Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Military Effectiveness of the Waffen SS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Military Effectiveness of the Waffen SS
    Posted: 31-Dec-2007 at 22:12
Originally posted by beorna

Among the western Europeans were 50.000 Dutch, 40.000 people from Belgium (Vlamish and Wallons), 20.000 from France, from Danmark and Norway about 6.000 and 1200 from Switzerland, Sveden, Luxemburg, Danmark (500), Britain. About 1000 finnish soldiers served until 1943 in the SS.

There was a muslim-division wich was planned with 26000 men, but  I don't know hom many served laster.

The numbers for Western Europe seem a little high.   German officials were known to exaggerate the number of volunteers through creative counting methods.

For example, Western European recruits enlisted for contracts.  If the same soldier extended his contract, he was counted again as a new volunteer.  This same man may have already been counted once before he even enlisted by joining a right wing, German sponsored sports association etc. .)    Thus one volunteer could  be counted as three.

There was a muslim-division wich was planned with 26000 men, but  I don't know hom many served laster.

I think that it fielded about 8,000 Muslims and Croats.  When in the Balkans, the division quickly developed a bad reputation for discipline.  The division was then moved to France for anti partisan duties.  Soon after the move,  the division mutinied and some German officers and NCOS were killed.   After the mutiny, the unit was disbanded.

Edited by Cryptic - 31-Dec-2007 at 22:21
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jan-2008 at 01:01
Originally posted by Challenger2

Originally posted by axeman

Originally posted by Temujin

Originally posted by axeman

You probably mean Latvia instead of "Lethuania".
In total there were around 80000 Latvians and 30000 Estonians fighting for Nazi Germany in SS units.

wasn't there also a Lithuanian SS?

No, though I don't know why.

No Baltic Germans in Lithuania as opposed to Latvia and Estonia? Just a thought.

Probably, but at the same time there were SS units from lands which didn't have indigenous German population like Russian, Albanian, Belorussian, Ukrainian, Croatian units. The Baltic SS units were formed later during the German uccopation and in that time there were no Baltic Germans in Baltic states. They left in 1939 according to Molotov-Ribbentrop pact.

Edited by axeman - 01-Jan-2008 at 01:01
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jan-2008 at 16:57
i actually noticed that the Soviet Union themself had quite numerous Lithuanians (including some who got awarded Hero of the Soviet Union) amongst their soldiers, though i don't udnerstand why Lithuanians, as opposed to Latvians and Estonians who all three had been invaded and annexed by the SU, cooperated with their masters. Batlic Germans have been repatriated to Germany in 1939 according to the Hitler-Stalin pact, the predecessor of the better known Molotov-Ribbentrop pact.
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jan-2008 at 17:18
Originally posted by Temujin

i don't udnerstand why Lithuanians, as opposed to Latvians and Estonians who all three had been invaded and annexed by the SU, cooperated with their masters. 

The Lithuanians also supplied a good number of recruits for auxiliary SS formations.  Following the Soviet  victory, Lithuanian "Forest Brothers"  resisted both Russian and Pro Soviet Lithuanians until the early 1950s.

It is interesting that the Soviets had more support in Lithuania than the other two states.  Several large Jewish resistance groups were  able to  survive in Lithuania as well.
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jan-2008 at 17:38
Originally posted by Cryptic

The Lithuanians also supplied a good number of recruits for auxiliary SS formations.  Following the Soviet  victory, Lithuanian "Forest Brothers"  resisted both Russian and Pro Soviet Lithuanians until the early 1950s.

It is interesting that the Soviets had more support in Lithuania than the other two states.  Several large Jewish resistance groups were  able to  survive in Lithuania as well.

Probably, because after Poland was smashed by both sides - the Soviets gave part of the Vilnius region back to Lithuania (For the most of the 20 and 30 ties Lithuania had very bad relationships with Poland due to Vilnius region issue).

But then again Lithuanian partisans showed fiercer and longer resistance to Soviet occupation compared with other Baltic states. The last "Forest brother" is said to come out of the forests when Lithuania regained independence.

Edited by axeman - 01-Jan-2008 at 17:39
Svyturys View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Svyturys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jan-2008 at 20:55
Why there were no Lithuanian SS? Because lithuanians didn't want to go. It was unlucky for germans who wanted to create such a mob. Later germans changed them tactic and let lithuanians to have them own forces. And it was lucky. Then again, Germany wanted to incorporate that mob to SS police. But again... LITHUANIANS JUST LOVE FREEDOM.

