Print Page | Close Window

Sea Peoples

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: Regional History or Period History
Forum Name: Ancient Mediterranean and Europe
Forum Discription: Greece, Macedon, Rome and other cultures such as Celtic and Germanic tribes
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1400
Printed Date: 18-May-2024 at 14:44
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Sea Peoples
Posted By: vagabond
Subject: Sea Peoples
Date Posted: 02-Dec-2004 at 00:51

In the 12th century BCE, Egypt, the East coast of the Mediterranean and perhaps the Hittite kingdom were invaded by the "Sea Peoples". It was at about this time that the Hittite Kingdom fell, that Ugarit was destroyed, and that the smaller kingdoms sprang up across the region from various semitic tribes: Israelites, Edomites, Moabites, Midianites, Arameans and Ammonites. It is also about this time that the Philistines first appear. There are a number of theories about who they were and where they came from.

Below are links to several sites that address the question.

http://www.reshafim.org.il/ad/egypt/sea_peoples.htm - http://www.reshafim.org.il/ad/egypt/sea_peoples.htm

http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/seapeople.htm - http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/seapeople.htm

http://home.nycap.rr.com/foxmob/sea_peoples.htm - http://home.nycap.rr.com/foxmob/sea_peoples.htm

What do you think?  Who were the Sea Peoples?  Where did they come from and where did they finally settle?

-------------
In the time of your life, live - so that in that wonderous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it. (Saroyan)

Replies:
Posted By: coolstorm
Date Posted: 02-Dec-2004 at 09:37

this is my guess,

they were the survivors of the lost civilization, atlantas.

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 03-Dec-2004 at 00:19
Well I once heard a roumour that they could have been the survivors of Atlantis. But they were probably refering to the Philistines who were probably decended from the phoencians or maybe the Atlantians. Or they could be refering to the Isralites who at this time were conquering canaan which is in the middle of Hittite and Egyptian countries. The Isralites also battled and deafeated armies of the Hittities and Egyptians in a number of battles.

-------------

Posted By: Yiannis
Date Posted: 03-Dec-2004 at 06:34

Originally posted by Aucatag

The Isralites also battled and deafeated armies of the Hittities and Egyptians in a number of battles.

No they didn't. Unless you know something we don't 

-------------
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Posted By: Cornellia
Date Posted: 03-Dec-2004 at 07:17

I doubt they were survivors of Atlantis since it was just a literary device created by Plato.

But IIRC, the Sea Peoples did not appear to be just one group of people and they do have the feeling of being refugees.  Its possible that turmoil in and around the Mediterranean caused the displacement of a large group of people who were looking for a home.

-------------
Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas

Date Posted: 03-Dec-2004 at 14:11

Another excellent resource on the Sea Peoples from Penn State University

http://www.courses.psu.edu/cams/cams400w_aek11/www/ - http://www.courses.psu.edu/cams/cams400w_aek11/www/

-------------
In the time of your life, live - so that in that wonderous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it. (Saroyan)

Posted By: cattus
Date Posted: 03-Dec-2004 at 23:59
Interesting pics in that PSU site,thanks.

Posted By: Tobodai
Date Posted: 06-Dec-2004 at 00:52
hahahahaha...Atlantis.  Im pretty sure they didnt come from there as there is no proof whatsoever there was ever such a thing as an atlantis!!!!  People that beleive in Atlantis get me almost as angry as Kennedy assasination theories of conspiracy do!

-------------
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton

Posted By: Romano Nero
Date Posted: 06-Dec-2004 at 03:17

extremely interesting site, vagabond. I'll check out the data it provides and later I might comment on it. But it has a great wealth of info. I have bought a book about the sea people in my summer book-stash expedition (books-for-the-holidays) but it is among those I still haven't gotten the time to read.

I will try to start it in the next few days though 

Posted By: Cywr
Date Posted: 09-Dec-2004 at 11:56
Weren't the sea people thought to be Minoans?

-------------
Arrrgh!!"

