Forum Discription: all things relating to the written word
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=805
Printed Date: 01-Jun-2024 at 14:24
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: AE Book club
Posted By: JanusRook
Subject: AE Book club
Date Posted: 06-Oct-2004 at 23:08

Guys I just thought up a great idea. How about once a month (lets go with the first of the month). We suggest and together as a group decide on a book to read. Then we can discuss it.

Book discussion is a very nice stimulus of intellectual conversation. So what do you guys think? Any suggestions for first book? Or genre even?

-------------
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.

Replies:
Posted By: Tobodai
Date Posted: 08-Oct-2004 at 23:39
lol, i have enough to read for class, if we stay to textboko maybe i can keep up

-------------
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton

Posted By: Dawn
Date Posted: 12-Oct-2004 at 12:46
I like this idea of yours,it sounds like fun. Where you considering non fiction or fiction? what criteria for choosing the book did you have in mind? I can see perhaps a few problems but nothing we can't work out I think.

-------------

Date Posted: 12-Oct-2004 at 13:09
well I just read the Dante club, good treat if you like 19th century american authors and dante

-------------
-Alexander Hamilton

Posted By: Abyssmal Fiend
Date Posted: 12-Oct-2004 at 15:46
I prefer the Forgotten Realms books, for no reason at all. There's 26 by Salvatore, who's basically a Modern-day Tolkien, so if you liked Tolkien, you'll like him.

-------------

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!

Posted By: Colchis
Date Posted: 12-Oct-2004 at 20:36
Originally posted by SovietJesus

I prefer the Forgotten Realms books, for no reason at all. There's 26 by Salvatore, who's basically a Modern-day Tolkien, so if you liked Tolkien, you'll like him.

Salvatore's Dark Elf Trilogy, Icewind Dale (and basically about anything with Drizzt in it) are really good. Some Forgotten Realms books can get really, really cheesy but the classic ones prove to be very enjoyable reads. Still, I prefer Dragonlance and Krynn in general.

Date Posted: 13-Oct-2004 at 00:05

Actually I don't really care whether it's non-fiction or fiction.

The first criteria that should be brought up is a book that the majority of people haven't read, or a book that people will want to read again. I personally would prefer something that's readable and won't cause too much controversy. Like I don't think people want to read "The manufacturing of wingnuts: An accountants perspective" but I also don't think people want to read "The Glory of the KKK".

Actually I just thought that we could start by offering suggestions.

I'll suggest the Kalevala. Mostly because I've always wanted to read it but never had the real drive to.

Oh and I would suggest that we refrain from series of books that are longer than three since you really have to read all the books in a series to truly enjoy them.

-------------

Date Posted: 13-Oct-2004 at 14:53

I agree that any book chosen should be a stand alone or from a short series( although some cases first books in a longer series can be stand alones as well)   as well as hold interest for the group ,no "The manufacturing of wingnuts: An accountants perspective" (love you choice of titles). Other things that I think must be considered- availiblity, the choice must be easily obtainable from a store or preferably library and I think we must ( at least to start with ) confine it to books written in English (or ones that translated to english well) as I gathered that some books have not translated well. I also think to start with that the choice should be somewhat historical (at least have some historical element to them) in nature although it doesn't have to remain such. Later choices could be Sci-fi or fantasy(we seem to have many members that are fond of those types.)

As i had never heard of your suggestion I did a little search and it looks like it could be an interesting choice. A few more choices might be: I Claudius, the Tutankhamun affair(just started reading it ,looks like it might ture out to be a good story) or even The Once and Future king.

The format for the discussion may be something else we should consider- perhaps alot a span of time to read the book and then after that date discussion could start. So the story is not given away for those who read a little slower due to time restains etc. after that time all post could be clearly labled "spoiler" so if someone is not finnished it is up to them if they read the post.    

-------------

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 13-Oct-2004 at 15:18
Originally posted by JanusRook

I'll suggest the Kalevala. Mostly because I've always wanted to read it but never had the real drive to.

Me too!

-------------

Posted By: Temujin
Date Posted: 13-Oct-2004 at 15:39
the Finish national epic? so what should we discuss about after reading it?

