Forum Discription: The Middle Ages: AD 500-1500
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3247
Printed Date: 25-Apr-2024 at 06:34
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Your best medieval army?
Posted By: Guests
Subject: Your best medieval army?
Date Posted: 05-May-2005 at 06:30

How do choose your best medieval army (10 000 soldier)?

Wich tactic do you choose?

I prefer:

2/3 cavalry, 1/3 infantrychemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" />>>

>>

CAVALRY :>>

5 000 Heavy Knights: most important part in my army, equiped with heavy gothic-plate armor of proff (witch resist agaisnt arrow, crossbow blots, pistol or arquebus balls) armed with lances and swords. Mounted on knightly horses equiped with heavy armor (bard with flanchard, crinet, crupper, peytral, shaffron…)>>

2 000 light cavalry of mounted archers protected by a light armor with cuirass and mail, gauntlet, greaves also armed with gun pistol and  sword, mace and shield>>

>>

INFANTRY>>

- equiped with light chain mail, sallet, >>

- armed with shield, long knifes, dagger,  sword, war hammer or axe or mace for hand to hand combat>>

1 000 archers (mix of longbowmen and arbalestrers)>>

1 000 men armed with gunpowder (arquebus for exemple)>>

1 000 pikemen (like Swiss Halberdiers) with hallebards or fauchards or gisarme,>>

>>

Tactic:>>

- First attack by infantry shooting against ennemy>>

- Charge of heavy cavalry in 2 assaults to break ennemy ranks >>

- Assault by the rest of heavy cavalry and all the light cavalry against flanks of ennemy>>

- Attack by infantry >>

With a good chain of command, my heavy knights can not be defeated by an other medieval army.

Wath do you think?

Replies:
Posted By: Mangudai
Date Posted: 06-May-2005 at 07:49
10 000 swiss pikemen will defeat anything in it's path, except maybe steppe horse-archers

Posted By: akıncı
Date Posted: 06-May-2005 at 12:00
10 000 mongol-seljuk horse archers.Pretty neat

-------------
"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

Date Posted: 06-May-2005 at 12:33
000 Heavy Knights: most important part in my army, equiped with heavy gothic-plate armor of proff (witch resist agaisnt arrow, crossbow blots, pistol or arquebus balls) armed with lances and swords. Mounted on knightly horses equiped with heavy armor (bard with flanchard, crinet, crupper, peytral, shaffron…)>>

2 000 light cavalry of mounted archers protected by a light armor with cuirass and mail, gauntlet, greaves also armed with gun pistol and  sword, mace and shield>>

My answer to your question;

ever heard of leignizt?

My tactic is that since heavy cavalary will never catch up with HA,shower them with arrows.Even barded horsed will die  and the men's morale will flynch.

I would use a simple turkish tactic using the parthian shot,makke them chase me,then my mongol cavalary will attack after you are dismounted,tired and angry.The mongol heavy cavalary will crush these tired men(ajn jalut,the mongols destroyed the entire left flank of the mamlukes)

Your 1000 archers will die beacuse we will chace them and kill them with litlle amount of men dieng because of the special mongol armour.

The gunpowder men will fire slowly,no match against HA

Pikemen?

Again, a simple turkic tactic would do

I am counting the impetious charge of "noble"cavalary.

-------------
"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

Posted By: Gazi
Date Posted: 06-May-2005 at 13:57

Yup heres mine;

INFANTRY;20.000 Bashibouzuks (Turkish ,Kurdish,Armenan,Albanian,SerbianBulgarian bandits armed with anything they could get their hands on.)5000 Janissaries (the most vital part of the army 2000 with muskets and 3000 with chainmail ,polearm,sword and bow)And around 10.000 Gazis (Weapons varied but as they believed they were guided by God they were quite brave)5000 Tüfenkçis(troops armed with fine muskets)

CAVALRY : 15.000 Sipahis (the backbone of my army armed according to the wealth of the Timar fief they come from.But most had bows)2000 Kapikulu Sipahis (think of them roughly mounted Janissaries) 8000 Turcoman tribal horse archers

And I could also have a few guns (I suppose around 30 would be enough)

My tactics would depend on the army I am facing,the weather and terrain.

-------------
“Freedom is the recognition of necessity.”-Friedrich Engels

Date Posted: 09-May-2005 at 08:26
Originally posted by akıncı

My tactic is that since heavy cavalary will never catch up with HA,shower them with arrows.Even barded horsed will die  and the men's morale will flynch.

Heavy cavalry routed horse-archers at several occasions - like at Lechsfield and during the first Crusade - noteably at Dorylaeum, Ascalon and Orontes 

Your 1000 archers will die beacuse we will chace them and kill them with litlle amount of men dieng because of the special mongol armour.

Special armour? AFAK the mongols actually feared european crossbowmen

Pikemen?

If there are a strong number of well-drilled pikemen that won't succumb to the archery, then what are you gonna do?

Date Posted: 09-May-2005 at 09:30

Special armour? AFAK the mongols actually feared european crossbowmen

I am talking about normal archers.And yes,the crossbow would inflict huge damages but be destroyed because of firing too slowly

If there are a strong number of well-drilled pikemen that won't succumb to the archery, then what are you gonna do?

What can you do against a foe that you can't get near?The'll keep shooting

Special armour?

Even knights feared crossbowmen,in normal bows,the combination of armour that the mongols used prevnted them from having severe wounds

Heavy cavalry routed horse-archers at several occasions - like at Lechsfield and during the first Crusade - noteably at Dorylaeum, Ascalon and Orontes 

They fought against seljuks.And the seljuks attacked too soon

again,liegnitz?

-------------

Date Posted: 09-May-2005 at 10:07

I am talking about normal archers.And yes,the crossbow would inflict huge damages but be destroyed because of firing too slowly

Yet the crossbowmen in Richard's army defeated the muslim horsearchers at Arsuf 1191. Actually, modern crossbowmen have achieved a rate of fire at 12 bolts/ minute. Although extreme, they weren't that slow as commonly thought. Also, crossbowmen tended to be protected by pavises.

What can you do against a foe that you can't get near?The'll keep shooting

The pikemen can do little, but if the horsearchers can't break them, the battle will turn out as a draw. Or the scenario can be that when the HA have spent all their arrows on the pikemen, the knights in Marcos army can counterattack

Even knights feared crossbowmen,in normal bows,the combination of armour that the mongols used prevnted them from having severe wounds

In a contest of pure firepower the mongols would probably win. But if the archers had pavises, protective stakes and other field defenses?

They fought against seljuks.And the seljuks attacked too soon

again,liegnitz?

You claimed that heavy cavalry never can reach the horsearchers, which is untrue 

Posted By: Gazi
Date Posted: 09-May-2005 at 11:05

000 Heavy Knights: most important part in my army, equiped with heavy gothic-plate armor of proff (witch resist agaisnt arrow, crossbow blots, pistol or arquebus balls) armed with lances and swords. Mounted on knightly horses equiped with heavy armor (bard with flanchard, crinet, crupper, peytral, shaffron…)>>

My answer to your question;

ever heard of leignizt?

I would use a simple turkish tactic using the parthian shot,makke them chase me,then my mongol cavalary will attack after you are dismounted,tired and angry.The mongol heavy cavalary will crush these tired men(ajn jalut,the mongols destroyed the entire left flank of the mamlukes)

Pikemen?

I am counting the impetious charge of "noble"cavalary.

Akıncı You can NOT win a battle only using horse archery tactics.You need heavy (or at least medium) cavalry as well.The Mongols had heavy cavalry, the Seljuks had Ghulams even ancient steppe armies had some sort of heavyish cavalry(yariqli atli or sth like that)

-------------
“Freedom is the recognition of necessity.”-Friedrich Engels

Date Posted: 09-May-2005 at 11:16

true

I pick the mongol army then

-------------

Posted By: Temujin
Date Posted: 10-May-2005 at 14:22
Originally posted by Mangudai

The pikemen can do little, but if the horsearchers can't break them, the battle will turn out as a draw. Or the scenario can be that when the HA have spent all their arrows on the pikemen, the knights in Marcos army can counterattack

well, when did that ever happen? just look at how the Parthians resuplied themselves with arrows at Harran.

-------------

Posted By: vulkan02
Date Posted: 10-May-2005 at 20:11
depends where you fight, terrain is the key.... Parthains fought on an open field where the Romans had no chance to move plus the desert sand made it very hard for them to see and coordinate. 

-------------
The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao

Date Posted: 11-May-2005 at 05:37
Originally posted by Temujin

Originally posted by Mangudai

well, when did that ever happen? just look at how the Parthians resuplied themselves with arrows at Harran.

Harran is the only occasion I know of where the horsearchers were resupplied

Date Posted: 11-May-2005 at 14:42
but something like resuplying isn't often mentioned in battle describtions at all, and tell me a battle describtion were horse archers ever run out of ammo....and remember, HA were supposed to carry additional quivers.

