Forum Discription: Discuss linguistics: the study of languages
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5216
Printed Date: 01-Jun-2024 at 16:03
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: What does Turkish sound like to non-Turks
Posted By: Feramez
Subject: What does Turkish sound like to non-Turks
Date Posted: 25-Aug-2005 at 23:08
I'm sure a lot of people wonder this same thing about the language they group up with and speak.  So I'd like to hear what you people think it sounds like, do you like the sound?  What language would/do you confuse it for? etc.

Replies:
Posted By: Maju
Date Posted: 26-Aug-2005 at 00:01
I have it a little forgotten (actually I can only recall greetings like merhaba or greshere and food names like shish kebab and cay) to me the vowel system sounds like a mixture of German and French, while the consonants are easier and more familiar. I recall that the gramatic was quite simple, what is always nice, and at least you don't pile up consonants in unpronuntiable clusters like some other languages do. 

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Posted By: The Hidden Face
Date Posted: 26-Aug-2005 at 01:13
I think that It sounds like a little bit soft - persian.

-------------

Posted By: Yiannis
Date Posted: 26-Aug-2005 at 03:33

To me, when I don't focus on words but on sounds it sounds like Korean or Japanese (!) and sometimes it has even sounded as native American (!!!) - not sure which dialect.

-------------
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Posted By: kotumeyil
Date Posted: 26-Aug-2005 at 18:54
I think it sounds sexy when spoken by a woman

-------------
[IMG]http://www.maksimum.com/yemeicme/images/haber/raki.jpg">

Posted By: Zagros
Date Posted: 26-Aug-2005 at 19:24

All languages sound sexy when spoken by a sexy woman

Anatolian Turkish sounds like Anatolian Turkish to me, but I have heard it a lot, so...  I would say it can sound like Persian - when i was younger and didnt know better I thought the languages were related.

to me it is too distinctive to lump with anything else. it has a lot of "lu" "ul" "lar" sounds and endings with "q".

-------------

Posted By: erci
Date Posted: 26-Aug-2005 at 20:51
that's because those are the most common suffix in Turkish.

limon+lu = With lemon

limon+lar = lemons

Turkish alphabet doesn't have letter Q so I think you meant letter K but yeah it sounds like q

Turkish sounds like a bit russian to me.with lot of sh, ch, I and u sounds

-------------
"When one hears such music, what can one say, but .... Salieri?"

Posted By: Miller
Date Posted: 26-Aug-2005 at 23:30
to me it sounds a little like softer Korean with less CHs

Posted By: azimuth
Date Posted: 27-Aug-2005 at 01:06
Originally posted by Zagros

to me it is too distinctive to lump with anything else. it has a lot of "lu" "ul" "lar" sounds and endings with "q".

i think the same.

and that somehow littel musical and it doesn't sound like persian

as i said Persian sounds soft and Turkish is more uniqe than that with the ul and lar.

-------------

Posted By: Tobodai
Date Posted: 27-Aug-2005 at 02:50

When I was in Turkey its prononcation didnt stand out to me in any definable way, but if you were to just look how it is written then you might think it would sound like this....

iyeeeee helliyyyeee hyeee ieeyeee baklaviyeeee

-------------
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton

Posted By: azimuth
Date Posted: 27-Aug-2005 at 05:07

lol  Tobodai

that is more like someone from Norway than Turkey

-------------

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 27-Aug-2005 at 05:47
Originally posted by Tobodai

When I was in Turkey its prononcation didnt stand out to me in any definable way, but if you were to just look how it is written then you might think it would sound like this....

Turkiyeeeee Devlet-i Aliye-i Osmaniye Shhiye, Adliye etc. lol

-------------

Posted By: Kenaney
Date Posted: 27-Aug-2005 at 12:12
Originally posted by Tobodai

actually those "e"'s on the end are short "e's" like it is in french =>

-------------
OUT OF LIMIT

Posted By: minchickie
Date Posted: 27-Aug-2005 at 22:34

When I hear Turkish spoken, I have to hear close because it can sound very much like Hungarian until I get a good listen.