-------------

Date Posted: 13-Oct-2004 at 20:35

The format for the discussion may be something else we should consider- perhaps alot a span of time to read the book and then after that date discussion could start.

How about once a month (lets go with the first of the month).

As to the availability of the Kalevala here: http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/kveng/index.htm - http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/kveng/index.htm

Also, I do agree english should be the default, as that's what the forums in. Also availabilty should be a HUGE indicator. If more than 2/3 of the people have problems finding our selection than we should switch to the next highest choice.

the Finish national epic? so what should we discuss about after reading it?

I dunno, really, I've never done a book club. Um, I think things around what are your favorite characters, scenarios, settings, etc. and why? Why do you believe the finns would choose this as their national epic? and why does it i deserve to be called a national epic, etc. Or just things in the book you found interesting.

--------------------------------------------

How about this for the first 3 weeks we have the selection and voting process and then for the next week we check it's availability so we can start the book on the first of the month.

So far we have:

Kalevala- 2

I Claudius, the Tutankhamun affair- 1

The Once and Future king- 1

Any more suggestions people

-------------

Date Posted: 14-Oct-2004 at 00:09
now your just like Oprah!  Book clubs and all

-------------
-Alexander Hamilton

Date Posted: 14-Oct-2004 at 07:02
If people don't  want to read the original Kalevala, they can also try this version:

-------------

Posted By: Master of Puppets
Date Posted: 14-Oct-2004 at 09:54

LOL

Good idea, Kalevala sounds interesting to me too.

-------------
Wherever I turn, there is Death.
The Epic of Gilgamesh; Tablet XI, line 245

Date Posted: 14-Oct-2004 at 10:02

So far we have:

Kalevala- 2

I Claudius, the Tutankhamun affair- 1

The Once and Future king- 1

Any more suggestions people

I,Claudious by Robert Graves

The Tutankhamun affair by Christian Jacq

-------------

Date Posted: 14-Oct-2004 at 14:01

Originally posted by MixcoatlToltecahtecuhtli

If people don't  want to read the original Kalevala, they can also try this version:

I actually HAVE read that one and it was really awesome!

btw, regarding national epic i would like the bring in Manas (Khyrgiz) and of course the secret history of mongols.

well, i think the point of a book club is that people can discuss difficult passages, like "what does this and that stand for, what does the shadow in the corner represent, why did he do this and that" stuff like that...somethign on the line of 'death of a salesman' or '1984'....reading the Kalevala is not difficult to understand, it's just a more exotic version of King Arthur or the odyssey.

-------------

Date Posted: 14-Oct-2004 at 15:26

I think you have a point there.

The Odyssey can be interpreted on several levels too. I don't know if that's the case with the Kalevala, though.

On a second note, btw, I, Claudius seems pretty interesting to me too - both are fine with me.

EDIT: I love Don Rosa's Donald Duck's comics btw, his biography of Uncle Scrooge is awesome!

-------------

Date Posted: 14-Oct-2004 at 15:45
Originally posted by Master of Puppets

EDIT: I love Don Rosa's Donald Duck's comics btw, his biography of Uncle Scrooge is awesome!

me, too.
OT: when I searched for a picture of Scrooge's Kalevala, I discovered that Scrooge died in 1967 according to Don Rona: http://duckman.pettho.com/characters/scrooge.html - http://duckman.pettho.com/characters/scrooge.html

-------------

Date Posted: 14-Oct-2004 at 15:46

Originally posted by Master of Puppets

yes indeed, I love all the Don Rosa comics. and pretty often they have a historical background which is also nice.

-------------

Date Posted: 14-Oct-2004 at 19:28

I,Claudious by Robert Graves

The Tutankhamun affair by Christian Jacq

I did think that title sounded a bit odd. LOL.

well, i think the point of a book club is that people can discuss difficult passages, like "what does this and that stand for, what does the shadow in the corner represent, why did he do this and that" stuff like that...somethign on the line of 'death of a salesman' or '1984'....reading the Kalevala is not difficult to understand, it's just a more exotic version of King Arthur or the odyssey.