Posted By: Romano Nero
Date Posted: 10-Dec-2004 at 08:16
The Minoans, the Pelasgians, the Trojans, some Greeks, the lost tribes of Israel... no, the last was just a joke... like Atlantis (maybe the came from Lemuria though ) ...a host of theories have been proposed for the mysterious raiders who ravaged the eastern mediteranean.

Posted By: J.M.Finegold
Date Posted: 11-Dec-2004 at 22:21
Parts of the Sea People were made up of a people called the Sherden, who would later give their name to Sardinia - thier name appears in a couple of stelae built by Ramesses II - a contingent of 520 fought for Ramesses II at Kadesh in 1275.

-------------

Posted By: pytheas
Date Posted: 15-Dec-2004 at 13:46
The Sea People seems to be a mixture of several groups that could include the ancestors of the Minoans, Other pre-Greek cultures of the eastern Med. that formed the foundations for the Asiatic Greeks of Anatolia.  The idea of Atlantis probably has its origins in this movement of people.  We could liken this population movement to others like the Celts, Germanic tribes, Vikings.  All had things in common--Uprooted from their homeland by either natural (Celts/Germans) events or socio-political events (Vikings).  Where they went, they spread pannic amongts their neighbors and caused turmoil throughout whole regions that later gave rise to great civilizations in their own right.  (ie: The Normans, Visigoths, Franks, Anglo-Saxons, Carthage, America(?) )

-------------
Truth is a variant based upon perception. Ignorance is derived from a lack of insight into others' perspectives.

Date Posted: 15-Dec-2004 at 19:33

Good evening

Perhaps it was the Vikings, they did sail in to Palestine in the 1000s-1200s.

Feel free to ask me for proof.

Date Posted: 15-Dec-2004 at 20:14
Originally posted by Herodotus II

Good evening

1000 A.D.?  Sea People's invaded the Middle East ca. 2500 B.C.

-------------

Date Posted: 16-Dec-2004 at 01:46
It would be an interesting thread to discuss the different possible origins of Atlantis and why possiblly there could be a shard of truth even to the most faciful myths.  As marine geologists have recently discovered, not mention Marine archaeologist Robert Ballard's (found the Titantic) recent surveys in the Black Sea regarding the truth behind the Great Flood.  Was it the same flood that Noah was warned of that threatened Gilgamesh in Ur?  Very likey, if we attempt to link a relative date to the two traditions, we can see that they originate from around the same time period.  Myths are how prehistoric people communicated their culture and stories of their past.  Also, we can look to the Greeks, Egyptians, and Judeo-Christian/Muslims. 

-------------
Truth is a variant based upon perception. Ignorance is derived from a lack of insight into others' perspectives.

Date Posted: 16-Dec-2004 at 19:53
Well, it is very possible that Atlantis was an existing 'continent', however, it's more likely it was just another island - sort of like the British Isles - which were merely covered with water when the water level rose (also causing the Persian Gulf to extend farther into Iraq, as you see it now, and other coastlines do to pretty much the same).  I don't know the extent of the truth concerning how advance they were however.

-------------

Date Posted: 18-Dec-2004 at 00:41

I have trouble crediting anything about Atlantis as being anything other than a myth - propagated by several ancient writers who each elaborated on the existing myth for their own purposes.  There is an excellent article, with references to all the ancient sources, in the Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD) - online at Perseus : http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/ptext?doc=Perseus%3Atext%3A1999.04.0064%3Aid%3Datlantis - http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/ptext?doc=Perseus%3Atex t%3A1999.04.0064%3Aid%3Datlantis

In relation to the Sea Peoples - I have never seen any source that relates the two - does anyone have something that shows a correlation?  All ancient references (AFAIK)  to them relate to people from somewhere in the Mediterranean Basin

-------------

Posted By: Hellinas
Date Posted: 21-Dec-2004 at 10:30

My guess is based on Eberhard Zangger's theory that the Sea People were Hellinic tribes of the Mycenean civilization. We know for a fact that the Phillistines thanks to a long list of records, seem to have originally came from Crete.