-------------

Posted By: SonoftheUSA
Date Posted: 14-May-2005 at 18:14
combination of archers and men-at-arms like Edward III's army at Crecy

-------------
US patriot from the great state of Mississippi

Posted By: EvilNed
Date Posted: 23-May-2005 at 02:57

I'm not claiming to be an expert on Medieval tactics, but there are some things which I'd like to contribute with:

I've done quite a bit of research on Liegnitz, and from what I can tell, the horse archers didn't fare that well against the polish cavalry at all. Remember, there were about 10,000 men on both sides, and it was in no way an easy victory for the mongols. Also, the mongols had MUCH more horse archers than the polish had heavy cavalry, so any such comparison cannot be made. I believe it's basicly up to the terrain and commander of who'd win between these two.

As for another Horse Archer tactic: There was a battle fought under the gunpowder age (forgot which one), where gunpowder soldiers, protected by polearm soldiers, utterly destroyed heavy cavalry. Now, replace the heavy cavalry with horse archers, and the gunpowder units with crossbowmen (or arbalests, since christian kings were allowed to use them against non-christian ), and you've got a sure-fire way to get rid of some mongols (or turks).

Posted By: John the Kern
Date Posted: 23-May-2005 at 05:54
2/3 Longbowmen last third into two groups but mostly footmen with billhooks , the smaller part being of course knights, have to keep the illsusion of chivalry alive dont we

-------------
My peoples tale is written in blood

Posted By: Gavriel
Date Posted: 18-Jun-2005 at 19:23
I would choose
5000 Longbowmen
3000 Men at arms
2000 Knights
Damn,no more men left for the Hublar scouts or the cannons(i know the cannons EdwardIII had at Crecy were rubbish but hell,they scared the horses)

Posted By: Jagatai Khan
Date Posted: 23-Jun-2005 at 03:37

5.000 Selchukid Cavalry,2.000 Mongolian Horse Archer with 3.000 Ottoman first-period janissaries.

-------------

Posted By: maersk
Date Posted: 14-Jul-2005 at 14:19
the only reason why otto won at letchfeld was because the magyars where trapped by a river and couldent use their mobility

-------------
"behold, vajik, khan of the magyars, scourge of the pannonian plain!"

Posted By: Reginmund
Date Posted: 14-Jul-2005 at 14:26
Originally posted by maersk

the only reason why otto won at letchfeld was because the magyars where trapped by a river and couldent use their mobility

In other words; for once they were forced to fight like men, and lost.

-------------

Posted By: Byzantine Emperor
Date Posted: 14-Jul-2005 at 15:22
Here is my army, what might have been found in Basil II's reign in the Byzantine Empire, 10th century AD:

CAVALRY

2,000 Heavily armored Cataphracts and Clibanophoroi: Cataphracts armed with lances and swords as a secondary weapon, with chain mail armor for rider and horse. Clibanophoroi armed with maces, with breastplates and chain mail for both rider and horse. Clibs. also have characteristic Sassanian gold face armor.

3,000 Lightly armed cavalry: Mounted bowmen with eastern-style steppe bows and swords, light chainmail armor.

INFANTRY:

3,000 Mercenary and Thematic infantry: Arab infantry with light chain mail, scimitars; Bulgarian infantry with light chain mail and swords, axes; Thematic infatry similarly armed

500 heavily armed Varangian Guardsmen: Mostly Sicilian Norman and Saxon, armed with axes and straight swords, with heavy metal scale armor and tall triangular shields

1,500 archers: lightly armored with curved bows or throwing spears

-------------
http://www.allempires.net/forum_posts.asp?TID=12713 - Late Byzantine Military
http://www.allempires.net/forum_posts.asp?TID=17337 - Ottoman perceptions of the Americas

Date Posted: 15-Jul-2005 at 18:15

Originally posted by maersk

if so, then why did the Magyars lost the battle of Riade...?

-------------

Date Posted: 15-Jul-2005 at 19:18

well, it depends who are u gonna fight.

If I was going against a european nation,

5000 man at arms (well trained and discipline)

500 crossbowmen 500archers

3000 heavy calvary and other thousand skirmish horses.

If going against Turks, believe it or not, heavy knights should me numberous like 5000 and attack in waves light fast moving infantry that would be able to strike after calvary and then keep pounding turkihs infantry from sides with more and more kights. Turkish spahi would destroy european infantry very quickly ()  So make sure the battle does not last long. the only way Serbs/Bosnian nad Hungarian medieval armies ever won a battle against discipline turks is when calvary charged the (flags) Generals and capitan's units and scared em away.  Heavy calvary is useful in Europe where battlefileds are not huge and flat. thunderous charge form the hill with enemy not being able to spread too much, now middle east is a different game.

Posted By: Ikki
Date Posted: 29-Jul-2005 at 20:22
I like the crusader army of Arsuf, it was effective against turks or other christian. The crossbowmen protected by pavises and the men at arms, the cavalry hope his oportunity and attacking supported by infantry; crossbowmen and not archers because i prefer the power of the crossbow. But i will add two typical warriors of Spain: almugavars and jinetes, a flexible and fast weapon for a heavy army, very well against both enemies.

Right:

3000 crossbowen
3000 men at arms
1000 almugavars
1000 jinetes
2000 heavy cavalry

Posted By: Nagyfejedelem
Date Posted: 22-Aug-2005 at 05:45

My bests are the Hungarian horsemen from 10th century. They attacked and defeated every countries of Europe except Scandinavia and the British isles.  They were called the horsemen of Apocalypse, however they had only tipical nomad technics and tactics. They usually destroyed quite bigger armies and visited twice the Atlantic ocean, owerwrote achievement of Attila.

Posted By: Quetzalcoatl
Date Posted: 22-Aug-2005 at 21:37

10,000 heavily armoured infantry with large shield and throwing javelin and a long  sword. Deployed in regiments just behind the crossbowmen and bombards

10, 000 heavy cavalry. Flank and screen

10,000 crossbowmen and hand canoneers . Infront of infantry operate with large wooden about 3 m high with apertures (especially when fighting agains range units and during a siege)

50 bombards (a crew of about 500), 5 giant trebuchet (100 operators each) for siege.Somewhere among the crossbowmen but also protected by wooden shield. Rapidly retreated behind infantry if the enemy charge them.

2,000 pikemen heavily armoured. protection for the crossbowmen against cavalry.

300 light cavalry (scouts)

20,000 peasants and 13,000 mules  on logistics (carrying stones for trebuchets and bombards), food etc. But we will raid the enemy and live on the land mostly.

Me and my 99 elite heavy cavalry. Black armour, Black horse all, black cape, black flag with a rooster in red on it.  Only me with a golden fleur-de-lys on my cape. I'm the duke of the Normandy or Burgundy.

-------------

Posted By: Emperor Barbarossa
Date Posted: 22-Aug-2005 at 21:59
I would take an army of five thousand infantry, two and a half thousand cavalry, and two and a half thousand ranged men. I would want one thousand Arabian Infantry with chainmail and scimitars and four thousand heavily armored Europeans with swords. I would take half of my cavalry heavy Teutonic Cavalry armed with Halberds, Sabres, Breastplates, and chainmail. My other cavalry would by Arabian camels armed with throwing spears, lances, and scimitars. I would want English Longbowmen, French Crossbowmen, and Mongolian archers for my ranged troops.

-------------

Date Posted: 24-Aug-2005 at 09:28
Hungarian horsemen were the best!

Posted By: Maju
Date Posted: 24-Aug-2005 at 10:13
Originally posted by Nagyfejedelem

My bests are the Hungarian horsemen from 10th century. They attacked and defeated every countries of Europe except Scandinavia and the British isles. 

Aren't you a little exaggerated? They never reached Spain nor I think they battled in France either...

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 24-Aug-2005 at 10:25
Originally posted by Ikki

I like the crusader army of Arsuf, it was effective against turks or other christian. The crossbowmen protected by pavises and the men at arms, the cavalry hope his oportunity and attacking supported by infantry; crossbowmen and not archers because i prefer the power of the crossbow. But i will add two typical warriors of Spain: almugavars and jinetes, a flexible and fast weapon for a heavy army, very well against both enemies.

Right:

3000 crossbowen
3000 men at arms
1000 almugavars
1000 jinetes
2000 heavy cavalry

I like the idea of almogavares, it seems that they were able to annihilate the heaviest of cavalries by the simple method of ripping their horses' bellies and then engaging the dismounted knights in one-to-one combat.

But what exactly do you mean by jinetes? That word translates as horse-rider, so I guess it's just some sort of light cavalry.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 24-Aug-2005 at 13:59

Maju:

I'm a bit nacionalist, but they were in Spain in 942.

Date Posted: 24-Aug-2005 at 15:23

Maju:

I'm a bit nacionalist, but they were in Spain in 942.

First time I read something of the like. Where is the deep disbelief emoticon?

I would know if that was true. Where in Spain?, who they fought against?, how did they reach there?, what villages did they sack?  Magyar pillages  (nothing to be proud of, by the way) were infamous but, while they sacked most of Germany and Northern Italy, and I could concede they reached France out of insecurity, I'm pretty sure they never went farther.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 25-Aug-2005 at 03:18

The Hungarian warriors were incredible fast in this time. The Hungarian light cavalries were faster than other armies and every warriors had more than one horses. Only one problem was finding food for men and horses.

