Forum Discription: The Middle Ages: AD 500-1500
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5134
Printed Date: 21-May-2024 at 14:27
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The real Edward I of England
Posted By: Constantine XI
Subject: The real Edward I of England
Date Posted: 20-Aug-2005 at 22:37
I have a question which I hope someone can answer. Why is it that Edward Longshanks is known to history as Edward I, King of England. Shouldn't that be reserved for an earlier King Edward of England, namely the man most popularly known as Edward the Confessor. Why does Longshanks get called the First, and not the Confessor?  Just seems a bit incorrect to me.

Replies:
Posted By: Ahmed The Fighter
Date Posted: 21-Aug-2005 at 04:47
Good point Constantine XI, Edward the confessor was the penultimate Anglo-Saxon king and the last of house of Wessex,The numbering of English monarchs starts from scratch after the Norman conquest, which explains why the regenal  number assigned to English kings named Edward begin with the later Edward I(ruled 1272–1307) and do not include Edward the Confessor (Who was the third king Edward). 

-------------
"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid

Posted By: Ahmed The Fighter
Date Posted: 21-Aug-2005 at 05:10
I hope I did.

-------------
"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid

Posted By: Heraclius
Date Posted: 21-Aug-2005 at 08:38

I wish Edward I's name hadnt been utterly raped in the most ridiculous movie *braveheart* which made him out to be somekind of genocidal lunatic, who was probably only one step away from bathing in scottish blood or whatever.

I assume Longshanks is known as the 1st, because with the Anglo-saxons replaced by the Normans there was noneed to carry on from where they left in terms of numbering of monarchs, a totally different monarchy doesnt need to acknowledge the past monarchies.

-------------
A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.

Posted By: Emperor Barbarossa
Date Posted: 21-Aug-2005 at 16:16
The movie Braveheart greatly dramatized what Edward Longshanks really did to Scotland. The whole thing about the stealing of a Scot's wife on the first wedding night was never instituted. He did conquer the peaceful kingdom of Scotland, and killed some people, but not anywhere near genocide.

-------------

Date Posted: 21-Aug-2005 at 16:39

The problem with Braveheart most of all is the fact the English are painted as mindless barbarians killing people for the sake of it, the Scots on the other hand as peace loving victims of this big bad empire.

The fact the Scots were kicking the crap out of each other almost endlessly was barely mentioned, the clans were at war with each other as much as they were the English if not more. Its briefly brought up a couple of times but nowhere near as much as it should of been.

There should be a law against blatently lying about history in movies, its a mockery of the people targeted in this case the English and insulting.

Edward I was a good king for England and a man of his time, big deal he conquered some territory, who the hell wasnt? Grrrr I hate Mel Gibson  (points to yet another BS movie downing this time the British "The Patriot")

-------------

Date Posted: 21-Aug-2005 at 18:34
Originally posted by Heraclius

The problem with Braveheart most of all is the fact the English are painted as mindless barbarians killing people for the sake of it, the Scots on the other hand as peace loving victims of this big bad empire.

The fact the Scots were kicking the crap out of each other almost endlessly was barely mentioned, the clans were at war with each other as much as they were the English if not more. Its briefly brought up a couple of times but nowhere near as much as it should of been.

There should be a law against blatently lying about history in movies, its a mockery of the people targeted in this case the English and insulting.

Edward I was a good king for England and a man of his time, big deal he conquered some territory, who the hell wasnt? Grrrr I hate Mel Gibson  (points to yet another BS movie downing this time the British "The Patriot")

What i meant by peaceful is that they were no threat to the English. The English had to be a little mindless to lose to an enemy with no heavy cavalry that had only 5,000 spearmen at Bannockburn, but they weren't crazy fools who would go around and pillage as much as Mel showed in Braveheart. What the English did was wrong, there is no debating that, they invaded a foreign nation that did nothing to them and was no threat to them. Edward I I beleive would have won at Stirling if he would have have not been in France at the time. He did win decisively at Falkirk. The clans were always at war with each other, not showed in the movie. They also show Robert the Bruce as some little wussy who wouldn't fight for anything, he was the one who bravely fought at Bannockburn and never betrayed his country, so that is total BS. The Patriot was bullcrap to, but the Brits did commit some atrocities.

-------------

Date Posted: 21-Aug-2005 at 19:41

Remember though this is 13th/14th century England not 21st century Britain, we cant judge an invasion by our standards today, wars back then were fought often for the most trivial of reasons or on very very tiny justification.

Englands invasion of Scotland be it for just the sake of conquest or whatever cant be condemned by us now, remember this was a time when cities were sacked mercilessly and populations massacred if they resisted, prisoners of war could expect torture and execution, religion controlled all and those who opposed it could expect to be burned alive. It was a totally different world back then.

-------------

Date Posted: 21-Aug-2005 at 21:03
Yeah, for the time it was not that wrong at all. That still does not make it right for the massacres that happened. 

-------------

Posted By: Quetzalcoatl
Date Posted: 21-Aug-2005 at 22:12

Edward I was a good king for England and a man of his time, big deal he conquered some territory,

On what planet are you living mate. A medieval king a good man? ROFLMAO. Infact braveheart may not be historically correct, but the cruelty shown was commonplace in the medieval era.

