Print Page | Close Window

Genghis and Hitler

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: General History
Forum Name: General World History
Forum Discription: All aspects of world history, especially topics that span across many regions or periods
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1807
Printed Date: 21-May-2024 at 09:39
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Genghis and Hitler
Posted By: Murph
Subject: Genghis and Hitler
Date Posted: 11-Jan-2005 at 21:18
i find it interesting that many people somewhat admire genghis khan, but saying the same of hitler would be horrble (i am in no way a hitler sympathizer, i'm just trying to make a point here)

they were both ruthless conquerors who killed millions in the course of their wars.

so what makes it ok to think genghis is cool but hitler is the devil incarnate

is it just that the memory of hitler is too recent...
hitler did commit the holocaust, one of the most horrific things ever commited by human beings...but genghis khan slaughtered entire civilizations because he felt like it
is it better to kill indiscriminately than to kill for a (very very disturbed) personal belief?

Replies:
Posted By: El_Bandito
Date Posted: 11-Jan-2005 at 22:16
Well, lets see.  Most civilizations admire their great Emperors or Conquerers because those men gave their nations something to be proud of, despite the massacre of millions.  Napoleon is also a good example.   The trick for getting admired instead of demonized is basically WIN THE DAMN WAR!  If Hitler won his war, you and I would probably be speaking in German and shouting Sieg Heil

PS:  Napoleon didn't really win the whole war but hey, it took a coalition bring him down.  So I guess it is acceptable to the French.

-------------
I'm awake, I'm awake.

Posted By: TheOrcRemix
Date Posted: 12-Jan-2005 at 00:17
Win most of the battles.. interesting

-------------
True peace is not the absence of tension, but the presence of justice.
Sir Francis Drake is the REAL Pirate of the Caribbean

Posted By: Temujin
Date Posted: 12-Jan-2005 at 12:15
well it's simple, Chinggis Qaan was a person that had a good personality, he created stable environment due to his wars and his laws which an even be cosnidered democratic. Hitler however had the intention to kill people he doesn't like, before the war he even categorized the kind of people he would kill because he thougth of them to be inferior. Napoleon has already been mentioned, the win-the-war theory can therefore be dismissed...

-------------

Posted By: Genghis
Date Posted: 12-Jan-2005 at 19:27

Well, Genghis did spread Chinese culture and create a Pax Mongolica, and in general the mongol states were civilization spreading and not the anti-civilization of the Nazis.

I personally admire Genghis, hence my username.

-------------
Member of IAEA

Posted By: Tobodai
Date Posted: 12-Jan-2005 at 19:40

he was no worse than any other steppe or even settled comunity conqueror in how he behaved, he was only more sucessfull.  LAso remember most of Mongol history is written by the unhappy losers, The great Khan also advanced government and trade in ways ahead of his time which Hitler did not.  Also the people the Khan killed was either through the haphazard of war or through strategic example, very different than the targeted execution of people based on ethnicity.

-------------
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton

Posted By: Imperator Invictus
Date Posted: 12-Jan-2005 at 20:01
The extent of the killing and destruction is distorted by sheer size of the conquests. Julius Caesar killed a million men in Gaul, which wasn't as much, but considering how Gaul wasn't as heavily populated as China or Kwarezm, the percentage was almost comparable. Genghis Khan was no more cruel than any other barbarian leader. If you were to replace him with another leader of his time, like Richard the Lionhearted, the amount of destruction would have been the same.

-------------

Posted By: Mosquito
Date Posted: 12-Jan-2005 at 20:18
Some historians, especially french, claim novadays that the number 1.000.000 of gauls that died during 10 years of Caesars conquest of Gaul is much bigger than real number of casualties.

Posted By: Paul
Date Posted: 12-Jan-2005 at 22:47
I don't think Genghis is as bad as Hitler. I'll admit sometimes he does have some strange views and he is this forum's resident right wing nutter. But he does know a lot about invading Russia, he's not Welsh and I'm sure he's nice to his mother. Now if it's was Genghis and Pol Pot... hmmm

-------------
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk - http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk - http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk

Date Posted: 13-Jan-2005 at 16:45

Originally posted by Paul

I don't think Genghis is as bad as Hitler. I'll admit sometimes he does have some strange views and he is this forum's resident right wing nutter. But he does know a lot about invading Russia, he's not Welsh and I'm sure he's nice to his mother. Now if it's was Genghis and Pol Pot... hmmm

Thank you, when I am world overlord, you shall be justly rewarded.

-------------
Member of IAEA

Date Posted: 13-Jan-2005 at 17:51
haha i realized after i posted the topic that maybe i should have called it "genghis khan and hitler"....just so our own genghis didn't think that i was comparing him to hitler

-------------

Date Posted: 13-Jan-2005 at 21:07
Haha, it's okay, I'm not so egotistical that when I see the word Genghis, I automatically assume it's me.  If I ever do, somebody either slap me or make me spend less time on AE.

-------------
Member of IAEA

Date Posted: 14-Jan-2005 at 16:52

Originally posted by Genghis

Haha, it's okay, I'm not so egotistical that when I see the word Genghis, I automatically assume it's me. 

If that's true then maybe you're not cut out for world rule.

-------------

Date Posted: 14-Jan-2005 at 18:29
many times the true world rule ego does not come until the power has been achieved.

-------------
-Alexander Hamilton

Date Posted: 14-Jan-2005 at 19:14
Oh believe me, I already have the ego, but I'll go by my real name, and not my AE one.

-------------
Member of IAEA

Posted By: Miller
Date Posted: 15-Jan-2005 at 00:52

Originally posted by Murph

i find it interesting that many people somewhat admire genghis khan, but saying the same of hitler would be horrble (i am in no way a hitler sympathizer, i'm just trying to make a point here)

If by "many people" you mean people outside this forum I am not the above statement is correct.

Regardless, if Hilter was concerned about public relation he sure picked on the wrong group of people

Posted By: Monkeydust
Date Posted: 15-Jan-2005 at 09:24

Perhaps it simply has something to do with different eras in which the two men lived.

Genghis was around in an age when a "proper" ruler was expected, or at least not condemned, for invading expansive territories and killing a few innocents in the process. He is not vilified, perhaps, because he was simply doing the "norm" of his epoch.

Hitler, on the other hand, inhabited a world where first-world states were expected to be at least bearable, if sometimes oppressive, places to live. His imperial aims, or raher the fact that he acted upon them, were quite unique. And, moreover, his killing was so sytematic and predetermined that many just find it chilling.

Posted By: Kalevipoeg
Date Posted: 16-Jan-2005 at 10:05

The Matter, that one lived in the middle ages and the other in the modern era, makes the unarguable difference. In the middle ages, killing was a part of life and it was also in honor. People were in a way used to the annual raids and massacres commited by their opponents. It was a natural loss, that a certain percentage of your people were lost due to war. There was also no nationalism and blind hate towards the attacker so people did not feel the same feelings as they do today against strangers, those being the invaders.

