Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Genocide: historical developement and necessity

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Online Status: Offline
  Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Genocide: historical developement and necessity
    Posted: 18-May-2006 at 08:32
Just an observation:

The blacklisted topic of "Armenian Genocide" is already creeping into this thread.

As the original post was to be a discussion of this subject in light of historical factors, let's continue.  But, let's not start slinging accusations and insults.

bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2006 at 08:32
Originally posted by mamikon

Sorry he is not the minister of culture, but the president of the Turkey's History Association (I think).

Precisely and as such he is simply another Turkish historian whose views do not represent necessarily those of the Turkish state - and the Turkish state is clear that more than 200,000 have died. No Turkish state office has ever used Halacoglu's number for the Armenian deaths.

Ok, I'll make this one the last one
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2006 at 08:34
Originally posted by pikeshot1600

Just an observation:

The blacklisted topic of "Armenian Genocide" is already creeping into this thread.

As the original post was to be a discussion of this subject in light of historical factors, let's continue.  But, let's not start slinging accusations and insults.

I say again.........Keep the Armenian-Turkish issue out of it.

bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2006 at 08:38

Well with all this discussion about why one should be considered a Gencoide, and the other simply a Genoicidal act or a massacre, it makes me wonder what makes a Genocide Genocide.

- is it intent?
- is it the number killed? Would you put a lower bound on the number of killings that would be classified as Genocide? 10, 100, 1000, 10 000?
- is it the brutality of the killing?

Or is it simply whatever is politically convenient?

Edited by bg_turk - 18-May-2006 at 08:40
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2006 at 08:45

He is lier like some  armenians historian too.  Both  side lies, and both side show his own people, lies said  by other side.

I dont like france too, not  because they accepted  genocide. Canada accepted genocide too, and they did not do this   political reason or anti-turkish feelinG. They  believed there was  a genocide.

I dont like france because of this

Yes, you are right. But at least Turkey, unlike France, is not claiming any superiority in morals.

also  I dont forget their large support  to greek cyprus, even Papadapolous hesitated when he saw that support. Just  guess why are they caring much for ROC. They were  using cypriot greeks, and armenians.Like at past.

Lord Ranulf View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Lord Ranulf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2006 at 09:29
Originally posted by pikeshot1600

Just an observation:

Totaly agree and support....so remember folks I created this for an historical evaluation reason.... a comparision /contrast historicaly if you will within GLOBAL PARAMETERS based on several criterion.......

hence for example..... when talking about the Turk-Armenian question /political problem.... OR ANY OTHER nationalist/tribal/empiric conflict that has led to genocidal acts....Romans vs.Parthians etc.etc...... Africa etc.etc.

was there a significant economic question involved in the difficulties as well as other factors of: race fear//prejudice//religion //nationalism etc........

in saying that..... all were obvious factors......but was one more important then another or were allmoreo or less equal catalysts? And if you or I believe so why do we consider it in that light......

Think history.......passionately but not with animosity attached.Smile

ps....
 I realise the Turk vs.Armenian question is a banned topic and am satisfied that if neccesary the admin guy's will shut this down.....and I WOULD SUPPORT THAT....hence again talking about it.... imo.... should be for example .....in comparision/ contrast to other examples of historical genocide..and if that can't be done and this thread dies.... because we can't focus on and along those lines......then THAT ITSELF SPEAKS volumes to whether we are here to discuss history or just play games.

Edited by Lord Ranulf - 18-May-2006 at 09:41
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2006 at 09:42
Prejudices reach a peak in terms of war..So a genocide is predicted to take place  after a war broke out.....But a war alone  is not enough to trigger a genocide...As I satetd in my previous posts, there must be a very long cultural background,and social exclusion of that spesific group...

For example, I would argue that The Holocaust was the extention of imperialist rhetoric.

As you know, the invasion of the Soviet Union marked a deathly path on the way of The Holocaust.

And may I inform you that in his table talks, Hitler was constantly giving India as an example to their campaign.

Hitler inculcated his generals that:
''What India is for England, the territories of Russia would be for us''

''Russia is our indian space''

'' In order to exploit the Ukraine-The new Indian empire...''

It can be argued that the Holocaust was imperialism without the civilization rhetoric.

Originally posted by Lord Ranulf

I realise the Turk vs.Armenian question is a banned topic and am satisfied that if neccesary the admin guy's will shut this down.....and I WOULD SUPPORT THAT....hence again talking about it.... imo.... should be for example .....in comparision/ contrast to other examples of historical genocide..and if that can't be done and this thread dies.... because we can't focus on and along those lines......then THAT ITSELF SPEAKS volumes to whether we are here to discuss history or just play games.