The connection between Mycenean culture and Philistine culture was made clear by finds, especially pottery styles, at the excavation of Ekron.
Very interesting is the finding of a large, well constructed building which covers 240 square meters.
Its walls are broad, designed to support a second story and its wide, entrance leads to a large hall, partly covered with a roof supported on a row of columns.
In the floor of the hall is a circular hearth paved with pebbles, as is typical in Mycenean buildings.

Or one could just take a look at some of the Phoenician colony names.
Kition, Neapolis, Leptis, Oia, Thapsos, Panormus, Karalis, Tharros, Lixos, Malaka.
Clearly all the above are Greek words.

An abstract of AAPA 2004 Meeting notes that: The proto-Phoenicians were Greek colonists,their leader was named Phoenix and they went in Syria during 3000-4000 bc.Later they lost their power and assimilated by the Assyrians,Haldaeans and other Semite people.Other thing the first Helleno-Phoenicians and other thing the late Semito-Phoenicians.

Another very interesting conection is the hero Heracles, his Phoenician/Phillistine equivalent was "Melkart" if spelled from right to left we find obvious similarities.

Posted By: TheOrcRemix
Date Posted: 28-Dec-2004 at 22:00
wanders

-------------
True peace is not the absence of tension, but the presence of justice.
Sir Francis Drake is the REAL Pirate of the Caribbean

Posted By: Infidel
Date Posted: 29-Dec-2004 at 09:44
Some kind of sea gypsies

-------------
An nescite quantilla sapientia mundus regatur?

Date Posted: 29-Dec-2004 at 19:04
sea cowboys

-------------

Posted By: sennacherib
Date Posted: 08-Feb-2005 at 01:14
I think the Sea Peoples were just what the Egyptians said they were; a mass-migration of several different tribes from around the Mediterranean. As it relates to Atlantis... who knows? I think that if Atlantis existed at all it was probably based around the civilization we now know as Tartessos in Spain, which in turn may be the site of the Biblical Tarshish. Atlantis is such a tricky subject though. If only we could ask Plato.

Date Posted: 13-Feb-2005 at 17:15
Tartessos was mostly famous for its silver production and actually dated to later than is realistic in connecting it with biblical Tarshish.

-------------

Posted By: sennacherib
Date Posted: 13-Feb-2005 at 18:01

Originally posted by pytheas

Tartessos was mostly famous for its silver production and actually dated to later than is realistic in connecting it with biblical Tarshish.

Well, that's debatable. No one really knows where Tarshish was located, nor do they know with certainty how old Tartessos is. It's an interesting possibility that the two may be one in the same, but it certainly isn't proven one way or the other.

Posted By: Sharrukin
Date Posted: 13-Feb-2005 at 23:50

Its interesting to note that both ancient Greek and Biblical sources make reference to Phoenicians manning the ships of the Egyptians and Hebrews, making three-year trips around Africa from either branch of the Red Sea, around Africa, into the Straits of Gibraltar and either to the Delta of the Nile or to the coast of Palestine.  The Hebrew ships were called "ships of Tarshish" which may point to a long-distance port-of-call.  It would not be inconsistent with an identification with Tartessos. 

Posted By: azimuth
Date Posted: 27-Mar-2005 at 05:25

i found this about sea people

-------------

Posted By: Ikki
Date Posted: 27-Apr-2005 at 21:25
I am with Hellinas, Mycaenean groups.

Recently i could read a book about philistines, writed by israelian archeologist, and this theory have now great support: archeological evidences, very clear conexions betwen the first philistines and the mycaeneans.

Posted By: Togodumnus
Date Posted: 18-Jul-2005 at 14:07
The Sea People are certainly an enigma.I tend toward the Hellene part.Who's to say that there wasn't Etruscan elements(and other wanderers from that part of Europe)who came to Greece and was part of a migration South and East?Who can say with authority what Central and Northern Europe was all about during the times of Egyptian and Near East empirical history?Atlantis is simply a catch-all phrase that has a truth in it somewhere,but if the answer is ever found the name Atlantis will not be a part of it.

