Forum Discription: The Indian sub-continent and South Central Asia
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=29611
Printed Date: 04-May-2024 at 13:06
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Eastern weapons
Posted By: Nick1986
Subject: Eastern weapons
Date Posted: 17-May-2011 at 20:54
Asia is full of exotic weapons: some weird, some beautiful and many that are deadly. This thread will describe the most notable, starting with the kukri.

This deadly blade, derived from the single-edged swords used by Alexander's Greek troops, is carried by brave Gurkha soldiers instead of a bayonet in a scabbard which also contains a matching knife and fork. The kukhri is heavy enough to chop wood but sharp enough to prepare food. The curved design enables the soldier to cut an enemy's throat, while the grip is widest at the ends so as not to slip from a sweat or blood soaked hand. The notches, now used to open bottles, were originally intended to trap an enemy blade. During the war Kukhris, made by local craftsmen, were often carried by many British and Australian troops in the Pacific and proved invaluable in the dangerous jungles.

-------------
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!

Replies:
Posted By: Cryptic
Date Posted: 17-May-2011 at 21:46
Originally posted by Nick1986

The curved design enables the soldier to cut an enemy's throat
Though I am sure it can be used for that as well, I think the Kukri is primarily a chopping weapon.
The Kukri was originally an all purpose farm tool that could be used the chop wood,  prepare a small patch of ground for planting (Nepalese hills limited large scale farming) etc.  When turned into a weapo, it kept its axe like characteristics.  The curved design focuses the force of a chopping blow on a very small point (similar to an axe). 

Posted By: opuslola
Date Posted: 17-May-2011 at 21:48
It looks more like a really good throat cutter to me! But everyone to one's on tastes!

Regards,

-------------
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/

Date Posted: 23-May-2011 at 19:52

The Kris originated in Malaya or Indonesia. These have traditionally been used to settle disputes for centuries. A skilled swordsman could, with a deft twist of the wrist, break the tip of the blade and leave it lodged in his enemy's body.

-------------

Date Posted: 24-May-2011 at 19:19

The Khanda is a fearsome Indian sword designed to combat armored opponents. Its grip enables it to be used one or two-handed and the serrated blade is designed to cause maximum damage. However, despite its reputation it wasn't the most reliable weapon. One Rajput king, angered that his army had been defeated, struck a general with a khanda but the man was unharmed

-------------

Date Posted: 25-May-2011 at 19:45

The Indian Katar is one of the weirdest Oriental weapons. This thrusting dagger, used by Hindu warriors, was often made from broken sword-blades. It incorporated two pistols that could be fired by squeezing the bars together and was sometimes fitted with a guard that enclosed the entire hand.

-------------

Posted By: red clay
Date Posted: 26-May-2011 at 09:38
I have seen a version of that weapon, made in the US about 1850.  The blade was longer, a lot longer and the description I read with it stated the guns were more used to free the blade after a killing thrust. 

-------------
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.

Date Posted: 26-May-2011 at 21:59

Do you have a picture of it? Similar weapons (like this Belgian knife pistol) were used in Europe to kill wounded beasts. These resembled cutlasses or hangers and would be thrust into the boar's neck before pulling the trigger to obliterate its brain

-------------

Date Posted: 27-May-2011 at 20:59

The tulwar is an Indian sword of Persian origin. It was the weapon of Tippu Sultan during his wars against the East India Company. Looking at the blade, you can see where the Brits got the design of their 1796 light cavalry sabre.

-------------

Date Posted: 28-May-2011 at 21:38
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/6/fakirhorns5lk.jpg/">
Fakirs had some particulary weird daggers as their religion prohibited them from carrying conventional weapons. These "fakir's horns" made from spear points were held in the left hand to parry sword-thrusts

-------------

Date Posted: 30-May-2011 at 13:10

The Fakir's Crutch was an early example of the swordstick. In itself it was unremarkable except for its unusual handle which ensured excellent protection for the user's fingers. The metal sheath was often wielded in the other hand to defend against the enemy's sword

-------------

Date Posted: 30-May-2011 at 16:27
So, Nick this is but another example of an armoured "walking stick" or "Cane?"