Hey. Why do you, Temujin, say that lithuanians didn't make resistence agains USSR? Just try google to read about lithuanian partisans that were best organised and strongest amongst three Baltic countries. They controlled many villages, forests.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOLNWtqafdI - something for education..
Every moment, like last, neither earth, nor sky don't calculate time. Left only one heart in scorched bosom. Throbing only drums again, calling us into battle.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2008 at 08:10
Originally posted by Svyturys

Why there were no Lithuanian SS? Because lithuanians didn't want to go. It was unlucky for germans who wanted to create such a mob. Later germans changed them tactic and let lithuanians to have them own forces. And it was lucky. Then again, Germany wanted to incorporate that mob to SS police. But again... LITHUANIANS JUST LOVE FREEDOM.

Hey. Why do you, Temujin, say that lithuanians didn't make resistence agains USSR? Just try google to read about lithuanian partisans that were best organised and strongest amongst three Baltic countries. They controlled many villages, forests.

Not true,by 43 there 'was' a lithuanian SS regiment under Voldemars Veiss, at one point he became commander of the second lithuanian SS brigade, stand by as i find more data.

It appears that there were 'some' lithuanian SS units, the exception from otherv non-german SS units was that the lithuanians were allowed to keep lithuanian officers and lithuanian command chain ( normally everyone above captain would be german ).
Svyturys View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Svyturys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2008 at 19:17
http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voldemārs_Veiss
As we see he was working in Latvia, not Lithuania. ;)

General Plechavičius refused germans try to incorporate that lithuanian mob to german police and he was arrested, and mob of lithuanians was demilitarized.

Edited by Svyturys - 02-Jan-2008 at 19:22
Every moment, like last, neither earth, nor sky don't calculate time. Left only one heart in scorched bosom. Throbing only drums again, calling us into battle.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2008 at 22:02

http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voldemārs_Veiss
As we see he was working in Latvia, not Lithuania. ;)

General Plechavičius refused germans try to incorporate that lithuanian mob to german police and he was arrested, and mob of lithuanians was demilitarized.
Thats actually a general practice of nazi high command, all foreign divisions were to serve abroad.

Also there were two more lithuanian brigades that i know of, both served as part of SS occupation forces but as far as i know none of them ever took part in any of the atrocities.

Back to the topic.

The SS if we must generalize were good, not so much by training but because when other formations received kids and elderly they'd get the few remaining healthy young men, also they'd be the first to get best equipment which obviously made them particulary effective.

However apart from several specific units SS were never an absolute elite they're often portrayed, elements of wehrmacht were far more effective.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2008 at 22:33
those formations of the Heer include the units Grodeutschland, Brandenburg, Panzer Lehr and Feldherrenhalle. other than that the Hermann Gring unit, which belongs to the Luftwaffe.

i knew about the forest brothers, i just assumed that Lithuanians were not  a big part of it. also i recently read a book about female heroes of the soviet union and i found a lithuanian partisan amongst them, another reason why i assumed Lithuania was much more pro-Soviet than pro-German.

Edited by Temujin - 02-Jan-2008 at 22:34
Svyturys View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Svyturys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2008 at 15:32
Also there were two more lithuanian brigades that i know of, both served as part of SS occupation forces but as far as i know none of them ever took part in any of the atrocities.

Come on. Give us a links that prooves it, cause i have never heard about it. We here know fact that here germans attemps had no lucky.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2008 at 18:13

Come on. Give us a links that prooves it, cause i have never heard about it. We here know fact that here germans attemps had no lucky.

True to a degree, Germans never managed to press Lithuanians into active duty, the volunteers did make up a better part of two SS AA brigades serving on the eastern front ( mark you they were not officially lithuanian brigades but most of their troops were lithuanian ).

Stand by for sources it will take some scanning and googling since the subject is an obscure one and lithuanian sources lie blatantly ( which is stupid by the way since the kind of independency they showed the lithuanians never partook in any of the atrocities ).

Edited by Dekameron - 07-Jan-2008 at 18:14
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2008 at 17:37
Originally posted by Cryptic

Among the western Europeans were 50.000 Dutch, 40.000 people from Belgium (Vlamish and Wallons), 20.000 from France, from Danmark and Norway about 6.000 and 1200 from Switzerland, Sveden, Luxemburg, Danmark (500), Britain. About 1000 finnish soldiers served until 1943 in the SS.