-------------
History is simply the record of mankinds repeated mistakes...and fruitless efforts at redemption.

Posted By: Maju
Date Posted: 18-Jul-2005 at 16:54
Buff. Phallanx and I have been discussing (arguing at times) on this issue of the Sea Peoples lately in http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3521&PN=1&TPN=2 - this topic . Actually it was quite off topic, as the thread is about Etruscans MtDNA but anyhow...

I favor the hypothesis that reflects the excellent map posted by Azimuth (more or less), considering the core of them an offshot of the Urnfield peoples (non-Greeks, unless we stop to ponder who were the Dorians) that rushed out from Central Europe c.1300 to invade regions of the West and, specially the SE of Europe. The only thing clear about these Urnfield peoples is that they were IE speakers and at least Celts, and almost for sure Italics and Illyrians were in that horde.

Phallanx instead defends that they were an alliance of mainly Greek tribes. But I say that though Greeks were in that warrying bunch and probably provided the navigational skills, they may have been only part of the alliance.

They weren't Minoans in the classical sense of the term because Crete was already under Greek control but it seems that they used Crete and other islands as bases for their invasions.

Posted By: Phallanx
Date Posted: 18-Jul-2005 at 18:51
Here is a sample of the finds in Ekron  dated to approx. 1200BC and clearly related to Mycenean style pottery.

-------------
To the gods we mortals are all ignorant.Those old traditions from our ancestors, the ones we've had as long as time itself, no argument will ever overthrow, in spite of subtleties sharp minds invent.

Posted By: Perseas
Date Posted: 19-Jul-2005 at 06:21

A nice site with references to sea people is here..

http://nefertiti.iwebland.com/sea_peoples.htm - http://nefertiti.iwebland.com/sea_peoples.htm

-------------
A mathematician is a person who thinks that if there are supposed to be three people in a room, but five come out, then two more must enter the room in order for it to be empty.

Posted By: Zagros
Date Posted: 19-Jul-2005 at 14:53

The only thing clear about these Urnfield peoples is that they were IE speakers and at least Celts

It's for sure, is it? How so?

-------------

Posted By: Togodumnus
Date Posted: 22-Jul-2005 at 14:16
I believe I read somewhere that the Dorians were only interested in conquest,were a people who kept to themselves as opposed to mingling with those they overran or conquered, and did not interest themselves with any culture not their own.And yet they put their stamp on Greece and spread culture as they went.I guess the Sea Peoples left no records and the peoples that did for some reason were not very informative.My interest for the most part about these people is the Philistines and their Grecian features that I have read about.And how did such a varied and unrelated group of peoples ever coordinate an invasion of the great civilizations of the time?It had to have happened over a long period of time and their only coordination was a common need to migrate.Wunderlust or natural catastrophes?Many questions,few answers.

-------------
History is simply the record of mankinds repeated mistakes...and fruitless efforts at redemption.

Date Posted: 23-Jul-2005 at 18:14
Originally posted by Zagros Purya

The only thing clear about these Urnfield peoples is that they were IE speakers and at least Celts

It's for sure, is it? How so?

The Urnfields extended not just eastward but westward and southward. In the west, the area I know better they are not just identified by all prehistorians as IEs or Celts but also I can give you a very illustrative example I know well: the Iberian case.

c. 1300 BCE: the Urnfield peoples descend along the west bank of the Rhone and occupy areas of Southern France and NE Spain. In Spain this is basically what is now Catalonia and a rather narrow strip along the Ebro river.
c. 800 BCE: they switch to Hallsat culture (Early Iron), which is also known to be Celtic and Illyrian (but not anymore Italic).
c. 700 BCE: they infiltrate/invade (depending of the region) the Iberian platau and the Atlantic coasts.
c. 600 BCE: coincident with the foundation of Massalia (Marseilles) by the Greeks these peoples lose their first area of settlement in NW Iberia to Iberians (and Basques), becoming separated from the continent and losing contact with their relatives of mainland Europe.
since 400 BCE: mainland Celts adopt the culture of La Tčne (considered exclussively Celtic) and expand widely into the Balcans, France, British Islands and even Northern Italy. This culture of La Tčne, nor the druidistic phenomenon they import from Britain, ever reaches the Celts of Iberia.