-------------

Date Posted: 30-May-2011 at 19:39

That's right. The unusual handle enabled the fakir to use his crutch as a seat. Another version had a spike in the handle itself and was used like a mace or pick

-------------

Date Posted: 31-May-2011 at 19:41
This is a bhuj: the Indian counterpart of the medieval glaive. It consisted of a sword-blade on the end of a long pole. Some had a second spear-point on the other end or unscrewed to provide the user with a long knife and a mace

-------------

Date Posted: 01-Jun-2011 at 20:24

Sikh warriors had a special piece of weaponised headgear known as a "fortress turban". In addition to making the wearer look taller and more intimidating the turban could be used to store weapons. An example preserved in the British Museum comprises six types of throwing knife, a garrotting wire, a crescent shaped parrying weapon, and at least seven throwing discs of varying sizes known as chakram

-------------

Date Posted: 04-Jun-2011 at 20:45

Some Indian swords look very European in appearance. This Tulwar has a similar handle to British cavalry swords of the 18th century

-------------

Date Posted: 07-Jun-2011 at 21:27
There are also examples of swords fitted with European blades and decorated with Indian engraving

-------------

Date Posted: 11-Jun-2011 at 20:31

Turkish weapons have some beautiful engraving. This double-barreled blunderbuss has precious stones set into the stock

-------------

Date Posted: 12-Jun-2011 at 19:24

The urumi is a lethal metal whip usually concealed in a waist sash. Its design enabled the user to strangle an enemy. These had considerable reach and four blades to inflict maximum damage.

-------------

Posted By: Baal Melqart
Date Posted: 13-Jun-2011 at 13:46
Nick already briefly mentioned this but one of the most interesting weapons of India was the chakram. It was basically an aerodynamic throwing disk with very sharp ends. It came in various sizes and had many uses other than simply throwing. Sikh warriors would carry many small and big chakras on their turbans and hands. The small one held in the wrist can be used to twist and break an opponent's arm or even disarm him. When thrown directly they are fatal and if the situation required it then they could be used as a dagger to slit an opponent's throat open.

Here is a full episode of weapon masters where you can pretty much know everything about this exotic weapon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDNw2slOK3Y - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDNw2slOK3Y

-------------
Timidi mater non flet

Date Posted: 13-Jun-2011 at 20:42
Good post Baal

-------------

Posted By: Arab
Date Posted: 14-Jun-2011 at 16:44
The jezail was a type of musket used in central and southern Asia. Famously used by the Afghans to drive out the British during the Anglo-Afghan wars. Often they were made from the spare parts of British guns. They were highly valued and usually beautifully decorated.

-------------
"Prayer is when you talk to God. Insanity is when you talk to God and he answers back."

Date Posted: 14-Jun-2011 at 19:04
The jezail is a beautiful gun. These outclassed the Brown Bess and some had similar range to the latest rifles. During the Afghan War rebels would snipe at the British from hillsides or abandoned forts, safely out of range of the inaccurate muskets

-------------

Date Posted: 15-Jun-2011 at 19:52
Was the Jezail's curved butt designed so it could be fired when riding?

-------------

Posted By: Arab
Date Posted: 15-Jun-2011 at 20:21

http://pashtuncultureandhistory.blogspot.com/2010/07/jezail-was-reverse-engineered-musket-or.html - http://pashtuncultureandhistory.blogspot.com/2010/07/jezail-was-reverse-engineered-musket-or.html

According to the link (got some great pictures too), "The added length of the jezail also made reloading easier from horseback, as the butt stock would rest upon the ground while the muzzle would be at eye level. The jezail was fired using a horn or metal bi-pod, and it has been speculated that the highly curved stock was tucked under the arm and cradled tightly against the body, as opposed to being held to the shoulder like a standard musket or rifle. The argument against this method of firing is that the flash pan would be dangerously close to the face and the weapon would be harder to aim. It is more likely that the rifle was only tucked under the arm of the rider whilst riding horse or camel."

-------------
"Prayer is when you talk to God. Insanity is when you talk to God and he answers back."

Date Posted: 16-Jun-2011 at 19:14
How did they get it to outrange the British guns it was built from? The jezail used the same lock and barrel as the Enfield and Brown Bess but outranged them by as much as 300 yards

-------------

Date Posted: 02-Jul-2011 at 20:38
Perhaps the Afghans used different gunpowder and bullets to the British? I'd like the opinion of an expert to determine whether the amount of gunpowder in a single charge and a smaller bullet increase or reduce the range

-------------

Date Posted: 02-Jul-2011 at 21:14

Perhaps the Afghans used different gunpowder and bullets to the British?
That is a good possibility.  Modern "match grade" ammunition is more costly and when used by the military, it is usually given only to ultra elite units, snipers and shooting teams.  The cartridges, powder, bullet are manufactured to higher tolerances giving better and equally important to a skilled shooter, very consistant ballistic performance.