In 942 they attacked the Eastern parts of Spain, for example Barcelona and Lerida and they reached River Tajo. Magyars fought against Arabs and captured Arab captains. After that they went home.

Date Posted: 25-Aug-2005 at 03:24
Hungarians attacked Pelopponesos (South Greece), Apulia (South Italy) and Danmark, too.

Posted By: Raider
Date Posted: 25-Aug-2005 at 03:27

Maju:

Nagyfejedelem is right. Magyar raiders reached Spain too. There are written sources mention this campaign. One of the arab caliphs (I can't remember his name.) remarked that all of Hungarian people should be exterminated.

I will look after details for you.

Date Posted: 25-Aug-2005 at 05:06

Raider:

During the invasion in 942 the caliph was Abd ar-Rahman.

Date Posted: 25-Aug-2005 at 07:31
Originally posted by Raider

Maju:

Nagyfejedelem is right. Magyar raiders reached Spain too. There are written sources mention this campaign. One of the arab caliphs (I can't remember his name.) remarked that all of Hungarian people should be exterminated.

He surely was right

Seriously, Magyar raids are considered among the most criminal of all times: killing all males and also women too old or too young, carrying the rest of women as cattle. Vikings and even Atilla were true delicate gentlement when compared.

Luckily, after Lech, your ancestors decided to change habits and settled down.

Yes please. It's an absolutely unknown episode of Iberian history. Viking raids are rather well known but it's the first time I heard of Hungarians in Iberia at all.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 25-Aug-2005 at 08:20

Maju:

About Hungarian criminals: weren't true. Hungarians weren't as cruel as European warriors in this time. An Arab writer wrote about Hungarians cured their captured hurt enemies. Captured soldiers and civils weren't killed, usually were given back for money or were sold to Byzantium or Arabs.

Date Posted: 25-Aug-2005 at 08:36

Maju:

Most of the Hungarians settled down before Lechfeld.

Date Posted: 25-Aug-2005 at 08:41

Maju:

So, only a small part of Hungarians attacked other countries. There wasn't connection beetwen champaigns and nomadism.

Date Posted: 25-Aug-2005 at 08:56
Nomadism of the population mixing up champaigns always makes me angry.

Date Posted: 25-Aug-2005 at 08:58
What's this? I have became a commander!

Date Posted: 25-Aug-2005 at 09:09

Maju:

About Hungarian criminals: weren't true. Hungarians weren't as cruel as European warriors in this time. An Arab writer wrote about Hungarians cured their captured hurt enemies. Captured soldiers and civils weren't killed, usually were given back for money or were sold to Byzantium or Arabs.

This is what Jan Dhont says on his Upper Middle Age book (1967, Spanish edition by Siglo XXI, 1971):

Seemingly, it is exact the judgement of the chronists of the time when they claim that Hungarians made much more horrible damages than those caused by Normans and Arabs. Among Scandinavians and Muslims there are no crimes that can compare to those that are related by the annals of Fulda for the year 894: Hungarians killed men of any age and old women, and they carried with them as cattle the young women of Saxony to satisfy with them their appetites. They also destroyed all Pannonia, and there it happened in the year 906, the well known incident when Magyars dragged behind them the women, naked and tied to each other by their hairs. The impression percieved is that of a series of attacks made by a totally barbarian tribe that, pushed to a totally strange world, left out of control their lowest instincts.

Actually the only comparison I can think about are of some of the most negative accounts of the early Spanish conquest of America.

Of course this historian can be wrong but so far is the only serious refernce I've read.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 26-Aug-2005 at 02:56
Originally posted by Maju

Maju:

He surely was right

Seriously, Magyar raids are considered among the most criminal of all times: killing all males and also women too old or too young, carrying the rest of women as cattle. Vikings and even Atilla were true delicate gentlement when compared.

Luckily, after Lech, your ancestors decided to change habits and settled down.

Yes please. It's an absolutely unknown episode of Iberian history. Viking raids are rather well known but it's the first time I heard of Hungarians in Iberia at all.

I have found three primary sources:

1. Antapodosis V.19. by Liudprand bishop of Cremona

2. Tarsi al-akhbar by Al-Udzri

3. The fifth book of Kitab al-Muktabis by Ibn Hayyan (This is the longest.)

Accoding to these sources in 942 a Hungarian army arrived to Northern Italy on order to collect the annual tax. Here Hugo the king of Italy paid them 10 bushet of gold (375 kg) to attack the Omayyads. The king also granted them a guide.

According to Ibn Hayyam this army was led by 7 captain: Gyula, Bulcsú (the same who was later killed after the battle of Lechfeld.) etc.

So the Hungarian attacked Catalonia and pillaged Oden, Cerdanya and Huesca. Hungarian raiders captured Jahja at-Tavil the Lord of Barbastro. (Later He was ransomed by an arab merchant who paid 1000 miscal)

In 7th July 942 They sieged Lérida were their main base was. The city was strongly defended and the Hungarians run out of food supply so they begin to withdraw. The withdrawing Hungarians were attacked by catalans and other neighbouring christians and defeated. According to  Ibn Hayyan it was a great defeat, but other sources mention that they pillaged later Southern France and return home so I don't think it was realy serious.

Ibn Hayyam also mentions that five captured Hungarian were sent to the caliph by the Lord of Saragossa (In these time the caliph was Abd-Rahman, but Ibn Hayyam named him An-Nasir li-din Allah.) Later they become members of the caliph's bodyguard.

Ibn Hayyam also writes about the Hungarian way of live ("They are nomads like beduins and live in tents instead of cities.") and their homeplace.

Date Posted: 26-Aug-2005 at 03:10

Maju:

German writers in this time didn't know about Hungarians so thought Hungarians were Avars, Huns, nomads, flesh-eaters, villiants, etc. These writers made Hungarians appear as criminals, but Byzantine and Arab writers-however Hungarians attacked both empire-didn't know about that. The genocide in Pannonia also didn't happen-the killing of the Slavic and Avar population in today's Hungary was not only unrealizable, unprofitable-they gave tax for Hungarians-but wasn't the feature of Hungarians. Arabs and Vikings really killed more unarmed in this time than Hungarians.

Date Posted: 26-Aug-2005 at 03:10

Maju:

This is what Jan Dhont says on his Upper Middle Age book (1967, Spanish edition by Siglo XXI, 1971):

Seemingly, it is exact the judgement of the chronists of the time when they claim that Hungarians made much more horrible damages than those caused by Normans and Arabs. Among Scandinavians and Muslims there are no crimes that can compare to those that are related by the annals of Fulda for the year 894: Hungarians killed men of any age and old women, and they carried with them as cattle the young women of Saxony to satisfy with them their appetites. They also destroyed all Pannonia, and there it happened in the year 906, the well known incident when Magyars dragged behind them the women, naked and tied to each other by their hairs. The impression percieved is that of a series of attacks made by a totally barbarian tribe that, pushed to a totally strange world, left out of control their lowest instincts.

Actually the only comparison I can think about are of some of the most negative accounts of the early Spanish conquest of America.

Of course this historian can be wrong but so far is the only serious refernce I've read.
1. The Hungarian raiders were cruel indeed. This was part of the steppe warfare, but on the other hand what Nagyfejedelem wrote is true. In some aspect they were more civilised than the westerners. But all in all the devastation caused by them is horrible. The chronicle writers also exaggerate their cruelty because they were completely strangers (normanns lived among them ). The westererns fight in order to capture territories, to conquer peoples, but the Hungarians fight for booty.

2. By the way many of these campaigns and raiders were hired by christian princes to attack and pillage the territory of rival christian princes.

3. Not the nomadism caused these attacks. The bulk of the Hungarian population had already settled. After the arrival of Hungarians to their new homeland the society was changed. Many of the free Hungarians became poor and they lost their former status. So who had the abilities tried to join one of the campaigns to gain loot and regain his former status.

Date Posted: 26-Aug-2005 at 03:19

Maju:

If you interested in medieval Hungarian history I suggest you to read this book.

The Realm of Saint Stephen: A History of Medieval Hungary by Pál Engel edited by Andrew Ayton published by I. B. Tauris (2005 London/New York)

I think it is the best avaible in English language.

Date Posted: 26-Aug-2005 at 05:42
In 906, Normans were as much strangers for Frankish writers as Magyars. They were pagan and barbarians, so that says it all... While maybe the Frankish chronists have focused in the most outraging of Hungarian raids, it's clear the Vikings or Muslims didn't do anything of simmilar cruelty and amorality, else the Franks would have recorded it too. Vikings also fighted for bounty and plunder but they are not recorded with such an infamous memory, not even the Huns are remembered to have done anything of the like. Magyar ultra-violence seems absolutely gratuitous.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 26-Aug-2005 at 05:54

In 906, Normans were as much strangers for Frankish writers as Magyars. They were pagan and barbarians, so that says it all... While maybe the Frankish chronists have focused in the most outraging of Hungarian raids, it's clear the Vikings or Muslims didn't do anything of simmilar cruelty and amorality, else the Franks would have recorded it too. Vikings also fighted for bounty and plunder but they are not recorded with such an infamous memory, not even the Huns are remembered to have done anything of the like. Magyar ultra-violence seems absolutely gratuitous.
1. Vikings were pagans and barbarians, but they are originated from the same german barbarian stock as the franks, germans etc.