The numbers for Western Europe seem a little high.   German officials were known to exaggerate the number of volunteers through creative counting methods.

For example, Western European recruits enlisted for contracts.  If the same soldier extended his contract, he was counted again as a new volunteer.  This same man may have already been counted once before he even enlisted by joining a right wing, German sponsored sports association etc. .)    Thus one volunteer could  be counted as three.

I think that it fielded about 8,000 Muslims and Croats.  When in the Balkans, the division quickly developed a bad reputation for discipline.  The division was then moved to France for anti partisan duties.  Soon after the move,  the division mutinied and some German officers and NCOS were killed.   After the mutiny, the unit was disbanded.

Actually, Bosnian part n SS forces, known as Handzar Divizija or 13. Waffen-Gebirgs-Division der SS Handschar, at the beginning of recruitment (after Himmler's recommendation and Hitler's approval on 13th February 1943.) had around 8-9 thousands men, and around the end of the year 1943. number increased to over 21 000 men. (some sources mentioned a number of 25-26 thousands, but number of 21 000 is used in 90% cases)
Majority were Bosnian Muslims, and due to some agreement with Pavelic's NDH (Independent State of Croatia - Hitler's puppet state on Balkans), division was also allowed to have 10% Catholics. Numbers are more or less correct, so it has around 90% of Bosniaks and around 10% Croats.

Comanders were:
1. SS-Obergruppenfhrer Artur Phelps (in charge of raising this division, from 10 February 1943... replaced after weak results of the first recruitment)
2. SS-Oberfhrer Herbert von Obwurzer (1 April 1943 - 9 August 1943)
3. SS-Gruppenfhrer Karl-Gustav Sauberzweig (9 August 1943 - June 1944)
4. SS-Brigadefhrer Desiderius Hampel (June 1944 - 8 May 1945)

Even tho that Bosnian Waffen SS Handschar Division was mostly made of men who wanted to fight in their own land and were originally recruited to fight against Muslim and Serb Partisans in Bosnia, Division was sent to France and garrisoned in Villefranche-de-Rouergue.

On September 17th 1943, a group of Bosniak and Croat recruits started a mutiny with a main plan to reach and join western Allies, and they succeeded to capture most of Germans and then they executed five German officers and for a short while they succeeded to "liberate" Villefranche-de-Rouergue, so, as I mentioned, for a short while it became "first free city in France"... There is a book about these events - "Les rvolts de Villefranche", and after liberation of France, in Villefranche-de-Rouergue one street got their name, as a tribute to their brave act.

However, mutineers didn't get enough men on their side, so Germans, together with Bosniaks who didn't support this revolt, finally took over the Division again, and executed all leading mutineers, and then, after Germans got convinced that these men were in fact communists, they sent around 800 other suspected Handschar Division soldiers to Germany for "labor service". Of those, 265 who refused to work were sent to Neuengamme Concentration Camp where most of them died.

After this Handschar Division got back home and rest of the war they fought Partisans in north-eastern Bosnia and in Srem, and participated in Wegweiser, Save, Osterei, Maibaum, Maiglckchen, Vollmond, Fliegenfnger, Heidrose and Hackfleisch operations from February to September of 1944.

Another attempt of making a new SS Division, called "Kama", was never accomplished and the parts of that divisions (that was already in making) were later added to Handschar Division.

Apart of SS Handschar Division, it is believed that on the territory of ex Yugoslavia there were around 50-60 000 men who were part of different SS units, such as SS Handschar Division, SS Prinz Eugen Division(made mostly of Romanian and Yugoslavian volksdeutscher, SS Skenderbeg division and also "Serbisches Freiwilligen Korps".
Someone asked if this "Serbisches Freiwilligen Korps" was part of SS... Well at the begining they didn't... till the autumn 1944. when they were officially added to SS... And the number of men, in different sources goes from 12 thousands to 18-20 thousands, but number of 15 000 is most mentioned in literature.

I made it as simple as i could, and I hope this post put at least little bit of "light" on the SS units in ex Yu.

These are some photos of SS Handschar division:

Edited by Osman-pasha Kazanac - 20-Apr-2008 at 17:36
konstantinius View Drop Down
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2008 at 04:07
Does anyone have any info on Greek volunteers in the SS? 
" I do disagree with what you say but I'll defend to my death your right to do so."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12