-------------

Posted By: Gavriel
Date Posted: 22-Aug-2005 at 02:11
Originally posted by Emperor Barbarossa

What i meant by peaceful is that they were no threat to the English. The English had to be a little mindless to lose to an enemy with no heavy cavalry that had only 5,000 spearmen at Bannockburn, but they weren't crazy fools who would go around and pillage as much as Mel showed in Braveheart. What the English did was wrong, there is no debating that, they invaded a foreign nation that did nothing to them and was no threat to them. Edward I I beleive would have won at Stirling if he would have have not been in France at the time. He did win decisively at Falkirk. The clans were always at war with each other, not showed in the movie. They also show Robert the Bruce as some little wussy who wouldn't fight for anything, he was the one who bravely fought at Bannockburn and never betrayed his country, so that is total BS. The Patriot was bullcrap to, but the Brits did commit some atrocities.

Did nothing to them???
the Scots were constantly raiding into the south,stealing cattle and horses from the Lords of Northumbria and durham.The scots allso commited atrocites at York and when they tried to sack Durham city ,they sacked countless cathedrials and Cumbria only escaped this because they bankrupted themselves and payed tribute.
Bravehart is utter crap,typical Gibson (he hates us with a passion doesnt he?)for a start william wallace wasnt some peace loving wannabe farmer,he was a Knight for christs sake,he owned two castles!
And the scots with Blue paint on,LOLOLOLOLOL,as if!
I did like the bit when the Irish infantry met up with there Crazy buddy that was funny.

Date Posted: 22-Aug-2005 at 09:20
Originally posted by Quetzalcoatl

On what planet are you living mate. A medieval king a good man? ROFLMAO. Infact braveheart may not be historically correct, but the cruelty shown was commonplace in the medieval era.

Errr maybe you have problems reading what people actually say, I said he was a good KING not MAN, I said he was a man of his TIME, therefore typical of the kind of people of the age he lived in, were mass executions etc were common-place.

Anyway if you judge 13th/14th century rulers by 21st century standards then your pretty dumb.

Please learn to read before you answer, it makes you look very stupid otherwise.

-------------

Date Posted: 22-Aug-2005 at 16:20
Originally posted by Gavriel

Did nothing to them???
the Scots were constantly raiding into the south,stealing cattle and horses from the Lords of Northumbria and durham.The scots allso commited atrocites at York and when they tried to sack Durham city ,they sacked countless cathedrials and Cumbria only escaped this because they bankrupted themselves and payed tribute.
Bravehart is utter crap,typical Gibson (he hates us with a passion doesnt he?)for a start william wallace wasnt some peace loving wannabe farmer,he was a Knight for christs sake,he owned two castles!
And the scots with Blue paint on,LOLOLOLOLOL,as if!
I did like the bit when the Irish infantry met up with there Crazy buddy that was funny.

Yeah, I forgot about the sack of York. As for the blue paint, it was utter bull crap, maybe 3rd century Scots wore blue paint but not 13th century Scots. William Wallace being a peace loving farmer was a load of crap, he was a knight and a pretty good one to. I should have done a little research before i said that the Scots did nothing to the English. It was a two-way street, and the English did raid much of Ireland during the Middle Ages. Then again, for the times, it wasn't bad at all.

-------------

Date Posted: 22-Aug-2005 at 20:08

The movie the Patriot was  so predictable I couldn't bear to watch it through to the end. I watched up to the part where Heath Ledger (Gibson's son in the movie) was killed and then switched off the TV to do something more productive.

And yes there is a bit much Anglo-bashing in the media. Ever noticed what proportion of "bad guys" in movies and on tv have English accents compared to good guys (who always have American accents).

-------------

Date Posted: 22-Aug-2005 at 20:36
Yeah, I even noticed this in Rush Hour(a little off topic). Both of the good guys don't have English accents. Chris Tucker's high pitched voice and Jackie Chan's Asian accent represent the good guys. Whereas the bad guy is British. The same in Braveheart, the good guys have Scottish Accents and the bad guys have English accents. 

-------------

Date Posted: 22-Aug-2005 at 21:00

It is annoying that the English/British are portrayed as the bad guys so often, im sure there are some people that are dumb enough to believe we are really like that.

The Patriot was so predictable, but the most sickening part was when Mel Gibson was fighting the very very evil Englishman and got slashed beaten and I think at one point shot and yet had the strength (undoubtedly powered by patriotism) to slay the bad Englishman for America. Itd be touching if it wasnt such total crap.

-------------

Date Posted: 22-Aug-2005 at 21:07
The character was based on Banastre Tarleton. He did massacre surrendering troops which was called the Waxhaw Massacre. I personally think that the British are very cool people. Some Americans like to make fun of British sophistication. There is even a racial slur I found on Answers.com "English or just gay" that is used by Americans. The British have been America's greatest ally since WWI and i think people seem to forget that if it was just the US and Russia versus Germany, we would not have won the war. If we did, it would have been at a much greater cost.

-------------

Posted By: Gavriel
Date Posted: 28-Aug-2005 at 05:29
Well,the British were fighting the Germans for longer than the Americans and the Russians.Six years we were fighting for and i think some credits deserved for that. Ahh whatever.....

The peace loving Scots made a full blown invasion of England in 1346,the battle of Nevilles cross was fought by  a large Scottish army  and a scratch force hastily assembled  by the Archbishop of York.The Scots invaded England at the request of the French who they were allied too,King DavidII probably believed all the English troops were in France,But England has foreseen this happening and had left certain northern lords at home charged with defending from the Scots.
The English Longbows and the Scots choice of ground made it a  remarkable victory for the English with most of the Scottish aristocracy being captured including King David II.He was ransomed for the sum of £66,ooo in 1357 a hell of a lot of money,in took Scotland 20 years to pay it.