2. The Vikings conquered lands not just robbed them. (England, Normandia, Russia, Southern Italy)

Date Posted: 26-Aug-2005 at 05:56

Maju:

Germans were angry with Hungarians because they lost Pannonia. Other reason was Germans were defeated by Hungarians more than one battle.

Date Posted: 26-Aug-2005 at 06:01

Nagyfejedelem:

I don't think that it was some kind of revenge. THe Hungarians were simply strange, they waged a different kind of warfare. Cruelty is part of steppe warfare. see: mongol campaigns

Date Posted: 26-Aug-2005 at 06:22

Raider:

I agree with you, it wasn't the main reason. Germans didn't know too much about Hungarians, so they wrote about western stereotips from nomads : the Hungarians lived without home, without culture, ate flesh, drank blood, etc.

Date Posted: 26-Aug-2005 at 06:31

1. Vikings were pagans and barbarians, but they are originated from the same german barbarian stock as the franks, germans etc.

2. The Vikings conquered lands not just robbed them. (England, Normandia, Russia, Southern Italy)

I don't think Germans and much less French saw themselves as relatives to Vikings: they had a Romanic culture. But anyhow, what I disagree is that Vikings conquered lands: in the 9th and 10th century their main activity was pillage: they raided all coastal and even non-coastal villages, towns and monasteries they could find. Only in England and Russia you can see some attempt of conquest. Norman conquests belong to a later period and they were carried out by French-speaking Christianized Normans that had settled and been given in feud the land that adopted their name. They weren't anymore the barbarian Danes of teh previous centuries.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 26-Aug-2005 at 16:52
Vikings did not conquer lands in Russia except you refer to the baltic lands, they were just invited as rulers, but thats all, the Kievan Rus was still a Slavic Russian empire ruled by a Khaghan, even when that khagan was a Viking.

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Aug-2005 at 05:22

Temujin:

The most of the population of the Kievian Rus was really Slavic. But not only the khagan was Viking, warriors and merhants were Viking, too.

Date Posted: 13-Sep-2005 at 18:24

FOR LOWLAND BATTLE FIELD

10000 full armed (composite horn bow+typical single edged islamic turkish sword+islamic round shield) and lightly armoured. (iron turkish turban helmet with mail aventail+leather jacket) SELJUK ELITE HORSE ARCHERS with swift Turkmen horses.

Posted By: gerik
Date Posted: 24-Sep-2005 at 09:39
You sould read:
Komjathy, A. T.: http://www.hungarian-history.hu/lib/thou/index.htm - A thousand years of the Hungarian art of war

http://www.hungarian-history.hu/lib/thou/komjathy.zip

I have to add a comment. The european people of those times were not better then the hungarians. You allways forget that hungarians were
merceneries,most of the campaigns were paid ones. The germans allways
invited hungarians to settle their scores beetwen each other,one principality against onother. If you want to read about the cruelties of european people it is enough to take a glimps of what have written the arab Avicena about the european "savagery"

THE CONQUEST OF THE CARPATHIAN BASIN

The Treaty of Verdun in 843 A.D. permanently divided the Carolingian empire into three independent Frankish kingdoms. One man still bore the title of emperor, but the authority and power of his office had disappeared. The sons and successors of Charlemagne wasted their wealth and resources on civil wars. They tried to gain new vassals and retain the loyalty of old ones by donating huge land estates to their noble supporters (magnates). The unrestricted land donations resulted in the decline of royal power and authority within all three Frankish kingdoms. The king became only primus inter pares, first among equals. Feudal organization and structure became dominant and political particularism was the new rule./ http://www.hungarian-history.hu/lib/thou/thou19.htm#1.1 - 1 / The appearance of new invaders - Vikings and Muslims - added a military factor and hastened the evolution of the feudal army and state organizations.

The dominant role of the infantry remained even after the fall of the Roman Empire. The last invaders, the Franks and the Saxons, were themselves foot soldiers in the sixth and seventh centuries./ http://www.hungarian-history.hu/lib/thou/thou19.htm#1.2 - 2 / Their confrontations with the Muslims, who were cavalry soldiers, usually ended up in victory for the latter. Thus, realizing the superiority of cavalry soldiers, the Frankish armies began to reorganize. It was not an easy transformation. The price of a good stallion equalled the price of 40 or 50 cows, and heavy armour was no less expensive. Only the very rich could afford such purchases. The high price of armament limited the number of armoured knights a lord could equip and maintain. Also a fear that the oppressed serfs might rebel if they were armed prompted the upper classes to exclude the lower classes from the ranks of the army, and thus drastically reduced its size. The feudal system required military service only from the vassals of a king. They joined the king's army with their own vassals and knights. But not every great lord was the vassal of the king, and even the vassals of a king often violated their loyalty oath and refused to join the king's army. These conditions

limited the number of soldiers even further. An army which consisted of from two to three hundred knights was considered a huge army, and frequently included all of the available cavalry soldiers of an entire kingdom. "Many of the battles of this period were no more than short skirmishes between small bodies of armoured knights."/ http://www.hungarian-history.hu/lib/thou/thou19.htm#1.3 - 3 / Since Christian kingdoms now fought against each other, the rules of war were prescribed by the Church to make it more humane. The "Peace of God" prohibited the lords from attacking their foes on Sundays before attending holy mass. The use of armoured knights in a phalanx or square formation, as a closed tactical unit, was prohibited. The wars were simplified into duels where "the object was to unhorse the opponent rather than to slay him."/ http://www.hungarian-history.hu/lib/thou/thou19.htm#1.4 - 4 / Servants were not allowed to participate actively in the attacks. Their duty was to help their lord to arm and to mount his horse, and to defend him if he fell from the saddle. The use of "missiles, bows and arrows" was also outlawed by the Church as "unfit for Christians."/ http://www.hungarian-history.hu/lib/thou/thou19.htm#1.5 - 5 /

These small knight-armies could not match the savage Viking (Normans, Norsemen) armies. The Normans did not obey the rules of chivalry. In combat they sought and often obtained the complete annihilation of their enemies. Their raids against the West Frankish kingdom began before the turn of the ninth century and came to an end only in 911, when Charles the Simple (898-922), king of the West Franks, recognised Rolle, leader of the Normans, as duke of Normandy.

While the Franks were fighting against the Norman invaders, their eastern provinces were occupied, almost unnoticed, by slowly migrating Slavic tribes. By the second half of the ninth century, Slavic tribes living in the territory of Pannonia and in the space between the Drava and Sava Rivers were united into a kingdom by the Moravian prince, Pribina, whereas the territory of Moravia proper, north of the Danube, was controlled by his vassal, Ratislav. In 862, Ratislav rebelled against his lord, hired Magyar troops to help him, and with their aid he won his independence./ http://www.hungarian-history.hu/lib/thou/thou19.htm#1.6 - 6 /

In 889 the Hungarians - more accurately the Magyars - settled in Etelkoz in a loose political alliance of their tribes./ http://www.hungarian-history.hu/lib/thou/thou19.htm#1.7 - 7 / This territory is south of Kiev, bordered by the Donets on the east and the Carpathians on the west. On the south, the Black Sea and the Danube separated the Magyars from the Bulgarian empire. Other Magyar groups were pushed by the Petchenegs toward the east and south, where they most probably were assimilated into the local population.

In Etelkoz the Hungarians lived in cities formed of tents./ http://www.hungarian-history.hu/lib/thou/thou19.htm#1.8 - 8 / Their main occupation was animal husbandry, raising horses, longhorns,

pigs, and chickens. Agricultural products supplemented their diet of meat, eggs, milk, and fruits. They attained a high level of knowledge relative to working with metals such as iron, silver and gold. Besides these peaceful occupations, they also pursued military careers, raiding the northern steppes and selling captured Russian-Slavic inhabitants to Greek slave-merchants in the ports of the Black Sea./ http://www.hungarian-history.hu/lib/thou/thou19.htm#1.9 - 9 / They were also ready to lease smaller or larger light cavalry units (their army numbered 20,000 horsemen) to foreign princes and kings for the anticipated reward of booty and spoil, and a regular money payment. If they found an easy target, they repeated their raids on their own initiative. Thus they came to the aid of Ratislav in 862 and revisited the Danube without invitation in 864.

In the second half of the ninth century, the Petcheneg and Bulgar attacks on Etelkoz became more frequent. To increase their defensive capacity against such invasions, the Magyar tribes elected Almos as the first prince of their united military democracy (c. 889-894). Now the raids and campaign, which they executed alone or in alliance with foreign rulers, served a new purpose: the Magyars were searching for a territory where they could defend themselves effectively against their more powerful enemies. In 892, a Hungarian army, at the invitation of the Frankish emperor, Arnulf (king of the Eastern Flanks 887-889, emperor 896-899) crossed the Carpathian Mountains and helped Arnulf to defeat his rebellious vassal, Sviatopluk./ http://www.hungarian-history.hu/lib/thou/thou19.htm#1.10 - 10 / The Carpathian Basin impressed the Magyar warriors: the soil was fertile, the Danube provided good water even in drought, and the local population was friendly and peaceful./ http://www.hungarian-history.hu/lib/thou/thou19.htm#1.11 - 11 / No wonder that two years later they raided Pannonia again, now on their own account.

