Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Do you think Iraq should be cut up ethnicly?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Do you think Iraq should be cut up ethnicly?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
20 [54.05%]
16 [43.24%]
1 [2.70%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
AssyrianGuy7 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote AssyrianGuy7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do you think Iraq should be cut up ethnicly?
    Posted: 02-Dec-2004 at 16:05
Vote!!!
"Blessed be my people, Egypt, and the work of my hands, Assyria, and my special possession, Israel!"
(Isaiah 19:23-25)
sephodwyrm View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote sephodwyrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2004 at 00:27

I voted no because I feel that I have to support the minority voice.

If Iraq is cut up ethnically, we'll have new breed of hatred between the races, new debts to settle, new people to kill. And plus, its harder for the US to make deals with multiple ethnicities in their Oil grubbing ambitions.

"Therefore, whatever you want men to do to you, do also to them"
"Not what goes into the mouth that defiles the Man, but what comes out of the mouth" Matthew 7:12, 15:11
Samurai
Samurai

Quote AssyrianGuy7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2004 at 08:02
what they can do is share the oil. split it evenly
"Blessed be my people, Egypt, and the work of my hands, Assyria, and my special possession, Israel!"
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2004 at 08:28
A federation would be the best idea I think. If that's not possible it should be split up.
Romano Nero View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Romano Nero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2004 at 08:32

Splitting it up, as it happened in the Balkans with Yugoslavia, would only serve the interest of the Great Powers who wish to have a say in the oil business and the general geopolitical makeup.

Small time nationalism is what keeps countries at bay, obedient to the suggestions of the "mighty protectors" and "liberators". Don't fall for that, my friend. Assyrian in Iraq aren't even that many to claim their own territory - the Kurds are many, but Turkey would jump to the sound of the word "Kurdistan"

UNITY is what might give the small-time nations a saying in the great, globalized world. Fragmentation and "let's have each one his own tiny-little-country" is only watering the mill of the Powerful Imperialists. Why do you think Europe is getting togher? In a decade all the countries that split up from Yugoslavia, shall join together again under the EU umbrella.

Makes you wonder, doesn't it?

Edited by Romano Nero
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2004 at 12:25
They already are slipt up. It was a British political invention that these groups are together. Of course, the oil would make a separation difficult.
Consul
Consul

Quote sephodwyrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2004 at 13:14
No. It is British intervention that caused them to split up again. They used to be in a big Islamic dominion before hand.
"Not what goes into the mouth that defiles the Man, but what comes out of the mouth" Matthew 7:12, 15:11
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2004 at 14:16
There were 3 seperate provinces under ottoman rule, with their own degree of automny. The Brits dumped them in one country with centralised rule, and from there the problems started.
Arrrgh!!"
Consul
Consul

Quote sephodwyrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2004 at 19:14

Can you at least provide some sources? I thirst for information and not one liners.
Btw, don't consider me an information source about this. All I know is that the Osmans still constitute a central unifying force and dumping them in 1 country with centralized rule seems odd for the Britsh. What is this country? How did it all break up again?

From what I have been taught I know that the Osman Empire was carved up into mandates and even Turkey have to fight for their own existence.

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2004 at 04:31

Originally posted by sephodwyrm

that the Osman Empire was carved up into mandates and even Turkey have to fight for their own existence.

Ottoman empire was comprised of many different people. It started being "carved up" when these people started demanding liberty and separation from the Ottoman empire that was condemning them to stagnation (economical, social, scientific etc). French revolution has played it's part since it inspired many revolution leaders same as industrial revolution. The upper classes wanted to follow the examples of Europe in economical development.

Anyway this is a subject by itself, the bottom-line is that the Ottoman Empire (or what was left of it) was divided to pieces according to the majority of the populations, by the victors of WW1. The country that emerged (Turkey) managed to salvage some pieces back (Smyrna region and East Thrace from the Greeks, Armenia from Armenians, Kurdistan from the Kurds...)and create a more or less homogenous population basis for the new state.

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2004 at 16:59
All I know is that the Osmans still constitute a central unifying force and dumping them in 1 country with centralized rule seems odd for the Britsh.

Odd?
Have you looked at a map of Africa lately?
Arrrgh!!"
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2004 at 19:14
thats just as much the French and the Belgians as the British, indeed we have seen some of that intelligent policy in Rwanda.  If peopel want to be bigots give them seperate states, if people are intelligent enough to work together despite the fact that group X has a bigger nose than group Y have one state, a case b case basis if you will.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
mongke View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote mongke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2004 at 21:58
I voted yes.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2004 at 00:35
i voted no but it really does not matter... it is already on the brink of civil war, the only thing standing in its way is america... splitting it is the opposite of what we want.
Samurai
Samurai

Quote AssyrianGuy7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2004 at 16:25
well at least they can give the assyrians an administrative region where they can govern themselfs and still be apart of iraq
Samurai
Samurai

Quote AssyrianGuy7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2004 at 21:15
any comments!
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2004 at 05:24

No

not logical

if that is the correct thing to do then you will find 10000 countries in this world

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2004 at 08:59
Originally posted by azimuth

if that is the correct thing to do then you will find 10000 countries in this world

6000 to be correct (if language determin nationality)

If you you say Iraq should be splitted up that doesn't say other countries should be splitted up as well. It's a bit lame if you can prevent or end a war by splitting Iraq up, but don't do it "because otherwise thousands of other countries will declare independence".
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2004 at 09:54
Why shouldn't we call Iraqis as Assyrian Muslims? In Sassanid period (and even early Islamic), western province of the empire was called Asuristan which means land of Assyrians, we can't say that most of Assyrian were disappeared when Arabs conquered their land but there can be a simple possibility that majority of them converted to Islam like Persian Zoroastrians.
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2004 at 10:16

Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

Why shouldn't we call Iraqis as Assyrian Muslims? In Sassanid period (and even early Islamic), western province of the empire was called Asuristan which means land of Assyrians, we can't say that most of Assyrian were disappeared when Arabs conquered their land but there can be a simple possibility that majority of them converted to Islam like Persian Zoroastrians.

when you said call Iraqis as Assyrian Muslims , you meant all Iraqis??!!  since not all of them are Assyrians  well i dont know the %  but it is small.

and what will the name changing do or help what is happinig?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>