Date Posted: 28-Aug-2005 at 07:51
Yeah, I did give the British much credit for fighting the war. I do not beleive that the war could have been won without the British suppoert. The Scots did have some more reasoning for the invasion of England in 1346, it was part of the Auld Alliance. Mel Gibson should be thrown in jail for making such biased crap. Why doesn't he make a movie of the Scottish invasion of England? Violence, blood, change a lot of things to make it bullcrap and you have a Mel Gibson movie.

-------------

Posted By: Turkic10
Date Posted: 28-Aug-2005 at 16:01
In the interest of historical accuracy, it would be nice to hear the heroes of the American Revolution in movies and tv shows speaking with the English accents that they  would have had. It would be a reminder as to where they came from. Of course, Americans would scream blue murder if that happened.

-------------
Admonish your friends privately, praise them publicly.

Date Posted: 29-Aug-2005 at 07:26
Originally posted by Turkic10

In the interest of historical accuracy, it would be nice to hear the heroes of the American Revolution in movies and tv shows speaking with the English accents that they  would have had. It would be a reminder as to where they came from. Of course, Americans would scream blue murder if that happened.
That would be the most historically accurate way to show the real heroes,  but many nationalists wouldn't put up with it.

-------------

Posted By: rangerstew
Date Posted: 15-Sep-2005 at 09:39
I think I may have mentioned this in another thread, but what do you guys expect from Hollywood, or any other movie maker. They are not in the movie business to accurately portray history. They are in the movie business to make money. If you want accuracy, watch the History Channel.

Date Posted: 15-Sep-2005 at 17:28
The History Channel can be just as inaccurate at times. The fact is Hollywood's products get distributed to a massive audience, who then are poisoned by the incorrect garbage they passively consume.

-------------

Date Posted: 16-Sep-2005 at 09:38

And the mass public isn't poisoned by the crap it is indoctrinated in by the public school systems?

If you want true history, you will really have to dig on your own. There is bias everywhere. Its all America's fault anyway..........

Date Posted: 16-Sep-2005 at 09:43

That would be the most historically accurate way to show the real heroes,  but many nationalists wouldn't put up with it.

I dont think that the majority of colonist, especially those from the more rural areas, would have had English accents. You have to realize that most of the colonist had been born and raised in the colonies, away from England. Besides, there were so many colonist from other European nations beside England.

Date Posted: 16-Sep-2005 at 13:49
Originally posted by rangerstew

I dont think that the majority of colonist, especially those from the more rural areas, would have had English accents. You have to realize that most of the colonist had been born and raised in the colonies, away from England. Besides, there were so many colonist from other European nations beside England.

It would take several generations for the accent to become typically (?) North American. Children learn to speak with accents similar to their parents which would have be English in most cases. There are still remnants of the English/Irish/ Scotish accents in the New England states and east coast Canada. The addition of peoples from many European countries over time resulted in the amalgam accent which is North American. The long term result of black household slaves resulted in the southern accent. You can't escape it, whether you like it or not, but Washington, Jefferson, Franklin and the others had English accents. It  had no affect on what they accomplished.  

-------------

Posted By: Paul
Date Posted: 16-Sep-2005 at 14:12
Originally posted by rangerstew

Actually it's pretty painful on the ears when American actors try to put on a British accent, I'd rather hear Queen Elizabeth I with an American accent than what hollywood passes for a British one. 

Edison made a lot of phonograph recordings of Americans around the turn of the 19th century (and some British too) it's quite fascinating to listen to them. The British sound more like Americans and the Americans British.

A lot of linguists put forward the theory it's not the Amercans who've changed their accent since the 19th century but the British. IE: The British spoke a Southern like American accent and influenced by Europe changed, America largely isolated from Europe changed a lot less. So if you went back to England during Cromwell's time it would be indestinguishable from the Louisianna today. (This is a horrible thought)

-------------
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk - http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk - http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk

Date Posted: 16-Sep-2005 at 14:24

And since we dont have any recordings of those individuals(Washington, Jefferson, Franklin, etc) speaking, we really can't know what they sounded like.  By the time Edison started recording, things may have changed drastically from the time of the WFI.

I still stick to what I said, for the most part. I will  concede that the founding fathers being more highly educated than most of the colonist would have had a more refined accent.

This would be a great subject for an intense college research paper.

Date Posted: 16-Sep-2005 at 14:54
We would need un-biased robot time machines to do the research. I doubt there are any truly un-biased human beings. If you want to hear a phoney accent there is one affected by some early and some of todays  North American movie and tv actors that we Canadians used to call  the Mid-Atlantic accent. It's sort of but not quite an English accent. Chris Plummer is a prime example .

-------------

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 27-Sep-2005 at 11:59
Does anyone remember that the vote by the Contintntal Congress to establish English as the official USA language passed by just one vote over the use of German? 
As to how the colonials would have sounded, many linguistic authorities have proposed that the original colonists would most likely have sounded much like the daily common speak heard in and about Brooklyn,NY circa 1930-60.(I read numerous treatises about this at university.  I do not remember the sources.Sorry I cannot quote the necessary references to back this up.)Yo fugiddaboutit! As for accents in Braveheart, would not Longshanks and those around him most likely have spoken a Norman tougue.  Normandy was in France.  The Normans were decendants of the Vikings.  This would sound very strange to us. 