Not going deep into the topic, I could assure you that the Ottomans did NOT develop a hatred towards the Ottoman Armenians.Just before WWI broke out, even the ottoman foreign minister(Gabriel Noradukian) was an Armenian nationalist.

Edited by TheDiplomat - 18-May-2006 at 09:45
ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2006 at 17:51
Originally posted by TheDiplomat

Just before WWI broke out, even the ottoman foreign minister(Gabriel Noradukian) was an Armenian nationalist.

He rose to that government position before the Young Turks took power via coup de'tat in 1913, and was subsequently removed from his post by that regime. Your facts are out of context. And isn't calling him a nationalist a bit of a generalization? Is there proof that he was active in promoting an independent Armenia? If he was, I highly doubt the Ottomans would let him rise to that position (no matter which regime was in charge). Unless you mean they conveniently discovered he was a nationalist right after the Young Turks took power Wink

Lets stop talking about this issue and get back on topic.

Originally posted by bg_turk

Well with all this discussion about why one should be considered a Gencoide, and the other simply a Genoicidal act or a massacre, it makes me wonder what makes a Genocide Genocide.

- is it intent?
- is it the number killed? Would you put a lower bound on the number of killings that would be classified as Genocide? 10, 100, 1000, 10 000?
- is it the brutality of the killing?

Or is it simply whatever is politically convenient?

I would say that genocide is characterized solely by its intent and the methods used. The brutality and numbers are irrelevant as to whether or not the act constitutes as genocide, since horrible deaths also occur during war and other instances. The difference is, wars are fought for control of resources, land, power, etc., while genocide is solely manifested in order to wipe out a specific group of people regardless of whether or not they are responsible for anything other than being part of that group.

Genocide--the deliberate and systematic destruction of a racial, political, or cultural group....  http://m-w.com/dictionary/genocide

One important note: Just because a genocide is planned doesn't mean its going to be carried out smoothly (especially when most genocides are carried out in times of war). So you can't simply say the people who did the killing were independent of government control just because they were bandits and criminals and such. Its funny how known felons and criminals are walking around en masse in the first place (they are obviously freed deliberately by way of government order). Anyways, government-sponsored bandits and criminals only do part of the killing in most genocides, not all of it.

and why does "Noradukian" bring 0 hits on google? why?

I noticed that too, but I found one site that has a Noradunkian as a Ministor of Foreign affairs, but it is a turkish media source (which means its filtered by the government), and even by their accounts, it was in the era before the Young Turks took over. Yep...pretty fishy.

Edited by ArmenianSurvival - 18-May-2006 at 18:03
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2006 at 17:58
I think Genocide comes from the top. It is prone to occur when a single person or a group of men have supreme power. The victims are often of different race, religion, culture and a combination of those. Prior to genocide the majority of the victim population is treated as a second class citizen. Small scale massacres, further rights cuts usually precede genocides. The problems of the nation are always blamed on the victims, this is channeled to the populace via popular rhetoric and through religion to name a few. It is based on supremacy, racism and hatred of one's culture.

The victims of genocide are almost always those who cant defend themsleves, mostly women, children and the elderly; even though those groups do not threaten the state. It is always illogical and baseless

"Not going deep into the topic, I could assure you that the Ottomans did NOT develop a hatred towards the Ottoman Armenians.Just before WWI broke out, even the ottoman foreign minister(Gabriel Noradukian) was an Armenian nationalist.

not going too deep either, but why were the Armenians called "kavurs" or "dogs", why did they not have the rights that Turks had, why couldnt they join the army, why did they have to pay unfair taxes, why were 200,000 of them massacred in 1894, and 30,000 in 1909 and why does "Noradukian" bring 0 hits on google? why?...feel free to get back to the topic

btw, here is a list of famous Jews in Germany just before the holocaust

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_German_Jews

Edited by mamikon - 18-May-2006 at 18:11
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2006 at 18:18
Originally posted by ArmenianSurvival

I would say that genocide is characterized solely by its intent and the methods used. The brutality and numbers are irrelevant as to whether or not the act constitutes as genocide, since horrible deaths also occur during war and other instances. The difference is, wars are fought for control of resources, land, power, etc., while genocide is solely manifested in order to wipe out a specific group of people regardless of whether or not they are responsible for anything other than being part of that group.