Conclussion the Celts of Iberia could only come before 600 BCE, belonging therefore to the cultural complex that includes Hallstatt and Urnfields cultures.

Is this authoritative enough? I think it is.

The only doubt is wether among the Urnfield peoples that invaded NW Iberia c. 1300 were exclussively Celts or did they include also other groups such as Illyrians? This question is maybe relevant regarding the Lusitanian culture, that is mostly refered to as being Celtic but that some seem to think could be ethnically differentiated. But in any case this doesn't change the big picture of Celts being inside the Urnfiled culture and some of its migrations, specifically those westward (meaning maybe that Celts were the most westward nation of those gathered under the war banner of the Urnfield horde and that they probably were already dwelling around the Rhin since c. 1700 BCE).

Date Posted: 23-Jul-2005 at 19:24
Sounds more like, to coin a new phrase, Celticism; ethnocentric nonsense laying claims to an otherwise non-existent classical prominence.

-------------

Date Posted: 23-Jul-2005 at 21:38

Sounds more like, to coin a new phrase, Celticism; ethnocentric nonsense laying claims to an otherwise non-existent classical prominence.

I'm not Celtic nor have any particular likehood for that people. In fact I like to believe that the term Keltoi may be an Ibero/Basque/Ligurian loan meaning "dirty" or "worthless" - and not just a mere deformation of Gaul/Gaelic. So I'm not particularly fond of Celts, who I tend to consider invaders of ancient times. The avant-guard of IE invasion of Western Europe.

At least I'm not suspicious of Celtic ethnocentrism. But I've taken a good look at the facts and I'm as possitive as one can be that Urnfield culture included several IE groups, among them were Celts. I also give a very good level of certainty to Italics and Illyrians being there as well.

I am also sure that Germans (Nordic Bronze) weren't in that group but rather suffered their influence, as did the probably Slavic peoples of Lausitz culture in Poland.

But I don't think that IEs originated in Europe but in Central Asia. These IE nations are just a product of at least three succesive migrations/expansions (and the corresponding mixture with much larger local populations) along several milennia. They had been quiet beyond the Rhin and the Alps for about 1100 years (all Late Calcolithic, and Early and Middle Bronze ages) but with the Urnfields culture they exploded again.

I think that nowadays those theories on "Aryan" supremacy are (fortunately) restricted to a bunch of fanatics with one or two neurones at most, who need something like that to justify their otherwise pathetic existence.

Date Posted: 24-Jul-2005 at 07:33

I wasn't directing it at you, rather the theory you present. I don't see how an ancient tribal people could be so widespread and powerful as to be able to usurp civilizations on either end of Southern Europe and the Middle East simultaneously, the logic that they invaded Iberia and must therefore have been the same people that took out Greece, Egypt and other ME places is, for lack of a better word, ridiculous.

-------------

Date Posted: 24-Jul-2005 at 10:34

I wasn't directing it at you, rather the theory you present. I don't see how an ancient tribal people could be so widespread and powerful as to be able to usurp civilizations on either end of Southern Europe and the Middle East simultaneously, the logic that they invaded Iberia and must therefore have been the same people that took out Greece, Egypt and other ME places is, for lack of a better word, ridiculous.