But we have the same wording format ! I can hear the words ending in

-ek, -em, -e, -ok, -an  things like that which is exactly the same as Hungarian.

Hungarian and Turk share hundreds of the same words too.! Id like to learn it actually because I think it would be quite easy since it is in the same language family as us.

someone wrote on here once:

"Zsembemben sok alma van"    - Magyar(Hungarian)

"Cebimde chok elma var"      -Turkish

Both mean "I have alot of apples in my pocket"

-------------

Posted By: Seko
Date Posted: 27-Aug-2005 at 23:15
I usually carry my apples in a bag, but I do catch your drift!

-------------

Posted By: Hak-Khan
Date Posted: 29-Aug-2005 at 23:29
Turkish language is not similar to Persian, if you compare Turkish with another language, try Tocharian

-------------

Date Posted: 30-Aug-2005 at 02:04
Originally posted by minchickie

someone wrote on here once:

"Zsembemben sok alma van"    - Magyar(Hungarian)

"Cebimde chok elma var"      -Turkish

Both mean "I have alot of apples in my pocket"

so,

sok=many
van=to have, there is

?

I used to listen to a Hungarian band named OMEGA.I still have a few albums of them somewhere.If I wasn't focused I would have thought songs were in a different dialect of Turkish.I've heard that Hungarian is one of the most difficult languages to learn, is that so?

I've requested a Hungarian to English dictionary from library and hopefully will recieve it next week

-------------

Date Posted: 30-Aug-2005 at 02:13
Originally posted by Hak-Khan

Turkish language is not similar to Persian, if you compare Turkish with another language, try Tocharian

sh and ch sounds very common in Tocharian as well

-------------

Posted By: OSMANLI
Date Posted: 01-Sep-2005 at 09:18

A freind once said that Turkish sounds like Chinese.

Uygur Turkish is meant to sound like Arabic

-------------

Posted By: HistoryGuy
Date Posted: 10-Sep-2005 at 07:15
Turkish to me sounds actually alot like Polish.

-------------
هیچ مردی تا به حال به شما درباره خدا گفته.

Posted By: Feramez
Date Posted: 10-Sep-2005 at 09:48
Yesterday at work I tried listening to Turkish as an American and not as a Turk.  It was very hard since I've heard Turkish a lot more than English in my life.  I was surprised, I think I was able to listen to it as a non-Turk for a couple minutes and it kind of did sound like Korean.  I could be wrong though.

Posted By: ok ge
Date Posted: 10-Sep-2005 at 10:10

Well, from my own limited experience, Turkish to me sounds like a combination between the french and Korean . With lots of sounds that requires an open mouth deep penerated voice like U, , ,O It is sounds like french in that sense. Tke Konuabiliar Musunuz? Notice how many deep u sounds we needed. And sounds Korean as discussed earlier in in "CH" of  and  "G" in C.

The problem is that I hear so much turkish that I am unable to imitate the impression i would get if i was a first-time-listener to turkish. Beautiful langauge but not when they start fighting

Now, someone correct me on this, but i got the impression Anatolian Turkish changes the structure of the turkish sentance to give it a rythm as the persian language, therefore uses a lot of persian grammatical structure, true?

-------------
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.

Date Posted: 10-Sep-2005 at 10:33

It sounds unique and beautiful. I Love it. I like anatolian the most. Haven't heard the others besides Azeri (which I hear almost everyday at home   ).

Posted By: DayI
Date Posted: 10-Sep-2005 at 12:58

well cyrus i agree with you about that anatolian Turkish, if you wanna hear anatolian Turkish in a music just listen to Volkan konak: cerrah pasa

it is amazing song in anatolian Turkish.