Anyways...

The each Afghan owned his own weapon and provided his own ammunition.   Some Afghans may of had a source of hand crafted ammunition where the weight of the bullet and the powder behind it were consistant and made to a high quality.  Meanwile, the British soldiers could have been using ammunition from a variety of bidders and different quality standards.  

Date Posted: 09-Jul-2011 at 20:32

£2000 of British education falls to a 10 rupee jezail

-------------

Date Posted: 10-Jul-2011 at 21:01

I'll have to upload a picture of my Indo-Persian axe (similar in shape to the one above). Mine has a blade with Arabic letters, a sharp spike which seems to have been used to impale something, and a pattern welded haft decorated with foliage.

-------------

Date Posted: 11-Jul-2011 at 20:18

My Turkish dagger. Similar weapons were used as sidearms by the Cossacks

-------------

Date Posted: 18-Jul-2011 at 13:29

The jambiya originated in Arabia and spread throughout Africa and Asia. These can be found as far south as Sudan, as far east as India and as far north as the Caucasus. The best daggers are made from a rhinoceros horn and decorated with precious stones and silver to demonstrate the individual's wealth

-------------

Date Posted: 18-Jul-2011 at 15:34
To all posters, I have been on a vacation of sorts, so this is my first chance back to condratulate all of you for the class of your postings!

Good Show, what!

-------------

Date Posted: 19-Jul-2011 at 00:38
Wow, your collection is sharp (literally, as well as figuratively)Wink.  How did you get interested in collecting weapons?  Usually, weapons are not my area of interest, though I do admire the craftsmanship in some of them. Have you seen this site?  It is a forum dedicated to collectig ethnographic weapons.  http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2 - http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2

Date Posted: 01-Aug-2011 at 21:17
Originally posted by Cryptic

Wow, your collection is sharp (literally, as well as figuratively)Wink.  How did you get interested in collecting weapons?  Usually, weapons are not my area of interest, though I do admire the craftsmanship in some of them. Have you seen this site?  It is a forum dedicated to collectig ethnographic weapons.  http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2 - http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2

I have been interested in weapons since childhood. It may have been because my grandparents gave me a pistol-shaped cigarette lighter, or because my dad brought me up on Westerns. My first real weapon was an Enfield bayonet from the Crimean War i bought shortly before i started re-enacting. My collection currently comprises a musket, a revolver, a replica deringer, two pistol lighters, two swords, three bayonets, one axe, 4 daggers and a lot of pocket knives

-------------

Date Posted: 10-Aug-2011 at 19:58

Let's go even further east. The balisong or butterfly knife is a traditional weapon in the Philippines resembling a closed fan. It can be easily concealed and quickly opened with one hand. I saw one at a car boot sale shortly before they were banned and deeply regret not buying it

-------------

Date Posted: 13-Aug-2011 at 17:20

Perhaps Ollios can tell us more about this Turkish sword: the Yataghan?

-------------

Posted By: Baal Melqart
Date Posted: 14-Aug-2011 at 07:11

The jambiya originated in Arabia and spread throughout Africa and Asia. These can be found as far south as Sudan, as far east as India and as far north as the Caucasus. The best daggers are made from a rhinoceros horn and decorated with precious stones and silver to demonstrate the individual's wealth

Good one, they still wear those in Yemen. Actually, there is not one man who doesn't carry a dagger to his left side over there. Sort of an Arab version of Texas, hehe :)

-------------
Timidi mater non flet

Date Posted: 22-Aug-2011 at 19:23
It's been a while since anyone has posted here. Where have all our Asian weapon experts gone?