Well I know I could discuss the undertones in Anthem, The Giver, and A Canticle for Liebowitz for hours, but that's just me. Do you have any suggestions then Temujin?

-------------

Date Posted: 15-Oct-2004 at 08:49
I've been involved in a few book clubs over the years . Some have gone the way of analizing the book,looking for differant meanngs etc. Where others have discussed the authors style,charcters, what was liked or disliked,inaccurasies ,comparing it to other books of similair types ect. Both have worked but the best one was one that sort of combined both.  

-------------

Date Posted: 15-Oct-2004 at 16:06

Well I know I could discuss the undertones in Anthem, The Giver, and A Canticle for Liebowitz for hours, but that's just me. Do you have any suggestions then Temujin?

no, I just think that the kalevala would be itnerestign indeed but doubt that it would lead to much discussion...

-edit-

well, I've recently seen American Psycho on TV and liked it, maybe we can read the book? and I really like books that have a movie.

-------------

Date Posted: 21-Oct-2004 at 14:43

actually now I came up with a book: the sorrows of young werther by Goethe

-------------

Date Posted: 22-Oct-2004 at 16:19
Ah, I read that one once. Could be a nice one indeed!

-------------

Date Posted: 26-Oct-2004 at 20:27

Ok guys now time for the votes:

The candidates are

I, Claudius

The Sorrows of Young Werther

My votes going to the sorrows of young werther, it seems a little too........uh......yea......for my tastes but I'm all about exploring new genres.

If anyone else has any last minute candidates please post them quick as elections end on the first of the month.

EDIT: Removed The Tutenkhamun Affair

-------------

Date Posted: 26-Oct-2004 at 22:36
No last minute ones but I'm not sure The Tutenkhamun Affair is worthy of a first book. I have finished it now and it remined me of a Sat afternoon mattinee rather than what i originally expected it to be. I'd say I Claudius.

-------------

Posted By: vagabond
Date Posted: 27-Oct-2004 at 00:53
I vote for "I Claudius" - even for those of us who may have read it in the past - it could bear repeating - it's a good read and very well done -

-------------
In the time of your life, live - so that in that wonderous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it. (Saroyan)

Posted By: Cornellia
Date Posted: 27-Oct-2004 at 06:39

My vote is also for "I, Claudius".

-------------
Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas

Date Posted: 27-Oct-2004 at 11:23

Wow, I've never read "I, Claudius"... Can someone tell me who wrote it?

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Oct-2004 at 12:24
Claudius...

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Oct-2004 at 12:45

Wow, I've never read "I, Claudius"... Can someone tell me who wrote it?

I,Claudius by Robert Graves

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Oct-2004 at 12:47

No last minute ones but I'm not sure The Tutenkhamun Affair is worthy of a first book.

Much like the presidential elections in the US now, there appears to be only two viable candidates.

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Oct-2004 at 14:10

I vote for sorrows of youg werther...

by the way, what's this I, Claudius about? is it historical fiction or something?

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Oct-2004 at 15:36
I Cladius is a historical fiction that is set in the begining of the Roman Empire about the politics and intrige of the royal family to;ld from the point of veiw of emporer  Cladius. It is very well written and reaserched.   

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Oct-2004 at 20:07
Sounds like a buy for me.

-------------

Date Posted: 28-Oct-2004 at 16:52

It seems Claudius is leading 5-2.

Anyone else interested, only 3 days left.

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Oct-2004 at 05:22
Hm, difficult... I read Werther before, so I think I'll go for I, Claudius too.

-------------

Date Posted: 31-Oct-2004 at 14:43
Well people polls close when I get to the PC tommorow morning (Central Time) so we'll see if werther can pull a late lead.

-------------

Date Posted: 01-Nov-2004 at 13:12

Looks like I Claudius is the winner, I guess we should all keep our mouths shut for at least a week in order to give some people time to read at least the beginning for the discussion. Also if anyone has trouble finding the book please post.

-------------

Date Posted: 01-Nov-2004 at 15:09

. Also if anyone has trouble finding the book please post.

It seems to be lost in my house somewhere can you help with that?