Killing was a normal sight for the midlleages. Without it, life couldn't be imagined. A war was one of the few easy ways to keep your people alive.

These days, wars have turned into atrocities for the people and therefore, Hitler is worse, because to enter a war in this era, it takes a more disturbed person.

-------------
There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...

Date Posted: 16-Jan-2005 at 15:44
Originally posted by Kalevipoeg

The Matter, that one lived in the middle ages and the other in the modern era, makes the unarguable difference. In the middle ages, killing was a part of life and it was also in honor. People were in a way used to the annual raids and massacres commited by their opponents. It was a natural loss, that a certain percentage of your people were lost due to war. There was also no nationalism and blind hate towards the attacker so people did not feel the same feelings as they do today against strangers, those being the invaders.

Killing was a normal sight for the midlleages. Without it, life couldn't be imagined. A war was one of the few easy ways to keep your people alive.

These days, wars have turned into atrocities for the people and therefore, Hitler is worse, because to enter a war in this era, it takes a more disturbed person.

During the times of ancient Greece the same 'ideas' of human rights existed as today. So perhaps westerners at least have no excuse. Similarly Confusionism and Budhism was well eastblished in the far east so they can't be let off the hook either.

And I think the 20th century has proven worse than any prior century for inhumanity. So I think Hitler & Stalin are on a level playing field with medieval kings, Roman & Chinese emperors when it comes to us judging them.

-------------

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 16-Jan-2005 at 16:07
Originally posted by Kalevipoeg

If you would be able to ask Genghis victims I'm sure they'd rather want killing not to be normal.

Besides, if we want to learn from mistakes made in history we'd surely not say "It was normal back then, so it was not bad."

-------------

Date Posted: 16-Jan-2005 at 16:17
Chinggis conquest was no mistake, thats like saying the allies freeing europe was a mistake. there are still numerous wars in the world, that's common now and then and probably always will be, you can't get war out of human minds just like you can never get rid of jealousy, love or hate etc...

-------------

Date Posted: 16-Jan-2005 at 16:23
Originally posted by Temujin

Chinggis conquest was no mistake, thats like saying the allies freeing europe was a mistake.

The allies liberating Europe was no mistake, because it was done to liberate Europe. I don't know very much about Genghis but AFAIK he didn't care much about killing innocent people. (I know the allies bombed many German cities as well, causing many civilian casualties, and I indeed think that is wrong as well).

there are still numerous wars in the world, that's common now and then and probably always will be, you can't get war out of human minds just like you can never get rid of jealousy, love or hate etc...

Sure, but does that justify it?
That's like saying murder, theft, rape, etc. should not be illegal because it will keep to occur anyway.

-------------

Date Posted: 16-Jan-2005 at 16:27

Originally posted by MixcoatlToltecahtecuhtli

The allies liberating Europe was no mistake, because it was done to liberate Europe. I don't know very much about Genghis but AFAIK he didn't care much about killing innocent people. (I know the allies bombed many German cities as well, causing many civilian casualties, and I indeed think that is wrong as well).

that may be true, but is not every common soldier innocent in a certain way?

Sure, but does that justify it?
That's like saying murder, theft, rape, etc. should not be illegal because it will keep to occur anyway.

sure, but my argument was not justification btut eh only thign you can ever do about this is trying to cotnain this as mcuh as possible...but keep in mind that wars and killign people is not bad in every case.

-------------

Date Posted: 16-Jan-2005 at 17:21

war is a natural part of humanity, targeted genocide agaisnt specific people for no reason is not....

Chinggis made war like any leader does, for land, power, and wealth, Hitler did even when not at war killed people because of who they where, thats a big difference.

-------------
-Alexander Hamilton

Date Posted: 16-Jan-2005 at 22:21
chinggis masacred whole cities because they were city-dwellers and he had no use for them....razing many of the cities that you conquer to the ground, killing everyone, and then making mountains of skulls is not really "typical warfare" (i realize that he had some tactical reason behind some of these masacres, but he himself just enjoyed killing)

-------------

Date Posted: 16-Jan-2005 at 22:40
Chinggis enjoyed killing?  Could be.  I know he killed his half brother Begter over a fish.  Chinggis was only 10 years old at that time and he killed his brother with bow and arrow.  Wow.  

Just to clear something up.  Begter was actually the bully who took the fish from Temujin, but little did he know that Chinggis DOES NOT NEGOTIATE WITH BULLIES!

-------------
I'm awake, I'm awake.

Posted By: Aristoteles
Date Posted: 18-Jan-2005 at 09:14

Regarding the oppening post, I'd say that Ghenghis Khan has to be in a league of his own, when it comes to massacre, loot, pillage and rape. Nobody, and I mean this: nobody, considered the extensive depopulation of half Asia by the Mongols "normal" and their grand conquest of murdering and butchering was not considered to be on par even with the wildest medieval practices.

Conquest, in general, generates brutality. And the conquered are the victims. I've seen in another forum a comparison about Muslim and Mongolian conquest and even some comparisons with Alexander's and Roman conquest. All (but one - extremely pro-Mongol that one, and a Ghenghis-admirer) thought that in general the Mongolian conquest was so uber-horrendous that it not only was noticed as such by all contemporary historians (and they, as all here point out, were used in random acts of cruelty) but also left Asia lagging behind Europe ever since. The Mongols have carved an empire with blood, as all conquerors do. But they didn't just that. They exhausted the demographic reserves of Asia, have thrown whole cultures down the drain (was there any empire wealthier or more sophisticated than Khwarazm in the 13th century?) and have caused massive destruction whenever they felt like it. For the Mongols, the life of one Mongol was valued more than a 1.000 non-Mongols, and that's how they operated.

Hitler wasn't much better. He too valued his people way and above the others and he subscribed to the "our people have the right to live, the other are subhumans" club. His actions caused more deaths than those of Ghenghis, but that's only due to the fact that in mid 20th century the population of the earth was about 8-9 times larger than the one in the middle ages. Allegedly, the Mongol expansion has costed directly the lives of more than 15 million people (some say even as more as 25) while WW2 costed about 65 million lives. In Hitler's numbers, his own countrymates are included, while in the Mongols the victims were non-Mongols, and most of the times non-combatants.

Both of them are monsters words are too poor to describe. Some people seem to adore Ghenghis, but that's rather due to distance in time. In 500 years several (thousands? million?) people shall look back to Hitler and call him "great" and "awesome" and "cool"... that's what time does to dubious figures with great impact on history, you know.

...there are after all people now adoring Hitler...

Date Posted: 18-Jan-2005 at 16:25
aristotles, i agree with your post.  i don't really think that genghis can be categorized differently than hitler.  they were both mass murderers on the most horrific scale with no regard whatsoever for human life.  what genghis did was not "typical of his times", and hitler's actions were not either.  slaughtering cities of people like livestock just because you felt like it  is equal to systematically murdering people that you do not like.

