Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Could Kerry Make Euro-American Relations Worse?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Could Kerry Make Euro-American Relations Worse?
    Posted: 25-Oct-2004 at 21:32
Kerry May Be Rude Awakening for Europe - Think-Tank

Mon Oct 25,11:59 AM ET
Add to My Yahoo!  Politics - Reuters

By Erik Kirschbaum

BERLIN (Reuters) - Far from instantly healing transatlantic tensions, a John Kerry (news - web sites) presidency could present Europeans with an agonizing new dilemma on Iraq (news - web sites), the head of a leading think-tank said Monday.

Special Coverages
Latest Headlines:
Bush and Kerry Spar Over Iraq, Security
AP - 16 minutes ago
Clinton Hails Kerry in Surgery Comeback
AP - 29 minutes ago
Broadcaster Donates $325,000 to GOP
AP - 35 minutes ago

All Election Coverage

William Drozdiak, executive director of the German Marshall Fund's Transatlantic Center in Brussels, said a gap between Europe and the United States was growing wider due to sharply divergent views on security after the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks.

He predicted Germany and other European governments might be in for a rude awakening if they secretly hoped for better ties with a Kerry administration than with President Bush (news - web sites).

Drozdiak said Kerry, a Democratic senator from Massachusetts who is challenging Bush in next week's election, would press Europeans hard to join the U.S. efforts in Iraq.

"If they were to say 'no' to Kerry, the risk of a backlash against Europe in America would be large," he told a group of journalists in Berlin, adding Europeans were failing to grasp the "pervasive paranoia" over security in the United States.

"There would then be a risk of a systemic rupture. Americans would say: 'We can't depend on Europe even though we protected Europe for 50 years'. It will cause lasting damage to the relationship, a great sense of disillusionment."

Successive German governments since the late 1940s have had close ties with U.S. administrations. But relations were strained two years ago when Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder, joined by France, loudly opposed U.S. plans to invade Iraq.

Both Schroeder and Bush have taken steps to repair some of the damage, but Germany's refusal to help in Iraq remains a sore spot. Schroeder's "no" to Iraq is popular with most Germans.

"It would be very hard for a German chancellor to turn his back if Kerry were to make an appeal that the survival of the German-American partnership depends on support in Iraq," Drozdiak said. "It could be a serious blow and get relations ... off to a bad start."

The German Marshall Fund polled Europeans in nine nations and found 76 percent disapproved of Bush's handling of world affairs. Four in five said Iraq was not worth the cost.

Drozdiak said it was possible relations with Europe in a second Bush administration would get better. He said the importance of German and French cooperation with the United States on Iraq went beyond sending troops.

"It's not a question of a few thousand troops, it's getting legitimacy," he said. "It's not just the manpower, but it's wanting to build an alliance.

"The most important contribution of troops could come from Muslim countries, from India, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia and maybe even Egypt. That could refute the aims of the insurgents."

I thought this was an interesting perspective on what Kerry might do to Euro-American relations with his promised attempts to bring other nations into Iraq.

Member of IAEA
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2004 at 07:59

Other nations will go to Iraq once Kerry legotimizes his request in the UN.

If the UN and not the US ask, other nations will follow...

Edited by Yiannis
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2004 at 20:49
or will they? I personalyl dont think it will make a difference as far as US-Europe relations are concerned.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2004 at 05:56
Yes, I think they ('we') will. At least in Holland the general opinion is that the Dutch should stay in Iraq, but only under UN flag.
Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2004 at 17:03

I do believe that the relationships with the EU will improve.

As well as relationships with Mexico. If Kerry wins, I hope he will remove to Tony Garza as the US Ambassador in Mexico.

I haven't seen an injerensist ambassador as he is in a long time.

Edited by Jalisco Lancer
John Doe View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote John Doe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2004 at 17:19
injerensist ?
Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2004 at 18:11

I was trying to say that ambassador Garza loves to make statement about our internal affairs.

He's positions is an open interference to our local policies. Specially, when the goverment pressured by the public opinion did not supported to the US at the UN when Irak was invaded.

Post Reply Post Reply