The conquerors write the history of the period.  I am sure that Longshanks had his own PR department and spindoctors.

As for Mel Gibson,the Australian influenced spawn of a racist\facist\religious nut of a father(American), shame on him for attempting to do his job as an ententainer. 

England never raped, pillaged and attempted ethnic cleansing of Scotland.  When they could not accomplish this they captured and moved whole clans to northern Ireland. The English have not occupied Irie for 800 years.  The English did not enslave the Scots and Irish and send them to penal colonies around the globe.  No, never, not the English.

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Sep-2005 at 20:35
Yes, the Americans would not have British accents. They would still have similar accents and not modern American accents. England did pillage and rape some of Scotland, that is inevitable, but it was greatly exagerrated in Braveheart. The English never attempted ethnic clensing. They were portrayed as junior Nazis in Braveheart. As for an unrelated topic, Cromwell did plunder Dundee in his invasion.

-------------

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 02-Oct-2005 at 13:14
 Why is this discussion suddenly about the Braveheart, and not about Edward the Longshanks?

-------------

Posted By: Degredado
Date Posted: 03-Oct-2005 at 12:54

Originally posted by Paul

A lot of linguists put forward the theory it's not the Amercans who've changed their accent since the 19th century but the British. IE: The British spoke a Southern like American accent and influenced by Europe changed, America largely isolated from Europe changed a lot less. So if you went back to England during Cromwell's time it would be indestinguishable from the Louisianna today. (This is a horrible thought)

Pardon me for being off topic, but another linguist said that the English of Shakespeare's day probably sounded more like the Irish.

As for the topic itself, it's nice to know that John Lackland had a grandson worthy of being his father's Great-Grandson (if anyone understands what I just wrote... 

What I'd like to know more about is Edward's conquest of Wales. Why is it that the Welsh have less of a reputation than the Scots? Did Edward's definitive conquest 'wimpify' them in the eyes of the general public, especially when compared with the more dashing, skirt wearing Scots?

-------------
Vou votar nas putas. Estou farto de votar nos filhos delas

Date Posted: 04-Oct-2005 at 21:14
First of all, the Scots didn't even have kilts at the time. Besides, kilts rock. One reason why the Welsh have a less reputation is because those little wussies couldn't fight back the English, unlike the Scots. Now onder they are wimplified.

-------------

Date Posted: 05-Oct-2005 at 05:11
Well to be more precise the Scottish monarchy especially adopted fuedalism, encastellation and heavy cavalry into their armies, the Welsh did not. Wales was alot smaller and its nobility was more divided than the Scots.

-------------

Date Posted: 05-Oct-2005 at 05:25

One reason why the Welsh have a less reputation is because those little wussies couldn't fight back the English, unlike the Scots. Now onder they are wimplified.

Might I suggest you go to a Caernarfon town centre on a saturday night, stand in the middle of a crowded pub and shout "Owen Glydwr was a wooly backed wuss and Wales is proof that evolution can go in reverse."

-------------

Date Posted: 05-Oct-2005 at 05:56
Exactly, the Welsh put up a very stubborn defence which lasted for 200 years. 200 years is a long time to be cowardly while managing to avoid being conquered, in the end they simply couldn't hold out with a weaker military, poorer technology, and less advanced political system than England. The fact that England was several times the size of Wales had something to do with it as well.

-------------

Date Posted: 05-Oct-2005 at 06:07

This is a bit of a climbdown

Mind you the threat of a drunken pack of Caenarfonites, singing at you, is enough the frighten anyone.

-------------

Posted By: Brian J Checco
Date Posted: 17-Feb-2007 at 20:59
The Welsh held out against English conquest for about 800 years, actually folks. The Anglo-Saxons started invading in the 400's, and pushed the Welsh-Britons back to Wales and Cornwall. The Welsh drew up their lines there and refused to capitulate until the death of Llewellyn ap Gruffydd, in 1282. That's 800 years.

They then proceded to get one of their own crowned King of England in 1485. Henry Tudor, Earl of Richmond, 7th English King of that name, was a Welshman. His uncle, Jasper Tudor, was 100% Welsh, was one of Edward IV's, and later Richard III's, greatest enemies, and constantly set the Midlands and the Marches aflame with his Welsh brigand army.  Henry VIII was also part Welsh, and by default, his daughter Elizabeth was also part Welsh. Tudor in itself is a Welsh name. The entire Tudor dynasty was Welsh. The Anglican Church was founded by a Welshman. The irony here should speak for itself.

I'm an American, and not at all Welsh, but my name is (Brian means 'rock' in Welsh. Other variant meanings are 'stone' or 'strength'). I've always had a soft spot for the Welsh. Fascinating lot, an ancient and noble warrior culture. As Paul said, go to Caernarvon or Cardiff and tell them how 'soft' they are. And then count your teeth in the morning. I'm sure it will be much less than you had before (which won't be much if you're a Brit. You chaps did start putting flouride in your water by now, right?).

Haha, joking. But give the Welsh their credit. An 800 year insurgency is epic.
Cheers.

Posted By: King John
Date Posted: 18-Feb-2007 at 01:55
The only reason they survived 800 years was because they paid tribute to Anglo-Saxon kings for the right to exist. So in essence they survived 800 years because the Anglo-Saxon and later the Anglo-Norman kings allowed them to exist for so long. You are right about the Welshness of the Tudor Dynasty.

