Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Chinese dialects

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chinese dialects
    Posted: 03-Sep-2004 at 00:06
Chinese dialects are so different, they are like languages in their own.  Can someone tell me if they are all related or if some of them belong to different language groups?  I've heard recently rumors that Woo (shanghainese) might actually be Altaic!
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2004 at 00:46

Hey Gubukjanggoon,

I think it's safe to say that all Chinese dialects (Manchurian, Mongolian, and some other excluded) are all Sino-Tibetan language family.  At least that's what I remembered from class.  The common writing system help the different dialects in conforming to each other to a large extent.

Peace,

Michael

9-2-2004

battleaxe View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote battleaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2004 at 16:14

Yeah MengTzu's probably right about most chinese languages being sino-tibetan...besides Mongolian and Manchurian the Uighur language in Xinjiang is definitely Altaic tho, it's Turkic.

Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2004 at 17:49
Manchurian is dying out NO?  I heard that there arn't many speakers left, being that Most Manchus now speak mandirin....
General_Zhaoyun View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote General_Zhaoyun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2004 at 09:40

You can check up the following threads at China History Forum.. I believe you can learn more about chinese dialects there:

http://s7.invisionfree.com/China_History_Forum/index.php?sho wtopic=226

http://s7.invisionfree.com/China_History_Forum/index.php?sho wtopic=835

Edited by General_Zhaoyun
Founder of China History Forum
hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2004 at 08:20

Well, define the word Chinese XD

Actually there are languages other than Manchurian, Mongolian and Uyghur that does not share the same writting with the Han chinese.  Especially alone the southeast border.

Begging plea of the weak can only receive disrespect, violence and oppression as bestowments. Blood and sweat of the weak can only receive insult, blame and abuse as rewards.

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2004 at 05:28
Hi hansioux,what languages would these be?As far as i know S/E Chinese has long been using the Han script just as the rest of Han China.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2004 at 05:39

Originally posted by Gubukjanggoon

I've heard recently rumors that Woo (shanghainese) might actually be Altaic!

Hi Gubuk where did u hear these rumors from?Being a native speaker of Woo,I find this claime to be interesting.

hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2004 at 18:55

Originally posted by nyan

Hi hansioux,what languages would these be?As far as i know S/E Chinese has long been using the Han script just as the rest of Han China.

Those people who aren't Hanized yet.  Such as Miao, Yi, Yue, Yao and many more minorities.

The land of China was full of non-Han people.  Such as Manchurians, the Bo people that were massacred in Ming dynasty and so on.

Begging plea of the weak can only receive disrespect, violence and oppression as bestowments. Blood and sweat of the weak can only receive insult, blame and abuse as rewards.

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet
warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2004 at 19:14

The Miao, Yi, Yue are all over the south not just the southeast, Yunnan has the most ethnic minorities.

Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2004 at 19:52
I heard the Woo Altaic thing from the China history forum...I think...It was just a tenative theory there though.
hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2004 at 08:46

Originally posted by Gubukjanggoon

I heard the Woo Altaic thing from the China history forum...I think...It was just a tenative theory there though.

Very posible.

There is a big problem while discussing Asian histories.  That is the name of Wu or any name for that matter maybe used to generalize people who lives in that area, even after the original people.

Such as the Koguryo issue, where the Dong-Yi or Yi in ancient times and later in Chou dynasty, Han dynasty and dynasties after that can refer to totally different people.

In this case, it is obvious to me that they are referring to Wu people of the K (Chuen-Chuo) era.  Judging my their language, it is probably true they are Altaic.  However, Wu is used to refer to people of that area.  That causes serious confusions.... and argument where not needed. 

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet
 Post Reply Post Reply