-------------

Date Posted: 07-Nov-2004 at 12:26

I'll try to get it this week. We're actually reading parts from Suetonius's Life of Claudius in college now and our teacher is constantly recommending us to read I, Claudius  We'll have to do an assignment on Claudius too, reading additional texts by Tacitus and Seneca (the "Pumpkinification"). Should be interesting!

-------------

Date Posted: 09-Nov-2004 at 10:19

Just out of curiousity has anyone else started reading the book?

-------------

Date Posted: 09-Nov-2004 at 13:46
Yes. My new copy came yesterday(I never did find the other one I had) and I read just about half of it .  I have read it before too  

-------------

Date Posted: 10-Nov-2004 at 05:04

I'm trying to get it from the library - have read it in the distant past but will need to refresh my memory.  Once we have read and start posting about the book - shoud it be a new thread or will we be posting here?  We could still discuss which selections to choose here - and then post a new thread each month for each separate book.  I think a new thread would make it easier for new members (and some of us - like me) to keep track - something like:

AEBookclub - I Claudius

and then

AEBook club - Nicholas and Alexandra

AEBook club - Caesar's commentaries on the Gallic Wars

AEBook club - The Empress Cornellia's commentaries on the successful use of Tobodei's clone armies in repelling the attack of the penguins.

re:  future selections - as we look toward the future - are we planning on keeping the selections historical?  I think that it would be a good idea considering the group.  There's a enough material out there in just pure history and historical fiction to keep us busy for a long time.

-------------
In the time of your life, live - so that in that wonderous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it. (Saroyan)

Date Posted: 10-Nov-2004 at 10:21

I agree that a new thread is in order for each discussion. It will help to keep each book straight and it would mean that disscussion could continue after a new book was started. I tend to agree with keeping it historical ,at least mostly (I would hate to exclude the possibility of reading some of the Aurtherian novels, there almost history)

Intresting suggestions you made. I've read them all except the last one. It must be new   

-------------

Posted By: Winterhaze13
Date Posted: 13-Nov-2004 at 11:22

I'd like to suggest some books:

Dream Story (Traumnovelle in German) by Arthur Schnitzler

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas

1984 by George Orwell

Date Posted: 13-Nov-2004 at 11:28
Since this is suppose to be the AE Book Club I'd like to suggest a historian that people may enjoy reading, A.J.P. Taylor. Unlike many historians Taylor's books are not only easy to read and clear but also very fascinating, he specialized in Modern Europe, particularly Germany and Great Britain.

Date Posted: 14-Nov-2004 at 10:44

I'm trying to get it from the library - have read it in the distant past but will need to refresh my memory.  Once we have read and start posting about the book - shoud it be a new thread or will we be posting here?  We could still discuss which selections to choose here - and then post a new thread each month for each separate book.  I think a new thread would make it easier for new members (and some of us - like me) to keep track - something like:

Sorry I didn't go into detail about that. I think that the book should be opened in a new thread. Do you think we should do the discussion in the middle of the month, at the end or after we've chosen our new book?

It's great that we are getting so many suggestions, hopefully we'll have a ton of books to vote for this time around.

-------------

Date Posted: 14-Nov-2004 at 16:34

Dawn, its a very new book and fastly becoming #1.  

I was helped by my loyal vassal, Janus.

-------------

Date Posted: 18-Nov-2004 at 09:51

with Vagabond starting the first book thread the problem of spoilers came to mind. I sugest that we use an idea that I've seen else where. By changing the color of any spoiler text to beige  so it can only be read by highlighting it until such time as everyone is done no one will have it spoiler for them.  Eg.  In historical fiction the end always the same is the same: everyone dies.  Then when every one is done the text can be changed to black. What do you think?

Edit: it only seems to work somewhat on this forum color,if only i could find the right background color 

-------------

Date Posted: 18-Nov-2004 at 15:00
Best books I ever read, Im saying this just so that maybe one of you will pick it up and experience the magic.............of the His Dark Materials Trilogy of Phuillip Pullman, in the future, it will be regarded as a classic trust me.

-------------
-Alexander Hamilton

Date Posted: 19-Nov-2004 at 13:53

Edit: it only seems to work somewhat on this forum color,if only i could find the right background color 

Perhaps Cyrus in his infinite wisdom can help us.