Going back to the original question though, Edward I is so named because the numbering of kings started with Norman kings. Before the Norman Conquest kings were known by names like Aethelred 'the Unready' or Alfred 'the Great' or Harold Godwinson.

Posted By: gcle2003
Date Posted: 18-Feb-2007 at 11:42

Edward I I beleive would have won at Stirling if he would have have not been in France at the time.
LOL

-------------

Posted By: Denis
Date Posted: 18-Feb-2007 at 12:07

Remember though this is 13th/14th century England not 21st century Britain, we cant judge an invasion by our standards today, wars back then were fought often for the most trivial of reasons or on very very tiny justification.

Englands invasion of Scotland be it for just the sake of conquest or whatever cant be condemned by us now, remember this was a time when cities were sacked mercilessly and populations massacred if they resisted, prisoners of war could expect torture and execution, religion controlled all and those who opposed it could expect to be burned alive. It was a totally different world back then.

I wouldn't say that the Scots were invaded unwarrantly, from an English point of view. They were siding with France in their quarrels with England and had been doing so for some time before this. The English had every right to secure their northern border if they had a track record of aligning themselves with their enemies when a war came about.

-------------
"Death belongs to God alone. By what right do men touch that unknown thing"

Victor Hugo

Posted By: Melisende
Date Posted: 26-Feb-2007 at 05:26
What's that phrase - your enemies' enemy is your ally, or something along those lines.

-------------
"For my part, I adhere to the maxim of antiquity: The throne is a glorious sepulchre."

Posted By: heikstheo
Date Posted: 01-Apr-2007 at 22:05
Originally posted by Constantine XI

I have a question which I hope someone can answer. Why is it that Edward Longshanks is known to history as Edward I, King of England. Shouldn't that be reserved for an earlier King Edward of England, namely the man most popularly known as Edward the Confessor. Why does Longshanks get called the First, and not the Confessor?  Just seems a bit incorrect to me.
Edward the Elder (r. 899-924)
Edward the Martyr (r. 975-978)
Edward the Confessor (r. 1042-1066)

-------------
Ted Heiks
BA, History & Political Science, Western State College of Colorado, 1984

Posted By: duchess
Date Posted: 17-May-2007 at 18:48

The movie the Patriot was  so predictable I couldn't bear to watch it through to the end. I watched up to the part where Heath Ledger (Gibson's son in the movie) was killed and then switched off the TV to do something more productive.

And yes there is a bit much Anglo-bashing in the media. Ever noticed what proportion of "bad guys" in movies and on tv have English accents compared to good guys (who always have American accents).

LOL! oh my god! i always always always say that , i mean quite simply lets take walt Disney for instance , most  ( i have yet to find an exception actually ) famous cartoon villains have a British accent.
i mean Jaffar in aladin had one , what the hell is up with that? :P

-------------
" foul as it is, Hell Itself is defiled by the presence of john"- Mathew paris

Date Posted: 19-May-2007 at 03:02
Yes, but Basil Rathbone made such a good villain!!!!

-------------
"For my part, I adhere to the maxim of antiquity: The throne is a glorious sepulchre."

Posted By: duchess
Date Posted: 22-May-2007 at 10:10
Originally posted by Melisende

lol true but it sucks when kids hear your accent and think your evil , i mean it doesn't matter to me since i hate kids anyway but..its not entirely fair to other people :P
btw love the flambouyant style in you recent posts in topics , go melisende!!! *cheers* ClapLOL

-------------
" foul as it is, Hell Itself is defiled by the presence of john"- Mathew paris

Date Posted: 23-May-2007 at 05:44
Thanks Duchess - sometimes historians take themselves way too serious.  History should be fun!

-------------

Date Posted: 23-May-2007 at 06:16
Originally posted by duchess

lol true but it sucks when kids hear your accent and think your evil , i mean it doesn't matter to me since i hate kids anyway but..its not entirely fair to other people :P
btw love the flambouyant style in you recent posts in topics , go melisende!!! *cheers* ClapLOL
No-one who hates children and dogs can be all bad. W.C.Fields

-------------

Posted By: Aelfgifu
Date Posted: 24-May-2007 at 11:31
Originally posted by King John

Going back to the original question though, Edward I is so named because the numbering of kings started with Norman kings. Before the Norman Conquest kings were known by names like Aethelred 'the Unready' or Alfred 'the Great' or Harold Godwinson.

But Edward also has a nickname: Longshanks.

In fact, the numbers were only added in the nineteenth century, to make it easier for historians to remember them. I guess they thought starting at William was the easiest, as the pre-conquest royalty is kindof complcated, bloodline and powerbase wise... Wink

And in Anglo-Saxon times, the name would have been Eadweard, both Ead- and -weard being very common pre- and suf-fixes in Anglo-Saxon times.

Originally posted by heikstheo

Edward the Elder was king of Wessex. You cannot count him within the line of English kings. That would make it real complicated. Imagine two kingdoms having a king with the same name at once! Wink

-------------

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.

Date Posted: 24-May-2007 at 18:18
Edward the Elder and Edward the Confessor - both Kings of England - so then poor old Edward I should really be King Edward III.

As you say, Aelfgifu, much too complicated.