-------------
Bu mıntıka'nın Dayı'sı
http://imageshack.us - [IMG - http://www.allempires.com/forum/uploads/DayI/2006-03-17_164450_bscap021.jpg -

Posted By: LeftEyeNine
Date Posted: 20-Sep-2005 at 12:29

To me, when I don't focus on words but on sounds it sounds like Korean or Japanese (!) and sometimes it has even sounded as native American (!!!) - not sure which dialect

It's such an interesting coincidence that Prof. Oktay Sinanoglu - who was the youngest profeesor of all time in 1962 when he earned the degree at the age of 26, nominated twice for Nobel prize, a Turkish language frontman - claimed that Japanese and Turks had very close cultural qualities, in linguistics as well.

It's also clear that Native Americans were sons of immigrants from Central Asia. Those immigrants lived long before the first time Turkic tribes appeared.

So you make an interesting point here Yannis

-------------

Posted By: gok_toruk
Date Posted: 21-Sep-2005 at 03:58

Almost 400 words out of a total 30000 words were found as common among Ural- Altaic languages and the language spoken among American Indians.

-------------
Sajaja bramani totari ta, raitata raitata, radu ridu raitata, rota.

Posted By: Attila2
Date Posted: 03-Oct-2005 at 22:48
I dont know how turkish sounds like to the others but hungarian really sounds like turkish to me!

Posted By: Jhangora
Date Posted: 06-Oct-2005 at 14:19
I like Turkish songs,especially Ibrahim Tatlises.

-------------
Jai Badri Vishal

Date Posted: 06-Oct-2005 at 16:41

Then try the following link. There are many Turkish songs there. Cilick "mzik dinle" on the red line and find brahim Tatlses under the letter "i"

http://www.muzikdinle.info - http://www.muzikdinle.info

-------------

Date Posted: 07-Oct-2005 at 09:20

hai all....

turkish?? well the same thing i wnt to say here as greek language...

it sounds complicated.. even the writing can turn people to headache.. especially people from SE Asia... sure a malay will have a hard time to learn it.. hahaha.

well .. cok gec had let me listen to a turkish song... music more to arabic melody...the lyric... err... i could hear the singer say 'yorum' so many times... can anyone let me know wht's that???!!

ciao...

-------------

Date Posted: 07-Oct-2005 at 10:15

-yorum is the first person singular form in the present continuous tense.

Yap = do      yapyorum = I'm doing

Sev = love    seviyorum = I'm loving (or I love)

-------------

Date Posted: 07-Oct-2005 at 10:26
Originally posted by kotumeyil

Then try the following link. There are many Turkish songs there. Cilick "m?ik dinle" on the red line and find ?rahim Tatl?es under the letter "i"

http://www.muzikdinle.info - http://www.muzikdinle.info

Hi Kotumeyil,

I usually download songs on morpheus which is a p2p software.Its bit of a headache bcoz i don't have a personal computer n have to download the songs each time i visit a cyber cafe.

Anyway,I'd like to get the full lyrics for katula katula by davout guloglu n the meaning in english.My turkish friend Ramazan has limited knowledge of english n could just tell me that katula katula means that I laugh n laugh n that the song is about a man who used to be very masculine but after marriage he follows all that his wife told him.Do u know the tune of this song is lifted from an Indian song.

-------------
Jai Badri Vishal

Date Posted: 07-Oct-2005 at 18:13
Yeah it's lifted from an Indian song. That song is a synthesis of Indian and Laz music but its lyrics are absurd. I don't know the lyrics but "lyrics" means "szler" in Turkish. Search "katula katula szler" in google and I think you can find them...

-------------

Date Posted: 08-Oct-2005 at 06:35
s?ler?

-------------
Jai Badri Vishal

Date Posted: 11-Oct-2005 at 05:02

the second letter is "o" with 2 dots above

-------------

Posted By: JiNanRen
Date Posted: 11-Oct-2005 at 17:56
I heard Armenian for the first time today and was surprised that the pitch of the language is very similar to Turkish.