-------------

Date Posted: 18-Jan-2005 at 21:13
15 million deaths?  Wow.  Can anyone elaborate more on those numbers according to the regions?  All in all, Chinghis had nomadic mentality of follow me, or die.  Effective one too.  Personally he didn't enjoy all the killing,(since there were no instances of him saying so in the Secret history of the Mongols)  He would much prefer the enemy people  surrender and serve under him.  Well, foreigners resisted, so Chinghis killed.  It was a neccesity, not luxury.  It was a more brutal time then, with no gentlemanly wars.  However, the 15 million deaths can't be blamed all on him.  After all, most of the conquests were done by his children, and grand children.  So technically the Mongol leaders of the conquests should all share the blame.  Plus Chinghis was, as some people say, a barbarian, so he wasn't really a nice guy.  However, he was far more cunning, ruthless AND honorable than most emperors I've seen during those times.

-------------
I'm awake, I'm awake.

Date Posted: 19-Jan-2005 at 05:48
  1. Mongol Conquests (13th Century)
    • Colin McEvedy, Atlas of World Population History (1978):
      • China Proper: In the text, he states that the population declined by 35 million as the Mongols reduced the country to subjugation during the 13th Century. In the Chart, the population drops from 115M to 85M between 1200 and 1300 CE.
      • Iran: Charted population declined from 5.0M to 3.5M
      • Afghanistan: from 2.50M to 1.75M
      • Russia-in-Europe: 7.5M to 7M
    • Alan McFarlane, The Savage Wars of Peace: England, Japan and the Malthusian Trap (2003): Chinese population reduced to half in 50 years -- over 60 million people dying or failing to be replaced.
    • Washington Post, 4/4/4 review of Jack Weatherford's Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World: "It's estimated that 15 million died in the Mongols' five-year invasion of central Asia."
    • The (London) Independent (18 Aug. 2001): >3M died during the creation of Genghis's empire.
    • PGtH:
      • 1.6M killed in Herat
      • 160,000 of the Shah's troops killed at Bokhara
    • Gibbon D&F3,6
      • Zingis [Genghis]: conquest of Central Asia: 4,347,000 in 3 cities
        • Maru: 1,300,000
        • Herat: 1,600,000
        • Neisabour [Nishapur]: 1,747,000
      • Zingis: 160,000 Carizmians [Khwarizmi]
      • Baghdad: pyramid of 90,000 skulls
      • Cublai
        • 100,000 Chinese commit mass suicide to escape
        • 100,000 lost in expedition v. Japan
    • R.J. Rummel accuses the Mongols of 29,927,000 democides in the 13th through 15th Centuries.
    • Britannica 11th ed. (1911)
      • Jenghiz Khan
        • Herat: 1.6M
        • Battle against Khwarizm: 160,000 Khw. k.

-------------

Date Posted: 19-Jan-2005 at 14:09

ah, forget this site, it's completely worthless when it comes to numbers before the 20th century, in fact I even believe they purposely rise numbers...

and regarding Chingiz, modern reasearch has shown that no major genozides at all took place during his reign. first of all, it hes been foudn out that most triebs and cities he supposedly annihilated were still pretty big 100 years later, second, he could ahve never gotten the numebrs of sodleirs for his conquest fi he would not have included major numbers of subdued (in old history books called exterminated) to execute his conquests at all, at least the children and womenfolk were spared in almost all instances, and alst, most horror-stories about ravaging pludnering etc. actually referred to Timur the lame, not Chengiz, but dumb western historicians don't even realize the difference between the two and attribute massacres carried out by him to Chingiz.

-------------

Date Posted: 19-Jan-2005 at 14:45
ah, forget this site, it's completely worthless when it comes to numbers before the 20th century, in fact I even believe they purposely rise numbers...

He cites numbers from many people, it would be strange if they are all wrong and purposely inflated. Apart from that, it's the most extensive site on casualty statistics on the web.

let's put it this way: was it really nescesary (sp?) for CK to start wars?

-------------

Date Posted: 19-Jan-2005 at 15:03

ha, was any war ever necessary?

-------------

Date Posted: 19-Jan-2005 at 15:27

From Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1200 - 1200 , Northern China - 30,000,000 killed

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1215 - 1215 , Yanjing China (today http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beijing - Beijing ) - 25,000,000 killed

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1221 - 1221 , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nishapur - Nishapur , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persia - Persia - ~1.7 million killed in assault

1221, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merv - Merv , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persia - Persia - ~1.3 million killed in assault

1221, http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Meru_Chahjan&action=edit - Meru Chahjan , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persia - Persia - ~1.3 million killed in assault

1221, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rayy - Rayy , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persia - Persia - ~1.6 million killed in assault

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1226 - 1226 , Tangut Campaign - Gengis Khan launches war against the northern China people of Tangut.

1236, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bil%E4r - Bilär , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulgar - Bulgar cities, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volga_Bulgaria - Volga Bulgaria - 150,000 or more and more (nearly half of population)

1237-1240, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kievan_Rus' - Kievan Rus' - half of population

1241, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wahlstatt - Wahlstatt -- defeat of a combined Polish-German force in lower Silesia (Poland); the Mongols turn back to attend to the election of a new Grand Khan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1258 - 1258 , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baghdad - Baghdad - ~800,000 people. Results in destruction of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abbasids - Abbasid dynasty

1226- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1266 - 1266 , ~18 million reported killed in conquest of northern Chinese territory. This number estimated by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kublai_Khan - Kublai Khan himself.

About 80 million killed in total over mongol reign.

Not sure how correct these number are but even if a fraction of that is correct that would put Mongols conquerers in a unique group. Hitler, Alexander, or Arabs didn't go this far

On the positive side Mongols pretty much adapted the culture of Persian in the west and Chinese in the east and spread both cultures around the world. Then again they may not have had any alternatives

Date Posted: 19-Jan-2005 at 15:40

ha, was any war ever necessary?

rarely
Genghis Khan whas one of the occasions during it was not necessary

-------------

Date Posted: 19-Jan-2005 at 15:50
but Chingiz has been unjustifly placed ahead of other more cruel conquerors and war mogners, I have often enough mentioned Charlemagne as such, he's even celebrated today. I simply don't see why Chingiz get's compared to Hitler while there are "better" contenders to match him...

-------------

Date Posted: 19-Jan-2005 at 16:07

but Chingiz has been unjustifly placed ahead of other more cruel conquerors and war mogners, I have often enough mentioned Charlemagne as such, he's even celebrated today. I simply don't see why Chingiz get's compared to Hitler while there are "better" contenders to match him...

The reason that Charlemagne and the likes are not considered evil because they're European/Christian. But indeed there's little difference between Charlemagne and Chingiz. And I agree with you that Hitler is even more evil than those two gentleman.

-------------

Posted By: Genghis Khan
Date Posted: 19-Jan-2005 at 23:38

Hitler is considered evil because of the concentration camps. He killed people because of their ethnic group. Genghis had mass killings only in battle and for strategical reasons (fear and psychological warfare), not because he didnt like the people.