-------------

Date Posted: 20-Nov-2004 at 04:14

I haven't posted any spoilers - we all know the result - they drink out of pewter with a high lead content - go insane - get debauched and die.  All of them.

I wouldn't worry too much about spoilers with Claudius - it's not a mystery novel - although - in several cases - the butler did do it (I'm not saying to/with whom). 

-------------

Posted By: Cyrus Shahmiri
Date Posted: 20-Nov-2004 at 06:52

Perhaps Cyrus in his infinite wisdom can help us.

[] You know that we have different background colors for even and odd rows:

Background Color 1 -> [ COLOR=#DDD6CE ]Background Color 1[ /COLOR ]

Background Color 2 -> [ COLOR=#E5DED6 ]Background Color 2[ /COLOR ]

-------------

Date Posted: 20-Nov-2004 at 10:23

The ending for all historical novels are the same....everybody dies   but seriously some people just hate knowing the details of a story before they get that far (i read the end first so it makes no difference to me) if that isn't a problem for people here then we needn't be concerned with it .

Cyrus i'll give that a try.

-------------

Date Posted: 20-Nov-2004 at 15:16
Ok newly appointed mod Janus how about stickying this thread and any others you see fit.

-------------

Date Posted: 20-Nov-2004 at 17:03
 I'm a mod now!?!?, I guess I am.  Ok I'll sticky the thread.

-------------

Date Posted: 28-Nov-2004 at 19:10

Well folks its that time again for the vote, if anyone else has contributions post them.

So far we have:

Nicholas and Alexandra

Caesar's commentaries on the Gallic Wars

Dream Story (Traumnovelle in German) by Arthur Schnitzler

1984 by George Orwell

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Nov-2004 at 00:26

I'm easy - I'd go for either Nicholas and Alexandra or Monte Cristo - one's pure history - the other a great historical novel.  Gallic Wars is too soon if we've just read Claudius (or is it?) - 1984 and Dream Story are not really historical in any way.

For future lists -

"A world lit only by fire" - Manchester

"A Distant Mirror" Tuchman

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Nov-2004 at 06:49
So we should stick to historical? Ok then those two are off the list.

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Nov-2004 at 10:50

I'm for "Count of Monte Cristo"  for no other reason than I know where my copy is and Nicholas and Alaxandra I would have to seerch my house for. (last time I didn't find the one I was looking for,I'm beging to believe my husbad when he says I have too many. this is bad very bad must not think this 

Too bad  Dream Story doesn't fill the present criteria. It was tha only one on the list I hadn't read. may have to go get it and read it anyways.  

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Nov-2004 at 16:33
Dream Story is the book on which "Eyes Wide Shut" is based - he's a good writer from what I've seen - but I didn't like the movie.

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Nov-2004 at 17:04

I've decided what I'm voting for 1421: The year china discovered america.

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Nov-2004 at 22:50

Actually - even though it wasn't on the list - it would be an interesting read -   an (amusing?)  study in pseudohistory.  Perhaps we should start a list of favorite pseudo history books to read and pick from that list some time in the future.

Chariots of the Gods would top the list - with Menzies and his chinese explorers right behind.

-------------

Date Posted: 30-Nov-2004 at 10:32

Fine then, I'll suggest that everyone read anything by Historian A.J. P Taylor, preferably:

Bismarck: The Man and the Statesman

Europe: Grandeur and Decline, which is a selection of previously published essays by Taylor.

Date Posted: 30-Nov-2004 at 11:24

Ok people we're a bit behind in all of this I'd really like to have the voting process nearly done by now, but that's ok. I'm extending the final votes till Friday at noon Eastern (US) Time.

Our choices are:

Nicholas and Alexandra by Robert K. Massie

A world lit only by fire... by William Raymond Manchester

A distant mirror... by Barbara Tuchman

1421: The year china discovered america by Gavin Menzies

Chariots of the Gods by Erich von Daeniken

Bismarck: The Man and the Statesman A.J.P. Taylor

------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------

The vote so far is

Count of Monte Cristo- 1

1421: The year China Discovered America-1

As Puffy says Vote or Die!