Posted By: Zagros
Date Posted: 11-Oct-2005 at 18:00

Originally posted by JiNanRen

I heard Armenian for the first time today and was surprised that the pitch of the language is very similar to Turkish.

http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5107&PN=3 - http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5107& ;PN=3

-------------

Posted By: turkos
Date Posted: 11-Oct-2005 at 18:54
my foreign friends usually says that we speak like british.but in east it is changing to german

-------------
dont forget all events are repeating

Date Posted: 11-Oct-2005 at 22:28
Originally posted by Zagros

Originally posted by JiNanRen

http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5107&PN=3 - http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5107& ; ;PN=3

When I heard turkish for the first time (couple of years ago) I was surprised how similar it sounds to Armenian. There are whole bunch of sounds that Armenian lacks, such as all this o's and u's with umlauts, but the pitch of other vowels, the tone of the speech, the tempo are very similar. Also all these throaty gh's, kh's, etc. 

The people I've heard were from Istanbul, so perhaps the other turkish dialects sound different, I am no expert.

Mind you, I've heard uzbeks and turkmens conversing before and they did sound different, I didn't make a connection then.

Date Posted: 01-Feb-2006 at 18:31

Turkish does NOT have throaty voices...at least western turkish dialect doesnt.

What you heard was probably a dialect in eastern anatolia or maybe not turkish at all t1mm...

Date Posted: 01-Feb-2006 at 21:29
gh - kh thick throat sounds don't exist in Turkish maybe in some dialects(Eastern)

Posted By: eaglecap
Date Posted: 01-Feb-2006 at 21:34
As I recall it is interesting and the sound of Turkish in song is delightfull to the ears. I was listening to some Turkish music and I enjoyed some of it. I know it is non-Indo European but how it sounds to me as a native English speaker-hmmm!! I will have to listen to it again.

I also enjoy Spanish and Greek in song and I can speak some Spanish. I wouldn't mind learning Turkish but the only way to learn a language is going there.

My late grandfather was born in E. Thrace which is part of Turkey.

-------------
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε

Date Posted: 01-Feb-2006 at 21:43
Originally posted by Jhangora

I like Turkish songs,especially Ibrahim Tatlises.

Ibrahim Tatlises doesn't represent the Turkish music nor the Turkish language.In fact you may consider him one the murderers of Turkish language.His accent could easily pass for Arabic.I remember having hard times to understand what he was saying or singing about.Of course it's all profit that's why he is famous not only in Turkey but among Arabic countries as well.

Posted By: sedamoun
Date Posted: 02-Feb-2006 at 04:03

Turkish sounds like somebody drowning but speaking while he's coming up and down the surface.

I like turkish, but i find the sounds very rare, they come from the down of the throat. No offence but it sounds a little like this:

Uldum gldum chock yorum bldum, LEN.

What does "len" mean and why do always put it at the end of what you say.

Cheers.

-------------

Date Posted: 02-Feb-2006 at 07:09
If you are intending to say "LER" it's a plural suffix. If you really mean "LEN" it's kind of an informal addressing word.

-------------

Date Posted: 02-Feb-2006 at 07:30

I mean "LEN" as in:

"Git len!"

In greek the equivalent - I think - is "Re" (as in "tinkanis RE mal*ka?").

serefe LEN.

-------------

Date Posted: 02-Feb-2006 at 07:37
He he, then the second meaning. Sana da serefe len!

-------------

Date Posted: 02-Feb-2006 at 08:49
Though It is debatable how many speakers of Istanbul Turkish are there in Sweden 

Date Posted: 02-Feb-2006 at 09:56

Well... not many, I presume. The large majority of Turks in Sweden are from the country side, which is normal. It was the poorest ones the emigrated.

