Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

US signs missile defense deal with Poland.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: US signs missile defense deal with Poland.
    Posted: 28-Aug-2008 at 21:14
in case of Germany, Russia is the no 1 import country for gas and oil, followed by Norway and Britian. however they make about 1/3 of it, so Germany is not completely dependent on Russia or in other words Russia can't cut our oil & gas so Russias lever is not so big afterall.

from personal experience, China doesn't do so well overall. German companies have already started to pull out of China due to rising wages but primarily quality issues, half of them coming back to germany and the other half seeking for new countries to exploit. situation for common Chinese hasn't improved so much at all, at least for most of the population that does not in the industrial areas and not even for all of those. most of what those business papers talk about does not fit with what i can see and is usually just eye-washing.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2008 at 12:15
Originally posted by Temujin

Originally posted by Leonidas

yes, but who has the cash and who owes who? The US is pulling down the eurozone first, im still waiting to see if aussiland goes with it. Japan is pulling its head in  and the UK is already toasted. Deflating assets make for rich pickings, for who has the cash. BTW im hearing it is russian money that buys the good property in the UK while everyone else is struggling.

The Russians will sell their gas to europe no matter what, and if not then to China, Japan or even to the M/E. There are many other things you can stop spending on before you turn off the heating. If there is any time to recliam some lost ground i would imagine now would be it.

what you describe is a static situation, but economy is a cash flow, so it might be that we talk about two different things actually. the thing is, even if it appears that Russia or China have the US/European cash now, that doesn't mean it remains. Russia and China need the cash to spent on things. neither Russia nor China generate money, Russia for example gets it's money from selling ressources. it can however not sell the gas to China because China doesn't generate money, unlike Europe. the Chinese people are in general too poor to buy the gas, unlike the europeans who have a comparatively rich population that can afford buying the gas. japan is part of "the west" too, and the middle east has no market for gas. same is pretty much true for China, China produces western stuff for a western market in western-owned facilities. in a hypothetical situation, a China that ousted the western companies and seized them can still produce those goods but the western market is closed to them and again, the common Chinese people are too poor to buy them so they lost their source of income.
i understand it is in a state of flux. but it still doesn't change the situation at hand. cash flow is at the hands of those that produce and sell more stuff (that others want/need) relative to everyone else. so right now its energy, raw materials, food and then we can work into industrial production/goods. A great measure is the ability to earn foreign  currency, not access foreign debt. China does produce wealth, as does Russia it doesnt make much diffrnece on how they do. Its their ability to do so thats important.

Dont be fooled in thinking the Chinese are our factory hands, while they are not independant of our economies but they certianly dont depend  on us either. Inter Emerging market, asian and especally their internal trade is very big. Go to the main emerging markets like the PRC and yes they are relatively poor, but GDP is growing at a much greater clip, while in surplus and at a greater speed than population growth. Yep that means each person on average is getting richer. Rightly or wrongly, with an inflation spiral risking to break out, wages are increasing quite dramatically and with CCP approval. So its the story of the rising chinese consumer as well as producer.  In the US/UK they are experiancing deflating wealth, thanks to some history making levels of deverageing across their economy. Most industrial production was shifted offshore long ago, mainly to China. So we have the story of the declining anglo consumer. The producer part is limited at this point in time to high value and very effecient operaters. Who right now doing very well in exporting.

While one is rich and the other is poor, there is a transfer of wealth shifting over as we speak, so that gap you speak off - is narrowing.

Russia sells gas to turkey and also, if needed to iran like last year. The PRC buys LPG shipped from Australia so they can certainly afford the cheaper stuff to be piped in. FYI, the PRC sometimes competes with Japan over regional energy supply as they do over other stuff like wood chips, coal or iron. So resource rich Russia has choices and with them leverege, not Europe or the US.

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2008 at 21:22

yes, but who has the cash and who owes who? The US is pulling down the eurozone first, im still waiting to see if aussiland goes with it. Japan is pulling its head in  and the UK is already toasted. Deflating assets make for rich pickings, for who has the cash. BTW im hearing it is russian money that buys the good property in the UK while everyone else is struggling.

The Russians will sell their gas to europe no matter what, and if not then to China, Japan or even to the M/E. There are many other things you can stop spending on before you turn off the heating. If there is any time to recliam some lost ground i would imagine now would be it.

what you describe is a static situation, but economy is a cash flow, so it might be that we talk about two different things actually. the thing is, even if it appears that Russia or China have the US/European cash now, that doesn't mean it remains. Russia and China need the cash to spent on things. neither Russia nor China generate money, Russia for example gets it's money from selling ressources. it can however not sell the gas to China because China doesn't generate money, unlike Europe. the Chinese people are in general too poor to buy the gas, unlike the europeans who have a comparatively rich population that can afford buying the gas. japan is part of "the west" too, and the middle east has no market for gas. same is pretty much true for China, China produces western stuff for a western market in western-owned facilities. in a hypothetical situation, a China that ousted the western companies and seized them can still produce those goods but the western market is closed to them and again, the common Chinese people are too poor to buy them so they lost their source of income.
ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2008 at 20:06

Missile "Defense"? Most people, all governments included, are quite aware that there is nothing defensive about this missile system. The system is basically an offensive one, made to ensure the pre-emptive strike capability of the US. I mean, just look at the official reason--Iranian attack on Europe? Thats just a good joke, we all know Iran wants to wipe Israel off the map before it starts its inevitable conquest of Europe LOL

This missile offense system is basically going to have a ripple effect in the arms race.