-------------

Posted By: King John
Date Posted: 24-May-2007 at 18:43
If going by Aelfgifu's logic Edward I should be Edward II because Edward the Confessor was the only Edward (pre-Conquest) who was king of England - Danelaw, Wessex, et al. Edward the Elder was only king of Wessex so he doesn't count as king of all England.

Date Posted: 24-May-2007 at 20:55
I was under the impression that Edward the Elder was acknowledged as "King of all the English".

He was recognised as overlord by the Scots, Welsh, and the northern Kings.  He was King not just of Wessex but "of the Angles and Saxons".

Therefore that would technically make him the first King Edward - and Edward the Confessor would thus be King Edward II.

-------------

Date Posted: 25-May-2007 at 06:44

Originally posted by Aelfgifu

Originally posted by King John

But Edward also has a nickname: Longshanks.

In fact, the numbers were only added in the nineteenth century, to make it easier for historians to remember them.
From the preamble to the Act of 1689, commonly known as the Bill of Rights:
WHEREAS the Lords Spiritual and Temporal and Commons assembled at Westminster, lawfully, fully and freely representing all the estates of the people of this realm, did upon the thirteenth day of February in the year of our Lord one thousand six hundred eighty-eight present unto their Majesties, then called and known by the names and style of William and Mary, prince and princess of Orange, being present in their proper persons, a certain declaration in writing made by the said Lords and Commons in the words following, viz.:

Whereas the late King James the Second, by the assistance of divers evil counsellors, judges and ministers employed by him, did endeavour to subvert and extirpate the Protestant religion and the laws and liberties of this kingdom; 

(My italics)
NB that's 1689 new style (year begins Jan 1), 1688 old style (year begins March 21).
I don't know when they started numbering kings but it was certainly long before the nineteenth century.

Originally posted by heikstheo

Edward the Elder was king of Wessex. You cannot count him within the line of English kings.
He was an English king (though I don't terribly like using 'English' as a designation this early). The issue is whether he was king of England or not.

-------------

Date Posted: 25-May-2007 at 10:57
The issue is whether he was king on an United England. Yes, he claimed that title, but his hold on the north was shaky and he was kicked out again several times. It was not until Athlestan that you can really start believing claims of being 'king of England'.

-------------

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.

Date Posted: 25-May-2007 at 21:23

What's that phrase - your enemies' enemy is your ally, or something along those lines.
"The enemy of my enemy is my friend."

-------------
Ted Heiks

Date Posted: 25-May-2007 at 21:52
Thanks Ted!

That's the one I was after.

-------------

Date Posted: 25-May-2007 at 22:02
I prefer the use of the word "ally" rather than "friend" in that saying, I find it more accurate. There is a big difference between a friend and an ally.

Perhaps we need to make the distinction between the "King of England" and an "English King".

-------------

Date Posted: 26-May-2007 at 05:39

I prefer the use of the word "ally" rather than "friend" in that saying, I find it more accurate. There is a big difference between a friend and an ally.
True enough, in international politics, "friends" can be very temporary.

-------------
Ted Heiks

Date Posted: 26-May-2007 at 06:05

Perhaps we need to make the distinction between the "King of England" and an "English King".
Perhaps someone can help flesh out a thumbnail of early Anglo-Saxon history. The British king Vortigern first imported Anglo-Saxon mercenaries to the British Isles in 449, thus sparking off the Arthurian wars. There seems to be some reason why the year 529 keeps sticking out in my mind. Was this the point by which the Anglo-Saxons had all of the area we now know as England? At any rate, there was a period of Anglo-Saxon history known as the Age of the Heptarchy (the seven kingdoms). The seven kingdoms of the old Anglo-Saxon heptarchy were East Anglia, Essex, Kent, Mercia, Northumbria, Sussex, and Wessex. Periodically, one of the kings of the old Anglo-Saxon heptarchy would reduce the other six to submission and take the title of Bretwalda. In 802, Egbert King of Wessex came to the throne and by 829, he had taken over the entirety of the old Anglo-Saxon heptarchy. The king-lists of England usually cite Egbert (r. 802-839), a distant ancestor of the sitting Queen, as the first Anglo-Saxon king of a united England.

-------------
Ted Heiks

Date Posted: 26-May-2007 at 07:40

Where do we make the distinction??  I think the distinction should not include an "English King" rather either "King of England" or "King of the English".  I think the latter two terms are what needs to be clarified.

Is the King of England to be regarded as QEII is today (England, Ireland Scotland and Wales) or just England itself - separate from the others.

William the Conqueror (if we start the numbering from him) - he did not, as I recall, receive the overlordship of either Wales or Scotland or to put it bluntly, the north of England - Edward the Elder did.

And Edward I spent his lifetime trying to do just that.  So it would appear that Edward the Elder achieved slightly more ...... something which could come closer to being "King of ALL the English" (which included northern England, Wales and Scotland) whereas Edward I was really only King of just England.

-------------

Date Posted: 26-May-2007 at 10:17
The distinction is that an English King is a king who rules a kingdom on the British island, whereas an King of England rules the whole of the English territory all at once. The posession of/ control over Wales, Strathclyde and Scotland is not relevant in that respect, as they are outisde of the English territiory, and should be considered as foreign conquests.