-------------

Date Posted: 28-Aug-2011 at 20:08

The Burmese dha was, together with the kukri, a popular private-purchase for British and Australian troops in the Pacific. It had a long blade and double-handed grip and may have been copied from the Chinese dao sword or Japanese katana

-------------

Date Posted: 31-Aug-2011 at 19:58

This 18th century Persian trophy of arms include an interesting double-bladed spear, a bull-shaped mace and two unusual looking muskets

-------------

Date Posted: 02-Sep-2011 at 19:07

A Persian Zulfiqar sword, named after the weapon of Ali. Its curved blade and serrated edges were intended to inflict very deep wounds

-------------

Date Posted: 08-Sep-2011 at 10:52

A kelewang or parang from Malaya with buffalo horn hilt. Its blade is made of pamored steel, pattern-welded from the cores of meteorites

-------------

Date Posted: 09-Sep-2011 at 19:58

The ankusa was used to control war elephants: the largest weapons of the Mughal army. Each elephant was protected by armor plate. On its back was a howdah containing musketeers, archers and grenadiers

-------------

Date Posted: 11-Sep-2011 at 10:03

The largest and most powerful Asian weapon, the war elephant was used from the time of Alexander until the 19th century. Hannibal used them to cross the Alps and the king of Thailand offered to send a division to help the North during the American Civil War

-------------

Date Posted: 11-Sep-2011 at 21:53

Indian muskets had an enclosed lock to keep the match dry in wet weather. They often had intricate engraved metalwork and painted stocks

-------------

Date Posted: 13-Sep-2011 at 20:11

The gun at the top is an excellent example of a painted Indian musket. Sadly the internet (especially google) is really lousy regarding good quality images of antique guns. I might have to scan a few more pictures from Mr Ricketts' book as his 40-year-old photographs put modern weapons forums to shame

-------------

Date Posted: 14-Sep-2011 at 20:01

These vicious metal claws, the Bagh Nakh, were used by fakirs who imitated the attacks of a tiger. Identical weapons were used in Africa by the Leopard Men: a cannibalistic cult seeking to overthrow British rule

-------------

Date Posted: 15-Sep-2011 at 20:57

A Nepalese sacrificial sword called a Ram Dao. Its blade delivered a single powerful killing-blow but was so heavy it had to be wielded dual-handed

-------------

Date Posted: 16-Sep-2011 at 19:39

The Tibetans once had a reputation as fierce warriors. This large-caliber musket was among the first to have a bipod, enabling its user to make the best use of his native mountainous-terrain

-------------

Date Posted: 03-Oct-2011 at 21:59

A more recent Asian weapon: the Bangalore Torpedo of WW1 invented by Indian engineers. This was basically a metal tube stuffed with explosives used to clear barbed wire

-------------

Posted By: balochii
Date Posted: 03-Oct-2011 at 23:28
wow i never realised our ancestors in the south asian region made so many amazing weapons. Greats pics!! where are you getting them from?

Date Posted: 04-Oct-2011 at 20:25
Various sources. I have several books on antique weapons, a friend who collects them, and my own modest collection

-------------

Date Posted: 18-Oct-2011 at 20:13

An interesting chart depicting the swords of India. Note the similarity of weapons like the Kukhri, Pattan and Ram Dao to the ancient Greek Kopis, doubtlessly introduced by Alexander's invading armies

-------------

Date Posted: 31-Oct-2011 at 19:26

The Chinese Dao may also have evolved from the original Greek designs. It's not implausible to suggest swords of this type were introduced by the first Buddhist missionaries, complementing the jian swords then in use

-------------

Date Posted: 02-Nov-2011 at 19:10

An engraved Colt Dragoon belonging to the Turkish Sultan. In another thread Ollios posted a picture of a Smith and Wesson with gold-plating and retractable blade

-------------

Date Posted: 03-Nov-2011 at 22:01

Indian's supergun, the Jaivana cannon. Due to its weight it was pulled by a team of oxen

-------------

Date Posted: 04-Nov-2011 at 20:02

Many Indian cannons were cast to resemble demons, dragons or monsters. This one, made in the form of a tiger, belonged to Tippu Sultan

-------------

Date Posted: 05-Nov-2011 at 20:25

This is a strange one. It was designed to fire a volley of musket balls at enemy troops

-------------

Date Posted: 06-Nov-2011 at 20:34

An interesting assortment of antique guns for sale at an Afghan market. I pity the fool crazy enough to use them on the firing range

-------------

Posted By: ConradWeiser
Date Posted: 08-Nov-2011 at 18:46
Nice topic. I haven't even seen some of these before. Great work.