-------------

Date Posted: 30-Nov-2004 at 17:41
I have another book that we might consider, it was written by American historian Paul Johnson and called simple "Napoleon". It is a brief, but knowledge-filled book that recounts the life of Napoleon Bonaparte.

Date Posted: 30-Nov-2004 at 18:21

My vote goes to Count of Monte Cristo.

*whew* hoping I'm in time to vote and won't die.  LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 30-Nov-2004 at 23:37

I though I did vote - wait - you mean either - or is not a vote?  What kind of silly democracy is this. 

Ok - Monte Cristo

(1421  - next month)

-------------

Date Posted: 01-Dec-2004 at 15:48
If you have't counted my vote as of yet, I vote for Dumas' The Count of Monte Cristo.

Date Posted: 01-Dec-2004 at 18:59

Looks like the count's going to win unless other people pull an upset.

I though I did vote - wait - you mean either - or is not a vote?  What kind of silly democracy is this. 

And tell me master vagabond, which voting system should we use?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voting_systems - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voting_systems

-------------

Date Posted: 02-Dec-2004 at 01:47

Janus - Your link convinces me that Democracy is oficially dead.

Long live the King!

-------------

Date Posted: 02-Dec-2004 at 07:27

Vagabond, that should be long live the Empresses!

Dawn and myself.

-------------

Posted By: Dragon
Date Posted: 02-Dec-2004 at 08:11
The Count of Monte Cristo sounds good to me.  I'm in.

-------------
History is the study of the past that we may understand the present.

Date Posted: 02-Dec-2004 at 10:45
Are we going to dedicate a thread to discussing a particular novel?

Date Posted: 02-Dec-2004 at 13:23
yes after the alotted time to read each novel has past a thread is opened and discussion starts see http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1253&PN=1 - http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1253& ;PN=1  for the talk on our most recent book I, Claudius

-------------

Date Posted: 02-Dec-2004 at 13:44

Count of Monte Cristo it is.

In a landslide victory.

-------I'm always on the losing side------

but then again you can never lose with books. Oh God! I think I have to shoot myself now, I'm starting to sound like my 6th grade english teacher.

Also I will actually contribute more to the discussion since I couldn't get my hands on a copy of I, Claudius (it's checked out till Sept. 2005 WTF ).

-------------

Date Posted: 02-Dec-2004 at 14:14
what date are we to be finished reading by to start discussion?

-------------

Date Posted: 02-Dec-2004 at 14:45

December 17th seems like a good date if you ask me. Although I'll be drained from finishing finals.

-------------

Date Posted: 02-Dec-2004 at 19:34
December 17 is a good day for me.

-------------

Date Posted: 02-Dec-2004 at 22:49
Its a fine day, all my paper work will be done I'll almost be on holiday for christmas only thing I can see being tied up with is Sryboirn and the TQ he is thretening to have.

-------------

Date Posted: 03-Dec-2004 at 01:32

(it's checked out till Sept. 2005 WTF ).

That would be me - I checked out every library copy of I Claudius for a 2000 mile radius so that I wouldn't have to worry about finding a copy.  Now I just hope the Library has 700 copies of Monte Cristo.

Dawn - there's a special version published just for you "The Count of Monte Crisco"

that should be long live the Empresses

I bow before your serene majesties.  Doesn't mean that I'll ever submit - but I'm polite enough to bow while remaining the unrepentant vagabond king.  Of course being a vagabond means that there is no actual kingdom.  It's kind of like being ambassador at large, or minister without portfolio, or...

-------------

Posted By: Dragon
Date Posted: 03-Dec-2004 at 12:50

December 17th!!  I need at least 6 months to read a book as thick as Dumas' Count of Monte Cristo!!  Is there a movie, or maybe an audio book, or can someone call me and read it to me?!?   Tongue Clap lol

17th sounds real good.  Can't wait!!

-------------
History is the study of the past that we may understand the present.

Date Posted: 03-Dec-2004 at 13:13
And after the 17th we all should begin reading war and peace and finish the next day.

-------------

Date Posted: 03-Dec-2004 at 13:59
While playing TQ and preparing for christmas?