In fact, many are from a village called "KOLO" (spelled KULU). This village is being developed thanks to all the capital flows that are pumped in by the swedish-turks. Today, they refer to it as "Kolofornia" (this is true).

One problem is that many have been raised by their parents in the "old tradition" - you can imagine it better than me - small turkish village mentality. Anyway, many of them are good people that realized that they have to adapt to modern society.

I'm sorry, I don't have the time to edit the map, but if you want to look it up it's right next to Lake Tuz Gl (does that mean "Salt lake" ?).

They are know for their accent and changing every "k" into "g":

instead of saying "kuz" (young girl or girl) they say "guz".

When i went to Turkey (Istanbul, Izmir, Cesme, Pamukkale...) i really enjoyed it and found the native turks much more open minded and generous, i felt very welcomed (i know my swedish currency had something to do with it).

Cheers.

-------------

Posted By: Mortaza
Date Posted: 02-Feb-2006 at 10:28

In fact, many are from a village called "KOLO" (spelled KULU). This village is being developed thanks to all the capital flows that are pumped in by the swedish-turks. Today, they refer to it as "Kolofornia" (this is true).

Posted By: Digenis
Date Posted: 02-Feb-2006 at 12:14
Well,
in my ears turkish sound like a can that falls of the stairs

its not an insult!ireally mean it-sounds like the tune reduces from the start to the end of a phrase or smth.like that.

In greek there are turkish words,but sound very informal,and with many b,g,d. Also the u (umlaut) sounds strange.

Date Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 21:32
Originally posted by sedamoun

Turkish sounds like somebody drowning but speaking while he's coming up and down the surface.

I like turkish, but i find the sounds very rare, they come from the down of the throat. No offence but it sounds a little like this:

Uldum gldum chock yorum bldum, LEN.

What does "len" mean and why do always put it at the end of what you say.

Cheers.

lan = len = dude

-------------

Posted By: Artaxiad
Date Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 00:56

In greek there are turkish words,but sound very informal,and with many b,g,d. Also the u (umlaut) sounds strange.

Armenian, especially its' Western variation, also has some Turkish words, but those words didn't even make it to the dictionary... Most of those words have Armenian synonyms, but some people still use them. Words like:

Hayd, isht, ama, pis, janem, yavrem, chojoukh, nn, etc.

Many Armenian dishes have Turkish names, and some of them don't even have Armenian synonyms:

Keuft, Sini Keuft, Sarma, Dolma, jiger, boyreg, etc.

Turkish swear words are very popular too.

It's a bit ironic, if you know what I mean...

Date Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 10:15

I think such tensions, hate, etc. can only happen between very close and similar peoples. I know that I can get along very well with an Armenian or Greek much better than with any American, Swiss, etc. We'd better establish a new tie of friendship on the basis of peace...

-------------

Date Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 10:17
Also many Armenians' mother tongue was Turkish and they even today know Turkish very well...

-------------

Date Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 10:43

My great-great grandmother spoke Turkish only, and didn't know any Armenian. My mother and my grandparents had to speak Turkish with her.

I don't think it was because she loved Turkish so much.

Date Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 10:50

Most probably she didn't love the Turkish state but she might be loving the Turkish language. Although creators of it werre "barbarian" it's a nice language. By the way, which city was she from?

-------------

Date Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 12:08

It is said that she was from Sassoun, which is the Armenian name for the mountainous area near Moush, but I'm not sure. She might have been from Samsun too.

Date Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 12:36
Most probably she's from Sassoon...

-------------

Date Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 12:53
Originally posted by Artaxiad

Armenian, especially its' Western variation, also has some Turkish words, but those words didn't even make it to the dictionary... Most of those words have Armenian synonyms, but some people still use them. Words like:

Hayd, isht, ama, pis, janem, yavrem, chojoukh, nn, etc.

Many Armenian dishes have Turkish names, and some of them don't even have Armenian synonyms:

Keuft, Sini Keuft, Sarma, Dolma, jiger, boyreg, etc.