-------------
It is not sufficient that I succeed--all others must fail.

-- Genghis Khan

Posted By: chessrook1
Date Posted: 20-Jan-2005 at 00:46

Because Chingiss Khan aka Temujin was a smart general and strategist who let his finest generals like Subedai and Jubei lead his army of over 125,00 able horsemen against armies numbering in the millions like China, Central Asia, and Persia. Whereas Hitler was a fookup. He was a smart politician but was a bad general and micromanage his army where it should have been his Generals’ job to do that. Even though, their empire was short-lived, the Mongols protected the Silk Road from other bandits and introduced the east and west to each other. Marco Polo’s writings of his travel are a good example. Chingiss Khan only killed if the people spite him like the kingdom of Xia in Central Asia whose king refuse to send auxiliary troops to help Chingiss’ men and told him back that he shouldn’t have become khan if he didn’t have enough men in his army. Chingiss Khan would later on take revenge for that insult. They would let the cities live if they surrendered peacefully and pay tributes without rebelling later on. They were also merciless if their messengers or heralds were killed by the enemy they were delivering message to from the Khan. A modern Mongol professor from Mongolia once said that Chinghiss Khan was sort of like a savage explorer like the explorers during the age of sail in Europe and China. The Professor said that he wanted to know how other settled people lived and wanted to make his people and the future capital of his empire to look like settled people.

Date Posted: 20-Jan-2005 at 03:10

I find it of extremely bad tast, cynical, silly, childish, immature and a host of other similar characterizations (enter whatever you wish, no matter how harsh, I'll subscribe to it) to justify mass genocide and horrendous acts of mass brutality, by simply stating silly things like "yes, but those times were different" or "sure he killed many, but that was normal back then" or other similar bull.

Genghis is considered the greatest mass murderer of all times, he devastated an entire continent and halted the progress for the whole Asia, and you dare to compare him with people like Charlamagne, Alexander, J. Ceasar or any other for that account? All the conquerors of all times haven't done half of what the Mongols did alone.

We've lost any sense of reason here, haven't we?

How would the Ghenghiz admirers (even those named after him - we've got two resident Khan-nettes, huh?) feel if it was their mothers raped and then slaughtered, their fathers butchered, their brothers and sisters massacred? How would they feel if it was their homes torn down, their crops burned, their land ravaged?

Would you still feel that Ghenghiz was nothing more than "a great conqueror" and such similar crap?

Date Posted: 20-Jan-2005 at 10:29
I believe Genghis furthered the progress of Asia.  Just look at the success of the following Yuan dynasty and such.

-------------
Member of IAEA

Date Posted: 20-Jan-2005 at 11:30
Originally posted by Aristoteles

I find it of extremely bad tast, cynical, silly, childish, immature and a host of other similar characterizations (enter whatever you wish, no matter how harsh, I'll subscribe to it) to justify mass genocide and horrendous acts of mass brutality, by simply stating silly things like "yes, but those times were different" or "sure he killed many, but that was normal back then" or other similar bull.

Genghis is considered the greatest mass murderer of all times, he devastated an entire continent and halted the progress for the whole Asia, and you dare to compare him with people like Charlamagne, Alexander, J. Ceasar or any other for that account? All the conquerors of all times haven't done half of what the Mongols did alone.

We've lost any sense of reason here, haven't we?

How would the Ghenghiz admirers (even those named after him - we've got two resident Khan-nettes, huh?) feel if it was their mothers raped and then slaughtered, their fathers butchered, their brothers and sisters massacred? How would they feel if it was their homes torn down, their crops burned, their land ravaged?

Would you still feel that Ghenghiz was nothing more than "a great conqueror" and such similar crap?

and please tell me how this is different from any other steppe or even non steppe conqueror

-------------
-Alexander Hamilton

Date Posted: 20-Jan-2005 at 14:16
yeah, and look at those innocent empries he has defeated in combat, the Jin empire and its corrupted court that fougth numerous indecisive wars with the Song before, the Kwarazmians, whose leader was a religious fanatic that conquered neighbours in the name of Allah, the Buddhist Kara Khitai that surpressed it's Muslim population plus quarreling russian princes that waged war on other princes just to get more powerful. and here we have Chingiz, who has endured the murder of his father, the loss of his tribe, being outlawed and even kept prisoner under humilating circumstances, his wife being robbed by his enemies out of revenge and being raped, but he did not invaded a single country out of the lust for conquest, but only in retaliation. and only one generation alter all the territories mentioned were pacified, and this is a region from southern China to Poland and from the middle east to Korea. the major trade routes between east and west were reestablished and flourished like enver before, the Mongols had a capital that included religious buildings of various religions that co-existed peacefully, members of the conquered people and other foreigners holding major offices under the Khan, and ultimately the laws of the Chingiz that were far ahead of their time.

-------------

Date Posted: 20-Jan-2005 at 14:21

Lets just say there is no such thing as right or wrong and this all something we just imagine. Many people in prisons grow up in the bad part of town and they should be released because they are not that much worse than other criminals in there neighborhood and they should all be released.

Date Posted: 20-Jan-2005 at 21:43
To create one's ideal empire, he must start from the beginning and wipe out all the impurities.  Kinda like the Biblical flood.  Chinggis understood that principle. 

-------------
I'm awake, I'm awake.

Date Posted: 20-Jan-2005 at 21:47
To create, one must destroy.

-------------
Member of IAEA

Date Posted: 20-Jan-2005 at 22:08
also we arent even mentioning his civic acheivements, made even more remarkable by the fact he was a nomad who was illiterate, he adopted an alphabet for his people, a proto-constitution granting thnings like religious freedom, religious freedom as a nations codified document int he 13th century, thats ahead of ones time.

-------------
-Alexander Hamilton

Posted By: Mangudai
Date Posted: 23-Jan-2005 at 05:44

well it's simple, Chinggis Qaan was a person that had a good personality, he created stable environment due to his wars and his laws which an even be cosnidered democratic. Hitler however had the intention to kill people he doesn't like, before the war he even categorized the kind of people he would kill because he thougth of them to be inferior. Napoleon has already been mentioned, the win-the-war theory can therefore be dismissed...

Democratic?! Aw c'mon!

Date Posted: 23-Jan-2005 at 12:46
I said it was democratic, not a demoracy...

-------------

Date Posted: 25-Jan-2005 at 03:24

Well buddy, then we have completely different concepts of what "democratic" means...

I can't see anything democratic in the mongol empire. There were no votes, no electorals, no political forum - nothing that has to do with democracy and it's principles

Date Posted: 25-Jan-2005 at 08:19

First of all, I should say '' Hello everyone!''. Then I hope you will help me with my improvement of my history knowledge. Ýn addition to this, I wish there was someone who proved that ''Chinggis khaan wasn't Turkish!''. Thank you.