-------------

Date Posted: 04-Dec-2004 at 15:15

While playing TQ and preparing for christmas?

Of course and while your at it you should send us all at AE christmas gifts but we won't tell you where we live you'll have to figure that out on your own. LOL, but seriously everyone the 17th is cool for everyone to have had the book mostly read through?

-------------

Date Posted: 09-Dec-2004 at 00:41

I've started - but I'm kicking myself for forgetting how long the thing is.  What fool would vote for a book that .. Oh wait - that was me. 

I think we can perhaps go on with discussion about the early parts of the book while we wait for everyone to finish it.  I predict July, 2006 for me.

-------------

Date Posted: 09-Dec-2004 at 09:49
Originally posted by vagabond

I've started - but I'm kicking myself for forgetting how long the thing is.  What fool would vote for a book that .. Oh wait - that was me. 

I think we can perhaps go on with discussion about the early parts of the book while we wait for everyone to finish it.  I predict July, 2006 for me.

??? I'm I reading the wrong book? was it war and peace not the Count I was to read?

-------------

Date Posted: 09-Dec-2004 at 13:39
ha, i've already read Voina i Mir, do I have to re-read it?

-------------

Date Posted: 10-Dec-2004 at 11:12

Has anyone else read part or all of it (The count of Monte Cristo not war and peace) yet?  

Vagabond - If I can finish it in 3 day while sick you can finish befor July or are your eyes giving out)

-------------

Date Posted: 10-Dec-2004 at 18:48
I've read both. We are talking about the classic works right?

I am a Noob in this thread.

-------------

Date Posted: 10-Dec-2004 at 22:53
Yes we are talking(or about to talk ) about the classic works. At the moment the book club is reading The count of Monte Cristo. The war and peace thing was just a small joke. Very soon there will be a thread started for the discussion. I hope you will join in.

-------------

Date Posted: 11-Dec-2004 at 19:16

It would probably take about half a year to read Tolstoy's war and Peace, although it does look like an interesting book. The Count of Monte Cristo is a great choice, it has a historical background, is very well written and you will look like a fool if you choose to rent the film instead, considering the film adaptation with Jim Caviezel and Guy Pearce departs considerably from Dumas' novel.

When you out there do read it, I'll probably think the best parts of the novel are when Edmond is in prison and my personal favourite, his triumphant escape where based on excitment and creativity is the graetest escape from prison I have ever seen, read or heard about. But, I deter my self now and save my thoughts for the forum.

Date Posted: 21-Dec-2004 at 17:16

Suggested Reading:

The Spartans: The World of the Warrior-Heroes of Ancient Greece by Paul Cartledge.

-------------
Indeed, history is nothing more than a tableau of crimes and misfortunes.

-- Voltaire
French author, humanist, rationalist, & satirist (1694 - 1778)

Date Posted: 28-Dec-2004 at 11:35
Glad someone took some initiative, sorry I haven't been around to contribute, I've been snowed in for the past few days, just got out two days ago.

-------------

Date Posted: 28-Dec-2004 at 15:44

Another great historical novel is All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque.

-------------
Indeed, history is nothing more than a tableau of crimes and misfortunes.

-- Voltaire
French author, humanist, rationalist, & satirist (1694 - 1778)

Date Posted: 02-Jan-2005 at 01:48

For January - How about the Menzies "1421 - The year that China..."

There's a lot of interest about it - there has been some discussion about it already on some of the boards here - (and the library has a copy that I might be able to get in January.)

It's lighter reading that we have done up to this point - but I can't wait to see what he has to say (several friends have already started seriously debunking him - and from what I've read about his work - I'll probably join them.) 

Not that I would ever make up my mind before reading his thoughts - of course...

-------------

Date Posted: 14-Jan-2005 at 15:16

Did the Club die?

-------------

Date Posted: 14-Jan-2005 at 19:11
No ma'am....I've been busy reading the new books I got for Christmas.

-------------

Date Posted: 17-Jan-2005 at 23:17

I'm still game.

Just let me know what we are reading in time to get it from the library.

Have now read all of 1421 - don't bother - he's a kook.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com