In 894, the successor of Almos, Arpad, in keeping with his mutual-help treaty with the Byzantine emperor, Leo Vl (the Wise) sent a Hungarian army under the command of his son, Levente, to the lower Danube. The campaign was directed against their common enemy, Simeon, king of the Bulgars./ http://www.hungarian-history.hu/lib/thou/thou19.htm#1.12 - 12 / In three battles, the allied Hungarian-Greek forces defeated the Bulgarians and occupied their capital. The Bulgarians struck back in the same year, invaded Etelkoz, and massacred the defenseless population of the main Hungarian settlements before the Hungarian armies had returned home. At the same time, the Petchenegs, allies of Simeon, also invaded Etelkoz from the East. This disastrous situation forced Arpad to leave Etelkoz for good, along with the survivors of the Bulgarian-Petcheneg attack. Without waiting for the army of Levente, which was still in Bulgaria, and another army which was raiding the Khazars north of the Caucasian Mountains,/ http://www.hungarian-history.hu/lib/thou/thou19.htm#1.13 - 13 / seven

Magyar tribes by 900 A.D. crossed the Carpathians and occupied the entire basin without significant resistance on the part of the local Slavic, Bulgar, and Croat population. "The Magyars thus entered on possession of their new homes, speedily and completely, far more so than, as far as we know, any of their predecessors."/ http://www.hungarian-history.hu/lib/thou/thou19.htm#1.14 - 14 / Their total population, which could provide about 60,000 soldiers for the army, probably amounted to not more than 200,000 to 250,000 souls./ http://www.hungarian-history.hu/lib/thou/thou19.htm#1.15 - 15 /

The long march from Etelkoz with families, wagons, and herds of cattle followed the Dnieper to Kiev, turned west to the Carpathian Mountains,/ http://www.hungarian-history.hu/lib/thou/thou19.htm#1.16 - 16 / then crossed passes with an average elevation of 6,500 to 7,000 feet above sea level. The careful reconnaissance of the new territory and the occupation of the entire Carpathian Basin in stages / http://www.hungarian-history.hu/lib/thou/thou19.htm#1.17 - 17 / all testify to Arpad and his chieftains' organizational ability, military expertise and superior generalship.

Following this conquest, the Magyars continued to live in a tribal federation under the leadership of Arpad and his descendants. Neither did their occupations change: agriculture, animal husbandry, commerce, selling slaves and horses in exchange for goods they needed for themselves./ http://www.hungarian-history.hu/lib/thou/thou19.htm#1.18 - 18 / They continued their raids on feudal Europe in alliance with other princes or alone.

These raids were fast and devastating. By the time the feudal armies could assemble to confront the Magyars, they were several days marching distance away. Powerful rulers like Henry (the Fowler) "considered it advisable to pay a regular tribute to the Hungarians for nine years", to buy security for his kingdom of Saxony against the Magyar raids./ http://www.hungarian-history.hu/lib/thou/thou19.htm#1.19 - 19 / We can well ask: What was the Magyars' secret? The declining military art and the anarchic conditions in feudal Europe provide only part of the answer to this question./ http://www.hungarian-history.hu/lib/thou/thou19.htm#1.20 - 20 / The second part of the answer lies in the distinctively Hungarian military strategy and tactics./ http://www.hungarian-history.hu/lib/thou/thou19.htm#1.21 - 21 /

As we know, the Magyars' main occupation was animal husbandry, especially horse-breeding. Their horses, relatively small but very strong, had great speed and stamina. Each soldier had 3 or 4 horses, riding them in turn so as not to overtire any of them. Thus the army was able to cover 25 to 30 miles daily for weeks,/ http://www.hungarian-history.hu/lib/thou/thou19.htm#1.22 - 22 / whereas the western knight-armies rode a maximum of 12 to 15 miles a day for only a few days. Using pack horses instead of baggage wagons, the Magyars could follow bridle paths, mountain roads, and narrow passages inaccessible to their enemies. This unusual marching speed and road accessibility enabled them to surprise their enemies and appear en masse at unexpected times and places. Since they practically grew up in the saddle (guarding their herds, hunting, fighting, and sometimes even eating and sleeping

on horseback), they were superior horsemen. The use of stirrups - unknown in the western calvaries - made it easy for them to make sudden stops, turns, and starts, individually or in formation. Thus, their horsemanship secured their superiority over the knight-armies.

To maintain the advantage of speed by not overloading their horses, they used only very light protective armor: mail shirt, hard leather helmet, and their hair (braided into two ponytails on each side of their necks to protect the main arteries). Their armorers manufactured their slightly bent sabers, short spears, and hatchets, while each fighter made his own bow and arrows. They could hit a target with deadly accuracy as individual archers, yet they preferred to shower the enemy with arrows in the form of modern salvos./ http://www.hungarian-history.hu/lib/thou/thou19.htm#1.23 - 23 / Still, naturally inferior as they were to a heavily-armored knight-army attacking in phalanx formation, especially in hand-to-hand combat,/ http://www.hungarian-history.hu/lib/thou/thou19.htm#1.24 - 24 / they kept their distance from the heavily armored cavalrymen until the phalanx broke up under a shower of arrows or because of the terrain. Only then did they try to overpower the individual knights, attacking them at once from every direction.

The Magyar combat formation was a loose line of several brigades, with spaces between the units to allow them the execution of sudden turns, retreats, and simulated attacks. They used their reserves for relentless pursuit until they had completely annihilated the enemy. They did not lay siege to fortresses, which they usually left behind untouched. Under the anarchical conditions prevailing in the feudal state, they did not have to worry that their enemies would unite behind their columns and attack them from the rear.

The discipline of the Magyars was superior to that of the feudal armies. Commanders used severe, sometimes cruel, punishment against those who broke their rules./ http://www.hungarian-history.hu/lib/thou/thou19.htm#1.25 - 25 / Thus the brigades and smaller units were perfect instruments in the hands of their generals.

The generalship of the Magyars was excellent. After the year 900, almost every year they led a raid against the West, Italy, or the Balkans. They also participated in ten larger campaigns in which 8,000 to 10,000 cavalrymen were involved. Only twice did they suffer a defeat. The Hungarians were becoming known in the Rhine and Moselle Valleys in Germany, in Belgium, and in the Loire and Rhone Valleys in France. In 937, they crossed the Alps from France to Italy and raided as far as Otranto in the South. Their troops galloped under the walls of Constantinople in 942.

Although the defeat at Lech in 955 stopped the Magyar raidsagainst western Europe, the raids on the Balkan Peninsula con-

tinued for one more decade.

What caused the disaster at Lech? Henry the Fowler (918-936) was the first Saxon king of the East Frankish kingdom, a rich and energetic man who began to fortify the eastern frontiers of his kingdom against the Slavs and Magyars. His policy of centralization to strengthen royal authority was pursued even more energetically by his son, Otto I (the Great, 936-973), elected as German emperor in 962. The first five years of Otto's reign were spent in a continuous struggle against his rebellious magnates who "may even have appealed to the Magyars for help."/ http://www.hungarian-history.hu/lib/thou/thou19.htm#1.26 - 26 / Defeating the rebellion and gaining control not only over Franconia, Burgundy, and Swabia, but also over Bavaria and Bohemia, Otto was on his way to becoming the most powerful ruler since Charlemagne.

THE BATTLE AT AUGSBURG.

In 955, the Magyars, at the invitation of Otto's enemies, sent an unusually strong army, 35,000 to 40,000 light cavalrymen, to their help./ http://www.hungarian-history.hu/lib/thou/thou19.htm#1.27 - 27 / Otto's army of 20,000 to 25.000,/ http://www.hungarian-history.hu/lib/thou/thou19.htm#1.28 - 28 / which consisted mainly of armored cavalry organized in brigades, arrived south of Augsburg from Bohemia, Swabia, Franconia and Bavaria. The general of the Hungarian army, "Bloody Bulcsu", received his name because of his cruel disciplinary measures. He divided his troops into thirds, of which about one-third occupied Bavaria, while the remaining two-thirds followed the Danube Valley south of the river in a westernly direction. Otto's main forces assembled north of the Danube facing Donauworth. South of the Danube, only one fortress, Augsburg, remained in the hands of Otto's supporters.

Although the Magyar armies usually did not waste time with the siege of fortresses, Bulcsu decided to take Augsburg before confronting Otto's army. Not having the necessary equipment for a siege, the Magyar army hoped for the success of a surprise attack. It was in vain. Bulcsu wasted precious days with renewed attempts to take the fortress, but even his "bloody" generalship could not

bring victorious results. On the contrary, it demoralized his army, which the defenders of Augsburg were quick to notice. Furthermore, the wasted days enabled Otto's army to cross the Danube without opposition from the Magyars. Bulcsu now ordered his army to ride toward Donauworth (where Otto had crossed the Danube) and to prevent Otto from reaching Augsburg. To insure victory, Bulcsu even discontinued the blockade of Augsburg. Thus, the garrison was able to join Otto's army, strengthening it even further.