The first king to claim the title King of All English was Alfred the Great (871-899), but he did limit his title to All English not under Danish rule (meaning the Danelaw), his son and grandson Edward the Elder (899-924) and Athelstan (924-939) began a campaign to win back the north. Edward conquered all the land south of the Humber (including Mercia which had seperated itself from the West-Saxon royal line after Alfred died) and gained overlordship over Wales, but as he never controlled Northumbria he can not be considered a King of England. Athelstan did conquer Northumbria after the death of the Norse king Sihric and gained overlordship of Schotland at the Battle of Brunanburh, but after his death the Northumbrians rejected his sucessor Edmund (939-946) and chose Olaf Guthfiridsson from Dublin as their king. Olaf was succeeded by Olaf Sithricson and it wan not until 944 that Edmund could throw him out of York. When Edmund died, the Northumbrians chose Erik Bloodaxe as king. Eadred (946-955) kicked him out the next year, but in 950 the Northumbrians got Olaf Sithricson back, and after Erik Bloodaxe again. In 954, the Northumbrians decided to submit to the West-saxon king out of free will.
After Eadred died the next year, his sons Eadwig and Edgar divided the realm between them. Only when Eadwig died in 959 did Edgar rule the whole of England.

So who was King of England and who was not is open to interpretation. Personally I would include Athelstan, but not Edward. The kings between Athelstan and Edgar only were in posession of all of England for short stretches of time, but I suppose they could make some claim to the title. But I think historically Edgar is the first one who can realy be considered as King of England, as he was the first who did not rule an occupied hostile territory, but people who did accept him as king.

-------------

Date Posted: 26-May-2007 at 11:10
@ Heikstheo:
The Breatwealdas are a different thing. They were overlords over a number of territories which were all still ruled by their own royal houses under him. It was not an unification of the English in one people, but rather a temporary political unity under one leader, an unity which never lasted beyond the demise of the Breatwealda. (As is common in the Germanic warlord-society) The difference with this later period after Alfred is that there was not just a superficial political unity bound by one man, but a change in identity towards a shared one.

-------------

Date Posted: 26-May-2007 at 15:17
That would make the Breatwealdas closer to 'emperors' wouldn't it? Smile

-------------

Date Posted: 26-May-2007 at 21:43

..... King of England rules the whole of the English territory all at once. The posession of/ control over Wales, Strathclyde and Scotland is not relevant in that respect, as they are outisde of the English territiory, and should be considered as foreign conquests.

Could the above have been true for Edward I???

-------------

Date Posted: 26-May-2007 at 23:00
By English King, I meant a recognised King who ruled over English people (though not necessarily all of them). The English King, however, is recognised as the King of England as as whole.

-------------

Date Posted: 27-May-2007 at 01:15
The title appears very ambiguous in both its definition and appointment.

-------------

Date Posted: 27-May-2007 at 06:17
Originally posted by gcle2003

Yes, very much so.. Smile Exept that not in a single case did the empire survive the emperor. I do even think it was not expected to: it was such a very personal thing, the title of Breatwealda had to be earned by hard work (war) and personal achievement (conquest) and could, I think, never be passed on to another.

The title appears very ambiguous in both its definition and appointment.

Yes, that is the fate of historians: not even defenitions are clear, because they tend to be adapted to the need of the historian. It is what keeps us on our toes... Smile
The thruth is: there is no such thing as thruth, or even objectiveness. Everything is open to multiple interpretations, and 'history as we know it' is just the consensus reached by historians based on the most convincing argumentation.

-------------

Date Posted: 27-May-2007 at 06:34

Yes, very much so.. Smile Exept that not in a single case did the empire survive the emperor. I do even think it was not expected to: it was such a very personal thing, the title of Breatwealda had to be earned by hard work (war) and personal achievement (conquest) and could, I think, never be passed on to another.
So like the Holy Roman Emperor (in theory).

I hesitate to say this but there is actually a four-fold distinction between
a) King of England (rules over the territory of England).
b) English king (might be king of anybody anywhere, but must be English - for instance James Brooke, Rajah of Sarawak).
c) King in England (rules over part of England)
d) King of the English (rules over the English people, wherever).

(I don't think there has ever, formally, been a (d) has there? You can and could be English but not subject to the King of England, couldn't you? I'm not sure.)

-------------

Date Posted: 27-May-2007 at 07:27

So like the Holy Roman Emperor (in theory).

I hesitate to say this but there is actually a four-fold distinction between
a) King of England (rules over the territory of England).
b) English king (might be king of anybody anywhere, but must be English - for instance James Brooke, Rajah of Sarawak).
c) King in England (rules over part of England)
d) King of the English (rules over the English people, wherever).

(I don't think there has ever, formally, been a (d) has there? You can and could be English but not subject to the King of England, couldn't you? I'm not sure.)

I would not go so far as to say that there has never been a (d). The distinction between "King of the English" and "King of England" is rooted in a distinction between the Germanic conception of law and the Roman conception of law. As the Germanic peoples in the period of the "barbarian" invasions were a nomadic people was that the law governs the people, wherever they are, while the Roman conception of law was that the law governs the territory, whatever people happen to be therein. Hence, this led to a situation, as the Roman Empire expanded, where it was possible to be judged by two sets of laws and methods had to be developed to decide which laws you would be judged by. From the example of St. Paul in the Bible, it seems to have been the Roman citizen's choice whether to be judged by Roman law or his own people's law.  

Anyways, back to the original point, "King of the English" was an earlier title used by the Anglo-Saxon kings but once they became more settled they began using "King of England," similar to the way that "King of the Franks" eventually gave way to "King of France." 