Well, if you follow the discussion that Phallanx and I had, and the links posted here on Sea Peoples, it doesn't seem so evident that the Urnfields actually took out anyone but in some "nearby" regions. After reading some stuff posted here and in other topics I'm strongly reconsidering my former opinion of Sea Peoples and Urnfiled peoples being the same. Instead the only thing for sure we can say of the Urnfields peoples is that they experimented an expansion very simmilar to the one that La Tčne Celts would make 900 years after them, bringing them to the western Balcans (Illyrians), to Northern Italy (Italics and some Illyrians too) and to some specific areas of Western Europe (Celts). Wether Illyrians and Thracians (which seem non-Urnfield but are influenced and contemporary) took part in the Sea Peoples and the destruction of the Hittite empire or if this was a mainly Greek adventure, with some local allies like Lybians and Lycians and maybe even Etruscans, is another story.

At this moment I'm leaning for Phallanx' and others' theory that it was a mainly Greek "Viking-like" phenomenon (but with many incongnites).

Anyhow, History shows several cases of pre-gunpowder peoples expanding at fast speed even over apparently solid empires:
- Germanic invasions of the 5th century, that destroyed the Western Roman Empire;
- Arab/Muslim expansion of the 7th century, that destroyed the Sassanid Empire and took large pieces of the Eastern Roman Empire;
- Mongol expansion of the 13th century, that took over China and Persia and even the Caliph of Baghdad eventually.

Other examples can also be considered as well. I find no reason to doubt that a "horde" of Illyrian, Italic and Celtic tribes could expand easily into those rather undeveloped and rather nearby areas in the 13th century BCE, specially as archaeology supports strongly this phenomenon. A quasi-repetition of the phenomenon took part in the 4th-3rd centuries BCE this time including only Celts (in this case not just archaeology but also written documents prove it: La Tčne Celts were found from Britain and Ireland to Galatia in Anatolia and Northern Italy, having sacked Rome once).

Date Posted: 24-Jul-2005 at 11:28
I don't see the correlation, it all seems a little fantastic to me.  I would be more inclined to agree with Phalanx's "Hellenic Viking" theory. 

-------------

Date Posted: 24-Jul-2005 at 12:43

I don't see the correlation, it all seems a little fantastic to me.  I would be more inclined to agree with Phalanx's "Hellenic Viking" theory. 

Fine but one thing doesn't exclude the other. Most likely Sea Peoples were Greeks (+ ???) but that can't deny the Urnfield culture expansion in other well documented areas, even if they had no relationship at all with Sea Peoples and/or Dorians.

Anyhow... can anyone shed light on who were the Phrygians (who obviously were the one that benefitted from Hittite destruction) and Thracians (who were around since more or less that time)?

Date Posted: 24-Jul-2005 at 14:51

1. I don't rule anything out.

2. You know they could just have been indigenous tribes that became dominant with the fall of their predecessors, not everything should be explained with an invasion theory.

-------------

Date Posted: 24-Jul-2005 at 16:01
Most of the time invasions (that don't usually mean genocide but subjugation and aculturization) are the answer. When the locals are still separated from former invaders, they show cultural differences that are reflected in archaeological findings that would allow us to trace such reversal of the situation.

It doesn't seem to be the case of the Phrygians, or at least what I've found on them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phrygian_language - Wikipedia says on their language:

It is believed that it was close to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thracian_language" title="Thracian language" style="font-style: italic; - Thracian and maybe http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armenian_language" title="Armenian language" style="font-style: italic; - Armenian , mostly on grounds of classical sources. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herodotus" title="Herodotus" style="font-style: italic; - Herodotus recorded the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macedon" title="Macedon" style="font-style: italic; - Macedonian account that Phrygians emigrated into Asia Minor from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrace" title="Thrace" style="font-style: italic; - Thrace (7.73). Later in the text (7.73), Herodotus states that the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armenians" title="Armenians" style="font-style: italic; - Armenians were colonists of the Phrygians, still considered the same http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnos" title="Ethnos" style="font-style: italic; - ethnos in the time of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xerxes_I" title="Xerxes I" style="font-style: italic; - Xerxes I . Judging from linguistics, Phrygian appears closest to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_language" title="Greek language" style="font-style: italic; - Greek , a language with which it was for some time in contact.