And what to say about Poland... don't they have the EU to rely on incase of an attack?
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2008 at 19:11
Originally posted by Bankotsu

I worry that after Russia is dismembered and removed as a factor in european politics, Germany might act cocky, thinks it calls the shots and make land claims on Poland.

Poland's Kaczynski Wants to Stop German Land Claims
http://strasbourgnews.blogspot.com/2007/08/polan

Kaczynski lives in his own world wher Russians and German just wait for the oportunity to partition Poland again. Yet with about 9% support he has a chance to win next election as me playing for Barca. 
The fact is Germans are rather dangerous for Spain as the buy Mallorca and Canarias not for Poland. It's rather Polish who buy immobilities in Eastern Germany that are cheaper than in Poland. 
Bankotsu View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Bankotsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2008 at 15:31
I worry that after Russia is dismembered and removed as a factor in european politics, Germany might act cocky, thinks it calls the shots and make land claims on Poland.

Poland's Kaczynski Wants to Stop German Land Claims
http://strasbourgnews.blogspot.com/2007/08/polan
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2008 at 14:37
Originally posted by Bankotsu

Originally posted by Władysław Warnencz

I'd personally love to see Russia cut into a 100 small countries...

What about Germany?

If Russia is dismembered, German militarism might grow and be directed against Poland.

Lol, Bankotsu, I think Austria will suffer from German militarism first.
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2008 at 11:40

Anton,you seem to be an inteligent man,yet strike me with you're love torwards Russia and hatred to anything western...Just say you'de love to see a new Russian Empire occupying eastern Europe or even a new USSR and stop playing stupid...I'd personally love to see Russia cut into a 100 small countries...

You didn't understand anything Smile Neither do I love to see new Russian Empire with occupied Eastern Europe nor do I hate anythig western. My point is that EU and Russia should collaborate rather than compete and that EU should finnaly start independent from USA politics.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2008 at 11:30

right now the Russians, the 'friendly' middle eastern petro-economies and the Chinese. They hold most of the US debt (treasuries) right now and with that the power to make the greenback worth less than it already is. They don't because it would cause economic chaos, but they have that choice. not the other way around. The question should be, who's paying a mortage to who? 

right now its the I.O.USAWink

economic chaos cuts both ways and the established "western countries" would recover sooner than the newcomers and the "west" who caused this knows this, this is the reason that this situation exists in the first place, i mean its more or less secure because if i fall, you fall with me mentality.

Bankotsu View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Bankotsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2008 at 04:06

I'd personally love to see Russia cut into a 100 small countries...

What about Germany?

If Russia is dismembered, German militarism might grow and be directed against Poland.
Władysław Warnencz View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Suspended

Quote Władysław Warnencz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2008 at 00:14

Anton,you seem to be an inteligent man,yet strike me with you're love torwards Russia and hatred to anything western...Just say you'de love to see a new Russian Empire occupying eastern Europe or even a new USSR and stop playing stupid...I'd personally love to see Russia cut into a 100 small countries...

Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2008 at 20:50

i assume the latter Cheers

No,  I tried to be friendly. Actually I think you play stupid. Wink

economy was only one of the reasons for the SU collapse but it was not the main reason why Poland etc joined NATO.
True. But not due to the real danger from Russian side either.

Berezovksy....? Big%20smile
What Berezovski? Many politologists including those working in American government who claimed and still claim that angering Russia by joining "czhechoslovacian navy" to NATO was a huge mistake and unnecessary. Not to forget that when Russian forces were withdrawn from Berlin Gorbachev was promissed that NATO will not move to East. Here is nowadays reaction of Russia. They all simply cannot be anti-american.

this is not an evidence of decline as this barrier has already been established at the very beginnign of the Cold War and hasn't changed since. contrary to the examples i gave (afghanistan, Serbia), so if anything, the US has not declined but the contrary occured.