-------------
Ted Heiks

Date Posted: 27-May-2007 at 07:39
Yes, that would make sense... You would not call yourself king of England before the concept of England was established... Smile Good point about the law, very true.

I think (d) could theoretically be applied to subjects of the English king living in territory not under the kings rule. Technically, as long as you have the English nationality, you are a subject of the ruler of England. But in practice you would have to obey to the laws of the country you are in, and the ruler of the English would not be able to exercise much of his authority over you. But you could still commit crimes abroad punishable in England, such as treason.

-------------

Date Posted: 27-May-2007 at 11:15

Yes, that would make sense... You would not call yourself king of England before the concept of England was established... Smile Good point about the law, very true.
Agreed. But I also don't think you would call yourself King of the English before the English were established as a nation. Kings of the Saxons and Kings of the Angles abound.

I think (d) could theoretically be applied to subjects of the English king living in territory not under the kings rule. Technically, as long as you have the English nationality, you are a subject of the ruler of England.
I don't think that is true. You can reject your allegiance to the Queen (though I think she may have to agree) but that doesn't stop you being English, any more than accepting allegiance to the Queen makes you English.

But in practice you would have to obey to the laws of the country you are in, and the ruler of the English would not be able to exercise much of his authority over you. But you could still commit crimes abroad punishable in England, such as treason.

So much would depend on case law, and there are very few cases. That of William Joyce ('Lord Haw-Haw') is interesting.

Indisputably he gave support to the Nazis in WW2 by broadcasting propaganda for them. In 1945 the British put him on trial for High Treason ('aiding and assisting the enemies of the King'). However
a) he turned out to be American, and pled that on that ground he could not commit treason against some other country.
b) it then turned out that before the war he had pretended to be British in order to get a British passport, and was held to have accepted allegiance to the British crown in so doing.
On appeal however, the House of Lords were split on the issue, even though they found him guilty.

In none of that of course did he ever become English.

-------------

Date Posted: 27-May-2007 at 11:47

Agreed. But I also don't think you would call yourself King of the English before the English were established as a nation. Kings of the Saxons and Kings of the Angles abound.

Yes, but the sense of an English nation was around long before an united English country was an option, I think.

-------------

Date Posted: 27-May-2007 at 13:13

Yes, but the sense of an English nation was around long before an united English country was an option, I think.

I'm not sure there was any real concept of an English nation until after the Normans became assimilated. I think I've mentioned before that the Robin Hood tales are an allegory for the assimilation of the Saxons and the Normans, symbolised by Robin's swearing allegiance to Richard.

Myth and propaganda of course, not factual, but myths are powerful when it comes to national feeling.

It was quite late in the day or instance before the Angles and Saxons north and south of the border saw themselves as Scots and English.

-------------

Date Posted: 28-May-2007 at 04:57
There was in fact a large 'propaganda movement' in the late 9th century under king Alfred promoting a sense of unified Englishness which seems to have been reasonable sucessful. It seems to have stuck with the elite including the historians of the time, but it was at first only really cathching on in the south. You could say that this is the beginning of Englishness. But even before there is no doubt the Angles and Saxons saw themselves as closely connected, mostly due to a sense of a shared past. This is already very evident in Beda. It is also clear in the way the Angles and Saxons saw themselves as different from the peoples around them, they felt more connection with the Franks and Old Saxons than with the Scots and Welsh.

-------------

Date Posted: 28-May-2007 at 05:41
I came acrosss a reference that distinguished between Britons and English pre-Norman Invasion. 

I read it in: "The Age of Arthur" by John Morris (and its not a book on the "legendary" King Arthur but rather a history of England from 400-800AD).

I will try I find it again.

-------------

Date Posted: 28-May-2007 at 05:42
Yes, but 'English' means more than Anglo-Saxon. It certainly includes the Norman element.

One talks about Norman vs Saxon, not Norman vs English. And the English language is recognised as a French/Germanic hybrid, with words and grammatical constructions from both languages.

-------------

Date Posted: 01-Jun-2007 at 08:22
English identity was certainly around before 1066. King Alfred the Great launced something that could be seen as a 'propganda' offensive to promote the sense of 'us English' against 'them invading Scandinavians'. There is a whole school devoted to the study of this 'Making of an English nation'.

Chapman, Anna, ‘King Alfred and the Cult of St. Edmund’, History Today  (July, 2003), pp. 37-43.

Richards, Mary P., ‘Anglo-Saxonism in the Old English Laws’, in: Anglo-Saxonism and the Construction of Social Identity, Allen J. Frantzen and John D. Niles eds. (Gainesville etc., 1997), pp. 40-59.

Smyth, Alfred P., ‘The Emergence of English Identity, 700-1000’, in: Medieval Europeans: studies in ethnic identity and national perspectives in medieval Europe, Alfred P. Smyth ed. (Basingstoke etc. 1998), pp. 24-52.

Thorman, Janet, ‘The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle Poems and the Making of the English Nation’, in: Anglo-Saxonism and the Construction of Social Identity, Allen J. Frantzen and John D. Niles eds. (Gainesville etc., 1997), pp. 60-85.

(I did my Bachelor thesis on identity and integration in Viking Age England, you see. Smile)

-------------

Posted By: rider
Date Posted: 01-Jun-2007 at 13:30
Perhaps someone would be willing to conclude this topic and his own thoughts and ideas into an article on Edward I?

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com