We know that pre-Hittite dwellers of the area (Hatti) were pre-IE (following the Hittite records that also include some Hatti language), so doesn't seem like Phrygians and Hatti are related (unless they are Hellenized Hatti - ???).

What seems very curious is to find out that Armenians were Phrygians in origin. Something I didn't know at all.

Other links: http://www.phrygians.com/index.html - Phrygians.com .

Date Posted: 24-Jul-2005 at 17:39

We know that pre-Hittite dwellers of the area (Hatti) were pre-IE (following the Hittite records that also include some Hatti language), so doesn't seem like Phrygians and Hatti are related (unless they are Hellenized Hatti - ???)

Hatti belonged to the Caucasian group, not IE. hittite language was just assimilated by IE, they were originally Caucasian.

-------------

Date Posted: 24-Jul-2005 at 19:24
Originally posted by Oguzoglu

We know that pre-Hittite dwellers of the area (Hatti) were pre-IE (following the Hittite records that also include some Hatti language), so doesn't seem like Phrygians and Hatti are related (unless they are Hellenized Hatti - ???)

Hatti belonged to the Caucasian group, not IE. hittite language was just assimilated by IE, they were originally Caucasian.

That's what I said: pre-IE. I have long assumed that pre-IEs of Anatolia and the Zagros were Caucasic speakers but I didn't want to go further in detail.

Date Posted: 25-Jul-2005 at 09:14
Yes, Hurrians were pre IE inhabitants of the Zagros area, I believe Hurrians were Caucasian speakers; the Kurdish town of Awriman (Hurrian) still bears their name.

-------------

Posted By: tudhaliaIV
Date Posted: 18-Jul-2015 at 07:50
"Democracy is the theory that collective wisdom derives from individual ignorance." -- H.L. Mencken

Posted By: tudhaliaIV
Date Posted: 18-Jul-2015 at 07:52
Has the book "The Sea Peoples" by Sandars been discussed here?

Posted By: Centrix Vigilis
Date Posted: 18-Jul-2015 at 10:33
no but I have begun to reread an original contributor to the concept.

Gaston Maspero.

-------------
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Posted By: CedricEmrys
Date Posted: 12-Feb-2018 at 08:37
I do believe they fought the Hittites, I’m not sure they won. They were slaves to the egyptians, and the egyptians later attacked a Israelite city but Israel’s King was killed in that battle.

-------------
Buaidh no bĂ s

Posted By: CedricEmrys
Date Posted: 12-Feb-2018 at 08:49
Some think the survivors of Atlanta’s, And there were survivors, were the Celts of Wales since the welsh Celts had a slightly different culture than the rest of the isles.

-------------
Buaidh no bĂ s

Posted By: rondak46
Date Posted: 18-Feb-2018 at 16:28
Originally posted by J.M.Finegold

Originally posted by Herodotus II

Good evening

1000 A.D.?  Sea People's invaded the Middle East ca. 2500 B.C.

A more accurate time frame has the Sea People's showing-up around 1200 B.C.

Date Posted: 18-Feb-2018 at 16:33
Originally posted by Hellinas

An abstract of AAPA 2004 Meeting notes that: The proto-Phoenicians were Greek colonists,their leader was named Phoenix and they went in Syria during tel:3000-4000 - 3000-4000 bc.Later they lost their power and assimilated by the Assyrians,Haldaeans and other Semite people.Other thing the first Helleno-Phoenicians and other thing the late Semito-Phoenicians.

Another very interesting conection is the hero Heracles, his Phoenician/Phillistine equivalent was "Melkart" if spelled from right to left we find obvious similarities.

I have read that the consensus is that the word Phonecia referred, more probably, those who plied in the trade of purple dies. 

Date Posted: 18-Feb-2018 at 17:31

Cedric, The timing of your revival of this thread is fortuitous. I have recently become interested in the Sea Peoples, as I often come across them in my ancillary studies. With regard to the Wikipedia entries I have searched, I found something quite curious.