On the contrary. In my opinion Genocide is all about resources, land and power. It occurs when two rival groups compete for resources, land and power, and thus each group tries to destroy the other. There are two ways to do that. A harder and a more time demanding way is trhough assimilation (which is a cultural genocide), whereas the easier and often quicker way is through a physical genocide. I think most of the Genocides in history can be explained in this way ... but I cannot explain the Holocaust in this way.

What did the Nazis gain by destroying the Jews of Germany?

Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2006 at 19:09

On the contrary. In my opinion Genocide is all about resources, land and power. It occurs when two rival groups compete for resources, land and power, and thus each group tries to destroy the other.

Land and power are just convenient side effects (and it certainly adds incentive to those unstable members of society who wouldn't mind killing their neighbor in order to take their possessions). I believe that genocide is based and manifested through idealism, not practicality. Most genocidal regimes are out to create "greater" or "pan" empires, which is very impractical, because the damage done to the economic, intellectual and cultural spheres of the nation outweigh any good that comes from a homogenous state or a racially unified empire. Killing those who were born into a group regardless of whether or not they committed a crime is not practical especially when many of them can be intelligent and useful to the state. If they killed only those who were rebellious and potentially dangerous to the state, then that would be practical. As you know, thats not what happens during genocide, therefore its not practical, but rather it is idealistic.

If the aim of the regime was just for resources, land and power, then using up state resources to kill defenseless, powerless people who belong to an "enemy group" is complete incompetance and out of touch with reality. If certain individuals are rebellious, thats already enough justification to put them in jail. If they aren't rebellious, then leaving that person in his/her economic/intellectual/political position would do nothing except benefit the state. Getting rid of competant members of society for no reason and replacing them with less competant people who fit into your imaginary group is blind idealism.

Edited by ArmenianSurvival - 18-May-2006 at 19:26

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2006 at 20:41
to the Diplomate:
ain't you mistaking two different things, the Shoa and the Hitler's eastward extension policy?
M.
I am a free donkey!
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2006 at 21:56
Originally posted by ArmenianSurvival

If the aim of the regime was just for resources, land and power, then using up state resources to kill defenseless, powerless people who belong to an "enemy group" is complete incompetance and out of touch with reality. If certain individuals are rebellious, thats already enough justification to put them in jail. If they aren't rebellious, then leaving that person in his/her economic/intellectual/political position would do nothing except benefit the state. Getting rid of competant members of society for no reason and replacing them with less competant people who fit into your imaginary group is blind idealism.

This doesn't make sense. If the aim of the regime is materialistic and human life is meaningless, it would commit genocide precisely in order to save resources in order to deal with rebellious individuals cheaply. Administering justice properly and seeking out the roque individuals from the victim group is certainly much more expensive and demands much more resources than simply applying collective punishment on the whole group.  

Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2006 at 22:13
I think BG Turk is right.  Genocide probably exists just as much because it's effective at subjugating people as it is at unleashing hate.  Look at what Genghis Khan did, he killed droves of people so that they could not revolt against him later.  Other examples abound like what the Turks did to Anatolian Greeks after the Fall of Byzantium. 

If resisters to the rule of the mass murders are the "fish" and their peoples are the "water", genocide can be a means of killing the fish by eliminating the water.  Without water a fish cannot survive, just as resistance cannot exist without the active and passive support of their people.
Member of IAEA
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2006 at 22:35
Originally posted by bg Turk

This doesn't make sense. If the aim of the regime is materialistic and human life is meaningless, it would commit genocide precisely in order to save resources in order to deal with rebellious individuals cheaply. Administering justice properly and seeking out the roque individuals from the victim group is certainly much more expensive and demands much more resources than simply applying collective punishment on the whole group. 

the rebellious few are few, while if one is administering Genocide it kills all of the members, this would be much more expensive. I think what ArmenianSurvival meant was that when a whole group of people is eradicated, a gap is created in an economy, that gap is filled with new, and incompetent people, which brings disaster for the economy.

Edited by mamikon - 18-May-2006 at 22:38
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2006 at 22:37
"Genocide probably exists just as much because it's effective at subjugating people as it is at unleashing hate"

what are you talking about, after Genocide there is no more people to subjugate.
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2006 at 02:48

Originally posted by Genghis

If resisters to the rule of the mass murders are the "fish" and their peoples are the "water", genocide can be a means of killing the fish by eliminating the water.  Without water a fish cannot survive, just as resistance cannot exist without the active and passive support of their people.

If you get rid of the fish and water, then the pond no longer exists and the environment is harder to sustain as a result.