It's a sign that even best USA allies do no agree to condemn Russia and to let Georgia and Ukraine to NATO.

as i said: eventually...
Eventually means after few decades.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2008 at 19:36

right now the Russians, the 'friendly' middle eastern petro-economies and the Chinese. They hold most of the US debt (treasuries) right now and with that the power to make the greenback worth less than it already is. They don't because it would cause economic chaos, but they have that choice. not the other way around. The question should be, who's paying a mortage to who? 

economic chaos cuts both ways and the established "western countries" would recover sooner than the newcomers and the "west" who caused this knows this, this is the reason that this situation exists in the first place, i mean its more or less secure because if i fall, you fall with me mentality.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2008 at 19:29
Originally posted by Penelope

Yes, a very common misconception indeed. Similar to people thinking that China and North Korea are good friends, which definately isnt the case.

yeah i know, thats not what i implied. i mean Goergia and Russia obviously aren't good friend either. however China feels comfort with NK at its borders and not the US.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2008 at 19:28
Originally posted by Anton

No reason to discuss the issue anymore. Either you don't understand what I mena or I don't.

i assume the latter Cheers

You better be carefull what you read. I mean is that major reason of SU system collaps was economical. The main reason of returning of Russia as geopolitical power is economical again. In both cases it was changes in resource prices. Besides, recent reaction of EU on the Georgian issue is not something what USA wouldd expect.

economy was only one of the reasons for the SU collapse but it was not the main reason why Poland etc joined NATO.

I do not understand how could people who worked in American government be anti-american. See my recent citation.

Berezovksy....? Big%20smile

This is what I mean -- relative decline. USA is not the only "superpower" anymore.

this is not an evidence of decline as this barrier has already been established at the very beginnign of the Cold War and hasn't changed since. contrary to the examples i gave (afghanistan, Serbia), so if anything, the US has not declined but the contrary occured.

Georgia's good example. Good example of what I said -- there are areas where Russia appears showed herself to be geopolitically stronger than US. US simply has no ways of influencing Russia on this question.

as i said: eventually...
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2008 at 13:49

Originally posted by Sparten

Temujin; Russia has a lot of cash lots, something US dose not these days.

Now imagine if they and their buds the Chinese decide to dump all those greebacks they hold................

this is funny because the "cash" Russia has comes from the West (europe) and same goes for China which prides itself with western achievements and money. i ask you who really has the money? Wink

Edited by Leonidas - 25-Aug-2008 at 13:51
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2008 at 07:36

Now imagine if they and their buds the Chinese decide to dump all those greebacks they hold................

this is funny because the "cash" Russia has comes from the West (europe) and same goes for China which prides itself with western achievements and money. i ask you who really has the money? Wink

oh yeah and BTW, why does everyone think Russia and China are so good friends?

Yes, a very common misconception indeed. Similar to people thinking that China and North Korea are good friends, which definately isnt the case.
The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations.
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2008 at 21:47

this has nothing to do with nukes alone but with the ability of global influence and ability for intervention, something Russia lost almost totally (Serbia, Afghanistan, just to mention the closest). i already said you number of nukes is pointless because even one nuke alone is thread enough so considder France in your neighbourhood.
No reason to discuss the issue anymore. Either you don't understand what I mena or I don't.

thats what you think, Europe (west AND east) has descided for the US not because of "oil prices". LOL

You better be carefull what you read. I mean is that major reason of SU system collaps was economical. The main reason of returning of Russia as geopolitical power is economical again. In both cases it was changes in resource prices. Besides, recent reaction of EU on the Georgian issue is not something what USA wouldd expect.

yeah, the anti-american ones as well. see above why i am right. 
I do not understand how could people who worked in American government be anti-american. See my recent citation.

there is no decline of the US, actually since the fall of the Soviet Union it is globally pretty much without competition except for China, or why do you think the "Axis of Evil" member Northkorea does no longer appear in the headlines?

This is what I mean -- relative decline. USA is not the only "superpower" anymore.

US can't intervene in the sphere of China but it can and does in the sphere of Russia, look at Baltics, Poland, Ukraine (partially), Georgia (eventually).
Georgia's good example. Good example of what I said -- there are areas where Russia appears showed herself to be geopolitically stronger than US. US simply has no ways of influencing Russia on this question.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2008 at 19:43
Originally posted by Anton

The equilibrium wasn't destroyed as Russia has as many neclear weapons as Soviet Union did. I repeate again it is equilibrium in strategic nuclear weapon not geopolitical victories/looses.

this has nothing to do with nukes alone but with the ability of global influence and ability for intervention, something Russia lost almost totally (Serbia, Afghanistan, just to mention the closest). i already said you number of nukes is pointless because even one nuke alone is thread enough so considder France in your neighbourhood.

OK, but this victory is temporal and lasted as long as low oil prices.

thats what you think, Europe (west AND east) has descided for the US not because of "oil prices". LOL

Not only me but many other political analysts think in similar manner. Not only Russian and pro-Russian ones.

yeah, the anti-american ones as well. see above why i am right.

You underestimate Russian size and geopolitical influence. Actually many analysts in western press start to speak about decline (relative!) of USA and rise of Russia and China (and possibly some others like India and Brazyl in the future). So actually, so far I do not see Austrian destiny for Russia. 

there is no decline of the US, actually since the fall of the Soviet Union it is globally pretty much without competition except for China, or why do you think the "Axis of Evil" member Northkorea does no longer appear in the headlines? US can't intervene in the sphere of China but it can and does in the sphere of Russia, look at Baltics, Poland, Ukraine (partially), Georgia (eventually).
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2008 at 19:32

oh yeah and BTW, why does everyone think Russia and China are so good friends?

Edited by Temujin - 24-Aug-2008 at 19:44
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>