Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Greatest General

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lannes View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Lannes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greatest General
    Posted: 05-Sep-2004 at 19:29

Who was the greatest Roman General?  Keep in mind that a good general is one that has good tactical ability, is an able leader of men, and is someone who has a good grip of overall strategy.

A few noteworthies(with brief descriptions):

Quintus Fabius Maximus( Cunctator):  This is the man that was made famous by his strategy of avoiding a pitched battle with Hannibal.  His strategical theories were highly revered by the Romans, and were standard practice for a long period of time.

Marcus Licinius Crassus:  Though he had major mistakes in his Parthian Campaign, Crassus undoubtedly showed ability as a commander when he systematically destroyed Spartacus' Slave Army.

Gnaeus Domitius Corbulo:  Most of the successes of this highly renowed ist Century AD commander came from wars in Germany and Armenia.  Nero so feared Corbulo as a rival, that he ordered him to commit suicide.

Belisarius:  One of the skilled cavalry commanders of the Roman Armies of Late Antiquity.  His most noteable successes came in his campaigns on the Persian Frontier, in Africa, and in Italy.

Gaius Marius:  Traditionally, Gaius Marius gets the credit for converting Rome's Army from a Citizen Militia into the Professional Army.  He  had victories against Jugurtha and the migrating CImbri, but was later involved in the First Civil War.

Narses:  Initially sent as support to Belisarius, Narses soon found fame of his own on the battlefield.  He had victories at Taginae and Casilinium.  It should be noted that he made much more effective use of his infantry than Belisarius did his.

Publius Cornelius Scipio Africanus:  Certainly one of the more innovative Roman Commanders, and widely considered the best Roman Coammnder of the Second Punic War.  His most famous successes came in the Second Punic war when he destroyed the Carthaginians in Spain, and moved thewar to Africa, where he defeated Hannibal.  He also had success in Gaul, and against the Seleucids.

Publius Cornelius Scipio Aemilianus:  Was noted for his service in Spain early in the Third Punic War.  Later in the war, he received command in Africa, and played a large role in the destruction of Carthage.  He also had success against Numantia.

Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus:  He had noteable success in his various posts in places like Sicily, Spain, and Africa.  He also completed the defeat of Mithridates, but would later go on to be defeated in the Civil War.

Publius Cornelius Sulla-  Sulla is famous for being the first Roman General to march on Riome.  He had major successes when he put down the Pontic Invasion of Greece, leading him to declare himself dictator.

(Note that all Emperors have been excluded.  Please do not post an Emperor or Usurper as your pick.)

Edited by Lannes
τρέφεται δέ, ὤ Σώκρατης, ψυχὴ τίνι;
fastspawn View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote fastspawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2004 at 23:22

who was the roman general that was declared dictator for a couple of days, defeated the invasion, and prompty resigned from dictatorship?

Lannes View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Lannes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2004 at 09:39
Originally posted by fastspawn

who was the roman general that was declared dictator for a couple of days, defeated the invasion, and prompty resigned from dictatorship?

That would be Cincinnatus.  He had ben called upon to defeat the Aequi, and did so in 16 days, after which, he went back to his farms.

TJK View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TJK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2004 at 09:55

Camillus

Quintus Sertorius

Lucius Licinius Lucullus

Marcellus

Flavius Stilicho

Flavius Aetius

Edited to add Camillus...

Edited by TJK
Imperatore Dario I View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Imperatore Dario I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2004 at 10:32

Gordian III! I love Gordian III. Well, yes, he was a Roman emperor, but he was a general as well. He gained the throne at the age of thirteen, and soon, the Sassanian Empire invaded Rome's eastern provinces, led by Shapur I (The Great). He defeated Shapur and drove his forces back to Persia, though he was later assassinated by Phillip the Arab, who assumed the throne after his death. After Gordian's death, he was treated to a funeral celebrating the Sassanian defeat, and honoring the Emperor.

Let there be a race of Romans with the strength of Italian courage.- Virgil's Aeneid
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2004 at 11:59
Umm ..isn't your list missing probably the most famous one?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2004 at 13:29

Maybe one Caius Iulis Caesar?

You are forgetting also Marcellus.

Edited by Catn
Lannes View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Lannes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2004 at 14:55
Originally posted by Catn

Maybe one Caius Iulis Caesar?

You are forgetting also Marcellus.

Err, I was just listing a few commanders to give people some ideas....

My list certainly didn't list all the talented Roman Commanders, as it wasn't aimed to do so.  Simply provided to give some food for thought.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2004 at 15:48

My post had no intention for criticism. Just to add some elements for discussion.

Imperatore Dario I View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Imperatore Dario I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2004 at 18:34
I'm getting obsessed with His Majesty, Imperator Gordian III. LOL, oh well.

Let there be a race of Romans with the strength of Italian courage.- Virgil's Aeneid
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2004 at 20:36

This is one of the most incredible things in the history that men who were lawyers, orators and politicians and didnt have big military past were becoming great generals and conquerors. For them (i mean generals of republican Rome) their army was nothing more but just a tool to get monay, fame or even power. Most of them didnt even think about tiding life with the army. It wasnt their goal to spent life on the battlefields on in camps. But somehow, they were winning battles, conquering countries and foreign nations, defeating much bigger enemy forces. Affcourse everyone of them was in the army before, as the young boy or even minor commander. But usually their military experiences were short, their ranks often only honorary.

As for the generals listed above i think that especially one name is not well known by everyone. Quintus Sertorius

This man had to be one of the greatest military talents of his century. It is a pity that was murdered because i belive that the war between him and Pompey would be really interesting. Of them 2 - i would bet monay for Sertorius.

I remember iv read that after long time which he and his troops spent in Spain his legions were no longer using classic roman tactics but rather adopted tactics of local tribes. If he had more time he would probably organise Spain into state (what he already almost did) and maybe even march on Rome. I think there are many similarities between him and Caesar.

Edited by Mosquito
Jr_Capablanca View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Jr_Capablanca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2004 at 05:04

Hello!
What about Dillius Vocula, who fought against the batavians? But perhaps he didn`t play a that important role in history... Nevertheless, I thought he deseved to be mentioned.

/Capa

faram View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote faram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2004 at 16:37

Why not the emperors? Julius Caesar Julius Caesar Germanicus and Sertorius are my favourites.

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2004 at 14:44
Belisarius!
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
white dragon View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote white dragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2004 at 15:19
belisarius kicked but as did africanus(scipio)
 Post Reply Post Reply