Turkish swear words are very popular too.

Greeks ad -is -os to the end of the loaned words, what does Armenians add? -yan(?) because many names and such is ending with -yan in Armenian

-------------
Bu mıntıka'nın Dayı'sı
http://imageshack.us - [IMG - http://www.allempires.com/forum/uploads/DayI/2006-03-17_164450_bscap021.jpg -

Posted By: Gazi
Date Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 13:05
Originally posted by DayI

Originally posted by Artaxiad

Greeks ad -is -os to the end of the loaned words, what does Armenians add? -yan(?) because many names and such is ending with -yan in Armenian

If I'm not mistaken, -yan is "son of" as in -oglu

-------------
Freedom is the recognition of necessity.-Friedrich Engels

Date Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 13:10
Turkish spoken in Samsun is the closest one to Istanbul Turkish i mean the dialect

Date Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 13:41

Armenians don't add anything next to those words. Turkish words are used only in slang language.

Posted By: redskinsfan89
Date Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 14:17

I think it sounds weird

-------------
sharam obed

Date Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 14:19
Originally posted by redskinsfan89

I think it sounds weird

What sounds weird and why that "mad" icon?

-------------
Bu mıntıka'nın Dayı'sı

Posted By: barbar
Date Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 15:47

Take it easy DayI, I guess he is dumb enough not to  know the meaning of that icon. 

-------------
Either make a history or become a history.

Posted By: Mortaza
Date Posted: 06-Feb-2006 at 02:43

Armenians don't add anything next to those words. Turkish words are used only in slang language.

Infact half  of your surnames is turkish, but only added ian.

demircian, bardakcian ext.

Posted By: Bashibozuk
Date Posted: 06-Feb-2006 at 14:24

Nalbandian. A tennis player from Armenian origin. Armenian language has many words borrowed from Turkish just like Turkish have many words from Arabic and Persian.

Greeks usually add -ides at the end of the surnames, meaning "son" as I know. They can also add "oglu" which means son in Turkish.

-------------
Garibim, namima Kerem diyorlar,
Asli'mi el almis, harem diyorlar.
Hastayim, derdime verem diyorlar,
Marasli Seyhoglu Satilmis'im ben.

Posted By: YusakuJon3
Date Posted: 09-Feb-2006 at 20:56
I have this thought:  the Turks originally hailed from central Asia, being neighbors to the steppe cultures from which the Mongols later emerged.

Perhaps the earliest influence on Turkish had been ancient Mongolian and Chinese, followed by Arabic and Persian.  There seems to be quite a few words in Turkish which have something in common with Mongolian, but having not heard either language spoken, I can't say for certain how closely they resemble each other.

-------------
"There you go again!"

-- President Ronald W. Reagan (directed towards reporters at a White House press conference, mid-1980s)

Posted By: eaglecap
Date Posted: 09-Feb-2006 at 20:59
I should head to the White House Greek and Middle Eastern Food which is owned by a Turkish man, located in Post Falls, Idaho. I should ask him for a sample of what Turkish sounds like- The food is great if you like lots of garlic.

-------------
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε

Date Posted: 10-Feb-2006 at 18:03
Originally posted by Bashibozuk

Nalbandian. A tennis player from Armenian origin. Armenian language has many words borrowed from Turkish just like Turkish have many words from Arabic and Persian.

Greeks usually add -ides at the end of the surnames, meaning "son" as I know. They can also add "oglu" which means son in Turkish.

the most famous ian I think

Date Posted: 11-Feb-2006 at 01:12
Originally posted by Mortaza

Infact half  of your surnames is turkish, but only added ian.

demircian, bardakcian ext.

It doesn't mean that it has influenced properly spoken Armenian.

Posted By: Don Quixote
Date Posted: 02-Mar-2012 at 01:12
Turkish is a very musical language, and one those I plan to learn a little from - one day when I have time.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com