-------------

Date Posted: 25-Jan-2005 at 12:19
Originally posted by Mangudai

Well buddy, then we have completely different concepts of what "democratic" means...

I can't see anything democratic in the mongol empire. There were no votes, no electorals, no political forum - nothing that has to do with democracy and it's principles

so what? there was the Quriltai and the absolute religious freedom, what more can you expect from a medieval country?  and the fundament fot he coutnry were strict but fair laws.

-------------

Posted By: Degredado
Date Posted: 25-Jan-2005 at 13:17

I think you all neglect one thing: Hitler died almost sixty years ago. The memory is still fresh.

How long ago did the Mongol empire crumble? Several centuries ago.

It's a matter of memory

-------------
Vou votar nas putas. Estou farto de votar nos filhos delas

Posted By: warhead
Date Posted: 25-Jan-2005 at 21:35

"Just look at the success of the following Yuan dynasty and such."

LIKE WHAT? WIDESPREAD POVERTY AND DISCRIMINATIVE LAWS? The Yuan is what ended the progress under Song, there is a marked decline in many fields of industry such as the iron and agricultural. Ironically even the horse industry suffered even though they are nomads.

Comparing Genghis to Hitler is actually not as well as comparing him to Hideki Tojo, the Mongols and the imperial Japanese were more similar to each other than to Hitler, they raped, pillaged and slaughtered cities for pleasure. Zhong Du was utterly destroyed. And Kublai had to built it from scratch, you can find that in Yuan Shi as well as archeological evidence. Similarily the Tangut population in Nin Xia was exterminated. The reason Genghis defenders gave was that the people resisted. Hilarious, thats what the Japanese did in world war two as well. And even they did not kill as much which was ironic considering the world population is not as large back then yet the numbers slaughtered was still higher.

People say time factor, thats dull. Time isn't the only factor, so are culture and space. Germany and Japan didn't think these are unacceptable, only the west did!

As for no one think killing is wrong back then, thats incorrect as well. Mass slaughter has always been dreaded by the ideal of East Asia and even though there isn't a law against it, the historical texts always critisize them severely. So you argue that the mongols are a different culture so they are "more acceptable". Then neitehr does Hitler and Tojo's generals consider the West European moraily as logical either. Then again what international law are there in world war 2 that saids slaugher are illegal?

As for Chenjis having a great personality, have you all forgot this quote

"Its pleasurable to see the tears of the people" doesn't sound too much better than Hitler, if not worse considering he don't view any people as humans and disposed of when necessary. As for not killing people he doesn't like, please where did that BS came from, all rulers of the past and Genghis isn't an acception would kill people they don't like.

Its not Genghis thats overrated as a killer, but that Hitler is overrated, he isn't any different from many rulers of the past and the only difference is that he lived in this century.

Date Posted: 25-Jan-2005 at 23:41
Wait wait wait.  From where did you get the idea of Chinggis not viewing others as NOT HUMAN?  That ideology is more akin to Hitler's view of Jews, or Israeli's view of Palestinians.  Chinggis always respected intellectuals even if they are from different culture.  Although he did slaughter many, he never said that the killed were INHUMAN. 

Also, if the people you conquered continue to resist despite your strict administration, which method are going to use if you were an ancient nomad leader?  Acknowledge those people's rights and withdraw or just kill them and educate their offsprings with your ideal?

PS:  I must go and dig through the Secret History of the Mongols and see if indeed Chinggis said that he enjoyed watching the women cry after their dead husbands etc...  For all we know, it could just be pure European demonification of Chinggis.  After all he commanded the devil's horsemen didn't he?

-------------
I'm awake, I'm awake.

Date Posted: 26-Jan-2005 at 05:45
Originally posted by El_Bandito

Wait wait wait.  From where did you get the idea of Chinggis not viewing others as NOT HUMAN?  That ideology is more akin to Hitler's view of Jews, or Israeli's view of Palestinians.  Chinggis always respected intellectuals even if they are from different culture.  Although he did slaughter many, he never said that the killed were INHUMAN. 

So massacring people is ok, as long as you keep in mind they're humans?

-------------

Date Posted: 26-Jan-2005 at 08:28

so what? there was the Quriltai and the absolute religious freedom, what more can you expect from a medieval country?  and the fundament fot he coutnry were strict but fair laws.

Yes, but still it's not even close to democratic. The qurultai was not for the people - it was for the mongol aristocracy. Chinggis didn't act as a tyrant, nor a popular, democratic leader. He acted more like an "enlighted despot"

PS:  I must go and dig through the Secret History of the Mongols and see if indeed Chinggis said that he enjoyed watching the women cry after their dead husbands etc...  For all we know, it could just be pure European demonification of Chinggis.  After all he commanded the devil's horsemen didn't he?

it's not from the secret history, but from a non-contemporary persian historian

Posted By: white dragon
Date Posted: 26-Jan-2005 at 19:22
I think you all neglect one thing: Hitler died almost sixty years ago. The memory is still fresh.

How long ago did the Mongol empire crumble? Several centuries ago.

It's a matter of memory

endquote

we did not neglect this point.
if you were to read earlier on you would see that we
adressed this point

Germany and Japan didn't think these are unacceptable, only the west did!
endquote

uhhh... unless im sadly mistaken, germany is considered
part of the west

So massacring people is ok, as long as you keep in mind they're humans?
endquote

now thats just dumb
i have always hated it when people twist other's word
and read way too far into them like that.
he never said its ok, just that Gengis never said they
weren't human. i believe what he was pointing out was
that Gengis and Hitler had different ways of thinking
with WHY they killed alot of people

-------------
Pray as if everything depended upon God and work as if everything depended upon man.
-Francis Cardinal Spellman

Date Posted: 26-Jan-2005 at 19:50
Originally posted by white dragon

Gengis and Hitler had different ways of thinking

so does that justify it and make genghis a more "acceptable" mass murderer than hitler?

-------------

Date Posted: 26-Jan-2005 at 22:01
white dragon wrote:

so does that justify it and make genghis a more "acceptable" mass murderer than hitler?
Endquote

yet another thing i hate. quoting part of something someone says to mangle the meaning of what they say
i never said it justifies what they did. what i said
was

endquote

stop only quoting apart of what people say to change the
meaning

-------------
Pray as if everything depended upon God and work as if everything depended upon man.

Date Posted: 27-Jan-2005 at 13:53

Originally posted by Murph

Hitler is considdered evil in his own league because he just picked a random people and said they're inferior to us an thus have to die, and to achieve this he even attacked other countires.

Chingiz just killed a lot of people because he was mighty enough to expand really far. if you judge people by the amount of killed you an call every single ruler that went to war a mass murder, and by that the term get's quite inflationed and if compared to hitler it does make look Hitler a regular guy comparably. Chingiz had a "lucky" shot in beign able to achieve more than others, and naturally in his course he stepped over dead bodies wherever he went. want i want to say absically, Chingiz is just considdered a mass murder because otehr rulers like never gotten to the point conquering half eurasia, the more conquest, the more dead. Chingiz never wanted groups to be punished unless unavoidable.