I converted the Wiki entries to PDFs, to make them more easily searchable, and this is what I noticed:

In my 53 page PDF on the “Sea Peoples” there is no mention of Phoenecia.

In my 54 page PDF on “Phoenicia”, there is no mention o “Sea Peoples”

Yet, regarding the Sea Peoples, they are given a time-frame for their exploits of between 1200 and 900 B.C.; whilst the Phoenicians are credited for enjoying their prime between 1200 and 800 B.C..  How can the two cultures be treated properly in isolation; describing one with no mention made of the other?

Are we not talking about the consolidation, in the Eastern Mediterranean, of a group, a culture, a way of life that had spread across the sea and become cosmopolitan to the Mediterranean? Are we not seeing, in the descriptions made by the Egyptians, Anatolia, Syrians and Hitites, the ascendency of an empire that had arose, under their noses, to dominate the full range of the Mediterranean, and were only now being noticed as the power player of the frontier between each of them and encroaching upon what they had understood to be their territory?

The Wikipedia has a chart which uses various ancient words for the Sea Peoples and their origins. Indeed the the assertions therein span the Length and breadth of the Mediterranean, from Sardinia, Sicily, The Tyrrhenian Sea, Mycenae, Greece and Anatolia. Could it not be all of these places? Could it be that Phoenicia had come of age and simply began to dominate all who resisted, and indeed, reasserted hegemony over what is often, possibly falsely, considered their homeland. 

It has been argued that the word Phoenician is a construct of later times, referring to the empire that plied in the trade of purple dies and textiles, and that it is not a term that they would have called themselves. 

Are the Sea Peoples simply the Phoenicians, in ascendency?

Regards,

Michael

Posted By: Arthur-Robin
Date Posted: 20-Feb-2018 at 00:09
It is problematic using orthodox ascribed dates because they are out by some hundreds of years. For example evidences suggest that the 19th dynasty of Egypt is not "1300s/1200s" bc but is rather about the time of Shishak and Zerah in the bible (which is ca 1000s/900s). Its better to use dynasties etc. Sea Peoples were 19th & 20th dynasty.

Regarding Atlantis mentioned in several posts new evidences are very strong that Atlantis city is Tiahuanaco/Tiwanaku, with matches for all the details of the Atlantis Account without bending etc.

Orthodox books admit they don't know where the Sea Peoples came from, and they mention evidence of links with Sardinia.

Egyptian accounts of "(north) sea people(s)" [N-pa-iam / Haunebu(t) also used for "Greeks/Hellenes"] say they came "from the ends of the world/earth", "great darkness", "9th bow/arc", "the isles and mainland of the outer circle of water" / "the great water circle [sin-wur]",  "from the pillars/pillar of heaven", and they had "a great fleet of sailed-ships with arching prows at each end, in the shape of bird-heads.... ... the sailed ships of the Peleset were overwhelmed by the slave-oared Egyptian river craft....", and that their "islands are uprooted and carried away .... The might of Nun (the Ocean) broke forth and fell in a great wave upon their towns and villages" (also that the head of their cities was submerged). ("Their forests and fields are burnt with fire." "The heat of him has burnt their countries." "The fire of Sekhmet has burnt the lands of the 9 bows/arcs." "As mighty fire was prepared before them." "They had before them a sea of flame.")

Sea Peoples were 19th & 20th dyn. [American] c0caine and tobacco was found in 19th & 21st dyn mummies.
Fitzgerald-Lee in 'Great Migration' said Assyrian pictures of Toakkari [or Tjekker] 'Sea Peoples' bearing South American fan palm.

http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=36769

The Sea Peoples of 19th/20th dyn seemingly might be contemporary of Pelasgians of Thalassocracies just after the Trojan war?

-------------
NZ's mandatory fluoridation is not fair because it only forces it on the disadvantaged/some and not on the advantaged/everyone.

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com