The two armies clashed North of Augsburg in the Lech River valley, on the west banks of the river. Bulcsu divided his forces

(Plan 1, map) and planned to attack Otto's forces simultaneously from the front as well as from the rear. However. the timing of the attacks was off. The small Magyar force attacking in the rear surprised the Czech brigades and put them to flight, but their strength was insufficient to penetrate the deep combat formations of the Germans. The frontal attack was late, Bulcsu's group gave battle only after attack against the rear had been repelled. The pouring rain made the bows of the Magyars ineffective. Feigned retreats proved to be useless too. Otto's army did not break the closed phalanx formations. Bulcsu now sought decision by ordering his light cavalry against the phalanxes of heavily armored knights in hand-to-hand combat. The bulk of his army was massacred, while those who succeeded in fleeing were mercilessly pursued by Otto's forces and pushed into the Lech River.

Bulcsu made a whole series of strategic mistakes. He attacked Augsburg without equipment, allowed Otto to cross the Danube without interference, and discontinued the blockade of the fortress. He hesitated to attack the Germans in the front while the rear attack created confusion. His last mistake was the forcing of a decision at any price. The superior generalship of Otto is undeniable.

Although the battle ended in disaster for the Magyars, they could also see it as a stroke of great luck, for Otto, satisfied with his victory, was willing to talk peace. The Magyars learned their lesson and ended their raids. Four decades later, the land of the nomad Magyars became known in Europe as the Hungarian Kingdom of Stephen I. Having converted to Christianity and replaced their nomadic occupations by agriculture, the Magyars were accepted as equal members of the community of Christian peoples of Europe. They thus insured their survival in the Carpathian Basin.

Posted By: Svyturys
Date Posted: 02-Jan-2006 at 13:44
You're talking about big armies.(10 000 one unit, 10 000 another) But remember Battle of Kirckholm (1605). What would you do with army of ~3500 units?

-------------
Every moment, like last, neither earth, nor sky don't calculate time. Left only one heart in scorched bosom. Throbing only drums again, calling us into battle.

Posted By: Jay.
Date Posted: 03-Jan-2006 at 15:44
Originally posted by Gazi

Yup heres mine;

INFANTRY;20.000 Bashibouzuks (Turkish ,Kurdish,Armenan,Albanian,SerbianBulgarian bandits armed with anything they could get their hands on.)5000 Janissaries (the most vital part of the army 2000 with muskets and 3000 with chainmail ,polearm,sword and bow)And around 10.000 Gazis (Weapons varied but as they believed they were guided by God they were quite brave)5000 Tüfenkçis(troops armed with fine muskets)

CAVALRY : 15.000 Sipahis (the backbone of my army armed according to the wealth of the Timar fief they come from.But most had bows)2000 Kapikulu Sipahis (think of them roughly mounted Janissaries) 8000 Turcoman tribal horse archers

And I could also have a few guns (I suppose around 30 would be enough)

My tactics would depend on the army I am facing,the weather and terrain.

BEST TACTICS, RIGHT HERE! ^

I would join forces with gazi!

Posted By: Isbul
Date Posted: 03-Jan-2006 at 16:37
Yeah and especialy the bashibozuks, who are the cooleast of all

-------------

Posted By: ataman
Date Posted: 15-Apr-2006 at 05:23
Originally posted by EvilNed

I've done quite a bit of research on Liegnitz, and from what I can tell, the horse archers didn't fare that well against the polish cavalry at all. Remember, there were about 10,000 men on both sides, and it was in no way an easy victory for the mongols. Also, the mongols had MUCH more horse archers than the polish had heavy cavalry, so any such comparison cannot be made. I believe it's basicly up to the terrain and commander of who'd win between these two.

The newest Polish book about the battle of Leignitz (Legnica in Polish) claims that there were only 3800-4300 Christians (including 250 Polish knights-lancers from Silesia, 36 Templar knights, tens knights from Little and Grand Poland, tens 'guest'-knights and some mercenaries) vs less than 10 000 Mongols. Alltogether Polish army had not more than 2300 cavalry (including only a few hunders knights-lancers).

Posted By: BigL
Date Posted: 20-Apr-2006 at 00:23
[QUOTE=EvilNed]

This doesnt make sense how can the horse archers be innefective when the mongols won the battle? And where did you get the fact that it wasnt an easy victory for the mongols >there plan worked perfectly ,

only substantial casualties in the mongol invasion of europe were suffered at Sajo river.

Date Posted: 20-Apr-2006 at 01:03

Originally posted by BigL

And where did you get the fact that it wasnt an easy victory for the mongols >there plan worked perfectly

I agree with EvilNed. There is a primary source (Hystoria Tartarorum) which claims that:

'Tartari uero ulterius procedented in Zlaziam cum Henrico duce tunc temporis christiannissime eiusdem terre in prelio sunt congressi, at dum iam, sicut ipsi fratri Benedicto refebant, fugere uoluissent, ex insperate christianorum cunei ad fugam subito sunt conuersi'

So even Mongols/Tartars claimed that they wanted to retreat from the battle. They didn't do it only because Christians did it before them. It was a suprise for Mongols but thanks to this they won the battle.

It shows that Mongol army had a hard time and it certainly wasn't an easy victory.

BTW, Mongols outnumbered Christians in this battle - especially their mounted archers outnumbered Christain knights-lancers many times.

Date Posted: 20-Apr-2006 at 05:01

Of course the Mongol horse archers wanted to retreat from battle ,THERE HORSE ARCHERS  ,after retreating from the knight charge the mounted archers lured the knights away from their infantry and the heavy cavalry of the mongols which was waiting in a forest crushed the knights who were aimlessly chasing horse archers

Outcome- Horse archers would have suffered very few casualties as they didnt engage in melee combat.Only enemy archery fire would cause some casualties. +Mongol heavy cavalry charged a knight charge which had long lost its momentum and lost its formatation.

Date Posted: 20-Apr-2006 at 07:43

Of course the Mongol horse archers wanted to retreat from battle ,THERE HORSE ARCHERS  ,

BigL, this source doesn't claim that they were 'Mongol horse archers', who wanted retreat from the battle. But they were Mongols (meaning Mongol army) who wanted do it. So it is not a description of a Mongol tactic (simulated escape).

Posted By: rider
Date Posted: 20-Apr-2006 at 13:20
I would claim such a fact: the Samurai, in an ambush would crush Mongols.

-------------

Date Posted: 20-Apr-2006 at 18:31

The european source like the european troops were not accustomed to the fake retreat tactic thats why they said the mongols were wanting to run away .there was no feirce melee combat involved the european were routed and theres no reason the mongols would rout, its obviously propaganda or misunderstanding of mongolian false retreat thinking its cowardice.

This coming from an army which has never ran from battle even thought its fought countless enemys across the world.If the poles are so scary why didnt they take over the world

Date Posted: 21-Apr-2006 at 00:18

The european source like the european troops were not accustomed to the fake retreat tactic thats why they said the mongols were wanting to run away. there was no feirce melee combat involved the european were routed and theres no reason the mongols would rout, its obviously propaganda or misunderstanding of mongolian false retreat thinking its cowardice.

This coming from an army which has never ran from battle even thought its fought countless enemys across the world.

BigL, I am aware of imperfection of primary sources which describe this battle. But if there is a source which states something (e. g. that Mongol army wanted retreat) and there is no primary source which negates this fact, a historian can't ignore this source which state something. In the other case, a historian will say that it is impossible to say anything about the battle.

BigL, if you know any primary source which negates 'Hystoria Tartarorum', please write it here. If you don't know such a source, write that your opinion about the battle is only a speculation - your speculation.

If the poles are so scary why didnt they take over the world 

I can write you tens reasons. For example - Compare amounts of both armies at Legnica. Polish army at Legnica had about 3800-4300 men. In Polish terms it was a big army. And now Mongol army. There was 1 tumen (less than 10 000 men) in the battle. 1 tumen was only a small part of the whole Mongol army. Even if the Poles had winning at Legnica, they would have defended (at most) Poland. But there was no a chance to conquer anything. Polish army had no a chance to win with for example 10 tumens of Mongol army. It is obvious, isn't it?

Date Posted: 21-Apr-2006 at 00:25

The european source like the european troops were not accustomed to the fake retreat tactic

It is not true that European troops 'were not accustomed to the fake retreat tactic'. European troops not only knew this tactic, but also used them. If you want I will write examples.

there was no feirce melee combat involved the european were routed and theres no reason the mongols would rout

BigL, can you support your opinion by any primary source?

Date Posted: 24-Apr-2006 at 15:19

Originally posted by rider

anyone can crush everyone in an ambush...its an ambush!!

Originally posted by ataman

It is not true that European troops 'were not accustomed to the fake retreat tactic'. European troops not only knew this tactic, but also used them. If you want I will write examples.

go on.