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Jan-2005 at 18:34
Originally posted by white dragon

white dragon wrote:

Endquote

yet another thing i hate. quoting part of something someone says to mangle the meaning of what they say
was

endquote

meaning

all right i'll quote ur whole passage to make you happy

my question wasnt taking a part of ur comment and twisiting it.
i was asking if genghis's reason for killing people made him more acceptable than hitler

genghis seemed to kill indiscriminately while hitler killed a specific group

also, i've been trying to find a quote that i once heard acredited to Genghis, but now of course i can't find it.  it was something like "there is no greater joy than seeing your conquered enemy slaughtered, his village razed to the ground, and his family taken away"  maybe it was just made up by some historian, but i've definitely seen it and Genghis has been quoted as saying it.  if that is true, it does prove to an extent that Genghis did enjoy killing and pillaging.  while this may have been a joy to many nomadic tribesman at war, it still makes him a horrific conquerer who chose to kill for pleasure, with some alternative purposes supporting his actions

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Jan-2005 at 23:13

"Also, if the people you conquered continue to resist despite your strict administration, which method are going to use if you were an ancient nomad leader?  Acknowledge those people's rights and withdraw or just kill them and educate their offsprings with your ideal?"

The flaw with this argument is that he killed people even before they revolted, for simply resisting from been conquered.

"Hitler is considdered evil in his own league because he just picked a random people and said they're inferior to us an thus have to die, and to achieve this he even attacked other countires."

I don't see how thats better than simply exterminating people who resist.

"Chingiz just killed a lot of people because he was mighty enough to expand really far."

So was Hitler.

"if you judge people by the amount of killed you an call every single ruler that went to war a mass murder, and by that the term get's quite inflationed and if compared to hitler it does make look Hitler a regular guy comparably." Chingiz had a "lucky" shot in beign able to achieve more than others, and naturally in his course he stepped over dead bodies wherever he went. want i want to say absically, Chingiz is just considdered a mass murder because otehr rulers like never gotten to the point conquering half eurasia, the more conquest, the more dead."

A masterpiece of understatement, in fact There were plenty of ruler that conquered many cities and haven't slaughtered, emperor Tang Tai Zong only slaughtered once in his career against a city in Hobei after coninuous rebellion, he later regretted this his whole life, when he undertook the Koguryo campaign, even after the people of Liao Yang kept on resisting he spared every single one of them. In fact when Li Jing slaughtered the tujue tribes after he overthrew them in 630, Tai Zong reprimanded him and degraded his position. The Tang empire at his death was even larger and more populous than that of Genghis.

In fact he is just one of the many benevelent rulers who haven't slaughtered, even the xiongnu Liu Yuan gave strict order to his "barbarian" army to spare all the people of a city, when his general Shi Le still killed over 1000, Liu Yuan was furious and degraded him.

In fact we don't even need these examples, compare Genghis to his own grandson Kublai and you can see a great deal of difference. Kublai did nothing to the Song capital of Han Zhou or even the Dali capital of Tai He even after they continuously resisted(And they resisted for far longer than the Xia capital of Ning Xia and the Jin capital of Zhong Du, both of which was exterminated)

Third your logic that any ruler can slaughter if they have that power is unacceptable, in that case, Hitler is also far from the worst, there are much mor rasist people than Hitler and they would perhaps exterminate the Jews instantly if they got power. In fact none of the political figure could be the worst since they must have certain intelligence and mercy to get to that possition. A mass murderer would never have became a leader of a country.

"Chingiz never wanted groups to be punished unless unavoidable."

Tell that to the exterminated Xia. It was far from unavoidable, Genghis wanted to ounish them for resisting, conquering them wasn't enough to him. And neither is many of the cities immedieately after conquered.

Date Posted: 28-Jan-2005 at 12:42
yeah but he did not exterminate the Tanguts, they still existed durign the Ming times...

-------------

Date Posted: 28-Jan-2005 at 15:59
He exterminated Nin Xia. Obviously the Tanguts weren't exterminated, you can't just exterminate a whole race, but over half is enough. Many fled back to Qin Hai. Most in Gansu were killed.

Date Posted: 02-Feb-2005 at 15:09
i dont like either one but they were both good generals tactically speaking but they were fighting for the wrong reasons.

Posted By: Feramez
Date Posted: 02-Feb-2005 at 15:55

Originally posted by BBeatlesForum

i dont like either one but they were both good generals tactically speaking but they were fighting for the wrong reasons.

Depending on your personal opinon I can see why soeone would think Hitler fought for the wrong reason.  But I don't see Cengiz Han fighting for the wrong reason.  He did what every other leader or general did, spread out an empire, but only he was probably the best at it to date.

Date Posted: 02-Feb-2005 at 15:59
Originally posted by Feramez

He did what every other leader or general did, spread out an empire,

just like Hitler

-------------

Posted By: Feramez
Date Posted: 02-Feb-2005 at 16:15

Yes, but Hitler mainly did it just because he hated Jews.  Cengiz Han didn't have hatred towards any of the people he conquered.  He did it for the purpose of his empire.

Posted By: Komnenos
Date Posted: 02-Feb-2005 at 16:42
Originally posted by Feramez

Yes, but Hitler mainly did it just because he hated Jews.  Cengiz Han didn't have hatred towards any of the people he conquered.  He did it for the purpose of his empire.

Hitler's notoriety is based on two main points, firstly as military agressor and second as leader responsible for the genocide of 6 Million Jewish people.The first role doesn't seem to make him such a unique historical figure, until you understand the Nazi "justification" for invading Poland and other Eastern European countries was to create "Lebensraum" ( space to settle) for his Arian "master race", who, according to Nazi ideology, had more right to exist than the inferior Slavic races.
The same "reasoning" stood behind the genocide, as the Nazis saw it as their duty as superior race to eliminate the Jews, who they regarded not only as inferior but hardly as human at all.
Both aspects, his wars and the holocaust sprung out of the same sick and criminal ideology, something that can not be said about Genghis Khan.
I presume, the great Khan just did what Mongolian tribes before him had done for centuries, conquer other tribes, burn everything to the ground that cannot be moved and collect as much loot as possible, just on a much grander scale.
Nothing unusual there, considering the times.

-------------
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">

Date Posted: 06-Feb-2005 at 19:21
white dragon wrote:
white dragon wrote:

Endquote

was

endquote

meaning

all right i'll quote ur whole passage to make you happy

my question wasnt taking a part of ur comment and twisiting it.
i was asking if genghis's reason for killing people made him more acceptable than hitler

genghis seemed to kill indiscriminately while hitler killed a specific group
endquote

sorry after really reading my post i see i never actually said it made him more acceptable.

no it did not mean he was more acceptable, just different

-------------

Date Posted: 06-Feb-2005 at 20:53
Chingis had much better personality than that of Hitler though.  Otherwise, he couldn't establish his power base early on on the steppes, much less world domination.   He also was much better general than that of Hitler(how many campaigns did Hitler lead?).  Plus he was tolerant towards all religions(very few leaders can claim that) and he liked intellects(not typical of barbarian leader).  Chingis heeded their advices rather than asserting only his personal view.  In those aspects, Chinggis was a better man than Hitler. 

