Catholic Church in İskenderun/Alexandratte(near Antioch), it was built in 1885 but after 1950 it used as a cinema. Now it returns own minority.

But of course, not each abandoned church can be design a church again.

İt is a mosque now.

near Ayvalık
and some of them, probably always stay as abandoned

ALL İS NORMAL

before cry, yell or blame, make emphatyWink
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
there were many Armenian churches in Anatolia and also as you can guess,  not all of them have been able to survive.
My point is this; do you think all of them should reconstruct and turn to real a church?

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 07-Mar-2013 at 09:15
Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2013 at 09:03
Is there a need for them? Will they be  protected as Muslim Mosques for their worshipers? Is there real freedom of religion for minorities?  What is their current legal state? Are they private or state property?

These are questions causally connected.

As for what happened to them? The same thing that always happens to losers in history. Secondary status. If that. Redistribution or destruction of property. It's not a new phenomena.

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 07-Mar-2013 at 09:59
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2013 at 03:43
Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis

Is there a need for them? Will they be  protected as Muslim Mosques for their worshipers? Is there real freedom of religion for minorities?  What is their current legal state? Are they private or state property?

These are questions causally connected.

As for what happened to them? The same thing that always happens to losers in history. Secondary status. If that. Redistribution or destruction of property. It's not a new phenomena.

You are missing my point. The problem in here is not about freedom of belief. If there is 10.000 hellenic pagans in Istanbul. There should be one Zeus Temple. People should be able to go there and worship. It is not problem.

My point is how someone be a blind as much as this guy? He doesn't know anything about did Armenia  protect own muslim heritage or not? But he can ask Armenian churches in Turkey. As I figured in previous post. Turkey restorated churches and some of them return back own minorities, but using all of them as churches (they don't have much believer) is madness. I have same opinion in abandoned mosques case. Not all of them can be restorated or turned again a mosque.
Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2013 at 20:55
Ok firstly there all as bad as each other, churches have closed in Turkey, mosques have been shut in Greece and Armenia. Nobody has a foot to stand on really. 

Regarding churches in Turkey, surely that figure is wrong, there are many churches, I've visited more than that number quoted, from big Catholic cathedrals, to Greek Orthodox churches, to lovely Assyrian Monastries in Mardin/Midyat. 

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Post Reply Post Reply