-------------

Date Posted: 25-Apr-2006 at 01:19

Examples of simulated retreat:

- Battle of Unstura 933 (German soldiers of Henryk I vs Hungarians). Henryk I simulated retreat and won.

- Battle of Psie Pole 1109 (the Poles vs Germans). Part of the Poles ('Slezanie') simulated retreat (a fragment of Wincenty Kadlubek's chronicle 'Tymczasem z tylu wyskakuje pokazny zastep Slezan, ktorzy zwracaja ku sobie znaczna liczbe nieprzyjaciol, UMYSLNIE UDAJA UCIECZKE i odciagajac tamtych od innych oddzialow, zwabiaja ich coraz dalej, zwracaja sie przeciw zwabionym a gwaltownym uderzeniem oszczepow z ukosa wystajace ich dlugie wlocznie rownoczesnie potracaja i w nich godza.')

- Battle of Naklo 1256 (the Poles vs the Poles).

European troops knew a tactic of simulated reatret very good. In the battle of Trutina 1110 (the Poles vs Czechs) the Poles didn't chase (immediately) defeated Czechs because they thought that Czechs only simulated reatreat. In the battle of Carcano (Germans + Czechs vs Italians), Italian cavalry which defeated enemy, didn't chase enemies because: 'Mediolanenses viderent, cogitaverunt eum insidias posuisse et fugam simulasse, et propterea non tam cito persecuti sunt eos'.

Before Mongol invasion of Europe, European troops fought with 'eastern enemy' many times. Wars with Hungarians, crusades etc., were enough to learn a tactic of simulated retreat.

Posted By: Digenis
Date Posted: 25-Apr-2006 at 08:58
The Byzantine Army ("Romaikon Strateuma") 950-1025.
The most organised army at that time.
Powerful ,using so much different tactics and weapons and successful.
Greek Fire throwers,Klibanarioi,Skoutatoi,Siege machines,Cataphracts,Navy,Varangian Guards!!!
What more do u need?

-------------

Posted By: rider
Date Posted: 25-Apr-2006 at 12:37

anyone can crush everyone in an ambush...its an ambush!!

Are you sure? I have heard of failed ambushed too. ... SO you can fail an ambush too, but I bet the Samurai to crush Mongols... even though Mongols were blahblahblah...

Now, why didn't  the Poles conquer the world? But why should they have done so?`They had much land, Poland was during the Medieval and Imperial Ages one of the largest kingdom, the population was low, and even if they could have beaten any armies in the west, which they could, then why should they fight another Catholic person? Poles were very religious. Europeans thought only hell was in the east, so Russians went there... The wars with Germans are another topic ofcourse, but in most times the religion was a war stopper for Poles...

-------------

Date Posted: 25-Apr-2006 at 17:32
Originally posted by ataman

Examples of simulated retreat:

- Battle of Unstura 933 (German soldiers of Henryk I vs Hungarians). Henryk I simulated retreat and won.

- Battle of Psie Pole 1109 (the Poles vs Germans). Part of the Poles ('Slezanie') simulated retreat (a fragment of Wincenty Kadlubek's chronicle 'Tymczasem z tylu wyskakuje pokazny zastep Slezan, ktorzy zwracaja ku sobie znaczna liczbe nieprzyjaciol, UMYSLNIE UDAJA UCIECZKE i odciagajac tamtych od innych oddzialow, zwabiaja ich coraz dalej, zwracaja sie przeciw zwabionym a gwaltownym uderzeniem oszczepow z ukosa wystajace ich dlugie wlocznie rownoczesnie potracaja i w nich godza.')

- Battle of Naklo 1256 (the Poles vs the Poles).

European troops knew a tactic of simulated reatret very good. In the battle of Trutina 1110 (the Poles vs Czechs) the Poles didn't chase (immediately) defeated Czechs because they thought that Czechs only simulated reatreat. In the battle of Carcano (Germans + Czechs vs Italians), Italian cavalry which defeated enemy, didn't chase enemies because: 'Mediolanenses viderent, cogitaverunt eum insidias posuisse et fugam simulasse, et propterea non tam cito persecuti sunt eos'.

Before Mongol invasion of Europe, European troops fought with 'eastern enemy' many times. Wars with Hungarians, crusades etc., were enough to learn a tactic of simulated retreat.

before the battle of Kalka  River, theMongol army retreated several kilometers beore the Russian/Kypchak army, and the Kypchaks as well as Russians must have been much more familiar with Steppe tactics than Poles or Hungarians because this is where they lived and fought! nevertheless they fell for it. just because Poles use it once that doesn't mean they will remember this forever. there is nothing like a common peoples consciousness like ants or bees, thats maybe what Communists believe in...

-------------

Posted By: Mosquito
Date Posted: 25-Apr-2006 at 18:32

Now, why didn't  the Poles conquer the world? But why should they have done so?`They had much land, Poland was during the Medieval and Imperial Ages one of the largest kingdom, the population was low, and even if they could have beaten any armies in the west, which they could, then why should they fight another Catholic person? Poles were very religious. Europeans thought only hell was in the east, so Russians went there... The wars with Germans are another topic ofcourse, but in most times the religion was a war stopper for Poles...

The answer is simple. Poland was never able to conduct agressive policy against its neighbours. The only times when Poland was an agressor was when polish king had strong power over the country and people - in 10th and 11th century.(EG. Boleslaus I the Brave conquered Kievan Rus, Bohemia and eastern Germany). Later internal opposition was always strong enough to make ruler busy inside the country. During the whole history king was loosing power and had to be really a strong person to make things working as he wanted, like Stephen Bathory. First polish rulers like Mieszko I and Boleslav the Brave were warior kings who were invading its neighbours, the society was militarised but almost all their descendants had to work hard to keep their arse on the throne. They  had to worry about foreign rulers who were trying to aid and strenghten opposition against them. Since 1138 Poland was not a united kingdom but a conglomerate of small duchies which were fighting one against each other. When in 1320 Wladislaus the Short reunited kingdom, he had only a little piece of the land which had Boleslaus the Wrymouth when was dieing in 1138. He and his son Casimir the Great were working hard to gain more land but after Casimir's death the crown passed to Hungarians who didnt care for the borders of Poland at all and were buying internal peace by giving power to opposition. As i said before, for most of history Poles were so much concerned about its internal policy that were not able to act in any way outside their kingdom. Even later when Commonwealth of Poland and Lithuania was a kingdom-republic which had the largest territory in Europe, it wasnt able to act agressive against neighbours because internal opposition was able to stop any plans of the kings who were dreaming about becoming conquerors. Like in the case of king Wladislaus IV, who spent his life making plans of invasions against neighbours and building large naval power but wasnt able to convict the parliament to support his plans. He was dreaming about conquering Ottoman Empire, Russia and Sweden but was able to achieve nothing...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wladislaus_IV - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wladislaus_IV

-------------
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche

Date Posted: 25-Apr-2006 at 21:02

before the battle of Kalka  River, theMongol army retreated several kilometers beore the Russian/Kypchak army, and the Kypchaks as well as Russians must have been much more familiar with Steppe tactics than Poles or Hungarians because this is where they lived and fought! nevertheless they fell for it. just because Poles use it once that doesn't mean they will remember this forever. there is nothing like a common peoples consciousness like ants or bees, thats maybe what Communists believe in...

Temujin, my point was that European armies (not only Polish one) knew this tactic and understood it. It means that commanders and chroniclers were able to proper interpret enemy's activity.

Look, that it was my reply to BigL's statement: 'The european source like the european troops were not accustomed to the fake retreat tactic thats why they said the mongols were wanting to run away '

Another subject is - if sombody knows enemy's tactic, why he (sometimes) is not enough careful to avoid a suprise. We can talk about it if you want. Anyway I don't agree with your opinion that if sombody in some battle was suprised by a tactic of simulated retreat it is a proof that he didn't know this tactic. There are examples from 17th c. that Polish army was suprised by Tartars and their simulated retreat, although this tactic was a standard tactic of the Tartars (and the Poles) in that time and although the Poles had few hundreds years of experience of fighting with the Tartars.

Date Posted: 26-Apr-2006 at 15:49
lets just say Henry was a bad commander and end the discussion here, we all know this tactic is as old as warfare itself but not every man who leads troops is a genius.

-------------

Date Posted: 26-Apr-2006 at 22:41

not every man who leads troops is a genius.

I agree

lets just say Henry was a bad commander

Temujin, in fact historians aren't certain why Christians retreated from the battle. If we will believe Dlugosz's chronicle, we can see that the reason of the retreat was outside Henryk's. It means that he wasn't a bad commander.

Date Posted: 27-Apr-2006 at 05:01

I admit not all european armies are not unnacustommed to the fake retreat, as roman armies have used it and at the battle of hastings it was used.I know the hungarians knew of tactic, facing many steppe armies.

One Question historians ask today is why even when most of the mongols enemys know very well of the Fake retreat do they still fall for it?

I think of 2 reasons.1 is superior mongol archery caused the troops to be so fustrated as to lose their discipline.2.The mongols willingness to engage in melee combat with their light cavalry.Thus making the trap more beleivable.It seems at leignitz the light cavalry of mongols suffered from its over willingness to engage in melee combat with knights.