One would ask why the state would provoke people to revolt against them in the first place by making mass murder and oppression a new rule. Also, rebels never have popular support from their people unless the people are oppressed on a massive scale. If the government oppresses a group based on such things as ethnicity or religion and forces them to rebel, then that in itself shows incompetance on the part of the state (by keeping down those individuals who can potentially benefit the state just because they are not of the right ethnic or religious background). And if the state doesn't oppress them and theres no popular support for the rebels, then there would be no need to destroy such a large group of citizens only to eliminate such small pockets of resistance. The average citizen has no incentive to rebel against their state if they are treated as equal citizens. Sadly in genocides, small pockets of resistence (self-defenses) are made out to look like massive uprisings with the whole group to blame when in fact it is all government propaganda...also, the fighting and instability will only increase if you target a group based on such loose affiliations as religion or ethnicity, as opposed to targeting them based on guilt of a crime or something that actually harms the state. It now gives these people who were once loyal all the incentive in the world to take up arms with anyone who wants to pick a fight with you.

Plus, if the state has already cut off the intellectual and political leaders of the group and disarmed its citizens (which is the beginning stage in virtually all genocides), then that population will be too weak and disorganized to do anything, so whats the point of throwing them all away? You're throwing away people who make money for your economy, are trying to make scientific breakthroughs, etc. Total waste of human resources. It just creates a brain-drain and a vacuum is created in the economic and cultural spheres, as well as other areas.

Originally posted by Genghis

Look at what Genghis Khan did, he killed droves of people so that they could not revolt against him later.  Other examples abound like what the Turks did to Anatolian Greeks after the Fall of Byzantium.

In both examples they either massacred the people who were rebelling, or they killed everyone within a certain hot-zone or city. For example, the Turks of the middle ages didn't kill every Greek within their borders, but only Greeks in certain areas and just enough to quell any potential uprisings. They still got the benefits from the remaining loyal Greek citizens without the risk of rebellion. Genghis Khan would also only eliminate populations who were in a zone of rebellion...he didn't target everyone within his empire who were of the same ethnic or religious background as the rebel group. The only people Genghis Khan nitpicked and searched his empire for was disloyal citizens/government officials. A genocide would be if the Turks of the Middle Ages went after every single Greek within their borders on the pretext of rebellion, or if Genghis Khan decided that all Chinese were to blame regardless of whether or not they were even close to the rebellion. It would be a complete waste, and they would be alienating huge parts of their populations and throwing otherwise loyal areas into complete rebellion.

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2006 at 12:39

"Not going deep into the topic, I could assure you that the Ottomans did NOT develop a hatred towards the Ottoman Armenians.Just before WWI broke out, even the ottoman foreign minister(Gabriel Noradukian) was an Armenian nationalist.

not going too deep either, but why were the Armenians called "kavurs" or "dogs", why did they not have the rights that Turks had, why couldnt they join the army, why did they have to pay unfair taxes, why were 200,000 of them massacred in 1894, and 30,000 in 1909 and why does "Noradukian" bring 0 hits on google? why?...feel free to get back to the topic

btw, here is a list of famous Jews in Germany just before the holocaust

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_German_Jews 

Totally crap...

'The term ''gavur'' is used for Non-muslims not for armenians spesifically. Get some knowledge before using it..

They joined the army..Even at Gallipoli 1915 there were Ottoman ARmenian soldiers..

unfair taxes? it is always the same chiche argument for propagandists...you expect everyone to believe you when you argue aboıut Muslims and Non-Muslms had been put on a equal statues before law since 1856.

By the way,the link you gave.......it is a link to the All Empries forumsLOL

Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2006 at 12:55
Originally posted by Maharbbal

This point is important: the French army killed civilians and peacefull demonstrators with tanks, artillery and machineguns. No doubt this is an act of genocide and it is a shame nobody has be sentence for that. But after the war was declared, well it is sad to say but anti-guerilla and anti-'terrorists' wars are not famous to be pretty things.

M.

I don't think you can justify the extermination of Algerian groups by the French army  by making a sweeping generalization like that. Don't forget that the Jesw who resisted the Germans in Warsaw also fell into your sweeping category.

One thing is for sure:All Algerians who were massacred were not terrorists nor guerillas.

Edited by TheDiplomat - 19-May-2006 at 12:59

Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2006 at 13:02
Originally posted by Tobodai

Genocide is a waste of time.  Given what you loose especially in terms of intellect and resource gathering in order to gain a more harmonious community the cost benefit ratio tilts towards cost. 

An interesting as well as plausible approach.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>