Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Did ancient Iranians have blue eyes and red hairs?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Did ancient Iranians have blue eyes and red hairs?
    Posted: 30-Mar-2009 at 21:29
By ancient Iranians, I mean original Iranian speaking people, not the people of Iran, Afghanistan, ...

Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2009 at 21:44
So what if some of them did?  It is not grounds for a wholesale revision of the history of Iran or ancient Persia.  Does the fact that some of them might have had blue eyes or red hair change anything that they did?
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2009 at 23:02
They had purple eyes and pink hair 
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2009 at 00:46
What do blue eyes and red hair have to do with anything historical?
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2009 at 01:03
Originally posted by Bulldog

They had purple eyes and pink hair 

I had once read about such a race of people- they had such a thilly language

I think this has a lot to do with the Indo European theory and obviously over time the intermixed with other races, The Tarim basin mommies demonstrate how far east these Indo European tribes came.
Such a question would take a lot of research to really answer but it is a good topic.

Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Ardashir View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Ardashir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2009 at 01:29
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

By ancient Iranians, I mean original Iranian speaking people, not the people of Iran, Afghanistan, ...

Your question is not clear, Cyrus. Certainly there were some elements in the Iranian society having such traits. But the majority were dark-haired and dark-eyed.

Regards
http://khakokhoon.blogfa.com
Ali View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Ali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2009 at 04:32

Yes they did.
And many modern-day Persians also have blue eyes and red hair.
And so do many Afghans, and Kurds and North-West Pakistanis, and Kashmiris.
And you ask this because?

Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2009 at 04:45
Yes, we did have, but now the majority have dark hair and dark eyes. Half of my cousins have light hair and light eyes, but not me. One of my cousin had beautiful blue eyes and blond hair when he was a kid now his hair is brown and his eyes are darker; I wonder why?  Smile
Anfører
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2009 at 06:57
I think the important question is that from what region the original Iranian-speaking people migrated to the Iranian plateau, it could be from the southern Europe and Greece throuh Anatolia, or the eastern Europe throuh the Caucasus, or from the east, somewhere in Kazakhstan and Central Asia or northern China where Tocharians and Yueh-chih lived, or maybe even from the south throuh the Persian gulf!
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2009 at 08:19
It's hard to know actually. A portrait of an iranian with those characteristics cannot be the main basis of such a hypothesis. Maybe such people were rare and therefore popular to be depicted.

However, these characteristics you mention fit the Thracians. They were supposed to be redheads. In the case of the Iranians, maybe there was not a standard complexion. What if you had light and fair people? Maybe what became to be the iranian speaking people in prehistoric times, was a mix of 2 or different people that created diversity. You never know.

Så nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2009 at 08:27
I'm absolutely certain some Iranians had light hair and blue eyes, just like some Iranians do today, but I see no reason to believe it was any more common back then. Since rare traits are often considered more desirable (light skin, light hair, blue eyes etc.) they will be overrepresented in art, so pictures like those are nothing to go by. Judging by art you'd have to conclude that the majority of Renaissance Italians were blonde and blue-eyed, that ancient Greeks were all heavily muscled and the Japanese all had chalkwhite skin.

Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2009 at 09:49
I believe the aryanization of the native people of Iran was so much more culturally than ethnically, so there is no reason that modern people of Iran look like the original Aryan immigrants, except a small minority, but there was certainly a reason that we see Rustam, the Scythian national hero of Iran, had red hair and Herodotus says about Scythians "they have all deep blue eyes, and bright red hair" (herodotus 4:108)
calvo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote calvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2009 at 12:11
I thought that the "supposed" Indo-European homeland was in Central Asia, within the borders of what is today Kazakstan, Uzbekistan, Tajikstan etc.
From there, the proto Indo-european speakers migrated south to Persia and India, and westwards into Europe; where local inhabitants adopted their language.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ancient Iranians, or proto indo-european speakers, had blond hair and blue eyes among them; because today, many people living in the same region, such as many Tajiks, some Afghans, and even some of the Turkic nationalities such as Kazakh and Kirgyz, also have these traits; but I would very much doubt that the percentage of "blonds" was considerably greater than what you have among these people today.

Roman sources did describe the ancient Iranian Alans as having "dirty yellow" hair and ugly facial features; but most of these descriptions could have been exagerated because steppe people barely lived up to Mediterranean standards of beauty.
The modern-day descendants of ancient Alans are supposed to be the Ossetians, and few of them are blond.

Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2009 at 12:15
I think that Renaissance Italians as Reginmund says are a perfect example. It's so close to our time but still pretty far from reality.

Now, Scythians, lived in northern areas compared to people living in Iran which means that the climate did have an effect after many generations. If the original Iranian speaking people came from the area of Scythia, then probably Herodotus quote would apply to them as well.

Also, what if the iranic speaking people of Scythia had not 100% Iranic speaking background but they were Iranized. Maybe the natives of Scythia (that with the addition of iranic speakers became the Scythians) were light.

I think what we're talking here is prehistory, so we can't give a certain answer.

Så nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!
Slayertplsko View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Slayertplsko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2009 at 12:15
Who knows, but the interesting fact is, that even some negroid people have blond hair (some tribe on one of the Solomon Islands).
A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it's not open.
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2009 at 13:27

I think the important question is that from what region the original Iranian-speaking people migrated to the Iranian plateau, it could be from the southern Europe and Greece throuh Anatolia, or the eastern Europe throuh the Caucasus, or from the east, somewhere in Kazakhstan and Central Asia or northern China where Tocharians and Yueh-chih lived,

All of these are conventional theories of Indo-European migrations.  Of course, these all are very possible, especially the 2d and the 3d.
Smile

or maybe even from the south throuh the Persian gulf!

But this one is unlikely
Σαυρομάτης
Ardashir View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Ardashir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2009 at 15:36

I believe the aryanization of the native people of Iran was so much more culturally than ethnically, so there is no reason that modern people of Iran look like the original Aryan immigrants, except a small minority, but there was certainly a reason that we see Rustam, the Scythian national hero of Iran, had red hair and Herodotus says about Scythians "they have all deep blue eyes, and bright red hair" (herodotus 4:108)

QUOTE=Cyrus Shahmiri]I believe the aryanization of the native people of Iran was so much more culturally than ethnically, so there is no reason that modern people of Iran look like the original Aryan immigrants, except a small minority, but there was certainly a reason that we see Rustam, the Scythian national hero of Iran, had red hair and Herodotus says about Scythians "they have all deep blue eyes, and bright red hair" (herodotus 4:108)[/QUOTE]

I see that your obsession with Rustam's red hair is not over yet, Cyrus. I showed you that Fereidun's hair and eyes were BLACK, that Jamshid's doughters both had BLACK hair and eyes and that Rustam's own mother (Rudabeh) had BLACK hair and eyes and that his father (Zaal) had BLACK eyes and WHITE hair (strangly tho). So, why do you keep ignoring these evidences and stick to base your theory on a single case? I am afraid you can't even read Shahnamed in Persian properly, as you misinterpretated KAFUR once.

BTW, as you hopefully know, Rustam was a Scythian, a stepp people. Stepp people used to form confederations and many tribes who might have had aliegn racial affinities usually joined these socio-political entities as the case of Hun confederation clearly shows. So, we can't base our theories on anthropological reports of step people. BTW, this is a reconstruction of a Scythian man from Ukraine:

I rest my case here.

http://khakokhoon.blogfa.com
Emil_Diniyev View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Emil_Diniyev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2009 at 17:31
There are blonds etc...in Iran but they are from the Northern part of country. Wich means Azeri not Persian.

But seriously, most of blonds in Iran are Azeri. Its also well known in iran. There are of course Persians too, but not much.

Edited by Emil_Diniyev - 31-Mar-2009 at 17:43
Emil_Diniyev View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Emil_Diniyev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2009 at 17:33

What is this original speaking people thing?

People of Iran and A-stan are unoriginal Iranian speaking peopls? LOL

Edited by Emil_Diniyev - 31-Mar-2009 at 17:37
Ali View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Ali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2009 at 17:36

I think the important question is that from what region the original Iranian-speaking people migrated to the Iranian plateau,

Most likely from the Afghanistan-Pakistan Hindu Kush mountain range.

it could be from the southern Europe and Greece throuh Anatolia, or the eastern Europe throuh the Caucasus,

Genetic evidence has rendered the european explanation highly improbable.
This is the year 2009. Which decade (or century) are you posting from?

or from the east, somewhere in Kazakhstan and Central Asia or northern China where Tocharians and Yueh-chih lived, or maybe even from the south throuh the Persian gulf!

Yes, from the east. Afghanistan/Pakistan border region appears to be the best candidate so far.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>