Date Posted: 27-Apr-2006 at 06:46

One Question historians ask today is why even when most of the mongols enemys know very well of the Fake retreat do they still fall for it?

Maybe this analogy would help to answer this question.

Look at stockbrokers. They buy and sell stocks and shares. Sometimes stockbrokers win (and earn much money), sometimes they lose (and lose money). There are some rules for this activity. Stockbrokers certainly know these rules, but it doesn't mean that they always win. Why? Stockbrokers know ONLY rules of stock exchange, but they don't know the future - for example, they don't know if in some case some shares will gain or lose. So they have to risk. Sometimes it leads to bankruptcy.

Ok, and now we have a war in 13th c. There were commanders of European countries who knew rules of war. For example, they knew a tactic of simulated retreat. But during a battle a commander couldn't be certain if this 'retreat' of enemies was a real one or only a simulated one. What could a commander do? He could risk and chase retreating Mongols (in this case, if it was a real retreat, the commander of some European country was able to destroy Mongols totally, but if it was only simulated retreat, this commander lost his army) or he could not risk (in this case, he didn't destroy Mongols, who were still dengerous for his army and his country).

So, it is not enough to know the rules to win. One has to take risk to gain something. Sometimes that risk leads to catastrophy.

Date Posted: 27-Apr-2006 at 23:10

If im not correct the polish commander told his troops not to follow the mongol retreat but his troops broke dicipline and charged.?

Date Posted: 28-Apr-2006 at 00:09

If im not correct the polish commander told his troops not to follow the mongol retreat but his troops broke dicipline and charged.?

No, it was not a lack of discipline of Polish army. Look at Dlugosz's description of this battle (English version here: http://www.impub.co.uk/dlug3.html - http://www.impub.co.uk/dlug3.html ). Although this source isn't too much credible (it was written about 200 years after the battle), it is the only one primary source which describes this battle in such detail.

Date Posted: 01-May-2006 at 01:16

Lets recap the sources available to us on the invasion of europe available please ,

There is Historica tartarum,Dlugosz account and secret history of the mongols,what other sources of informatation do we have please so we can research further.

Date Posted: 02-May-2006 at 11:20

There are also:

- Rocznik cystersów henrykowskich

- Rocznik wroc³awski wiêkszy

- Rocznik Kapitu³y GnieŸnieñskiej

- Kronika Wielkopolska

- Œl¹ski Rocznik Kompilowany (Annales Silesiaci Compilati)

- letter of king of Bohemia Waclaw I (April-May 1241)

Date Posted: 02-May-2006 at 21:42
Any links when i google these it comes up with Poilish links

Date Posted: 18-May-2006 at 01:46
Well because i cant Research these links myself i cant just beleive a new polish book as all sources and books ive read on mongols have claimed the mongols were outnumbered when fighting in Europe.

Date Posted: 18-May-2006 at 09:35
my army

10,000 infantry banded mail, falchions, heavy sheilds,

5,000 heavy calvary, fullplate, longswords, sheilds,

8,000 archers composite bows, chain haleberd, longknifes

300 light cavalry, chain mail, longknifes

3,000 irish conscripts, leather, long knifes

5,000 polish slaves, studded leather, long knifes

Posted By: milns
Date Posted: 30-May-2006 at 13:16
My tank regiment will destroy all your armys

-------------
Un beidzot liecas un sašķīst viss kristīgo bars -
Nav pārspējams šodien tiem zemgaļu niknums un kaujas spars!

Posted By: Greek Hoplite
Date Posted: 12-Jun-2006 at 15:20
My army

2000 heavy cavalary(1000 left,1000 right)
Role= to butcher enemy archers, enemy s light infantry and hunt them when when they ll run in panic, and ofcourse attack enemy s cavalary if is necessary

1000 light cavalary(500 left, 500 right)
Main role= to butcher enemy soldiers while running in panic and mainly to help heavy cavalary

200 officers cavalary( at the back, after infantry)
Consists of excellent trained knights that their main role is to protect the officers

2000 heavy spearmen( at the center)
role= to kill enemy s cavalary with theirs spears

3000 Hevy infantry(behind heavy spearmen)
role= equiped with metal shileds and heavy swords will have to fight in close combat with enemys infantry and they will have support by some spearmen if its necessary

1000 archers( behind heavy infantry)
main role= to hit with their arrows enemy while marching

1000 archers with long bows(behind others archers)
role= to hit enemy infantry while marching from greater distance than simple archers can do and in case of runing panicly enemy s army to kill as many they can.

-------------
My blog
http://mankap.blogspot.com/

Posted By: ironaxe
Date Posted: 12-Jun-2006 at 15:32
5000 Housecarls

2000 Norman Cavalry

3000 English/Welsh longbowmen

Tactics depend upon the troops fitness/terrain/weather conditions/enemy's reactions etc, but;

Archery barrages first, then cavalry flanking attacks followed by infantry advance- all soon after the others.

Date Posted: 13-Jun-2006 at 01:36

All you need is mongols there invincible

Posted By: Scheich
Date Posted: 13-Jun-2006 at 11:11
25000 Mangudai and behind the horde 200 tribocks

Posted By: Mitze
Date Posted: 26-Jun-2006 at 05:54
What a beautiful story you forgott a detail (the vlachs), in Gesta Hungarorum it writes that when Arpad arrived in Pannonia they encounterd 3 romanian states : Menumorut who ruled Crisana
                                                   Glad who ruled Banat
                                                   Gelu who ruled NV Trannsylavania
And one more little thing, the borders of the Hungarian Kingdom didnt reach the Charpathians until the time of the Mongol invasion

Pace! and greetings from Bihor country!
You will have to exceuse my poor english.   

Posted By: Datuna
Date Posted: 30-Jun-2006 at 13:59

“ I imagine what I could have done  using a fistful of these warriors”

Napoleon

That's why I prefer them.

Posted By: Suevari
Date Posted: 18-Jul-2006 at 08:53
10,000 geishas, but they're not European Cry

I'd choose 10,000 Hun horse archers but they're not medieval Cry

Ok then, 10,000 Vlad the impalers.

-------------

Date Posted: 18-Jul-2006 at 08:59
Originally posted by Mitze

What a beautiful story you forgott a detail (the vlachs), in Gesta Hungarorum it writes that when Arpad arrived in Pannonia they encounterd 3 romanian states : Menumorut who ruled Crisana
                                                   Glad who ruled Banat
                                                   Gelu who ruled NV Trannsylavania
And one more little thing, the borders of the Hungarian Kingdom didnt reach the Charpathians until the time of the Mongol invasion

Pace! and greetings from Bihor country!
You will have to exceuse my poor english.   
For the 3 Romanian states. According to Anomymus only Gelou was vlach. Menumorout and Gelu were Bulgarians.

Posted By: subedai
Date Posted: 01-Oct-2006 at 13:40
Where did you get your information from on the size of the Polish army? Everything I have read says that the Poles had somewhere between 15-20,000 troops.

Posted By: konstantinius
Date Posted: 04-Oct-2006 at 03:03
I'm joining in a bit late on this thread and, since we're not allowed multiple posts, I'll refer to a few things at once.

I'm not sure if we can refer to Magyars and Hungarians being exactly the same thing. The kingdom of Hungary is thought to have started in 1000 AD with the coronation of the first king, Stephan I, by the pope. I've read somewhere that Lechfeld actually solidified the chances for a kingdom since most of the Magyar aristocracy perished there. In that sense, I challenge that we can say "the Hungarians raided Denmark". The Magyars did. I'm a stickler for protocoll, s'ppose.

How could Poland expand? In which direction? Eastwards is the steppe, never mind the Russians themselves. Do you think a Medieval Polish army would've fared better than Napoleon or Hitler? Not to mention that, the way things turned out, the farher east the got they closer they came to the oncoming MongolsOuch
On the West there are mountains blocking the southern route into Germany and then there's the Germans and their steel, of courseShocked
Poland's great historical mindf... is that she's always been sandwiched between the German and Russian juggernauts. Expand? It's all about hanging in there.

On my ideal 10000-strong medieval formation: Some heavy cavalry with a good portion of spear-armed infantry mixed with missile-armed troops; good number of both mounted and on-foot skirmishers. Think of your typical Crusader state army, ca. 1130 AD. The type and number of the  opponent, number/morale/leadership of own troops,  nature of terrain, and your  logistics would determine your strategy.
Of course there is great variation of the term "medieval"; the later  Swiss pikemen and Italian condotierri armies  certainly can be considered ideal as well.
During this period the early Fatimid, Seljuk, Macedonian Byzantine, Ayyubid, Mongol, Anglo-Norman and Italo-Norman armies all deserve mention.  

-------------
" I do disagree with what you say but I'll defend to my death your right to do so."

Posted By: xi_tujue
Date Posted: 04-Oct-2006 at 06:44
without siege weapons cannons or any technologie. With no buildings

just a basic showdown

what can stop a steppe horde?

picture thousands of lttle arrows piercing the bodies every were the harder you ride walk they seem to be further away.

before you can use your sword lance your dead

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com