PS:  Don't forget the beautiful ladies Chinggis had.

-------------
I'm awake, I'm awake.

Date Posted: 07-Feb-2005 at 00:36

Originally posted by El_Bandito

Chingis had much better personality than that of Hitler though.  Otherwise, he couldn't establish his power base early on on the steppes, much less world domination.  

A good personality is hardly a world-domination trait. If it was, I'd be master of the universe

He also was much better general than that of Hitler(how many campaigns did Hitler lead?)

Almost all. At least the same way Ghenghis did. 

Plus he was tolerant towards all religions(very few leaders can claim that)

Sure he was tolerant towards all religions, he slaughtered everyone irregardles of his/hers religion. I call that tolerant!  

and he liked intellects(not typical of barbarian leader). Chingis heeded their advices rather than asserting only his personal view.

Nobody said he wasn't an effective (in the scope of "greatness") leader. Those tend to listen to good advice and even seek for it.

In those aspects, Chinggis was a better man than Hitler. 

Both were horrible monsters, two of the worst the human race has ever produced. I can't really make up my mind who was worst, but they both are in a league of their own.

PS:  Don't forget the beautiful ladies Chinggis had.

Yeah, he set world record for raping I've heard... still unbeaten too  

-------------
Trying to educate the ignorant, leads only to frustration

Posted By: sennacherib
Date Posted: 08-Feb-2005 at 14:08
Originally posted by Aristoteles

Regarding the oppening post, I'd say that Ghenghis Khan has to be in a league of his own, when it comes to massacre, loot, pillage and rape. Nobody, and I mean this: nobody, considered the extensive depopulation of half Asia by the Mongols "normal" and their grand conquest of murdering and butchering was not considered to be on par even with the wildest medieval practices.

Conquest, in general, generates brutality. And the conquered are the victims. I've seen in another forum a comparison about Muslim and Mongolian conquest and even some comparisons with Alexander's and Roman conquest. All (but one - extremely pro-Mongol that one, and a Ghenghis-admirer) thought that in general the Mongolian conquest was so uber-horrendous that it not only was noticed as such by all contemporary historians (and they, as all here point out, were used in random acts of cruelty) but also left Asia lagging behind Europe ever since. The Mongols have carved an empire with blood, as all conquerors do. But they didn't just that. They exhausted the demographic reserves of Asia, have thrown whole cultures down the drain (was there any empire wealthier or more sophisticated than Khwarazm in the 13th century?) and have caused massive destruction whenever they felt like it. For the Mongols, the life of one Mongol was valued more than a 1.000 non-Mongols, and that's how they operated.

Hitler wasn't much better. He too valued his people way and above the others and he subscribed to the "our people have the right to live, the other are subhumans" club. His actions caused more deaths than those of Ghenghis, but that's only due to the fact that in mid 20th century the population of the earth was about 8-9 times larger than the one in the middle ages. Allegedly, the Mongol expansion has costed directly the lives of more than 15 million people (some say even as more as 25) while WW2 costed about 65 million lives. In Hitler's numbers, his own countrymates are included, while in the Mongols the victims were non-Mongols, and most of the times non-combatants.

Both of them are monsters words are too poor to describe. Some people seem to adore Ghenghis, but that's rather due to distance in time. In 500 years several (thousands? million?) people shall look back to Hitler and call him "great" and "awesome" and "cool"... that's what time does to dubious figures with great impact on history, you know.

...there are after all people now adoring Hitler...

Date Posted: 08-Feb-2005 at 14:41

this is ridiculous, this is about two persons and their personalities. udner  Trumans rule US sodleirs ahve killed many thousands of enemies, just like Hitler, so does that make Truman a monster like Hitler?

let's take Arsitoteles, who preached to enslave the Persians becuase they're barbarians. I'd say he was mroe of a monster than Chingiz because Chingiz never said soemthign liek that.

I repeat, what the anti-Chingiz fraction here does is simple ignorance, promoted by years of repetition of biased primary accounts by conquered peoples and nationalist western authors, that's all there is.

-------------

Date Posted: 08-Feb-2005 at 14:53
Whatever way you look at it, the Mongol conquests caused many deaths. So could you explain why Genghis had to conquer at all?

-------------

Date Posted: 08-Feb-2005 at 15:08

well, because due to Mongol belief, the earth was given to Chingiz to rule over by Tengri, so he just claimed what belogned to him already. you could as well ask why the Arabs after Mohammed killed so many people by forcing the right belief upon them. AFAIK every major Steppe ruler beliefed in this world order.

-------------

Posted By: Bosnjo
Date Posted: 08-Feb-2005 at 15:42

If the Genghis-Lovers, take it easy that hunderts of thousand people were killed, why have you something against Hitler. 

O.K. he killed nearly all jews of Europe but at this time were Jews realy hated, because a lot of them were moneylenders, and like in nowdays  3rd World Countries, are monelyenders not loved people because they took too much interest (%).

I think that he did not wanted to kill all the "Unter-Menschen", then he begun first with mass murder as the war was lost 1941, because he could not let the Enemie of the Mankind free.

According to "Mein Kampf" (the hitler bible) He wanted to conquer Europe like Napoleon and to produce a generation of pure Aryans, Supermen. 

Hitler hated not the other races, he thought only that they are under-humans (that was common in white countries).

And for this goal was he did not have any limits, for example if one German was killed by the resistance the Germans killed 100 civilians, for nearly all conquerers a legitime way.

The difference between Genghis and Hitler was, that Genghis won because of his Brutality and Hitler last because of his Brutality. Due to the killings of civilians the germans last the Support, which they had for example in the Sovjet Union, because the were terrorised by Stalin, and as the Germans arrived they thought that they were their liberators.

Date Posted: 08-Feb-2005 at 15:49
the Chingiz lovers don't approve the many killings, it's just that Chingiz killed so many because the other conquerors were less sucessful.

-------------

Posted By: sennacherib
Date Posted: 08-Feb-2005 at 15:58
Again, Aristoteles' earlier post hits the nail on the head.

Posted By: Bosnjo
Date Posted: 08-Feb-2005 at 16:10

t"he Chingiz lovers don't approve the many killings, it's just that Chingiz killed so many because the other conquerors were less sucessful."  Hitler was also realy succsesfull, at the begining.

Where is the difference, both tried to rule the world, and humans were worthless for both, Chingiz Khan killed also people wich rebelled, hitler the same. And both killed People due to a personal Opinion Chingis killed Tartarians, because he revanged his fathers deth, Hitler isolated people because he considered them as parasites or varmits then 1941 (after the losing of the Battles, Moska, Stalingrad was clear the war ist lost) then he had a choice let them go or kill them.