-------------
Another year! Another deadly blow!
Another mighty empire overthrown!
And we are left, or shall be left, alone.
-William Wordsworth

Date Posted: 08-Nov-2011 at 19:22
Thanks Conrad

-------------

Date Posted: 09-Nov-2011 at 19:57

A Mughal mortar used to defend the fort at Jodhpur. Note the Middle Eastern geometric patterns

-------------

Date Posted: 11-Nov-2011 at 19:54

Indian copy of an English pistol. The stock resembles a late 17th century design, but the lock is unmistakably 19th century. Guns like this, made from a variety of scavenged components, were commonplace in the colonies, especially the backwoods of the American South where poor farmers, with a basic knowledge of metalworking, cobbled together rough "barn guns" for home defence, hunting and slaughtering livestock well into the late 19th century

-------------

Date Posted: 17-Nov-2011 at 20:35

"Kim's Gun," a famous cannon at Lahore also known as Zamzama. A second gun was cast and is now preserved in Afghanistan

-------------

Date Posted: 22-Nov-2011 at 19:29

A very primitive peasant's knife from India, probably made from the blade of a sickle

-------------

Date Posted: 06-Dec-2011 at 19:43

Like fakirs, Buddhist monks were also forbidden from carrying conventional weapons. These hook swords originated in China and are particularly effective against polearms

-------------

Date Posted: 21-Dec-2011 at 19:19

Another Ram Dao, used for sacrificing water buffalo

-------------

Date Posted: 22-Dec-2011 at 19:03

A collection of Indian axes. Now we know where the Royal Navy got the design for their boarding hatchet

-------------

Date Posted: 02-Jan-2012 at 22:11

This bronze central Asian spearhead from 2500 BC has vicious barbs to prevent the victim from removing it from the wound

-------------

Date Posted: 09-Jan-2012 at 20:27

A ship's cannon from Brunei used by Malayan or Dayak pirates. It is decorated with a saltwater crocodile and, according to the link, was damaged by an explosion in the breech

-------------

Date Posted: 10-Jan-2012 at 22:12

Indian dagger with curved blade, "pistol" hilt, and brass knuckle guard to ensure a good grip

-------------

Date Posted: 15-Jan-2012 at 19:19

East Indian Bulova war axe. More photos of this weapon can be found http://www.ashokaarts.com/shop/bullova-axe-from-chota-nagpur-orissa-or-eastern-india - here

-------------

Date Posted: 16-Jan-2012 at 19:21

-------------

Date Posted: 17-Jan-2012 at 19:46

An Indian "tiger fork" used by those who accompanied the hunter on foot. Like the European boar-spear it has three blades so the wounded beast can't move down the shaft and attack the wielder

-------------

Date Posted: 20-Jan-2012 at 19:32

A Burmese spear or lance. The website where this photo comes from has many other interesting Asian weapons

-------------

Date Posted: 22-Jan-2012 at 19:39

Japanese spear or halberd forged in a similar way to katana blades

-------------

Posted By: lirelou
Date Posted: 22-Jan-2012 at 20:27
Military kukris do  not come with a small knife and fork, as you will see in the photos of the attached lnk.  There are two small knives, whose function I have long forgotten. Also, that is not a 'bottle opener'. As explained to me by LTC Ashtok Mehta, CO of the 2/5th Gurkha Rifles (Frontier Forces), it had to do with Hindu symbolism. Sorry I don't remember more. 

http://www.swordforum.com/forums/showthread.php?91094-indian-army-nepal-army-kukris - http://www.swordforum.com/forums/showthread.php?91094-indian-army-nepal-army-kukris

ps, I remember a line from Frazer's Flashman novels (Flashman and the Mountain of Light) to the effect that the colonial wars in India were greatly misunderstood in England. The Company's troops, and later the British Indian Army, were not up against primitive peoples. Rather, they were up against peoples whose technology often equaled their own. The Sikhs, for instance, could cast their own cannon. The Indian states had a long history of inter-state conflict and a high level of technological military prowess. The British were intelligent enough to capitalize on India's numerous military traditions, incorporating them into the Indian Army of the Raj. Thus while the modern Indian Army only dates to 1947, many of the regiments who compose it have recognized historical traditions going back to both the Raj and earlier, as reflected in their regimental titles and dress. 

