Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Will Russia ever become part of the EU?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Will Russia ever become part of the EU?
    Posted: 21-Nov-2005 at 08:09
I have no clue, what do you think? And would such a development be a good thing?
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2005 at 08:28

I remember one European diplomat saying:

''If you look at the map,it would not be Russia joining the EU,rather The EU joining Russia''

ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

oTToMAn_TurK View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote oTToMAn_TurK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2005 at 08:50

lol, thats a good one, Diplomat

Russia just would never want to join the EU... its a long time european rival and wuold do anything to avoid any political or economical alliance with the west in my opionion. After the breakup up of the USSR the Russians established the CIS (commonwealth of independant states) which the members wer mainly of former-soviet republics. although today this treaty is declining and Russia is now interested in joining the OIC (organisation of Islamic Conferences). This shows that Russia will avoid Europe at any cost.

Either your a slave to what MADE-MAN
Or your a slave to what MAN-MADE
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2005 at 09:59
I think not. Russia is still a powerful country. They definitely don't need to join the EU.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2005 at 10:44
Russia would probably like to join EU but EU thinks it's just too large not to unbalance it. Notice that Russia has almost 200 million people while EU is around the 300 million. Russia alone would have such a democratic weight that would be decissive in most EU decissions.

Besides, due to Siberia, Russia also has many Asian interests that the EU doesn't.

Finally the economic, political and sociological situation of Russia don't seem to fit well in EU. And anyhow, I think that, apart of Albania and former Yugoslavian countries, no further EU expansions should be expected in a long time. EU has already absorbed many newcomers and has now to face its own internal problems. Hopefully this process will end in a reinforced and more democratic confederation but this is still something that must be adressed and that will take many years, maybe decades to complete.

Till then, EU is likely to stay as it is, with the possible exception of Balcanic nations, once their main problems are reasonably solved, and of the few non-comunitarian western European countries like Norway, Switzerland or Iceland if they decide to join.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Suspended

Quote Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2005 at 11:21
Another problem with Russia's joining the EU is its poverty. The EU was originally founded as an economic confederation. For Russia to join the EU, the European nations would have to spend lots of their hard-earned wealth to pull Russia out of the rut. The EU could stand to accept small nations in poverty, because their small size makes them easier to pull out of poverty. However, Russia is a huge country with a huge population. So, for the EU to even consider Russia, it will have to do some improving by itself.
Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2005 at 14:19
And you would also have to lure the Russian people out of loving autocracy. i have heard democracy is a big part in getting to be a EU member.
There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2005 at 15:40

I think it's a forgone conclusion.

Russia is the EU's single largest investment. The Russian economy has been floated by EU money for the last 15 years, it's the reason Russia survived the economic collapse of the late eighties.

And the reason the EU's doing it is not out of charity. Russia's sitting on the largest mineral, oil and gas resources on earth.

However Russia's far from ready politically or economically, but will be in 20 years. Meanwhile in an almost Aztec strategy the EU's surrounding Russia. Baltic State, Balkans, Turkey, Ukraine next and possibly on to Geoargia and Azerbijan (maybe not full members but definately special trade partners, same as Switzerland, Norway, Iceland and co) Belarus will tumble after the Ukraine and finally Russia...... and then god help the rest of the world.

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2005 at 17:11
As long as Poland is a member of EU and will have anything to say about this idea.... Russia wont become a member of EU. You guys need first to kick our arses out of this organisation.
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2005 at 19:06
OK, so what would either side have to gain from such a union? Who would gain more?
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2005 at 19:15

Originally posted by Mosquito

As long as Poland is a member of EU and will have anything to say about this idea.... Russia wont become a member of EU. You guys need first to kick our arses out of this organisation.

I've thought that for a long time totally unconnected to Russia. I've very little respect for the Polish government.

All Poland really does is sponge money from the richer EU countries, complain we want more and when the countries that have kept their economy afloat need something from them says sorry can't help too busy brown tongue-ing the US.

Russians are stubborn but at least they're proud.

Edited by Paul
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2005 at 20:51
Originally posted by Paul

I've thought that for a long time totally unconnected to Russia. I've very little respect for the Polish government.

All Poland really does is sponge money from the richer EU countries, complain we want more and when the countries that have kept their economy afloat need something from them says sorry can't help too busy brown tongue-ing the US.

Considering the fact that Poland gets from EU  about 1/10 of monay that gets for example Spain I wouldnt overestimate economic help of EU for Poland. We can really live without it. I dont deny that we take as much as we can but it doesnt change the fact that we are far from the top of the list.

Post Reply Post Reply