The same ruthless Bastards.

Posted By: NCAA
Date Posted: 17-Nov-2005 at 03:08
Chingis Khaan is the founder of our nation of Mongolia.

Comparing our founding father with the one greatest murderer of mankind is very insulting for every Mongolians.

If you have carefully studied Mongol History, not heard rumors about it, you would know that Chingis is a kind and noble leader, who sacrificed his life for his people.

I demand this, completely unsupported and deliberately defamating, forum to be deleted immediately!

Posted By: poirot
Date Posted: 17-Nov-2005 at 03:34

I wonder what one would say about Hitler if the Third Reich succeeded and won World War II.......................................

Who knows?  The victors are praised, and the losers demonized. 

But yes, I would say that Genghis Khan should not be compared directly to Hitler.  Hitler killed based on ethnicity and race, while Genghis Khan only killed to ensure that his Mongol warriors achieved victory.

Hitler is the hunter who kills indulgently, while Genghis Khan is the hunter who kills only when necessity calls.

-------------
AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

Date Posted: 17-Nov-2005 at 03:44
Originally posted by NCAA

Chingis Khaan is the founder of our nation of Mongolia.

Comparing our founding father with the one greatest murderer of mankind is very insulting for every Mongolians.

If you have carefully studied Mongol History, not heard rumors about
it, you would know that Chingis is a kind and noble leader, who
sacrificed his life for his people.

I demand this, completely unsupported and deliberately defamating, forum to be deleted immediately!

This is an international forum, and if you like it or not, you have to tolerate different opinions about the beloved founder of your nation.
I'm pretty sure the people at the receiving end of Mongol expansion might not have seen Chingis Khan or any of his successors in such a rosy light, and if that is reflected here, it's quite understandable.

-------------

Date Posted: 17-Nov-2005 at 03:47
you gotta be kidding me! 

Posted By: poirot
Date Posted: 17-Nov-2005 at 03:50

you gotta be kidding me! 

No, Komnenos is not kidding.  This is an international forum, and tolerance is one of its fundamental rules. 

I know that you are a good person.  If you can tone down your nationalism and bigoted views toward others, we can all contribute for the good of the forum.

-------------
AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

Posted By: Maju
Date Posted: 17-Nov-2005 at 03:54
If you want to defend Chingis' name you'd better use arguments than just proud nationalist statements. I think it's quite fair.

Not that I side with either opinion but it's the fair thing to do among reasonable people. We are here to discuss history.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 17-Nov-2005 at 04:00

you gotta be kidding me! 

I'm German, and we are not known for our sense of humour. I was dead serious.

-------------

Date Posted: 17-Nov-2005 at 04:01
Originally posted by Maju

If you want to defend Chingis' name you'd better use arguments than just proud nationalist statements. I think it's quite fair.

Not that I side with either opinion but it's the fair thing to do among reasonable people. We are here to discuss history.

But all of your history about Mongols is written by sore losers except The Secret History of Mongols. What exactly you want to discuss about it?! 

Posted By: Alkiviades
Date Posted: 17-Nov-2005 at 04:14

Originally posted by Komnenos

I'm German, and we are not known for our sense of humour. I was dead serious.

Witzig, ya!

Posted By: Maju
Date Posted: 17-Nov-2005 at 04:38

Originally posted by Maju

But all of your history about Mongols is written by sore losers except The Secret History of Mongols. What exactly you want to discuss about it?! 

I don't want to discuss anything. You are the one that doesn't agree with Bosnjo, so you are the one that should put ahead your facts and resonings. I will gladly learn from reading it, as I'm no expert in Mongol history.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Posted By: AlbinoAlien
Date Posted: 17-Nov-2005 at 10:47
genghis kahn helped secure the asian world. with his empire came a actual secuirty in Asia. Monks, priets, and all religous peoples could now go explore other parts of the world, see other religions, visit old monument snad ancient sites. people could walk the counry side without fear of being robbed or killed by thieves and bandits. before genghis there was only chaos and destrucion, but through murder and domination, genghis brought about control and order. that is why we admire him, because he knew what it would take to make the asian world a stable place. Hitler on the other hand had no intention of this. he invisioned a world order where people are enslaved to other more "superior people".

-------------
people are the emotions of other people

(im not albino..or pale!)

.....or an alien..

Posted By: SaikhaNBayar
Date Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 05:00

Are there any Hitler lovers and Hitler admirers? who are they?

And reason?

Because i see a lot Chingis-Lovers(as someone described) here! Isn`t it enought to show difference between them?

Thanks...

-------------
The 800th Anniversary of the Great Mongolian State. 2006

Date Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 05:18

He has never executed the people who followed him. In war, there was a cause. The rule was if you don't attack first, you'll be attacked. He wanted peace, but his rivals didn't give any chance in his living time. E.g, Chinese (Jin Empire) emperors always pressed Mongol tribes by taxation, and wanted Mongol tribes fight each other. But Chingis khaan united his people in one hand and defeated China. The war wasn't complete, indeed the conquest of China was not complete until 1234. What's more, why did he invade Kwarezm? The mayor of Otrar killed about 100 ambassadors and merchants of Chingis khaan. Is it fair? That's why the war started.

Thanks

Date Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 13:19
Originally posted by SaikhaNBayar

Are there any Hitler lovers and Hitler admirers? who are they?

And reason?Because i see a lot Chingis-Lovers(as someone described) here! Isn`t it enought to show difference between them?

Thanks...

sadly enough, i believe there are. fortunatly none on this forum(that i know of) and not many where i live, but they do exist

Posted By: MongolHero
Date Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 19:20

Very few...To Genghis Khan a lot of.

Posted By: Alkiviades
Date Posted: 19-Nov-2005 at 03:03
Hitler will gain some popularity in a couple of centuries, rest assured. Distance in time makes us forget the atrocity part and focus on the legend. He'll never get the following Chinghiz has because contrary to the great Khan, Hitler was eventually defeated. Had he succeeded and depopulated eastern Europe to bring in his ubermenschen, I can bet a fair amount of money that in 2-3 centuries he'd be viewed as "the greatest leader of the Germans", just as the genocidal maniac Chinghiz is viewed by our dear MongolHero as "the greatest leader of the Mongols".

History is like that, you know...

Date Posted: 19-Nov-2005 at 03:28
Not as just Mongol hero, he was the man of the millenium as you know!

Posted By: MongolHero
Date Posted: 19-Nov-2005 at 11:48
   Every leader could've viewed as the greatest, if they have succeeded. But like them Hitler didn't. So I can say Genghis was the greatest, in terms of military genius, because he succeeded in accomplishing his mission. Hitler could've too, well..................but he couldn't. So who is the better leader huh?

Posted By: Cezar
Date Posted: 19-Nov-2005 at 14:52

Time frame.

What G did was what everyone expected him to do.

What H did was what some expected him to do.

Between G and H I will go with S, or V, or G, or ....

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com