-------------
Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá gì

Posted By: RobinOne
Date Posted: 22-Jan-2012 at 22:47

Date Posted: 22-Jan-2012 at 22:50
Can anyone tell me about this old Polearm?  I think it is a Chinese Qing dynasty sword parrying weapon, maybe from the green banner troops?  I did find some of these that were ceremonial in nature and placed in the imperial palace??  This came out of a Masonic lodge, on the staff it measures around 7 1/2" long and is very well made.  The iron was painted with gold paint.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Date Posted: 22-Jan-2012 at 22:51
Sorry, mistake above, it measures around 7 1/2' tall total length with the original old hardwood handle.  Anyway thanks

Date Posted: 23-Jan-2012 at 19:20
Originally posted by RobinOne

Interesting. This halberd is one of the 18 weapons a Shaolin monk has to master. The crescent blade could be used both for parrying and for slashing. Some had two blades of this type, plus a wavy spear-point similar to a Malayan kris

-------------

Date Posted: 24-Jan-2012 at 19:22
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=S7O9g4-tzFMC&lpg=PA7&dq=shaolin%20crescent%20spear&pg=PA7#v=onepage&q&f=false - Mastering Kung Fu

-------------

Date Posted: 25-Jan-2012 at 19:09
Originally posted by RobinOne

Sorry, mistake above, it measures around 7 1/2' tall total length with the original old hardwood handle.  Anyway thanks

Robin, can you tell us more about your spear? It might be a ceremonial piece or flagstaff as i can't tell whether the edges have been sharpened

-------------

Date Posted: 26-Jan-2012 at 19:43

A dha from Thailand, very similar in appearance to the Burmese sword

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Jan-2012 at 19:09

Another unusual Thai sword. This one has a curved handle

-------------

Posted By: TheAlaniDragonRising
Date Posted: 27-Jan-2012 at 19:22

Another unusual Thai sword. This one has a curved handle
I've just looked that monster up, Nick, and it is called a Dah sword and is 47 inches long, with a blade, which is slightly up turned at 32 inches long, with an ivory handle which is 15 inches long and 2 inches diameter, with chased silver collar and pommel. I think it said it might have just been ornamental. Although there was also some talk about elephant weaponry, though maybe not that likely. 

-------------
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.

Date Posted: 28-Jan-2012 at 19:17
Thanks Alani. I'd like to know the function of that unusual handle. I suppose it's possible that it was attached to a war elephant's tusk, but such weapons were usually removable

-------------

Date Posted: 28-Jan-2012 at 19:36

Thanks Alani. I'd like to know the function of that unusual handle. I suppose it's possible that it was attached to a war elephant's tusk, but such weapons were usually removable
Here is a picture of the sword's possible use, Nick.

undefined

-------------
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.

Date Posted: 29-Jan-2012 at 19:18
Cool. I've never heard of elephants trained to use swords before

-------------

Date Posted: 30-Jan-2012 at 19:22

A Chinese officer's baton, used both as a mace and a display of rank similar to the Roman centurion's wooden staff

-------------

Date Posted: 01-Feb-2012 at 19:15

Some strange looking Indian daggers, one of which has two blades

-------------

Date Posted: 02-Feb-2012 at 19:04

An Indian "royal sickle" very similar to the ancient Canaanite and Egyptian sickle-swords

-------------

Date Posted: 03-Feb-2012 at 19:30

Japanese hachiwara designed to shatter the brass and bamboo armor worn by samurai

-------------

Date Posted: 03-Feb-2012 at 19:45

Japanese hachiwara designed to shatter the brass and bamboo armor worn by samurai
Who would use such a weapon, Nick?

-------------

Date Posted: 04-Feb-2012 at 19:07

More Indian tridents, traditionally a Hindu weapon. Some of the bigger ones were used in warfare, but others were simple fishing spears

-------------

Date Posted: 05-Feb-2012 at 19:15

An Indian "royal sickle" very similar to the ancient Canaanite and Egyptian sickle-swords

I'd like to find out more about this vicious weapon. It looks primitive, yet has an intricately decorated handle

-------------

Date Posted: 06-Feb-2012 at 19:02
Disappointingly, it turns out that it wasn't a weapon at all, just a ceremonial Nepalese sickle

-------------

Date Posted: 06-Feb-2012 at 20:00
It might even be a rice sickle, Nick.

-------------

Date Posted: 07-Feb-2012 at 19:14
Originally posted by TheAlaniDragonRising

It might even be a rice sickle, Nick.

It's possible, but the handle is much too ornate for a simple everyday tool

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com